Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: EV owners, will your next car be an EV? If yes, please carefully select your use case (city/highway)
Yes, my next car will be an EV again, and it is intended for both city & highway duties 85 44.97%
Yes, my next car will be an EV again for city use, but I have/will have an ICE car for highway duties 47 24.87%
No, but my next car will be a hybrid 26 13.76%
No, I'm done with EVs. My next car will have an ICE 13 6.88%
Not sure, haven't made up my mind yet 18 9.52%
Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2024, 12:40   #46
BHPian

Re: Current EV owners, will your next car also be an EV? (Poll for EV owners only!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Longer life, I don't thinks so. There are enough studies done which says that EV's having high instant torque chews the rubber at a faster pace than ICE cars, having similar rubber composition and similar driving patterns.

Sorry, I didn't understand your other statement of having low rolling resistance, how that depends whether the car is an ICE or EV ?

Yes, motor regen is a good technique to save your discs and pads, but won't that interfere with your smooth driving. How the passengers would feel with that jerky drive due to regen ?

EV owners - I would like to know about the resale value/experience of the EV, has anyone yet sold any of their prized possession ?
Hey Nomad

1. If you look at the tyres pressures in an EV, they are recommended 3-4 psi more than their ICE counterparts

2. EVs nowadays come out with low rolling resistance tyres and the contact point with roads is low

3. Compared to an ICE where the engines load is mostly on the front tyres, the battery pack in an EV being at the centre of the car evenly distributes the weight on all four tyres

4. Due to all of the above factors, even if the torque in an EV is instantaneous, the tyres do not degrade much compared to an ICE car

5. The braking effect of a motor is much smoother than actual combo of brake pads and the disc - the inertia is less felt inside for the motor braking

If you want to verify the above point, call the nearest MG or any other well engineered EV dealership and take a long test drive of more than 30 km to come to a conclusion

Happy Motoring !!
Humane India is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 13:24   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (12)
Re: Current EV owners, will your next car also be an EV? (Poll for EV owners only!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Humane India View Post
Hey Ishan
1. To be very clear when I am talking about my Diesel car it is a refernce towards all ICE cars and not just Diesels particularly, it is a refernce point
This is precisely what is flawed in your analysis. Drawing broad stroke conclusions using your nose heavy diesel car as a template for all ICE vehicles is like me passing comments on all EVs based on my experience in an MG Comet. Do you think the Comet is as balanced as all EVs you claim are? I for one found it to be less stable than my 20 year old WagonR yet I do not use my experience in a Comet to comment on the balance and dynamic ability of other EVs. Similarly I do not think your Jetta diesel ought to be used as a reference point for all ICE cars. Have you experienced the smoothness and balance of a Subaru with a Boxer engine and symmetrical all wheel drive? I’d wager not thus please refrain from making such sweeping statements it simply is not scientifically fair to use such limited experience and data to draw the conclusions that you are.
Quote:
The conclusions on smoothness and centre of gravity can only be understood when you drive an EV more than 1 year
I have driven a couple of EVs none that I would term as flag bearers of the technology but I would still say you need to drive a lot more ICE vehicles before drawing conclusions on smoothness and centre of gravity. Do sometime try out a petrol Subaru if you ever get the chance
Quote:
Being able to drive with less fatigue for 30% more on highways compared to a sub 40L ICE vehicle is true for an EV
have you actually driven all vehicles available under 40 lacs to draw this conclusion or is it again based on your experience with a diesel Jetta? Things like gear ratios, a petrol motor instead of a diesel one, and good ergonomics paired with well bolstered seats are what make for a less fatiguing experience on the highway and I can confidently say that I found driving a Nexon EV for 100kms to be more tiresome than driving my Kizashi. That said I know it is unfair to compare a Nexon no matter what powertrain it comes with, to a Kizashi and I know that I have not tried out any premium EVs like the Ioniq or any Tesla so I shall reserve my comments until then. I just don’t think you have sampled everything out there to form your conclusions either.
Quote:
Nothing personal against you BUT if you already drive OR had driven an EV for a long term may be you would have understood more of what I was tring to put forward - I can understand if you are still driving an ICE car
I actually have. These days no matter which way you stand, with the level of marketing and dwindling ICE competition to compare it with, one can hardly stay away from EVs for example three close relatives own EVs just in my part of town itself and I use them regularly. I find poorly calibrated and sometimes inconsistent throttle response to be quite fatiguing to deal with (I am someone who hates turbo lag in diesels and preprogrammed throttle lag in DBW systems as well) but I do appreciate the seamlessness of a single gear allowing one to nip to the shops and back or through jammed up traffic easier than ever before. Perhaps since range is so inconsistent and easily drops in EVs, everyone tends to adopt a more smooth driving style and in that sense I can understand that it is easier to drive an EV efficiently compared to driving any ICE vehicle for max efficiency.
Quote:
I will be writing an in-depth analysis along with precise data very soon
I await this.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 9th July 2024 at 13:36.
IshaanIan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 14:51   #48
BHPian

Part of the reason why this thread was started was due to a recent report from an extremely big and credible consultancy that mentions that in the US and other western countries, a lot of EV customers may opt to buy an ICE or a hybrid car. I wanted to take a different approach (and I don't want to discredit any organization in any manner), which I am sure a lot of people would have also thought, and it's not a radical thought.

A lot of surveys and news drops are planned by car manufacturing companies (barring a few who only sell ICE; a lot of companies are transitioning, and some are yet to transition in any meaningful way), lobbyists of OMCs, and nations that have an extremely high interest in ensuring that ICE vehicles continue for the longest. So these new drops, surveys, etc. work very well for them, even if they create an iota of doubt in the mind of an existing user and more so in the mind of a prospective user.

I would like to again mention that I am not discrediting any organization (I have only referred to a consultancy since their report is the reason that some of the discussion was started here), and I am sure that they would have enough and more data to substantiate their research and findings. However, the point that I am making here is that since the technology is still relatively new and there are different approaches that are followed by different companies (and a couple of companies in the US have gone belly up), the audience at large is quite confused and apprehensive, so such unwarranted characters (with dubious intentions) should also be thought of while placing reliance.
youknowitbetter is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 17:02   #49
BHPian

Voted for option A. Will definitely need a car with a bigger battery, say 70-80kWh and a realistic expressway range of 400-500km. I specifically mention expressway because average speeds are higher on access controlled roads and so is consumption. Currently drive a Kona (Hyundai Kona Electric @ 1,60,000 km | Cost of ownership) and have no plans of selling it. Don’t really like driving diesel cars anymore and absolutely dread driving any manual in a city. Will use Kona as a city car if and when a good upgrade comes around. Longest drive I’ve done in Kona was 750km in a day and this was in 2021 when fast chargers were hard to come by. I’m sure things have changed a lot since, but having a bigger battery will always be preferred.
ADI7YAK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 17:22   #50
BHPian

Had a kona, have a Ioniq 5 now. Never going back to ICE.

How can anyone drive a ICE vehicle, it is noisy, smelly, vibrates, costly and slow.

Last edited by Turbanator : 9th July 2024 at 21:35. Reason: Let's stick on the topic.
mohanphadnis is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th July 2024, 23:43   #51
BHPian

My vote is based on 2 relatives who have a Kona, Ioniq 5 and a EV6 between them.

1 of them has sold their do it all diesel Duster and bought the Kona for city use from the other who replaced it with the Ioniq 5. The former still believes the hassles of charging in India on highways is too much hence their replacement for the duster, a 2023 Tucson diesel AT. The other says 450-500 km is all I need and its reliable, silent etc. Entirely based on outlook really. I personally do not even like electric scooters, forget a car, the time is not yet at the stage where we can have an affordable, good quality EV and a good charging network.
100Kmphormore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 08:14   #52
BHPian

I don’t own an EV currently so I will refrain from voting but I have owned an EV from 2014-2018 when they were majorly a California thingy, and many close friends own EVs today (majorly MG ZS EV).

Currently, my two cars have designated roles of a city car and a highway tourer. So it’s my intention to replace the city car with an EV in a year or so and the highway tourer with a strong hybrid (when necessary).

An EV with about 50kwh and 20L price-point (already considering MG ZS) will satisfy almost 90% of my car usage including occasional daytrips to relatives within Telangana. For rest 10%, designated highway tourer is anyways on duty.
Comrade is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 09:03   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by youknowitbetter View Post
Part of the reason why this thread was started was due to a recent report from an extremely big and credible consultancy that mentions that in the US and other western countries, a lot of EV customers may opt to buy an ICE or a hybrid car.
Exactly!

In this survey by Team BHP we aim for transparency - the questions are up there and all readers can see who voted for what. Quite unlike a market research done by McKinsey or Pew etc where you need to take their word on coverage, sample spread, surveyor bias etc. Here at Team BHP a member can go and check what another voting member has written about EVs in the past and which cars does he/she own and how he/she voted in earlier surveys. And Team BHP does not make or sell cars. Team BHP has zero bias.

Transition to EVs is the single biggest most impactful change in this industry since Karl Benz invented the motor car. Small surprise then that we have so many contradictory views - it is only natural.

Thank God for Team BHP.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 10th July 2024 at 09:05.
V.Narayan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 10:24   #54
BHPian

Call me pessimistic or offtopic or whatever but I have never been able to digest the EV craze. We are a country where apartment complexes cannot be imagined, in large cities particularly, without Diesel Generatersets because powercuts are inevitable. "100%" power backup is a premium feature. Everywhere else inverters rule. Shifting to EVs doesn't add up. It looks more like peer pressure(from west), to keep up, before having fundamentals in place by the government. Hybrids make all the more sense for us. Also the illusion of EVs being "clean" while charging them on electricity generated by Thermal power plants is made a marketing tool.
Old 10th July 2024, 12:22   #55
BHPian

^^It is cheap & economical to run & returns the extra spend within 5 years. Simple.

The pollution caused for generating the power from thermal power plants that a car uses is pittance when compared with the pollution by ICE cars.

Power failure in Indian cities is one of many such inconveniences & does not really come in the way of owning or charging an EV.
Quaser is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 12:40   #56
BHPian

We have a ZS EV and have covered 41,000 kms in 2 years. We also have a five year old Hyundai Venue DCT as a very sparsely used second car. Neither my better half nor I ever use the Venue unless we have to.

Even for road trips we, as a family, are willing to spend the extra time required for charging and never opt to use the Venue. We have made one 1300 km round trip and more than a couple of 700 km round trips with all the usual delays in charging but it was well worth it.

The only time we used the Venue was to go to Sringeri, Karnataka from Chennai where plugshare didn't give us enough confidence because I was travelling with elderly people. Driving the Venue on the highway was painful in comparison.

The cherry on the cake is that we have a 10 kw solar plant at home which makes running the car almost free.

Our next car will definitely be an EV but hopefully with a 70 kw battery, but the ZS is perfect for us now.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 14:21   #57
BHPian

Own Punch EV and a 13 years old Toyota Etios. I have voted for "No but my next car will be Hybrid" reason being I will have to replace Etios at some point and for a highway cruiser with 5 people on board with a week's luggage no EV available in the hindsight so a hybrid vehicle like Hycross make lot of sense.
DHARM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 18:06   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Each car owner has a unique situation in terms of needs {from the car} and resources {to support an EV} and that leads to unique preferences of what will work for A versus what will work for B.
Absolutely agreed with all your points.

I also bought an EV recently because it felt very pleasant to drive an EV. I loved the one pedal driving and the constant available torque without any interruption.
ecenandu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 18:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Call me pessimistic or offtopic or whatever but I have never been able to digest the EV craze. We are a country where apartment complexes cannot be imagined, in large cities particularly, without Diesel Generatersets because powercuts are inevitable. "100%" power backup is a premium feature.
Don't worry in coming 5 years, diesel gensets in societies will be replaced by Battery Energy Storage System (BeSS). Recently Gensol got multiple contracts to implement large scale BeSS.

There are already discussions happening on ground to implement same solutions at society level.

Link

Excerpt from Article

Quote:
It will supply electricity on an "On-Demand" basis to Gujarat state's Discoms during peak and off-peak hours, thereby, extending renewable energy availability beyond solar hours, fulfilling Energy Storage Purchase Obligations, and enhancing grid resilience.

Last edited by ferrarirules : 10th July 2024 at 18:20.
ferrarirules is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 10th July 2024, 18:32   #60
BHPian

Purchase price of EVs become much lower than ICE vehicles and it's happening in China

All formats of ICE, Hybrid will be costlier than EVs in the near future, as per the below graph

Source : Bloomberg

Current EV owners, will your next car also be an EV? (Poll for EV owners only!)-20240710_182403.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th July 2024 at 20:04. Reason: Image aligned to the right; corrected.
BrokenHW is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks