Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2024, 10:38   #1
BHPian

Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?

The EV's drive train as opposed to ICE makes it possible to rethink some of the characteristics of the car. I invite you to put your thinking caps on and indulge in a fun Gedanken experiment to rethink every aspect of the the automobile including (but not limited to) aspects of its drive train, space utilization, safety aspects etc. There can be multiple ideas which are interrelated. For example in the space utilization, why not a big frunk and a nominal trunk. This can go well with RWD by default for example. You can either propose an (or multiple) idea or can take apart some of the ideas suggested and improve upon it or explain why it is not a good idea or can add additional constraints (for example the frunk/trunk exchange what does it mean for safety/crash testing etc).

I request you to skip the obvious ones like larger range, faster charging or other ways to improve EV penetration etc. Special points for crazier ideas which no one has thought of, or pointers to obscure ideas that others are working on. Remember the idea is to have maximum fun and some interesting knowledge.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st July 2024 at 12:39.
electric_eel is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 11:52   #2
BHPian

re: Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?

Bring back the front bench seats like the old Ambassadors and Premier Padminis, now that there is no need for gear levers.

Do away with painting the body and instead cover every square inch with solar panels. No sunroofs either!

Include a portable tire inflator in all cars now that going to a petrol bunk has become unnecessary.

Redesign the accelerator and brake pedal to lend itself to one pedal driving and encourage drivers to use the brake pedal only for emergencies. This will reduce leg fatigue.

Have wireless induction chargers available for slow charging at the parking spots at the workplace and at home so that there is no need for plugging in anything.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 12:00   #3
Team-BHP Support

re: Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?

- Get rid of boot space for luggage
- Use the space for EV batteries (and spare tyre)
- Luggage storage on the roof

Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?-screenshot_1.jpg

For groceries, frunk can be used. Outstation luggage storage can be integrated into the roof and made to look sleek (rather than an ugly separate unit like a roof box).

Should I apply for a 'design patent' for this idea or let it pass?

Last edited by SmartCat : 1st July 2024 at 12:01.
SmartCat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 16:11   #4
BHPian

Re: Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
Bring back the front bench seats like the old Ambassadors and Premier Padminis, now that there is no need for gear levers.
+1 That's something that can be done but anyways to integrate the arm rests...
Or maybe better, something like the magic seats of the jazz
Re-thinking EVs - Any innovative design/space utilization ideas?-magic-seats-jazz.jpg

I have ended up sleeping once in my Kona with AC running when connected to a charger. Would have loved to have the magic seats or some form of a sleeping bench...

Quote:
Do away with painting the body and instead cover every square inch with solar panels.No sunroofs either!
+1 No sunroof and even if not all panels then atleast one small one to cool the car and run the auxiliaries is also good enough...

Quote:
Have wireless induction chargers available for slow charging at the parking spots at the workplace and at home so that there is no need for plugging in anything.
Maybe certified extension boxes with earth rod along with the portable chargers
EV Fan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 16:39   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
- Get rid of boot space for luggage
- Use the space for EV batteries (and spare tyre)
- Luggage storage on the roof

Attachment 2623009

For groceries, frunk can be used. Outstation luggage storage can be integrated into the roof and made to look sleek (rather than an ugly separate unit like a roof box).

Should I apply for a 'design patent' for this idea or let it pass?

Doesn't this setup increase the drag and significantly reduce the already limited range for the EVs?
Earthroamer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 17:09   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Do away with painting the body and instead cover every square inch with solar panels. No sunroofs either!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post

+1 No sunroof and even if not all panels then atleast one small one to cool the car and run the auxiliaries is also good enough...
I like this a lot. Any one who is knowledgeable about this (EV_Fan ?) can you comment how much would it add to the cost (I mean the crazier one where we cover most of the car with solar panels).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthroamer View Post
Doesn't this setup increase the drag and significantly reduce the already limited range for the EVs?
Also I think getting the heavier luggage on top is a pain plus the worse driving dynamics of the resulting setup (can be compensated by the heavy battery but still).
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2024, 17:27   #7
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

electric_eel - thanks for starting this thread.

I actually wonder what will be the car architecture in future. We don't need as big a bonnet/engine bay anymore. How can the car manufacturers use that space. Basically the skateboard offers end less possibilities to the manufacturers, but I think at the moment manufacturers are not coming with radical (or crazy or funky) ideas because they want to go through a transition wherein people get to buy a conventional looking car which has electric powertrain.

One area which I would love to see if if cabin space can be utilised more, though easier said than done, but can be try to push the rear seats even further back so that boot (in all body structures but apart from sedans) space is minimised and the passengers can enjoy lot of leg space (imagine if this happens in a Harrier or MG Hector) and the kid of space can be created. I understand that it is not possible the way I am saying as practically rear seats are near about on the top of the rear wheel.

Though one thing that while definitely change in better integration of screens in the dash board as a lot of them still look they have been placed in the middle of the car like an after market accessory.
Old 1st July 2024, 23:20   #8
BHPian

I’d like to see a EV like an OMNI. Using skateboard architecture to get a compact 7 seater with a large battery pack
mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 00:36   #9
BHPian

EV manufacturers can opt for modular design inside the car, except for dashboard and driver's seat.

Customer can be provided with kits to use the remaining part of car as per their choice. It should be feasible to alter the design with minimal effort.

This will usher in new revolution and bring many innovative products into the market to meet customer's need.

Hopefully one day we may witness it !!
dgindia is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 08:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
I’d like to see a EV like an OMNI. Using skateboard architecture to get a compact 7 seater with a large battery pack
This sounds good in principle, but what do you think about the crumple zone in the front and the safety of the driver and the front passengers?
Old 2nd July 2024, 08:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:
This sounds good in principle, but what do you think about the crumple zone in the front and the safety of the driver and the front passengers?
if the ID.Buzz can meet safety norms why not an OMNI type, it just should not be from Maruthi
mally2 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 09:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:

Include a portable tire inflator in all cars now that going to a petrol bunk has become unnecessary.

Redesign the accelerator and brake pedal to lend itself to one pedal driving and encourage drivers to use the brake pedal only for emergencies. This will reduce leg fatigue.

Bench seat, inflator, and one pedal drive already there in the Ioniq. Wireless charging leads to lots of losses.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 09:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgindia View Post
EV manufacturers can opt for modular design inside the car, except for dashboard and driver's seat.

Customer can be provided with kits to use the remaining part of car as per their choice. It should be feasible to alter the design with minimal effort.

Yeah this is brilliant. I like this a lot. Basically further along the https://www.openmotors.co/ line I guess. Point to ponder is how exactly will road worthiness be
certified. It "works" for trucks but I am not sure what would be situation for private vehicles. May be an expert can comment: but there could also be economical implications for the OEMs. Not sure how open would they be to it.

On a related note one thing that OEMs can do right away is to open up their infotainment system for external programming. Particularly for OEMs whose strong suit is not software development (our own desi OEMS), it would be a strategic way to counter silicon valley biggies like Tesla. Unfortunately knowing some the thinking that goes into firms they would often like to hold back whatever IP they have often to detrimental effect.

Last edited by electric_eel : 2nd July 2024 at 09:58.
Old 2nd July 2024, 13:12   #14
BHPian

Hi, many of EV users shared that rear seating position is slightly knee up position due to battery positioning. I would like to have slightly raised rear roof (just like earlier Safari), to make rear seats slight raised to make rear seating more comfortable. It may impact 15km to 25km range due to marginally lower drag coefficient, but for some of users seating comfort is equally or more important than 15km to 25km additional range due to better drag coefficient.

Beside, I would like to have provision of 30 to 50 litre refrigerator at the front tunnel (upto front arm rest).

If possible, instead of front frunk (under the bonnet), EV manufacturers can provide provision of a power bank, which can charge the EV upto 5% to 10% in case of emergency. The power bank will charge simultaneously when someone charge her/his EV and can have idle back up upto 45 to 60 days.

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 2nd July 2024 at 13:13.
GoBabyGo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2024, 14:46   #15
Senior - BHPian

Current form/body shape of sedans/hatchbacks/SUVs are based on the mechanical constraints of having a engine at the front (which itself is originated from the carriage - where horse is before the cart).
For a modern EV, there is no need of a bonnet (functionally). It can be a aerodynamically designed mono-volume shape.
Other changes which will eventually happen IMHO:
  • Hub based motors driving and steering individual wheels
  • Elimination of side mirrors
  • Electronic screen replacing the front windscreen (this would be really sad)
  • Solar panels wrapped organically
  • Battery less cars which can go/glide on tracks/roads providing electricity
  • etc
Guna is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks