Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th June 2024, 14:09   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric M3 will "beat everything", says BMW M CEO; Hints at quad motors & 1,341 BHP

Speaking in an interview, Frank van Meel, CEO of BMW M Division, revealed a few details of the brand's upcoming electric M3 performance sedan. The BMW M CEO claimed that the electric M3 "will beat everything you have ever seen."

The new BMW M3 electric will be the M division's first high-performance EV based on the brand's Neue Klasse sedan. The electric M3 will feature a quad-electric motor setup and software designed to deliver supercar levels of performance & handling.

Electric M3 will "beat everything", says BMW M CEO; Hints at quad motors & 1,341 BHP-bmw.jpg

Further to this, Frank Weber, Head of Engineering and R&D at BMW, also hinted that the electric M3 could offer as much as 1 megawatt or 1,341 BHP of power. This is said to be thanks to the electric sedan featuring unique battery chemistry, in-house designed e-motors, an 800V architecture and special software to run it all seamlessly.

Frank stated, "With a quad-motor concept, we are now looking at a system that can control the chassis as well as the drivetrain with one central logic." Van Meel further stated that his engineers would not allow the electric M car to have gimmicks like a tank turn. The electric sedan instead aims to use the four motors to create a hyperfast performance car. Van Meel also hinted that the all-wheel-drive four-motor electric M3 could be the fastest accelerating M car in history. He claimed a 0-60 mph in less than 3 seconds.

In addition to the all-wheel-drive electric M car, BMW is also planning a lighter rear-wheel-drive variant offering a different driving experience. The lower two-wheel-drive trim could itself offer around 670 BHP.

The new all-electric BMW M3 is scheduled to arrive sometime in 2026 or 2027.

Source: MotorTrend

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 25th June 2024 at 14:11.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 15:22   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric M3 will "beat everything", says BMW M CEO; Hints at quad motors & 1,341 BHP

It obviously will lack the noise and some emotions are lost already. If it doesn't Drift and can't be tracked like a ICE M3, then it further looses buyer interest.
I reckon BMW is chipping away at these bits in it's M3 Specific SW.
14000rpm is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 16:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric M3 will "beat everything", says BMW M CEO; Hints at quad motors & 1,341 BHP

I can’t really find myself to care anymore about electric cars with ludicrous horsepower, whether they be Tesla or bmw. It’s the equivalent of bragging about how quickly instant coffee can be made compared to a traditional brewed coffee.
Cresterk is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 25th June 2024, 23:55   #4
BHPian

All these numbers depends upon the size of the EM and the corresponding battery size. There's nothing special in here. Sooner or later, the EVs will saturate these bhp numbers, 0-60 mph numbers.

If the driver is blindfolded, he/she will not be able to tell whether they are driving Model S or Taycan. That's how bland EVs are.
Old 26th June 2024, 12:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The electric M3 will feature a quad-electric motor setup and software designed to deliver supercar levels of performance & handling.
But I once heard that they will not dilute M series brand name, it will some I-series or so? What was that about then?

Quote:
Van Meel further stated that his engineers would not allow the electric M car to have gimmicks like a tank turn. The electric sedan instead aims to use the four motors to create a hyperfast performance car.
So, we can't have high performance and tank steering in one car, why what's stopping them?

And tank steering, which helps you out of tight spots is a gimmick, are they serious?
And these infotainment rubbish which spies on your life, is not a gimmick, its an actual driving experience feature?

Playing with M3 GTR in the NFS Most Wanted game, I never thought I'd see it as an electric.
And still, I'd rather it be a hybrid than an electric.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks