Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2024, 14:07   #1

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled

Hey everyone,

I'm Sumeet. Like many of you, I'm crazy about cars. When COVID hit and everything went into lockdown, I was just another Mechanical Engineering student trying to figure things out. But amidst all the chaos, I couldn't shake off this big dream I've always had – to build a cool sports car right here in India.

Ever since I can remember, I've been fascinated by the idea of a sleek, powerful sports car made by us, for us. And when the pandemic hit, it gave me the push I needed to chase that dream. So, armed with my love for tinkering with machines and a stubborn determination, I decided to take on the challenge of creating India's first all-electric sports car, all by myself.

Alright, let's incorporate that into the story.

So, the first step on my journey was quite a big one. I decided to build a 5-axis CNC router from scratch. Why? Well, to carve out the moulds for my dream car, of course! I used high-density thermocol as the material. It was a challenging task, but I was determined to get it right.

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-one.png

After countless hours of tinkering and fine-tuning, I finally had my molds ready. Excited, I started building prototypes of the car. But here's the thing – they just didn't meet my standards. I had envisioned something sleek, powerful, and distinctly Indian. What I got instead were prototypes that looked like cheap knock-offs. That wasn't what I signed up for.
I didn't want some "jugaad" solution. I wanted excellence.

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-two.png

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-3.jpeg

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-4.jpeg

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-5.jpeg

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-6.jpeg

Taking a cue from the strategy used by Tesla with their first Roadster, I realized that sometimes it's smart to borrow the chassis from another vehicle. I wanted something powerful and robust, so I set my sights on the Superlite Cars SLC chassis. But there was a catch – importing it would cost a fortune.

Determined not to let that stop me, I decided to take matters into my own hands. I figured, why not build it myself using the CNC router I had painstakingly crafted? It seemed like a crazy idea at first, but the more I thought about it, the more it made sense. So, armed with my trusty router and a hefty dose of determination, I set out to create my own version of the SLC chassis.

DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-seven.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-eight.png
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-nine.jpg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-ten.jpg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-eleven.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-twelve.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-thirteen.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-fourteen.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-fifteen.jpeg
DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled-sixteen.jpeg

Stay tuned to find out how I tackled this setback and moved closer to my dream of creating India's first all-electric sports car.
I want to take you all along for the ride – to share the ups and downs, the wins and losses, of this crazy adventure. Let's dive into the heart of this project together, celebrating the spirit of creativity and the never-give-up attitude.

Get ready, folks. It's going to be one heck of a journey.

Cheers,
Sumeet

Last edited by GTO : 15th May 2024 at 16:54. Reason: Spacing - thanks for sharing!
startupdaddyy is offline   (235) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 16:56   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled

What passion! Congrats on being a dreamer & a doer . Wishing you tons of luck with getting this car rolling. But I have to say, it looks too damn gorgeous even just standing still.

Your build is going to the top of our homepage tomorrow .
GTO is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 17:08   #3
BHPian

This is just fantastic. I can't wait to read on. Have tons of questions but you do the talking. Great going and the shell looks really dam good!
Newtown is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 19:06   #4
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Very enterprising! All the best.
PS: Are you Dilip Chhabria's son or nephew!? Just kidding.
Quasar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 09:45   #5
Team-BHP Support

Incredible! You figured out a niche and how to stand out with your passion. I must say that the design is gorgeous and unique. Doesn't show any inspiration from the basket of regular sports cars and holds its own.

I hope we can have a view of it closeup when ready. Wish you all the best!
moralfibre is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 09:53   #6
BHPian

Wow, that looks neat! Miles ahead, if you compare it to the ones from DC designs.
Can't wait to read the further updates - especially how the battery, powertrain goes in there.
pkulkarni.2106 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 10:08   #7
BHPian

Great stuff. Two suggestions

1. Consider some open source platform for building you car like https://www.openmotors.co/product/tabbyevo/ for example (itis not meant for sports car I think)

2. For BMS and other software explore open source solutions.
electric_eel is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 10:55   #8
BHPian

Hey Sumeet,

Absolutely awesome - super effort - the effort to chase your dreams doggedly is a value that this entire community will cherish - how tough it is I can fathom , the amount of challenges I had with a modification of a motorcycle (trivial in this context) I know and this is a different league and a ground up build ! This forum will do everything it takes to support this and as a first step I can offer you a V6 with a gear box which a friend of mine has , not soliciting business surely if you need anything or any support count on us. Simply because to even think of something and take the first step is an achievement in itself !

You said Electric I get that but if you have a change of heart ever

all the very best bud

Srini
Srini76 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 10:59   #9
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (4)

Damn!!!

This is something motivating and interesting.
Do tell if you will post all this in Instagram or YouTube, I will definitely watch it.
Anonymous guy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:01   #10
BHPian

Stuff of legends.
Can't wait to see more.
All the best man
RROD is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:37   #11
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: DIY: Building India's First All-Electric Sports Car | My journey unveiled

Awesome this is.
Totally hooked on to this thread now.
Waiting to read more about super amazing looking home made sports car.
Rohitthebest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 11:47   #12
BHPian

Hail the Dreamer!!

You are working on a dream without sleeping. Glitch in matrix.. Keep up the tempo.
Mrs&Mr_Shenu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 12:03   #13

Damn this is awesome stuff!!

Very few people will dare to do this. Hats off to you man!!

Cant wait to see more & must say that the first look of your creation is looking cool

Best of luck bro.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th June 2024 at 12:28. Reason: Spacing
Cool Piscean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 12:26   #14
BHPian

Only three alphabets to describe your dream, passion, devotion & intelligence - W O W

Hooked onto this thread, waiting with bated breath for more

Kudos & all the very best
rpunwani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2024, 12:31   #15
BHPian

Buddy, I'm so inspired by your passion and approach! Amazing stuff and looking forward to all your updates. Wishing you only the best!
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks