Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th May 2024, 14:03   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng

The first copycat version of Tesla's Cybertruck has been unveiled in China.

Chinese carmaker Dongfeng has unveiled its take on the Cybertruck at the 2024 Beijing Auto Show. The copycat pick-up truck takes inspiration from the original in terms of the overall look and design.

Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng-fakecybertruckchina.jpg

However, unlike the original Cybertruck, the Dongfeng EV features slightly rounded edges and isn't made up of a stainless steel exterior. Other design details include an LED light bar at the front, an illuminated logo, a rugged-looking skid plate, aerodynamic wheel covers, suicide rear doors, power-retractable side steps and mud-terrain tyres. The Dongfeng EV even has a tent that extends out from the flatbed.

Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng-cybertruckchinesecopy2.jpg

Inside, the Cybertruck copycat comes with a square-shaped steering wheel and displays that span the entire width of the dashboard.

The Dongfeng EV is said to be based on a skateboard EV platform, with claims of having up to 1,305 BHP.

Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng-cybertruckchinesecopy1.jpg

Source: CarBuzz

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by Omkar : 6th May 2024 at 09:47.
RahulNagaraj is online now   (19) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 21:20   #2
BHPian

Re: Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng

This looks WAY better than the Cybertruck which to me, looks like someone tried to fold a car out of origami and gave up halfway through.
DeKay is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 22:00   #3
BHPian

Two things I have to say about this.

1. It looks much better than Cybertruck although I'm pretty sure that's subjective.
To me Cybertruck reminds me of PS2 graphics.
This Dongfeng one is just like a normal truck but with an extremely funky front design which is probably because of aerodynamics. It rips off Hyundai's Santa Cruz way more than Tesla. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Why does someone need 1300 hp in a truck intended for towing?
I am well aware that China has lots of hilly roads with inclines and declines. But even then it doesn't make sense.
I think it's outright dangerous for a casual to handle that amount of power. On top of that instant torque makes it look quite outrageous.
blueather is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 22:33   #4
BHPian

What I'm more concerned here is how much of a norm it has become for Chinese manufacturers to be able to blatantly copy original designs from the west that not many seem to bat an eye anymore. It's like we've resigned to the fact that there's not much we can do anyway. So we may as well enjoy the fruit.

There's a fine line between taking inspiration (ala BYD - some of their vehicles also seem to possibly cross that threshold) and blatant copying. In this case, it's almost like they specifically chose the Cybertruck to be the benchmark and went ahead attempting to copying the darn thing right from the specifications to the overall design.

Failing miserably in the attempt - at least in the design department - is another story! I think it looks God-awful. But this whole copying for the sake of copying business is such a slap on the face of originality!
Hume is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 22:53   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hume View Post
What I'm more concerned here is how much of a norm it has become for Chinese manufacturers to be able to blatantly copy original designs from the west that not many seem to bat an eye anymore. It's like we've resigned to the fact that there's not much we can do anyway. So we may as well enjoy the fruit.
In the 70s & 80s literally 70% of the budget cars from Europe, Japan and US, looked the same. Rectangular or wedge looking boxes with 2 SQUARE headlamps. Sure, we enthusiasts could identify them them, but the average buyer just bought the latest squarish sedan from their favourite brand and called it a day.

The Chinese are evolving quite quickly and they will find their footing soon enough, like the Koreans did. Once all the Vaporware companies die down and the (Chinese) cream rises to the top and become well established internationally, they will be the Hyundai & Kia of the late 2020s and 2030s unless something Cataclysmic happens to the Chinese Economy. (which having lived through the last 2 decades, is still within the realm of possibility)

I am sure, if some of our local manufacturers were the ones making these "Chinese" vehicles we'd be drooling all over it and shouting from the rooftops how proud we are of our Indian manufacturers.
ZenMaster is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 5th May 2024, 23:19   #6
BHPian

Notice the pattern how they are exceeding the specs of the original and giving matching if not better quality feel!! this has never been the case in the past for say Japanese or Koreans copying American cars. IN the end of day consumers will look for value and capability which are strong suits of Chinese right now. Major shakedown in automobile industry is looming .
Old 6th May 2024, 08:07   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Beijing Auto Show: How the Chinese Auto industry has evolved and is now a force to reckon with.

volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 14:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
The first copycat version of Tesla's Cybertruck has been unveiled in China.
To be frank I am not seeing any copy here. It's totally a different car and design. Looks good and butch too.
myavu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 15:40   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Not only does it look better than the Cybertruck, I'm sure it will have better practicality & utility than the Cybertruck, which was kindof the point of a truck. Eg: The structure of the doors. etc..
dhanushs is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 16:04   #10
BHPian

I guess they did a fair job in design and its not as a 'copy' of anything. Obviously there are some elements that brings the point of Cybertruck - no doubt about that.

While we call this one a fake product (as title and post suggests), its equally important to remind ourselves that the Thar is also a fake/replica (keeping the argument of legal licensing etc. away) and so are many other cars around us - Indian or foreign.

Ultimately, what truly matters are the technological advancements and reliability of the product. Both aspects remain unproven at this stage. It's a matter of waiting to witness their performance and durability. Additionally, it's undeniable that China has made significant strides in EV technology, placing them at the forefront of innovation
dileepcm is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 16:10   #11
BHPian

Copycat- yes

Rip off- yes

"Inspired" - yes yes

But fake? - don't think so. Fake is selling off this car as a Cybertruck with far inferior quality underneath which clearly isn't the intention here.
anandhsub is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 16:28   #12
BHPian

Elon was right. Chinese are very good in manufacturing. This looks much better than the Cybertruck. Even design wise its better with no sharp edges to kill anyone.
Old 6th May 2024, 16:47   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sorry but this does not look like a copy of the cybertruck at all. I dont see how anyone sees any similarities here.

Thar is a wrangler copy cat and there have been numerous chinese cars in the past which have copied designs but this is not one of them

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th May 2024 at 16:48.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 17:30   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PreludeSH View Post
Even design wise its better with no sharp edges to kill anyone.
Can't blame the design, it’s the inherent property of stainless steel which makes it hard to bending, hence there are straight sharp unsafe edges.

This Chinese version isn't stainless steel, hence one can see so many bends and curves and yes it cannot brag of being "bullet resistant", if similar gauge of steel is being used and here designers can play better with crayons.
NomadSK is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 19:12   #15
BHPian

If this is a copy, then so is the Gurkha with its Mercedes G class inspired styling. How can this truck, be compared with that abomination of a vehicle, which has no regards for pedestrian safety ? At least this thing doesn't look like it's designed to cut people. It's time the Western media and their manufacturers understand that the threat from Chinese automobiles are real ,and pull up their socks, instead of shouting foul. Fake or copycat is a strong word, and should be used judiciously. Also the tent provided with this truck is far better than what the Cybertruck provides. Looks properly futuristic,while that on the the Cybertruck looks like a shoddy job.
Mitadru is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks