Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2024, 19:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Fake Tesla Cybertruck from China, courtesy Dongfeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
To be frank I am not seeing any copy here. It's totally a different car and design.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dileepcm View Post
I guess they did a fair job in design and its not as a 'copy' of anything. Obviously there are some elements that brings the point of Cybertruck - no doubt about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I am sorry but this does not look like a copy of the cybertruck at all. I dont see how anyone sees any similarities here.

Thar is a wrangler copy cat and there have been numerous chinese cars in the past which have copied designs but this is not one of them

It was interesting to read the different POVs. From the specs, tyres, the side silhouette and the slope of the windshield, I felt they were benchmarking the Cybertruck and felt that the only reason it doesn't look like a Cybertruck was well, that it just isn't easy to copy something that's made with Stainless Steel alloy metal to begin with. Especially the grey colour they chose felt like they were trying to imitate the Cybertruck clearly. While it's difficult to say eitherway definitively, l can see why some may feel differently - and I sure would like to now believe that they could just be taking inspiration from it! Certainly specs and overall utility plays an important part as well.

Still, WRT the overall ripping off designs goes, I wish more can take pride in originality instead! Copycats are certainly easy and possibly even 'practical' but if there isn't due credit to original ideas and designs, then eventually they'll all get terribly boring I'm afraid. And sure, it certainly includes Mahindra's Thar as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandhsub View Post
Copycat- yes

Rip off- yes

"Inspired" - yes yes

But fake? - don't think so. Fake is selling off this car as a Cybertruck with far inferior quality underneath which clearly isn't the intention here.
+1 Very fair point. The word fake can be very misleading. It's not so in this case. I would even welcome an edit to the title if possible.
Old 7th May 2024, 21:08   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
Can't blame the design, it’s the inherent property of stainless steel which makes it hard to bending, hence there are straight sharp unsafe edges.
Arent all the existing car body parts already made of steel? And to my knowledge, they are usually stamped to (any) shape. So cant understand your statement that steel is hard to bend.
Old 9th May 2024, 10:32   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by m8002? View Post
Arent all the existing car body parts already made of steel? And to my knowledge, they are usually stamped to (any) shape. So cant understand your statement that steel is hard to bend.
Yes, they are made of steel but here I'm talking about the "stainless steel" body of the cyber truck, which is of 300 series and not regarding the carbon steel, both are completely different. Any normal car will have a "carbon steel" body. Cold Bending/stamping stainless steel is quite a tedious task and having sharp bends with smaller radius will tend to crack it due to high hardness and poor ductility of stainless steel. Also, it has a good springback property, that's why you can see people kicking the cybertruck and there's no bend/damages to the truck and steel comes back to its original shape. In short, a material that is “hard” is not necessarily strong, and a “hard” material may indeed have lower tensile strength than a “soft” material and can be prone to brittle fracture.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks