Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Looking back, Will you buy an EV again?
Yes. I would've still bought an EV. 123 74.55%
No, I would've bought an ICE vehicle. 42 25.45%
Voters: 165. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2024, 12:12   #61
BHPian

Re: EV Owners: Will you buy an EV again?

Tiago EV owner - voted NO. I don't have high mileage, so savings angle doesn't entice me. The car is fun to drive - I love that. But I usually have someone at the rear - and they get nauseated as soon as I start to have fun. The infra is still developing (some public chargers are maintained in poor condition - glitchy, home power supply hiccups). The insurance scene is still very much a grey area and the after sales service experience hasn't been reassuring.
thomahawk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 12:57   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
The car is fun to drive - I love that. But I usually have someone at the rear - and they get nauseated as soon as I start to have fun.
Try driving with low level of regen. If you drive in sports mode and accellarate hard and then let off the A-pedal the higher regen (level 2/3) gives a very bad feeling particularly to rear seated passengers.
electric_eel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 13:06   #63
BHPian

I currently drive an EV (Volvo EX30 Twin Motor) abroad but i still have my oil burner as a backup. My personal experience is that using solely an EV requires planning on long distance trips and even when at home. We are busy living our daily lives and we may tend to forget to plug in the vehicle. The next day remember with a start that we had planned a trip and there is no charge in the car. This situation is not something that can be sorted out in a jiffy as the car will take its own time to charge up. Even a fast charger will take quite some time more than filling up fuel. And given the cost of fast charging is almost the same as a full tank of fuel and lesser miles in return, this is not a viable option.

Apart from the above reason I am still on the fence about getting an EV in India. Most of the 'affordable' EVs are FWD and this is not really suited to the high torque output. A RWD/AWD EV is in a whole different league when compared to an FWD. Also most EVs within financial reach are produced by Tata and I am not really sure the service personnel are fully equipped to handle the new tech. They are not well versed with their own ICE vehicles for that matter. Let alone the random quality and software issues that come as a freebie.

With my current EV, I am waiting and watching the battery performance over a few years. So would I buy an EV again? I don't know yet, I have bought one and it is only half a month old and it is still too early to say how it will pan out.

Edit: Just saw the title of the poll and voted 'Yes'. Because the EV is everything that I expected. All shortcomings were well known before purchase; I would still have bought the EV because I wanted to see how the EV would fit in my lifestyle.

Last edited by alphahere : 30th April 2024 at 13:20.
alphahere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2024, 13:53   #64
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
One does not need to because I am not counting the energy used for mining, refining, transporting crude/petrol/diesel either. Additionally there are other "emission side show"
which are probably worse than the main show

https://environmentamerica.org/texas...permian-basin/

The claim that EVs are worse of than ICE falls into the "not even wrong" category of claims sustained by consistent propaganda by Oil companies.
Let us just agree to disagree If you were aware of G-T-D losses in our electricity network and combined them with conventional power generation capacity then we wouldn't still be at it.
Old 1st May 2024, 00:34   #65
BHPian

My answer would be YES. Tiago EV Owner, driven 30,000 Kms in 12 months. Our family required another car for 50-60 Kms daily run and last month bought a Punch EV as well!

For daily city commutes, would any day prefer an EV over ICE cars.
coolmob is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 08:18   #66
BHPian

Voted yes for city rides, but with reservations for long drives.

Last edited by Axe77 : 1st May 2024 at 13:43.
camaroon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 13:07   #67
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Mod Note: No off-topic posts please. Kindly stick to the thread topic.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 13:52   #68
BHPian

It has only been 4 months since we got our first EV, but so far our experience is only positive. For us buying an EV was a well thought out decision. I have about 1000-1500kms of driving per month and my wife has about 2000-2500kms. We have the Compass as the very capable and comfortable long distance runner. We needed a car that can cover 80-100kms a day in Kerala's traffic and still keep the driver in comfort. Within our budget of around 20lakhs, ZS EV was the logical choice. It is comfortable, has good safety rating and offers sufficient range for our case. What we do is an 8 hour charging 4 nights a week with the portable charger. It has crossed 10000kms last week and battery is still showing full capacity. I expect it to degrade sooner or later, but even if it degrades to 75% of original capacity in 5 years, I guess it will still be sufficient for our use. Our experience with the highway fast charging has generally been good and we haven't faced any issues so far with home charging either. on the whole I am satisfied with my experience and I would choose an EV again for our specific requirements.

There are some obvious issues that I am not overlooking. The trip has to be planned in advance, the available chargers on the way needs to be researched, charging can be a problem during monsoons when electricity supply from the grid gets affected, home charging can be a problem if there are voltage fluctuations, I always have to be prepared to finish the trip within 100-30% SOC etc. But these are minor issues as far as I am concerned when compared to the running cost. 10,000kms on our ZS Ev at 1.5INR per km is 15,000INR, where as the same 10,000kms in my Compass at 11Rs per km is 1,10,000INR. That is about 95,000INR saved in fuel cost in just 4 months for us.
Night Raven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st May 2024, 20:48   #69
BHPian

My answer is yes currently using kona electric as my primary vehicle from past one year and after completing 23,000 km on it 90% of my commute has been on highways i commute on my e-bike or ola 2w ev in my city.

Overall it has been an experience of a lifetime don’t see myself shifting to ICE anymore.

Last edited by XRoader_001 : 1st May 2024 at 20:50.
XRoader_001 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 08:13   #70
BHPian

I have voted no. Although a 2nd ev makes sense for me, currently only Tata has a decent line up and getting another ev means buying a 2nd tata vehicle. I dont have patience to deal with Tata Motors once and I dont want to get another tata ev and deal with them twice.

If MG would bring something between Comet and Zs Ev my answer would have been different. Even if Mahindra had LFP in Xuv400 i would have answered differently.
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 11:43   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
Try driving with low level of regen. If you drive in sports mode and accellarate hard and then let off the A-pedal the higher regen (level 2/3) gives a very bad feeling particularly to rear seated passengers.
After the first few hundred kilometers, I have been driving with regen turned off (level 0). In this setting, the car will coast as soon as you get off the accelerator instead of regen braking kicking in. It makes for a smoother and more efficient ride.

There is a misconception that setting regen to zero literally means forgoing regen (and associated range improvement) and that all braking becomes friction braking. All it means is that regen does not automatically kick in every time you step off the accelerator. In fact, braking in EVs regardless of regen level is always progressive, meaning it starts with regenerative braking and if you push the brakes harder, or if you are below say 8 kmph, friction brakes engage.

Net net, with regen set to zero, regen happens only when you brake. And if you anticipate stops and use mild braking, friction braking will be minimal or zero.

Initially, turning regen off gives you a funny feeling that the car has suddenly shifted to neutral… but once you get used to it, even level 1 regen starts feeling very harsh and unnecessary….

The only time I use regen is when I’m climbing down ghats. It helps me avoid pressing the brakes continuously… Just makes the drive a little more comfortable.
navinmra is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2024, 16:59   #72
Mik
BHPian

Voted YES!

Have owned the Nexon EV Medium Range for more than 3 years now. It is the second car in the family so we don't face the problems which EV only garages with Nexons face. Both me and my wife fight to drive it as the grumbly giant Compass feels so out of place in the city.
The real question is, would i want to replace the ICE car in the garage. Oh yes! with an EV giving 500km real world range and fun in quarters, I would love to.
Mik is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 15th May 2024, 16:29   #73
BHPian

Hyundai Kona owner. Voted Yes.

Inspite of a harrowing failure, that was a complete nightmare for more than 6 months, the convenience and the pleasure of driving it has just made me overlook it, as my miserable destiny.

Will i still consider an EV - Absolutely Yes

Pros
Average Cumulative Fuel costs - Running at 0.8 Rs/Km (Fluctuates between 0.45 to 1.6 Rs/km depending upon DC charging)
Driving Ease - Impressively better than CVT or DCT's. or even world renowned strong hybrid like Prius
NVH levels - Astounding not only inside but outside. I hate even using the horn now as it disrupts the silence. Cities could do well with the reduced noise levels.
Charging ease - Childishly easy. My mother learnt it. She finds it difficult to trust petrol bunks & track petrol consumption/costs. Forget about operating a petrol pump.

Cons
Service Support - Needs considerable improvement. EV's are still at quite a nascent stage. It requires high degree of tolerance from the owner and a great amount of empathy from service personnel. (Which was what made it a disaster for me)
Accessories & Options - The market has not yet opened up for EV's
Social Stigma - Defending the EV as a choice and heaven save us if something goes wrong.
EV Fan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th May 2024, 09:43   #74

Yes will Definitely go for an EV . I am an owner of Nexon EV Prime 2022,
KA20NexonEV is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks