Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2024, 14:54   #151
BHPian

Re: BYD Seal Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankitg87 View Post
Yes, taking performance variants delivery tomorrow.
Good luck with the purchase and enjoy the 3.8s drags!

Initially, I also booked the performance variant, however during test drives I scraped almost 50% of speed-breakers, while scraped none in the premium. The advisor said the adaptive(?) suspension in the performance variant tends to sit lower and could be an issue on our roads. Hopefully they've fixed this, on an otherwise beast of a car!
Monaro is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th September 2024, 23:46   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yes, taking performance variants delivery tomorrow.
Congratulations and good luck! Looking forward to your experience and review!
v1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 15:03   #153
BHPian

Not sure if this has been posted on this forum, BYD app is finally available in india play store!!

Link
Attached Thumbnails
BYD Seal Review-screenshot_20240910_145734_google-play-store.jpg  

BYD Seal Review-screenshot_20240910_145747_byd.jpg  

Last edited by Fighter_82 : 10th September 2024 at 15:14. Reason: Adding play store link
Fighter_82 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2024, 23:18   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighter_82 View Post
Not sure if this has been posted on this forum, BYD app is finally available in india play store!!

Link
Thanks! But does it work? I tried a couple of days ago and it says email not registered or something and contact the dealer. I contacted the dealer and they have no clue and say that I need a BYD sim for it to work, which kind of doesn't make sense.
Old 11th September 2024, 00:43   #155

Which BYD dealer you connected with? It seems Byd app is under testing and would be launched later this year. Jio sim would be provided by dealer for app to work.

My black 3.8sec Seal landed today in the garage!

BYD Seal Review-7216e72383da49b980598959aae6c55d.jpeg

Last edited by moralfibre : 11th September 2024 at 01:47. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged. Please use multi-quote option when replying to multiple posts. Thank you!
Ankitg87 is offline   (53) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 11:22   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Which BYD dealer you connected with? It seems Byd app is under testing and would be launched later this year. Jio sim would be provided by dealer for app to work.

Looks sweet! I'll come say hi if we cross path in Noida.

I connected with the Landmark Noida dealership only and they are clueless about everything since my 3 months of ownership.
Old 12th September 2024, 12:03   #157
BHPian

Just took delivery of my BYD Seal Performance Variant last week, will follow up with a short review soon
Attached Thumbnails
BYD Seal Review-delivery-pic.jpg  

rahul_66 is offline   (29) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 12:04   #158
BHPian

Quote:

Attachment 2653201
looks slick! Might look even more appealing if the badges are blacked out

Enjoy the 3.8s to 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_66 View Post
Just took delivery of my BYD Seal Performance Variant last week, will follow up with a short review soon
Congrats! Another Black Perfomance hitting the road!!

Last edited by MightyHorse1188 : 12th September 2024 at 12:08.
MightyHorse1188 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 09:39   #159
BHPian

Of all the EV's in the market today, this is probably the only one that excites me the most. However, I do read a lot about inconsistent quality and BYD's poor response to most issues in the international market. How has the experience been so far with the current owners?

I am curious about the reliability and the part where something does not work the way it should and BYD's response to it.
Mr.Ogre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 12:20   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Ogre View Post
Of all the EV's in the market today, this is probably the only one that excites me the most. However, I do read a lot about inconsistent quality and BYD's poor response to most issues in the international market. How has the experience been so far with the current owners?

I am curious about the reliability and the part where something does not work the way it should and BYD's response to it.
I think many of us current owners have already raised a stink about few aspects at the BYD's dealership experience here in India . Some earlier posts have already mentioned a few aspects of poor response pre sales itself. Of course the experience I must say varies largely across dealerships in India.

Although it's too early to judge them, since they are fairly new entrants. Certain issues make us doubt their reliability for aftersales support especially for the premium models like the Seal. The recent example I can cite is that of tires, the stock factory fitted tires aren't available even at the BYD service centres, so if you have a flat tire you need to swap the flashy continentals with some local Ceat/ Goodyear tires(based on my enquiry with the service manager in my city).So that doesn't instil great confidence about availability of other critical parts too. One must also consider it will be a major concern for any Chinese manufacturer unless they find a local Indian partner (Like the MG JSW collab), because our import policies aren't very favourable for Chinese players, for obvious reasons.

Based on my first service experience, didn't feel as premium as what Im used to even with a brand like Hyundai. I already said it could vary across dealerships and BYD india hasn't achieved a standardisation yet. Lastly (this is strongly my personal opinion )that the sales and service team haven't been well educated about their products, since most of us fellow owners discover hidden features about the car or rely on troubleshooting by following some reviews from international markets(Australia, Thailand, Singapore, etc) or through discussion here.

Here's one example among many other instances, which made me form an opinion that BYD sales/Service execs aren't well aware about the car. In my seal's recent first service they performed a firmware update which added the previously unavailable wireless apple CarPlay. So initially I was unable to connect my iPhone, and I dialled the service advisor for help. His response was that I need to attempt connecting while the car is in motion and not while it is stationary. It was hilarious how they were able to come up with blatantly incorrect yet creative solutions!

I did manage to solve that issue in the end, just had to disconnect the bluetooth connection, reboot the system and reattempt pairing.Simple!

Hope this helps!

Cheers
MightyHorse1188 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 13th September 2024, 23:29   #161

I will post my purchase experience and quick oenership experience of seal performance. Will work on it once I ge some spare time. Also, connected on Byd seal owner group in india. Will add few points what other owners are facing
Ankitg87 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 09:55   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyHorse1188 View Post
I think many of us current owners have already raised a stink about few aspects at the BYD's dealership experience here in India .
Thank you for the detailed report. Aren't the tyres covered under warranty? If they are then shouldn't customers be reimbursed for them?

How does the car feel after putting in kilometers? Does it feel like it is built to last? I do not think anyone can say it is built to a price, because pricing is still premium in India for the Seal.

How is BYD's response when it comes to crash repair? Is their turn around time reasonable enough when it comes to sourcing parts that need crash repair or warranty replacements?
Old 15th September 2024, 01:01   #163
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed report. Aren't the tyres covered under warranty? If they are then shouldn't customers be reimbursed for them?
As far as I know, tyres aren’t part of the general car warranty offered by most manufacturers in India.Even if something like that existed,I would imagine that would only cover any claim relating to manufacturing defects of such tyres.

In most cases tyre damage or extreme wear, happens due to bad road conditions of India or other reasons in control of the driver/user ,which becomes the responsibility of the car owner and has to be replaced at her own expense.

So BYD in my opinion is not legally obliged to replace our tyres. The problem here is that even if we are willing to pay for tyre replacement, you already know that factory fitted stock tyres will not be available as of now.

Quote:
How does the car feel after putting in kilometers? Does it feel like it is built to last? I do not think anyone can say it is built to a price, because pricing is still premium in India for the Seal.
In my case after ~3000 kms in 3 months, the car still feels same as day 1. Although its not long enough to pass a testament about durability, at least I can say with certainty that the car doesn't give any doubts or mechanically doesn't feel inferior at any point. I own other premium vehicles like Mercedes Benz and driven plenty other German vehicles. This feels second to none.

Whatever said and done ,end of the day it is an EV and depends primarily on a battery which will have a shelf life lower than that of a conventional ICE, so that has to be kept in mind. Secondly these cars feel less mechanical and more electronic/software dependent (more digitized with very limited physical buttons), which we all know are expected to date. So I wouldn't expect these cars will be owned for a lifetime. The times were different when cars especially some German classics were designed to be owned for life or even become a multigenerational heirloom.

Nowadays, IMO even the Mercedes's and BMWs of the world are prioritising bottom-line and cost cutting over true quality or built to last image.

Ultimately I would say this vehicle doesn't give any perception of the “Chinese=Cheap” quality that we have been conditioned to over these many years!

Let me put it this way, it might fall under premium pricing in India, but I definitely felt it is fairly priced or maybe even aggressively priced. So it was naturally an easier decision on making this purchase, vis a vis something like EV6 or Volvo C40, which would have required higher level of convincing/justification ,predominantly because they were 20-30% more costlier.

And just to add on, with an intent to provide an understanding of seal’s build quality.

Plenty of my friends and relatives got a chance to ride in my car and not a single one had anything for knit picking and the car didn’t fail gaining respect.

Initially some had reservations or made a joking remark that I brought a Chinese car to save some money, but their opinion changed after seeing the car. Even the people I know who have strong “Anti China” bias were highly impressed.

This in itself should tell a lot about the product, despite some shortcomings with the BYD brand’s position in India at the moment.

Last edited by vb-saan : 15th September 2024 at 08:10. Reason: Typos, and back to back posts merged. Please use EDIT / QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another.
MightyHorse1188 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 14:21   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Congratulations! This looks absolutely fantastic and by the looks of it, we stay in the same block. I saw the car yesterday when i was turning for the DND on the morning ride.
RohanDheman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2024, 14:33   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Congratulations! This looks absolutely fantastic and by the looks of it, we stay in the same block. I saw the car yesterday when i was turning for the DND on the morning ride.
Thank you. Feel free to drop in and check out the car someday. Black feels sporty but gives me headache on maintenance. Dirt and water visible all the time.

Last edited by KarthikK : 16th September 2024 at 15:24.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks