Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd April 2024, 13:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study

According to new studies, tyres on electric cars tend to wear out faster than those on conventional ICE-powered vehicles. The studies report that daily EV drivers tend to go through a tyre's life very fast without even realising this would happen. As per a JD Power study, EV owners tend to anticipate tyre wear similar to that of an equivalent ICE-powered car.

Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study-evtyres.jpeg

Ashley Edgar, Senior Director of Benchmarking & Alternative Mobility, JD Power, stated, "The widening satisfaction gap between EVs and gas-powered vehicles highlights an opportunity for tyre manufacturers and automakers to educate EV owners on the differences in performance. Additionally, because of the inherent conflict of maximizing vehicle range and optimizing tyre wear for EVs, tyre manufacturers and automakers need to work together to overcome the challenge without completely sacrificing tyre performance in other areas, especially as the EV market continues to increase."

In another study by CDK Global, conducted in 2023, a respondent commented that "when it comes to EVs, tyres are the new oil change."

A few big tyre OEMs though have started selling tyres specifically for electric cars. EV-specific tyres are available from companies like Michelin and Goodyear. These tyres come with different strengths, weight and resiliency to prevent hampering the EV's range, while also avoiding excessive noise. However, EV-specific tyres, at the moment, are expensive, costing as much as $201 apiece.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:09   #2
BHPian

Re: Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
According to new studies, tyres on electric cars tend to wear out faster than those on conventional ICE-powered vehicles. The studies report that daily EV drivers tend to go through a tyre's life very fast without even realising this would happen. As per a JD Power study, EV owners tend to anticipate tyre wear similar to that of an equivalent ICE-powered car.

Attachment 2589804

Ashley Edgar, Senior Director of Benchmarking & Alternative Mobility, JD Power, stated, "The widening satisfaction gap between EVs and gas-powered vehicles highlights an opportunity for tyre manufacturers and automakers to educate EV owners on the differences in performance. Additionally, because of the inherent conflict of maximizing vehicle range and optimizing tyre wear for EVs, tyre manufacturers and automakers need to work together to overcome the challenge without completely sacrificing tyre performance in other areas, especially as the EV market continues to increase."

In another study by CDK Global, conducted in 2023, a respondent commented that "when it comes to EVs, tyres are the new oil change."

A few big tyre OEMs though have started selling tyres specifically for electric cars. EV-specific tyres are available from companies like Michelin and Goodyear. These tyres come with different strengths, weight and resiliency to prevent hampering the EV's range, while also avoiding excessive noise. However, EV-specific tyres, at the moment, are expensive, costing as much as $201 apiece.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news
Nice finding. What could be the reason for this? Wheels spinning quicker from a standstill in an EV? If yes, then won't the SHVS-equipped Marutis face the same issue, they too have assistance from the ISG. Most EV cars already come with thin tyres with overinflation for added range.
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:31   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study

Very much possible. EVs are way much heavier due to battery packs. Lithium-ion batteries, common in EVs, add significant weight and affect the vehicle's weight distribution. This increased weight puts extra strain on the tires, particularly during cornering and braking. As the car turns, the tires experience lateral forces that wear down the tread more quickly.

Electric motors deliver instant torque, resulting in rapid acceleration and deceleration. This can lead to increased tyre wear. One can easily do a long wheel spins in Tata Punch or Nexon in Sports Mode, thus shredding the tire thread.
RM Motorsports is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:34   #4

I have a Nexon EV Max which has run around 60k Kms till now. Tyres are pretty good compared to an ICE that has run equivalently. Mostly due to the braking and slowing down duties being taken care of by the regen system IMO.
sai47 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:39   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

All these are ‘motivated studies’ with the sole agenda of discrediting EVs. Over 1L Tata EVs have been sold in India. That’s a big enough sample size. Ask the owners just how frequently do their cars need tire replacement. For the record, my Nexon EV LR has done 13000km and the tread is as good as new.

People will talk about high performance EVs needing new tires every 15-20k km. They conveniently forget that it’s the same with high performance ICE cars as well.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 3rd April 2024 at 15:44.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:39   #6
BHPian

Maybe true.

My tigor ev standard tyres are well worn by 26 k kms and I don't think they will last beyond 30,000 kms. Then instant torque especially in sports mode is what kills these tyres I think. Ironic since the manufacturer Appolo says that there are "EV specific" tyres.
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:46   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
tyres on electric cars tend to wear out faster than those on conventional ICE-powered vehicles.
This is expected as long as both share the same rubber compound (comparing apple to apple) and EV's having high instant torque at the tap and heavier than ICE's. That's why the EV's have different high-tech rubber compound for tires, which is on the harder side. Also the side walls are more reinforced due to its heavy battery weight.

Also, same is true for diesel ICE's, having more torque and heavier, will eat the tyres rapidly as compared to gasoline ICE's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
All these are ‘motivated studies’ with the sole agenda of discrediting EVs.
I don't think so anything is motivated in the studies, probably they have compared standard tyre on the EV's to the ICE's.

Quote:
A standard tire can wear 30 percent quicker on an EV than on an internal-combustion vehicle, so putting more rubber on the road with a tighter tread pattern and using a harder-wearing rubber compound became the solution.
Link

Last edited by NomadSK : 3rd April 2024 at 16:00.
Old 3rd April 2024, 15:59   #8
BHPian

Punch Ev higher variants are fitted with tires specifically made for EV https://www.apollotyres.com/en-in/st...bold-electric/
Old 3rd April 2024, 16:42   #9
Senior - BHPian

My MG ZS EV has done 44.5K kms till now and the tyres are still good enough for another 25K. For comparison, I changed my Ecosport tyres at 68K kms. Both are driven through same road and traffic conditions.

Tyre wear depends a lot on how the car is driven, even a normal ICE car tyres will wear out quickly if driven hard.

Another motivated study to find some fault in EVs.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

EVs, especially the ones sold abroad, are generally way more powerful than ICE cars. The lack of noise and no wastage of fuel means they also tend to accelerate more aggressively. No real surprise here.
Old 3rd April 2024, 18:42   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

A lot of EV studies are junk, but I wouldn't say this is one of them.

EVs are heavier than their ICE counterparts, due to the battery. EVs also have "instant torque" which makes the tyres work harder. While a lot will come to driving style, all things remaining the same, an EV will definitely chew through its tyres quicker than its ICE sibling.
GTO is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 19:33   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
EVs are heavier than their ICE counterparts, due to the battery. EVs also have "instant torque" which makes the tyres work harder. While a lot will come to driving style, all things remaining the same, an EV will definitely chew through its tyres quicker than its ICE sibling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RM Motorsports View Post
Very much possible. EVs are way much heavier due to battery packs.
Surely weight has to play a role, but the ev’s we get here are barely 75-150kg more than ICE, that’s the difference between Having 1 vs 3 occupants at worst. How much is too much weight?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NomadSK View Post
I don't think so anything is motivated in the studies, probably they have compared standard tyre on the EV's to the ICE's
Going on over the same point above, there were apparently 4 categories

Luxury, Performance, Passenger and Utility

I don’t know their survey criteria, but if user selects their car category, it is easy for two users to put same car in different categories. Example : model S can be put in both sport and luxury.

Some standard has to be made, either by weight, or by power, or some other criterion to distinguish similar categories (most luxury cars would by default be sportier than passenger cars)

It is dishonest to look at one subset of EV owners and conclude this, because ultimately the readers will apply it in blanket form to all ev’s.

We have multiple examples on our telegram Tata EV group where the tyres are usable even beyond 100K km

One guy has done 180K km on original tyres even.

Unlike in west where a green light means no one will impede you, here you can’t even cross a one way street without looking both ways, let alone do a sprint at every signal, which many EV owners, whether for fun or due to challenged by some guy in sportscars, keep doing.

It is natural that a surveyee (if that’s a word) would keep in mind their driving habits while voting. You can’t expect a 911 which is dailied vs one which is on the Ring every weekend, to have similar wear.

Will the owner recognise that the performance of the tyre is in line with their driving, or dismiss it as an unsatisfactory tyre, that honesty lies with the surveyee alone.

If I know what I’m doing is detrimental to the tyre but still vote unsatisfactory tyre performance, it’s me to blame.
Shresth_EV is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 20:28   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
My MG ZS EV has done 44.5K kms till now and the tyres are still good enough for another 25K. For comparison, I changed my Ecosport tyres at 68K kms. Both are driven through same road and traffic conditions.
Exact same experience here.

My Tesla’s kerb weight is 4048 lbs vs. BMW X3M40i which is 4,392 lbs which means its 350lbs heavier than the Tesla (150kgs isn’t a lot of difference).

Tesla has covered 16,000 miles (26,000kms) and those tires have never been rotated, aligned or had a puncture (touchwood). They still look new and have lot of tire depth and I expect them to last another 15,000 miles (25,000 kms) for sure.

Btw, I do accelerate at every given chance so it’s not like I am babying the tires. While the general concept is the tires of an EV will get chewed faster than an ICE car is true, my experience till date seems to tell me there isn’t much difference that favors an ICE car in this department.

I reckon multiple other factors like road infrastructure, driving style, how tires are taken care will matter as well.
mobike008 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2024, 21:45   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

May be the same product weighs more in EV form. But my Ioniq 5 which weighs 1910 kg is not much heavier than an X3 which weighs 1865 kg. Not sure why its tyres will wear out faster.

BTW, it is all about driving style - my X3s first set of run flats lasted less than 30000 km, but the second set (thanks to repeated punctures in one tyre and the differences in wear) lasted only 17000 km. Let’s see how long the current set lasts.
Hayek is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 09:02   #15
BHPian

EVs are heavier. Also the instant torque influences "driving behavior". I know friends who now "zoom" from standing starts with a flex of the ankle, something they would never have done in their older ICE cars. That aggravates the tire wear.

I think it is what it is. If your driving style is careful, the degradation is not going to be so much more severe that it will cause financial pain, unless you are running an EV taxi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks