Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2024, 09:11   #31
BHPian

Re: Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Nexon’s regen is very well calibrated. It kicks in progressively. As a driver, it takes a bit of getting used to initially, but you learn to low down the car gradually using regen and judgement of distance. You learn to lift off and let the car slow down on its own at, say, 200 meters, instead of braking at 150 meters. Ergo, lesser force and over a longer distance. Gentle braking = less stress. The car comes is an intelligent brake vacuum pump that lets the regen do most of the slowing down and engages the discs only after that has maxed out. Friction brakes are used essentially to bring the car to a complete stop, or for sudden panic braking.

My experience with the Nexon EV indicates that a well calibrated and adjustable regen system is beneficial to both tire and brake pad+disc life.
This has been my experience too. In fact EVs are better suited for hypermiling than ICE cars. I am able to get the EV to coast more than my ICE car under same traffic conditions.
Old 5th April 2024, 10:56   #32
BHPian

Re: Electric car tyres tend to wear out faster than those on ICE cars, says study

As someone who doesn't understand the technical side of things just wanted to know what is the difference that normal braking and regen+braking has on tyre. I have been riding Ola S1pro for the last 10 months and after the initial month or so I could adjust my braking and acceleration to the EV style by using more regen than brakes. In fact now I estimate the need for braking very early and take off the accelartion and use force regen to slow down the vehicle. And this actually didn't impact my riding time/speeds as I am still clocking the same average speeds that I did with my ICE scooter. Also I only use sports mode, so, I don't ride to just maximise range, I just ride normally as I used to on ICE scooter, just with more awareness of the braking by using regen.
Old 5th April 2024, 21:04   #33
BHPian

Regen braking kicks in as soon as you step off the accelerator or when you press the brakes. It’s calibrated to be mild.
Therefore as you pointed out, in EVs you can start decelerating early with Regen rather than braking late (and with more force) as you would do in an ICE car. That’s easy on the tyres.
navinmra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 00:02   #34
Senior - BHPian

This video covers some points why EV tyres wear out faster than ICE cars.

Old 6th April 2024, 04:43   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
As someone who doesn't understand the technical side of things just wanted to know what is the difference that normal braking and regen+braking has on tyre.
There will be very little difference on the tyre whether you use regen+braking vs normal braking, (talking only regarding braking) as long as you do not do hard braking in the ICE 2 wheeler. If at all, regen braking would ensure your brake pads wear out less, and your tyres wear out less as the speed reduction is more gradual than active braking.

Overall if you are actively using regen, you are predisposed to be less aggressive in accelerating as well, which again improves the longetivity of the tyres.
kosjam is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th April 2024, 07:08   #36
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

How different is this thread with this one, which I read last year?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/inter...new-study.html (EVs are the reason for the increase in tyre pollution, says new study)
Old 16th April 2024, 11:08   #37
BHPian

Re: Review: The Tata Nexon EV

Tire Companies Love EVs

As per the video, EV tires have a big influence on the range of an EV. So highrange EV tires cost much more (almost 50%) than comparable ICE tires.

Also, since EVs are heavier and they have a very high acceleration, tires wear out faster and thus tire replacements are needed 20% sooner.

I am getting quite skeptical these days whether EVs are really 'sustainable' as they make them out to be.

Old 2nd May 2024, 09:11   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Exact same experience here.

My Tesla’s kerb weight is 4048 lbs vs. BMW X3M40i which is 4,392 lbs which means its 350lbs heavier than the Tesla (150kgs isn’t a lot of difference).

Tesla has covered 16,000 miles (26,000kms) and those tires have never been rotated, aligned or had a puncture (touchwood). They still look new and have lot of tire depth and I expect them to last another 15,000 miles (25,000 kms) for sure.

Btw, I do accelerate at every given chance so it’s not like I am babying the tires. While the general concept is the tires of an EV will get chewed faster than an ICE car is true, my experience till date seems to tell me there isn’t much difference that favors an ICE car in this department.

I reckon multiple other factors like road infrastructure, driving style, how tires are taken care will matter as well.
Looks like I spoke too early. My Tesla tires seem to have worn out faster than my ICE car tires.

Primary Reasons :

1. Summer Performance Tires

2. I never rotated the tires till date. If I had, it would have easily lasted me another 10K miles.

3. My bad habit of hard accelerations and Red light drag-racing.

So, I don't know if I really can change my opinion if EV tires last lesser than ICE cars as I'm partly to be blamed but, I think will now vote it might last little lesser than the ICE counterparts.

Full Details Here :

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5763339

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks