Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2024, 10:24   #16
BHPian

Re: EV Battery degradation - A simple calculator?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Interesting way. Or you can ask the TASS to check the SoH on the next service schedule.
Will be good if we can get this via OBD scanner ourselves. Not sure if anyone has bought and tested.
Old 4th April 2024, 11:07   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by careind View Post
I doubt that the degradation would progress faster with the age of the battery and would be a curve and not a straight line.
I definitely think it will not be linear because our driving habits (and charging habits too) will change over time. Here’s a link to some battery degradation tests carried out by battery university: https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries
navinmra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 11:28   #18
BHPian

Battery degradation for the current Tata vehicles should be a non issue. I agree with the comments that batteries will outlast the car.

My Tiago EV at 14k kms showed a similar SOH of 99%. This is after one season of intense NCR summer and one season of prolonged NCR winter. I've exclusively slow charged during overnight charging and to 100% each time. If we can extrapolate!, i expect battery degradation to hit 10% at 150k kms,but its a bit early to see that long into the future. At 10% degradation, total range with AC will be 150-160kms.

Very very happy with the car, barring minor niggles. Nothing beats this car for a city use case. No issues observed. Bad FM again as reported on other Tata threads, thats Tata being stupid with cost cutting.
Old 4th April 2024, 11:52   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldice4u View Post
I've exclusively slow charged during overnight charging and to 100% each time.
Hi @coldice4u quick question: do you start driving out immediately after SOC reaches 100% or do you let the car sit there in the garage?

Charging to 100% has been a bone of contention in my mind. On one hand TaMo says charge the car to 100% once a week (perhaps oversimplified instruction) while on the other hand polestar recommends charging to 90% unless you need the range and are driving out right away. The Battery university article that I posted earlier also mentions that Li ion batteries are least stressed when they are at 50% SOC..

My own approach with the Nexon has been to charge it to 100% only before long drives while slow charging from 40% to 80% every other time.

Would love to learn charging habits of other EV users.
Old 4th April 2024, 12:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navinmra View Post
Hi @coldice4u quick question: do you start driving out immediately after SOC reaches 100% or do you let the car sit there in the garage?
My car charges overnight and it always completes charging to 100% way before i move out. So i switch off the charger, take the charger out and move out. In under a minute i would say.

Tata does recommend that you drive only 90 secs after disconnecting the charger but i think i have ever been able to maintain this.

On a side note, i believe you might be over analysing this. Tata uses LFP batteries and charging to 100% everytime is the way to go. My thoughts after a wee bit of research of course.
coldice4u is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 13:07   #21
BHPian

That definitely eases my mind a lot! Btw I am attaching an interesting graph from battery university that plots capacity vs depth of discharge across ranges and temperatures(and charge cycles) pretty intriguing I thought
Attached Thumbnails
EV Battery degradation - A simple calculator?-img_1760.jpeg  

Old 4th April 2024, 14:15   #22
BHPian

Have a Tata.ev, but a Tigor, Sept 2022 bought. For daily run of less than 100km, end up needing to charge overnight, every single night! End up leaving it plugged in at end of day at my home's OEM default slow-charger; charges to 100% in a couple of hours, remains plugged in (I'm not monitoring and switching off deep in the night) and then unplug in the morning to start with the school run.
When brand new, it used to give a 250km+ range, but was diminished and settled now at 99km. Tata ASS blamed it on my driver's style
Old 4th April 2024, 14:35   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Have a Tata.ev, but a Tigor, Sept 2022 bought. For daily run of less than 100km, end up needing to charge overnight, every single night! End up leaving it plugged in at end of day at my home's OEM default slow-charger; charges to 100% in a couple of hours, remains plugged in (I'm not monitoring and switching off deep in the night) and then unplug in the morning to start with the school run.
When brand new, it used to give a 250km+ range, but was diminished and settled now at 99km. Tata ASS blamed it on my driver's style
It would be good for you to add context, how many kms is your ODO at, and what is the current range you are getting on a full charge, what is your AEC,
Lastly get the TASS to check your SoH and provide you the report as I have attached in second post. If your SoH is less than 90% you should fight for a battery replacement. as 10% degradation for 2 years is very high. I have assumed that you drive 100km daily ( hence 54000 km covered over last 18 months )

Last edited by mally2 : 4th April 2024 at 14:38.
Old 5th April 2024, 08:02   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
It would be good for you to add context, how many kms is your ODO at, and what is the current range you are getting on a full charge, what is your AEC,
Lastly get the TASS to check your SoH and provide you the report as I have attached in second post. If your SoH is less than 90% you should fight for a battery replacement. as 10% degradation for 2 years is very high. I have assumed that you drive 100km daily ( hence 54000 km covered over last 18 months )
That’s absolutely right. The battery warranty is unconditional (8 yr / 1,60,000 km) . Range is a function of driving style etc but battery capacity / SoH is a different matter and a topic of warranty.
Old 14th May 2024, 14:57   #25

EV Battery degradation

When we are buying ICE cars we never ask for Engine warranty and don’t ask what will happen after warranty period. But for EVs we have concerns about battery, many of us think what will happen if the battery fails and we have to replace battery after 3-4 years which might cost more.

Personal experience
8 years back we bought a two wheeler EV which came with led acid battery and the battery died after 2-3 years of usage.

In 2018 when I bought my first EV car Mahindra E2o I did not know anything about EV battery (Even today I don’t know much and I don’t wanted to know everything in detail). Initially the true range was 110km for full charge, after 5 years of usage the true range was around 70km for full charge and it used to stop suddenly when SoC comes below 30%.

In 2020 I bought MG ZS EV , so far in 3 and half years I had driven more than 1,18,000kms, battery SoH is 96.42%, Initially for full charge I used to get around 280kms and now there is drop of around 12kms.Charging pattern is around 15% of total charging I had used all type of dc fast chargers on highway long drives and around 85% of time used to charge up to 100%SoC regularly with 15amps socket or type 2 charger.

In 2021 I bought Nexon prime , so far in 2 and half years I had driven more than 70,000kms, battery SoH is 96%. Charging pattern is 99% of time charge up to 100% SoC at home using 15amps socket, DC fast charging was done only 3-4 times.

Degradation varies for each car and each models, Some factors that determine degradation are Climate, charging pattern, driving pattern etc which I can’t understand much.

In India most EVs comes with the battery warranty of 8 years or 1,50,000 kms whichever is earlier. I heard BYD gives 8 years or 5,00,000 kms. I think if there is battery degradation of more than 30% within warranty there will be battery pack replacement (free of cost).Please refer user manual or contact service about this. I know few early model Nexon prime had issues and battery pack replacements, never heard other brand cars replacing battery.

I feel personal cars should be used for 5-8 years, In my MG ZS EV case I am anticipating that I will use this car for another 3 -4 years and drive up to 2,50,000kms. In my assumption if there is same level of degradation i think at the end of 2,50,000kms or in 8 years battery degradation could be around 10% or 90% usable battery. There might be drop in range of around 10% or around 30km maximum, still i would get a true range of around 250kms instead of 280km for full charge. Even if i had 20% degradation still i will be happy. At that stage i could have saved around 2,50,000 * 8Rs per km = 20 lacks using EV instead of ICE cars.

We can get battery SoH checked in service centre, there are OBD scanners available in market and can directly check SoH. If you are buying or selling used EVs then SoH of battery is a key factor to notice.
Attached Thumbnails
EV Battery degradation - A simple calculator?-soh.jpg  

EV Battery degradation - A simple calculator?-soh-nexon.jpg  

Last edited by KarthikK : 14th May 2024 at 15:12.
siva61 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 12:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva61 View Post

EV Battery degradation

We can get battery SoH checked in service centre, there are OBD scanners available in market and can directly check SoH. If you are buying or selling used EVs then SoH of battery is a key factor to notice.
This is great info.

I have the 2020 version of the MG ZS ev Exclusive (with sun roof and all) which has run about 40k km. I'm about to sell this to a friend and want the deal to be fair. What should I sell it for? Any help would be welcome.

About to upgrade to an Ioniq 5.
Old 10th June 2024, 13:20   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva61 View Post

EV Battery degradation

In 2020 I bought MG ZS EV , so far in 3 and half years I had driven more than 1,18,000kms, battery SoH is 96.42%, Initially for full charge I used to get around 280kms and now there is drop of around 12kms.Charging pattern is around 15% of total charging I had used all type of dc fast chargers on highway long drives and around 85% of time used to charge up to 100%SoC regularly with 15amps socket or type 2 charger..
Fantastic info!

How are you calculating the battery SoH? Is it there on the app?
Old 10th June 2024, 15:17   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorjee View Post
Fantastic info!

How are you calculating the battery SoH? Is it there on the app?
You can either go to your service center and they will pull that info through OBD scanner or just scroll to the top of this thread to use the calculation logic I described.

Interestingly, I went to KHT motors this morning for my 3rd Free Service and the scan shows 100% SoH after 1 year and 18,400 Kms! Speaks volumes of how far battery tech has come.

Attachment 2614802

My own calculator pegged the SOH at 99.45% so the scan does validate the calculator logic.
Attached Thumbnails
EV Battery degradation - A simple calculator?-img_2099.jpeg  

navinmra is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks