Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th April 2024, 20:33   #121
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India has paved the way for EV makers like Tesla with import duty concessions

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTE View Post
I wonder if there was pressure from China to choose.
No, it is Elon Musk's latest venture that is being fast-tracked.

Elon Musk visits China as Tesla seeks self-driving technology rollout.

Quote:
Chinese state media reported that he met Premier Li Qiang in Beijing, during which Li told Musk that Tesla's development in China could be regarded as a successful example of U.S.-China economic and trade cooperation.

Musk confirmed his meeting with the premier on Sunday with a post on social media platform X.

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 28th April 2024 at 20:35.
Old 18th May 2024, 11:29   #122
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: India has paved the way for EV makers like Tesla with import duty concessions

The heavily modified import duty concessions seem to not entice Tesla as it shifts its focus towards developing Full Self-Driving technology.

Tesla 'silent'; yet to communicate its India plans.

Link:
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2024, 12:10   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Govt's reduction in tax draws lukewarm response.

Govt awaits Tesla's India plans, urges Vinfast, BMW to invest in new capacity for EVs. New policy offers incentives for high-end cars, including import of 26,000 units annually with INR 4,150 crore investment. Existing players eligible for incentives.

Govt: Investment has to be a green field. The company doesn't have to be greenfield.

Link:
Old 19th May 2024, 17:30   #124
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/2 (11)

Elon Musk: 'I'm told import duties are extremely high (up to 100 per cent), even for electric cars. This would make our cars unaffordable in India!'

Biden: 'Hold my beer!'

Old 20th May 2024, 21:42   #125

Tesla isn’t going to change transportation here. All that Elon praise earlier in other threads regarding this news only to see that he probably played it to get better terms in China regarding robotaxi endeavour. We can only urge the local players to do better. Our govt has laid out a competent policy.
Sedated is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2024, 12:52   #126
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
As for Tesla investment, if they asked me as a investor in the company, I'd say tread carefully. And I hope they do. But if any company can do it, it is Tesla.
I told you so. I was always skeptical about a large scale Tesla invesment in India. On the outset they may be a big company which does almost $100bn in sales annually but they still operate like a lean start up. India is a tiny market for relatively expensive cars and the average selling price for the mass market cars is just too low even for the so called $25k Tesla.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedated View Post
Tesla isn’t going to change transportation here. All that Elon praise earlier in other threads regarding this news only to see that he probably played it to get better terms in China regarding robotaxi endeavour. We can only urge the local players to do better. Our govt has laid out a competent policy.
Far from it. China is a huge (bigger than US or Europe) very competitive market. The only favor Tesla ever got was being allowed to set up a 100% owned entity which was unseen for a car maker in China. I dont think they get any ongoing favors given Chinese car makers themselves are so competitive now.

To put the market size in context, BMW sold 820,000 cars in China last year. In India, a mere 14,172 - or in other words, Chinese buy more BMW's in a month than BMW will sell in India in 5 years! We arent even in the same galaxy as a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Tesla likely to skip India for now, as it has capital issues and doesn’t plan on pledging fresh investment into India in the near future.

Link:
Car Industry world wide is going through a hard time with switch to electric, high interest rates and stagnant economy. As a share holder I welcome this decision wholeheartedly. India's time will come but its not there yet.
extreme_torque is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2024, 13:41   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

With uncertainty of Tesla coming to India anytime soon, Govt. is likely to make changes to India's new EV policy that may benefit legacy players.

Quote:
Given the unlikelihood of Tesla committing to the construction of a local factory in the near future, discussions are underway with industry stakeholders to make the scheme more accommodating to established players.
Name:  Screenshot 20240708 134053.png
Views: 64
Size:  341.8 KB

The current policy only supports fresh investments aimed at accelerating the local manufacturing of high-end electric cars.
Automakers have raised two primary concerns: first, that they should take into account current investments and second that it should include plants producing both petrol and
diesel vehicles alongside EVs, given the small share of EVs in India's passenger vehicle market, which does not justify high investments.
No automaker has yet made any official comment on participating in the EV scheme since the announcement in March 15.
The government may potentially consider investments in plants producing both ICE and EVs.as eligible for incentives., in order to add scale and make large investments viable for automakers.

Several carmakers, including Volkswagen-Skoda, Hyundai-Kia, and VinFast, have expressed interest in the new policy, known as the Scheme for Manufacturing of Electric Cars (SMEC).

Link:

Last edited by volkman10 : 8th July 2024 at 13:42.
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks