Team-BHP > Electric Cars

View Poll Results: Why you bought an EV in 2023-24? (Multiple choice)
Zero tailpipe emissions & green image of EVs 42 31.34%
Cheap running and maintenance costs 93 69.40%
Needed a second car for city running 45 33.58%
Smooth driving experience, very easy to drive, no gears, minimum noise or vibrations 82 61.19%
Love the straight-line acceleration & instant torque 67 50.00%
250-300km range is enough for me 47 35.07%
Can charge at home 69 51.49%
Bored of IC-engine cars 11 8.21%
I want to support the EV industry 21 15.67%
Others (please specify in your post) 5 3.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2024, 07:38   #31
BHPian

Re: Reasons why you actually bought an Electric Car

It's the transmission for me.

For self drive:
Gearless EVs > manual transmission > auto transmission
Can't enjoy torque converter ATs, while there's an option for the other 2.

For chauffeur:
Gearless EVs > auto transmission > manual transmission
Smoother ride, as you aren't dependent on his skill of picking the correct gear at a given RPM/load/speed.

Second reason is fuel efficiency. Especially if chauffeured.
A light foot vs heavy foot can costs 10s of Ks/month. Even if the EV is sensitive one, the delta is just a few bucks here and there.
sidoxic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 17:26   #32

For me, it has been three of the reasons:
1) Zero tail pipe emissions and the green image.
2) Charging at home.
3) Supporting the EV industry, especially the domestic players.

Even though its a common never ending of debate of EVs being greener than ICE or not, I believe them to be better at least when powered using solar energy. I already had a grid tied solar system installed at our home well before buying the EV. So the car majorly runs on solar energy and even when I am charging outside on the highway using the grid power, the solar system at home will be diligently doing its work of generating and feeding sustainable solar energy back to the grid. So for the majority of my usage. I am off the grid. This idea of generating your own power and the option of being completely off the grid is what attracted me mainly towards EVs. Also, even if the EVs are powered through thermal power, I believe at least they don't contribute in deteriorating the AQI of our cities, which unfortunately our metro cities are famous for. Earlier with our petrol car, I used to be extremely cautious with the usage as I was against burning fuel unnecessarily. I used to take trains for inter city commute and took out the car only when extremely necessary. My usage used to be around 8,000 km per year, majority being in the city (as the car is being used in a tier-3 city where public transport is not well developed). But with the purchase of EV and it running on solar energy, I have started taking the car for majority of the times when two or more people are travelling as it comes out to be more economical than the trains (Rs 0.60 /km when charged from solar energy and Rs 3 /km when charged from the public fast charging network)! My Nexon EV Max in the last 14 months has run about 22,500 km, a sharp 181% increase in usage compared to my previous petrol car!

Also I am very happy that our domestic players like Tata and Mahindra are taking a lead in the EV industry and are bringing out very competent vehicles (which unfortunately was not the case in ICE technology owing to our closed markets till 1991 and the period of license raj which severely stunted their growth and made them laggards in ICE technology compared to global players). Hence I am happy supporting them and that is the reason I am ok with compromising with the niggles that crops up with the Nexon EV. I truly wish that they grow out to be global players in the EV space.
sachinshastry is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 17:40   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Checked everything except the city runabout option.
My current ZS EV is my daily commuter, highway car, family car all in one. I have never felt it inadequate in any instances.
I will only upgrade to an EV going forward.
After buying my Comet and having used it for a shade lower than 10K kms (should touch 10K kms in 3 days), in 4 months and 4 days, I am a total EV convert. My next car, whenever it is, shall be an EV for sure. Its really addictive to drive. Best of both worlds, acceleration, silence and economy (each not at the cost of the other)
ALTIMAed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 19:14   #34
BHPian

I went for Nexon EV as I needed an automatic car for high daily usage with low running costs.
After 18 months and 28k kms, I'm a total convert now.

That guilt free travelling without worrying about running costs per km cannot be matched.
The torque and acceleration, ease of driving in traffic, slopes and inclines are added bonus!
Attached Thumbnails
Reasons why you actually bought an Electric Car-img_20240204_141556-2.jpg  

Last edited by Way2Jimny : 12th March 2024 at 19:19.
Way2Jimny is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 23:59   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidoxic View Post
It's the transmission for me.
For self drive:
Gearless EVs > manual transmission > auto transmission
Can't enjoy torque converter ATs, while there's an option for the other 2.
I am of a similar mindset as you and place the Engine/Gearbox combo front and center while deciding. Been driving a V6 since a while, and the relative lack of refinement in 4 pot engines became a constraint while selecting the next one. The only one satisfying all of our criteria is the X3 M40i, which is a bit of a stretch at the moment.

And so I have pivoted fully towards EVs and booked the Model Y. The test drive convinced me that it has enough refinement, power and driving dynamics to keep me excited, while taking care of the family needs. Although I still have misgivings about lack of physical controls, let's see how that goes. The combination of price cuts, incentives and ownership costs now makes it a pretty VFM proposition.
Old 13th March 2024, 21:00   #36

My main reason to go for an EV was that I didn't have to think about the running cost before taking the car out. Earlier our running was about 9k km per year. Since the EV has arrived, we have covered 36k km in 2 years. Earlier we didn't go for longer trips than 200km because of the fatigue while driving. Since the EV has arrived, we have done many trips of 400+ km. Now whenever we have time, we go out with family for late night drives and it doesn't pinch our pocket too. Contemplating a Comet EV also. Just FYI, we have gotten solar panels installed too so post buying it, we are running it on green energy.
Redlinerage is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 10:20   #37
BHPian

An excerpt from Bhpian Long Tourer’s Tucson Ownership:

“During the service, the Service Advisor noted a peculiar issue though. After reviewing previous service records, it was discovered that during the 4th service, only 5.5L of Engine Oil were poured instead of the required 7.7L for the diesel variant. I didn’t budge much as the vehicle was functioning normally after the 6th service. After a little bit of research, I could find out that the 2.0L petrol engine of the Tucson requires only 5.5L of engine oil, while the diesel engine requires 7.7L of Engine Oil. It appeared that during the 4th service, Hyundai technicians mistakenly presumed the vehicle to be a petrol variant and added petrol engine oil in our diesel Tucson. This highlights the lack of familiarity among Hyundai technicians in servicing the Tucson, which signifies their inadequate training for handling CKD products.”

Alongside all the usual reasons for going EV, this is a major motivator for me. The EV powertrain is not part of routine maintenance activity which could be handled by anyone in the dealership heirarchy. EVs being new to the market, and numbers being small for now, most manufacturers are overseeing dealership service activity.

With my EV, poor attention to detail and improper handling of my car at the dealership, like any ICE car, is something that wouldn’t surprise me. I think I can rest easy for now knowing the powertrain is not being worked on, aesthetics be damned.
BRZRKR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 12:11   #38
BHPian

I'm also considering joining the EV family. Given my background in sustainability and my professional involvement in EV supply chains and their life cycle impacts, I refrain from labeling it as inherently environmentally friendly or green. Likewise, I'm cautious about touting the purchase of Tata or Mahindra vehicles as a triumph for Make in India, given their eventual origins in China or Chinese-controlled markets. However, my decision will primarily hinge on driving pleasure that comes with sorted shock absorptions and absolutely no NVH.

After test-driving nearly all models, from the Mg Comet to the ZS, covering Punch, Nexon, and XUV 400, I'm inclined towards purchasing the XUV for its exceptional ride quality, well-tuned FDD suspension, and rear seat comfort, especially considering the appealing price point it offers. Nonetheless, I'll miss the premium interiors of the MG. Yet, the absence of front parking sensors and a 360-degree camera in the XUV is a significant drawback, especially since this car will predominantly be driven by my spouse, who finds navigating margins challenging and perceives the XUV's width as daunting amidst the chaotic traffic of Hyderabad (a city notorious for its reckless drivers).
nhkvarma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed