Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th March 2024, 19:40   #31
BHPian

Re: BYD Seal : A Close Look

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS_ View Post
Just coming from a test drive for Seal (thanks Landmark, Andheri).

Happy to confirm, the ground clearance is not an issue (the route had speed breakers of various heights and sophistication).

Only issue is compared to my current 2015 Skoda Superb (1.8 TSI) that I am looking to replace, the cabin didnt feel any more premium. To be fair, I felt the same about M340i, so maybe its me.

I may still go ahead with Seal (though not sure between Performance or Premium versions), but I feel over the years I have fallen in love with Superb with its in cabin feel, the cabin character, to a level where I am not sure whether I should wait for CBU Superb anticipated in next few months or go ahead with Seal.
The 2nd Gen top end superb was 25L ex-showroom and the next Gen that came around 2015-16 was around 30L.

Both the mentioned cars were exceptionally well furnished for that time. And as most people tend to agree the interior quality of most vehicles hasn't been increasing proportionally to the cost of the same vehicle. That's the primary reason you'd think the BMW 340i's interior isn't vastly superior to that of your old superb.

And If you were to replace your existing superb with a new one, whose prices I'd expect to be upwards of 42L seeing it'll be a CBU import, you'd still feel the same as you you did with the 340i.

Frankly, it depends if an EV does indeed fulfill your requirement. If it does make sense in your use case and especially hearing that you don't have a problem with the Seal's GC - which as per me could be the primary deal breaker for some (more real world experiences to be heard) - if I were in your position, I'd get the Seal. It's a lot of car for the price. And premium (more VFM?) or performance (beats the pants of the competition) should be your personal choice.

Not to mention, you have the 'for-now' privilege of still not having to pay the road tax in MH. Just a matter of time before the road taxes kick in, along with the rest. Eitherway, happy shopping!
Hume is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th March 2024, 22:33   #32
BHPian

Test drove the Seal - Premium version. It truly is a premium car. Crazy fast in sports mode, excellent fit and finish, very silent cabin and all the fancy features. Having driven Model-3 for more than a week, this feels much more premium. If you are buying a Sedan 30L-90L, this is it. Easily beats the likes of Camry, Superb, A6, etc.
Few smaller issues I noticed - the all-glass roof was super hot to touch from inside. Dealer said they'll be providing some kind of "cover" for it. Ground clearance is a little less. Ride is slightly on the stiffer side.
If the Chinese make this India, they can sell it at <30L on-road. That'd just make most of our existing cars laughable.
gnome is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 05:39   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnome View Post
Test drove the Seal - Premium version. It truly is a premium car. Crazy fast in sports mode, excellent fit and finish, very silent cabin and all the fancy features. Having driven Model-3 for more than a week, this feels much more premium. If you are buying a Sedan 30L-90L, this is it. Easily beats the likes of Camry, Superb, A6, etc.

Few smaller issues I noticed - the all-glass roof was super hot to touch from inside. Dealer said they'll be providing some kind of "cover" for it. Ground clearance is a little less. Ride is slightly on the stiffer side.
If the Chinese make this India, they can sell it at <30L on-road. That'd just make most of our existing cars laughable.
Truly makes you wonder how much some other brands are overcharging us for subpar quality and features.

If I were in market today looking for a 20L~ car, MG ZS EV hands down. If around 30L, then better try and stretch to get Atto3 or Seal, long term will will cost you less anyway and probably will outlive 10 years easily.

Given the vast spread of chargers, range anxiety is not an issue.

With a 300 KM range, one can easily check on plugshare just how far and wide they can take their EV (I checked, let alone pretty much anywhere in India, you can even take it to Nepal/Kathmandu as there are chargers even there).

Last edited by Aditya : 14th March 2024 at 19:20. Reason: Please avoid making political statements
shubhank008 is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 11th March 2024, 18:06   #34

It feels like BYD is the only model other than Tesla that will have staying power. Most US EV makers are feeling the pinch of not being profitable in the EV segment, or just plain out teetering on the brink of bankruptcy. In india, after MG, BYD is the first automaker to make a huge splash for EV vehicles.

Personally, I am very conflicted about BYD. I love the tech specs and the fact that batteries can be drained to 0 and charged to 100%. Range anxiety is low given the range offered and the battery is among the safest.

What I dont love is the design concepts. I love the ATTO3 but cannot digest the funky interior. Even if I did replace seat covers, it wont gel well with the panel designs. The much muted 2024 version is not available in India and the Seal U is not yet slated for indian shores. The SEAL is a better option in terms of regal interiors but at 145mm ground clearance its going to scrape every bump on the way home. Also 3.8s? I dont believe most indian customers are looking to gun the motors. It feels like every choice BYD made in India has a personal why!!!!!
chavan77 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 10:28   #35
BHPian

Much has been talked about the crazy performance numbers of the Seal but the range seems to be overlooked. Efficiency in the BYD Seal seems to be absolutely bonkers.

This German YouTuber got 20kWh/100Km or 400Km+ range even when cruising at 130-150 Kmph on the Autobahn. Similarly priced competition such as the Hyundai IONIQ 5 or Kia EV6 barely match these figures at 90-100 Kmph while some German rivals such as iX1 or EQB are even worse.

That would translate to 500Km+ real world range in most driving senarios in India. Mind you, this is in the range topping AWD Performance 3.8S variant. The RWD Premium could get at-least 50Km more range.

BYD’s vertical integration has really paid off here where their LFP Blade battery not only provides great longevity and safety, paired with efficient motors, good BMS and low drag coefficient provides a very appealing performance and range combo at a very VFM price point.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 16:33   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerEV05 View Post
Test Drove the BYD Seal in Andheri West, Mumbai

I believe BYD is all set to bring an EV Revolution in India.
It would surely be a brave soul who would venture to do an intercity travel without a spare tyre. Any recommendations from BYD on workarounds? Where do we store the extra tyre if we buy one anyways? How much would the boot volume reduce with the spare tyre?
Old 12th March 2024, 23:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
https://Youtu.be/gK8imml5wyE?si=NYwT-61NsxCJZ7Mo

Much has been talked about the crazy performance numbers of the Seal but the range seems to be overlooked. Efficiency in the BYD Seal seems to be absolutely bonkers.

This German YouTuber got 20kWh/100Km or 400Km+ range even when cruising at 130-150 Kmph on the Autobahn.
The Chinese are known paymasters of many YouTube channels. I would always take these reviews with the pinch of salt. Mobile or a car, always use your own judgment, And don’t let the influencers influence your decision
pandabear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th March 2024, 23:53   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TkyoPandaMan View Post
Second, the dismal ground clearance. I believe its around 145mm. While some BYD sales advisors say that even some luxury cars like Audi, BMW and Mercedes have low ground clearance, it is still above 145mm, I believe its around 160mm. And this is UNLADEN. So like someone mentioned above, this will need to be tested with full load of 4/5 people and luggage to see how it affects the drives.

Other than these 2 points, I really cant fault the car or its pricing. Everything else seems to be bang on! (so far)
The only reason I am completely ignoring BYD Seal. The battery of the EVs rests at the bottom and every time the protective plate hits the bumper, my heart skips a bit. It happens often with my ZS EV 2020 and it has a GC of 165mm. Can't imagine driving a car with a 145mm GC on the Mumbai roads!
doctorjee is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 00:14   #39
BHPian

The BYD seal is a rather surprising entrant for the Indian market, reviving the once dead sub 50L sedan segment. Sedan lovers who don't want to go premium can now choose between the seal, upcoming Octavia/ Superb CBU/CKD and the Camry!

I also read the seal is a Tesla model 3 equivalent. Funny it's coming to our roads while Tesla, the once global leader in EVs is yet to make in roads.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 11:10   #40
BHPian

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-rev...7eFqiAUixLtSaU

Autocar India’s review of the BYD SEAL
Kevinrevvz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 11:40   #41
BANNED

On paper the BYD Seal looks very enticing, But this would only be a niche vehicle:

- Its a sedan from a relatively new brand for our market (and Chinese)
- Very low on practicality, Small boot, low ground clearance, No spare tyre, High cost
- Other than enthusiasts, no one care for 0-100 timings. Anyway there are very limited opportunities to do so.
- Other EV related issues (charging anxiety, service anxiety, safety etc.)

There is certainly a small market available for such vehicles which will make it a niche.

Last edited by UD17 : 14th March 2024 at 11:41.
Old 14th March 2024, 11:43   #42
Senior - BHPian

BYD Seal review by ACI

Venkatesh is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 17:15   #43
BHPian

It seems BYD customers are facing quality issues in the international market. As with every new launch, exercising caution will definitely help in avoiding those headaches later on.

https://insideevs.com/news/712148/by...ional-markets/
Old 14th March 2024, 17:17   #44
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhank008 View Post
how this whole anti-national propaganda against China/import did nothing but end up costing normal public more in money, less in quality.
You are free to purchase whatever products that are available in the Indian market. But this comment of yours must be avoided. You must appreciate that we were almost in a state of war with China. Our soldiers died. Its not a joke or a random agenda by a political party.

When you are in such a conflict with a nation, it is not prudent to allow them to do business on your territory.

The fact that you are now free to purchase the BYD Seal shows that situation has now been de-escalated and steps towards positive relations have been taken.

On the other hand, your quip about Chinese products being so cheap vs Indian products has to be seen in the context that they are far ahead of us in technology of EVs and have better economies of scale. Which is why they sell cheap. Not only EVs but they can compete with India on many other products too.

India is getting there. The Make In India initiative did help to some extent and our local companies are ramping up their manufacturing prowess. In another 15-20 years, India will be there. In this journey, vocal for local helps businesses get there. Vocal for local is not a random slogan which does not benefit Indians. No one forces people to buy from Indian companies but to bring people to buy local wherever they can certainly helps a lot.
sjain2054 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 18:00   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
You are free to purchase whatever products that are available in the Indian market. But this comment of yours must be avoided. You must appreciate that we were almost in a state of war with China. Our soldiers died. Its not a joke or a random agenda by a political party.

When you are in such a conflict with a nation, it is not prudent to allow them to do business on your territory.

The fact that you are now free to purchase the BYD Seal shows that situation has now been de-escalated and steps towards positive relations have been taken.

Well there is alot of politics involved. If the Govt is serious it should offer incentives for manufacturing and not merely ban apps and if it bans products than it ensures that the ban stays and is not selective.

A free market economy that encourages local manufacturing in a country the size of India is the way forward.

BYD is a good product and none other than Elon Musk says Chinese EVs will slaughter competition.

The BYD Seal outperforms the Model 3 and is a very beautiful car ( poor mans Taycan )

We need good cars in India and why only good cars … we need good products. Most consumer electronics of all brands including India are made in China.

What is stopping India from going ahead ? Infact we are loosing out to neighbours and south east asia in as far as manufacturing goes.

With cheap labour , good technitians and engineers we have all it takes to be a leader in manufacturing but what is needed is policy support.

Just reducing the taxes on fuel , GST on cars will go a long way to spur demand. Cars in the US and EU are cheaper because we have exorbitant taxes.

Infact we pay Road tax on the GST charged on cars … taxes on taxes which is blatantly unfair.

Demand can be spurred by right policies, more demand more manufacturing more jobs and more money.

I would love Indian / Chinese companies to come up with good sports cars for the common man. Now that 200 hp petrol engines are mainstream in India and EVs can offer it easily. Just a good looking 2 door cabrio , convertible , coupe with low maintenance.

Toyota , Suzuki , Tata , Mahindra, Hyundai and BYD are you listening?
Urorobo is offline   (10) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks