Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2024, 20:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Motors slashes EV prices by up to Rs 1.2 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_cnr View Post
I purchased Nexon EV facelift just a few weeks ago and am having a horrific experience with the problems I am facing. Price drop is not an answer when the quality of your vehicle is so so bad. I always respected Tata for the nation loving company they have been, but I never knew owning a Tata car can be such a nightmare of an experience.
It would be beneficial to explain what problems have led you to this conclusion instead of general negative feedback. Is it problems related to the product, the dealer or the earthing in your house. It would be beneficial for the forum folks also in that we can help out in the best way we can as a community.
Nanolover is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 09:39   #17
BHPian

TATA is making space for the curve, if not then the Punch EV prices would have also dropped.
Precision is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 10:25   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_cnr View Post
I purchased Nexon EV facelift just a few weeks ago and am having a horrific experience with the problems I am facing. Price drop is not an answer when the quality of your vehicle is so so bad. I always respected Tata for the nation loving company they have been, but I never knew owning a Tata car can be such a nightmare of an experience.
This is such a great point. I can't understand how a company culture can be so entrenched that after close to a decade they are still unable to get their QC right. Sorry to see what you're going through. I saw your post history in brief. Could you make a more detailed one with any videos so the rest of us are aware what we are getting into. Thanks.
Iyencar is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 10:30   #19
BHPian

The reduction in the prices for EVs seem to be a global phenomenon and it seems like the price correction will continue for some more time. Did the industry over anticipate the demand for EVs and inflate the prices to make a killing?

There are many news articles of EVs remaining unsold in dealer lots without significant demand, especially in the US, resulting is price cuts. Also, after the initial honeymoon period, the issues and challenges in long term ownership of EVs are starting to crop up, further complicated by the lack of adequate and functioning infrastructure for charging. Major auto companies, like Ford, are scaling back on their EV plans based on the demand feedback from the market.
Old 14th February 2024, 10:48   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

India's EV market needs a recharge: FADA

Quote:
We need to see a lot of new models coming in, various price points to play with a better range and better availability of charging stations for higher penetration of electric vehicles in passenger cars
Quote:
EV penetration in passenger cars continues to hover around 1.5-2%
Quote:
the government is considering a ₹12,500 crore FAME III for two years with a reduced outlay per product. This would mean that EV companies would have to consider a zero subsidy scenario in the next two to three years. All of this could impact margins, cost and demand.
Link:
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 11:20   #21
Senior - BHPian

The drop in prices of Nexon have been due to the prices of XUV 400 which has been launched at highly competitive prices.

You get a bigger car with similar features and range at 17.5 L ex factory EL Pro . People are happy with their purchases and Mahindra service stations are much better than Tata. I would go for the XUV 400 any day if I were to purchase an EV today

The new Nexon look also doesn't appeal to me. Too many cuts and creases. What happened to clean looking cars?
Palio_2005 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudarshan42 View Post

But didn't realize that efficiency drop will only be ~15-20% in 8 years- assumed it would be 50% of that of a new EV.
70% SoH level till 8years / 1.6lakh km comes under warranty. They will replace the battery if it falls below this.
ritesh_44 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:23   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Motors has reduced the prices of its pure electric models by up to Rs 1.2 lakh.

According to Vivek Srivatsa, Chief Commercial Officer of Tata Passenger Electric Mobility (TPEM), battery costs constitute a substantial part of the overall cost of an EV. With battery cell prices having softened in the recent past and considering their potential reduction in the foreseeable future, the carmaker has chosen to proactively pass on the resulting benefits directly to customers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Price revision for Tiago is as follows
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
I'm wondering why Empowered Plus LR didn't receive the same price correction as Tata said it's passing on the battery price reduction benefits to customers.
I too noticed that the price reduction across variants, with same battery pack size, is not equal. So, there's more than just battery price reduction for this decision. Is Tata not passing the entire saving to the customers ?
Old 14th February 2024, 12:51   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
Here's the price list, variant-wise. The LR version, especially the fearless one, has had a good price correction. I'm wondering why Empowered Plus LR didn't receive the same price correction as Tata said it's passing on the battery price reduction benefits to customers.

Attachment 2572203
Top and base variants generally have less margins. Here I think top end was capped at 19.99 and Tata was absorbing some of the cost to avoid sticker shock of going into 20L range.
Old 14th February 2024, 12:52   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
It would be beneficial to explain what problems have led you to this conclusion instead of general negative feedback. Is it problems related to the product, the dealer or the earthing in your house. It would be beneficial for the forum folks also in that we can help out in the best way we can as a community.
The vehicle has issues such as motor starting without any prompt, not turning off when the stop button is pushed, charging gun not releasing, motor skip while braking, gear not shifting to 'D' upon start, infotainment not connecting to bluetooth, inaccurate vehicle range info, stereo running even after locking the door, etc.

The issues are random and unpredictable. The daily life of dealing with the car is very burdensome to say the least. Just imagine driving somewhere and you cannot leave the car and get to your business because the vehicle wouldn't turn off. You park the car in a tight garage with 3 other vehicles in the front and all vehicles are stuck because your charging gun does not release.

The number of messages, emails, phone calls I have made to Tata and the dealer are countless. The new car was kept in the service station for almost 2 weeks without any proper resolution.
ravi_cnr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 13:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakride View Post
Top and base variants generally have less margins. Here I think top end was capped at 19.99 and Tata was absorbing some of the cost to avoid sticker shock of going into 20L range.
Usually, margins increase from lower to top variants. That's the reason sales guys try to up-sell higher variants.
AutoNoob is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 15:40   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vernafied View Post
Exactly they can't reduce price to extent where price will same as ICE Nexon and ICE Nexon is way overpriced after the update so Tata is now trapped
The bean counters at Tata got too greedy for EVs. On the contrary, Tata is best positioned to go with an EV first strategy, and portfolio rationalisation. They have to do this in this FY or latest the next, before Maruti comes in with their EV.

I still believe that this year is Tatas best and possibly last shot at democratizing EVs and becoming a premium (20 Lakhs plus) player.

Most of the competing mid range CSUVs and the AMTs can be felled in one swoop with competitive EV pricing and product placement.

Tatas Achilles heels are:
1. Engine options
2. Lack of proper AT
3. QC and ASS

1 and 2 can be fully addressed with EVs and 3 to an extent as well (EVs *if built well and QCed* should be easier for ASS to maintain)

The price cuts are still too less. And also they have to build a unified ICE and EV portfolio which is still completely missing.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 16:00   #28
BHPian

Personally very happy to see that for the Tiago Ev, prices have not been reduced much, the ex showroom price is still higher than what i paid for my XZ+ LR. The new XE variant is just a place holder to make the entry point for EVs appear lower.

For Nexon, Tata tried being a bit greedy. They were charging a price delta of almost 2.2 lakhs for a 10kwh increase in battery size, which appears untenable. The same difference in battery capacity in the Punch Ev is just 1 lakh with a lot more equipment. So this was just Tata taking out some of the bloat.

Very happy with the Tiago EV for what it is . Have Covered almost 14k in 11 months and has been a delight. The XZ versions of Tiago Ev doesn't make much sense now after the launch of the Punch Ev. Checked SOH during my annual service and was very happy to see SOH at 99%. If this trend persists, with my kind of usage i expect my SOH to be around 90% in 10 years or after 1,50,000 kms. Still early in the curve but keeping my fingers crossed.

Will i buy an EV again? A big yes!
Will i buy the Tiago EV again? No. Punch EV Adventure LR has much more value now.

I'm also of the opinion that EVs will not hold resale atleast for the early adopters. There will be constant progress making previously launched models constantly lose value. Something similar to early android mobile phones.

Last edited by coldice4u : 14th February 2024 at 16:19.
coldice4u is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 16:43   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoNoob View Post
Usually, margins increase from lower to top variants. That's the reason sales guys try to up-sell higher variants.
Generally the mid Variants are the most profitable. Manufacturers use the Top variants as Halo variants featuring new and expensive technologies to get good reviews and create distinction. Also due to low share in sales of Top variants, most of these top end variants parts are not even localised, hence expensive. Cost wise some of the delta is absorbed by the manufacturer to avoid the sticker shock.
Blakride is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 17:04   #30
BHPian

EV prices will continue to fall for the next few years, so this is not the best time to buy a new one. Meanwhile ICE resale values will drop as the market shifts to EV, so this is not the best time to buy a new ICE!

But hopefully road legal ICE-to-EV conversion jobs will become affordable and perhaps even irresistible by the late 20s. As energy density improves, battery packs will be relatively light, compact and cheap!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks