Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: EV vs Hybrid - Which car will you buy today?
MG ZS EV - Excite 38 13.48%
MG ZS EV - Exclusive 33 11.70%
XUV 400 - EL PRO - 39.4 KW 9 3.19%
Hyundai Kona - Premium 9 3.19%
Tata Nexon - Empowered Plus LR 41 14.54%
Toyota Hyryder - V Hybrid 116 41.13%
Maruti Suzuki Grand Vitara - Alpha Plus Hybrid 36 12.77%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2024, 14:47   #31
BHPian

Re: EV vs Hybrid - Which is a better buy today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
For an EV car to require a battery change, the battery state of health needs to reach 80% or below. Most batteries will give minimum 1500 charge cycles before state of health reduces to 80%. With modest range of 250 kms per charge cycle, you can easily run 3-4 lakh kms before battery replacement is required. In that 3 lakh kms, you would have gained a running cost advantage of Rs. 9 lakh.
The problem is we're seeing several users who had to replace their batteries due to sudden issues with battery management not because of degradation. Seems to be a common practice atleast for TATA EVs to replace entire battery for critical alerts. In the thread on users sharing experience of having run more than 1 lakh kilometres, common theme was most of them having to replace battery atleast once. https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...nces-here.html (High mileage EVs in India | Share the highest odometer readings & experiences here)
If such a scenario occurs after the warranty period, the savings are going to take a hit.
Joe367 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 15:56   #32

Hybrid as for now, India lacks the infrastructure for fully electric cars.
Old 8th February 2024, 16:13   #33
BHPian

My Choice would be Hybrid. Only under the condition that the Hybrid is the only vehicle available with ICE.

I will always consider Diesel as the best fossil fuel option till it is available. Not a single thing can match diesel with Fuel Efficiency and power combination.

Hybrids will give mileage but power will not be there. Turbo petrol will give power but will not give fuel efficiency.

I rate cars based on in-gear acceleration. Normal petrol can’t Pull like a Diesel any day any time.
N4Nikunj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 16:16   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post
Attachment 2570525

I personally sold my MG ZS EV in order to buy the City e:HEV and I've written about it in this post:
Just to clarify for everyone's benefit, you sold ZS EV 1.0 (40 KW battery). The car being compared here is ZS EV 2.0 (50 KW battery).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindgrinder View Post
the India government policy taxes hybrid at the highest rate.
No, it is not so govt gives 2% subsidy to hybrid vehicles over their ICE counter parts. GST+ CESS for hybrids (28%+15%) and for non hybrid cars (28% + 17%)

Despite the lesser combined GST, Hyryder and Grand Vitara are not able to undercut even their diesel competitors - Creta and Seltos. Toyota has this technology since 20 years, how difficult it is for them to localize the tech and undercut at least diesel cars.

EV vs Hybrid - Which is a better buy today?-screenshot-20240208-154248.png
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe367 View Post
If such a scenario occurs after the warranty period, the savings are going to take a hit.
Battery issues have been reducing over a period of time as the battery manufacturing @ Tata is maturing. The warranty is till 1,60,000 kms, one would have saved minimum Rs. 5 lakh (initial cost + running cost) by the time warranty runs out. If one has to reinvest that into the car, it is not that big a deal. Also similar problems have not been observed in Hyundai and MG cars.
ferrarirules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 16:33   #35
Senior - BHPian

The compact list of options highlights the lack of choice generally (expected to improve) with so many makes and body styles absent altogether. Further, which of the hybrids on offer provides grin worthy performance, it is hard to fathom.

My pick will be a hybrid with a performance boost enough to look the other way from turbos.

Last edited by GeeTee TSI : 8th February 2024 at 16:35.
GeeTee TSI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 17:04   #36
BANNED

I voted by mistake for MG ZS Exclusive, thinking it was the Executive version. There is no way I would get the Exclusive version for that price.

MG should launch the 72kwh NMC version of the MG ZS Executive or Excite, this higher capacity version in UK costs only ₹2 lakh more then the 50kwh LFP Excite version.

MG4 which is ground up built as a battery only vehicle has more interior space due to larger wheel base and in UK MG4 with a 64kwh battery is also ₹1 lakh cheaper then the MG ZV 50kwh version.
Old 8th February 2024, 22:10   #37

Though Hybrids make a lot of sense for Indian setup, we need to consider some key aspects

Newer fuels - As the emission norms change, the fuel quality changes with more additives which reduce the mileage of most older cars.

Goverment’s aggresive push towards solar energy - most of the people who set up solar will surely think of buying an EV if they are in need of a car instead of buying an ICE car

Complexity of hybrid drivetrains - though they may have benefits of both ICE and EVs, they also carry the disadvantages of both equally, such as high maintenance, battery degradation, transmission failures.

Last edited by KarthikK : 8th February 2024 at 22:13. Reason: Fix for multiple typos and punctuation mistakes
krv09 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 07:06   #38
BHPian

I test drove the MG ZS EV back when the excite variant wasn't even released. The top model car really impressed me with it's tech-loaded cabin and comfortable drive. The salesperson's guaranteed range of ~250km even in worst situations is good enough for most intra-state travel. I'd go for the base model if it offers the same range as the top model, if I recall correctly, the motor and battery are identical.
pepega is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 07:44   #39
BHPian

I have just got Maruti Invicto.If it was electric it would have costed me atleast 5 lakhs more to buy going by the EV pricing trends.It returns me 19-20kmpl tank to tank.I don't have to live with range anxiety or charging hassles.I feel like it is the best way forward.

Lets brainstorm the economics.
I have a very high yearly running, assuming i would have done 30000 kms in a year if i had bought an ev, it would have saved me 1.2 lakh rupees a year compared to Invicto.It would still take more than 4 years to break even on price alone if the car costed around 5 lakhs more to buy.Most people don't have such high running so the time taken to brek even would be even more.

IMHO, adopting an EV is a hassle if you want to make it your primary car , for a second car for city use the case is getting stronger Day by Day in favour of EV's( better automatic gearbox being the USP).
Old 9th February 2024, 09:55   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedic View Post
I have just got Maruti Invicto.If it was electric it would have costed me atleast 5 lakhs more to buy going by the EV pricing trends.It returns me 19-20kmpl tank to tank.I don't have to live with range anxiety or charging hassles.I feel like it is the best way forward.
Correct me if I am wrong but Invicto costs about 27-30 lakhs on road ? And the MG ZS Ev top version is < 26 lakhs. If you do not have facility for home charging then it is a pain but otherwise you do not have to bother about the weekly visits to the petrol pump at all. And you will get one of the best EVs in India with your budget. With an additional +5 lakhs you are almost reaching BYD Atto 3 range.

Also 19-20 kmpl is not a very impressive efficiency. A good diesel hatch would give such a mileage. Of course will not be a big car like Invicto but then look at it from the perspective of some one who wants to achieve 19-20 kmpl and does not otherwise need a bigger vehicle.
Old 9th February 2024, 10:11   #41
Senior - BHPian

For me if its going to be a one car garage, Hybrid for sure and if is more than a single car garage, EV makes more sense.
Old 9th February 2024, 10:31   #42

Big plans this year
1) buy a villa
2) install solar
3) sell ecosport
4) get MG ZS EV (new executive or used 2022 exclusive)

We'll see how it goes

Last edited by atin001 : 9th February 2024 at 10:38. Reason: Added one more point
atin001 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 11:59   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepega View Post
I'd go for the base model if it offers the same range as the top model, if I recall correctly, the motor and battery are identical.
The battery in all MG ZS EV models is the same 50 KW LFP battery. The range it gives is between 300-350 kms. Most members are easily getting 350 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encyclopedic View Post
As of today there are no major EV offerings in MUV segment. There is only 1 offering BYD E6 which costs 31 lakhs on road in Delhi compared to 33.8 lakh for Invicto. BYD e6 has the BYD blade battery which gives easy 500 km range.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 13:08   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krv09 View Post
Though Hybrids make a lot of sense for Indian setup, we need to consider some key aspects

Newer fuels - As the emission norms change, the fuel quality changes with more additives which reduce the mileage of most older cars.

Goverment’s aggresive push towards solar energy - most of the people who set up solar will surely think of buying an EV if they are in need of a car instead of buying an ICE car

Complexity of hybrid drivetrains - though they may have benefits of both ICE and EVs, they also carry the disadvantages of both equally, such as high maintenance, battery degradation, transmission failures.

The cost of a Hybrid is not less than a Battery EV.
The maintenance is more than both EV and ICE.

So as a consumer, buying a hybrid needs more investment, more service cost, and more running cost between ICE and EV.

The only advantage over BEV is no range anxiety. Again, as an EV owner, it is something you can easily get over in a matter of a year of driving an EV.

The one reason why someone must buy a Hybrid would be if they cannot get a charging port in the parking.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 13:11   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krv09 View Post

In the days of Reva, which was a tiny car this was probably practical but now, if you are going to charge an EV with 50-80KW battery - overnight - I wonder how big the panels battery and related circuit needs to be, let alone how expensive.

Anyone who can do this math, we`ll be very thankful as it can set the correct expectations.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks