Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th February 2024, 10:49   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCool View Post
I think the EMI will be around 20K per month and all inclusive cost per year will be double the cost of my current i10 running and maintenance cost. However i might get a better experience. Is it worth making the move to EV?
You may be able to get tax exemption on the EMI. I am not sure about the limit etc but you may be able to save 6-7 k on the 20K EMI.

Last edited by Guna : 11th February 2024 at 10:58.
Guna is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th February 2024, 12:56   #92
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Julien View Post
Seems frunk is not included even on the top variant.

I heard from a friend that dealer has told it is an additional accessory, and would cost rs.5000.
There'll soon be an aftermarket version for Rs 1.5-2k soon enough hopefully
Old 11th February 2024, 16:00   #93
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRT_Dwarka View Post
I own a Tiago EV, but AFAIK Punch EV has a better suspension than Tiago EV. 1L running cost in the past year would in all likelihood mean about 10,000 km of running in Bangalore Traffic (however your average seems to be only 4500 km), Bangalore roads would also explain the wear and tear on the suspension of your i10, go for the EV, your back and legs will thank you for it, also your mind will be way more relaxed.
What I meant by running cost means, it includes petrol+insurance+service cost. Yes my driving is 4500Km average per year. Also my current i10 is an automatic.
Old 12th February 2024, 11:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Looking to replace our 13 year old Swift Zdi with a Punch ev. I've asked for a TD and if I like the car, I'll go ahead with the purchase. Swift is used only within the city and has probably seen the highway only 4 times in as many years, so the city:highway split is 95:5.
I have a diesel automatic for all long+fast highway journeys.

However, considering the near zero NVH and instant acceleration I'm tempted to take the Punch on say 250-300 kms round trips. I picked up a Ather a year or so ago and though the initial plan was to ride only within a 10kms radius, I started using it for 30-35 kms as I don't feel tired even after riding such distances within the city thanks to the zero vibrations and instant pick-up in warp mode making overtaking a breeze. I don't use my EV like most others do, I enjoy the instant acceleration every single time its safe to do so and I'll probably use the 4W EV similarly.

I have a couple of questions related to EVs in general, would be happy if some of the EV owners on the forum can answer them:
  • What kind of range can one expect with a Punch EV on the highway if on a full load and driven like an ICE car? I'm talking 4 passengers+ luggage and speeds between 90-110km/h with AC on at all times. Can I get 200 kms before I hit 10% battery ? Or will it be more like 170-180 kms.
  • I used the plugshare website to check charger availability on highway journeys I take frequently and barring one route all others have very good availability. However what efficiency can one expect if driving uphill ? I visit Tirumala at least thrice a year so wondering if I'll be able to go up the hill if I stop for a charge near Chittoor.
  • Considering Tata EVs don't really support 50kw or upwards DC charging, will I need to spend an hr+ at charging stations to get the car from say 10% to atleast 80 ?
  • In the initial days I used to read reports of Nexons not charging at times at some stations. Does this still happen or has the issue been sorted.
  • The HV critical alert on the Tata EVs is something that worries me but looks like this has been fixed with wiring/battery replacements. I'm not really in a hurry to replace the Swift as it runs fine, however considering the removal of road tax waivers and Fame 2 subsidy in the next few months and also there isn't going to be a Maruti/Hyundai or Kia EV in the Punch segment atleast for the next 2-3 years should I get the punch right away or wait and watch hoping the Govt extends the benefits for a year or so.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:27   #95
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Answering just one point. Everything related to range is a direct relationship with whkm

Divide the total battery capacity 35kw = 35000w with the average whkm and that is your range

Keep it 100 you get 350km
Keep it 200 and you get 175km.

What speeds give you what whkm is related to the car and its dynamics, elevation and the average speeds maintained. All you need is one highway test run to get your numbers and you can extrapolate them to your requirements
mally2 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 13:44   #96
BHPian

1. Range of Punch EV: with a 35KW battery expect it to be 250-270km on the highway. I own a Nexon Max with a 40kw battery and get 300km on h/w.

2. Uphill takes around 10-20kwh additional charge. So on my Nexon, I get a 20km lower range when taking an uphill route like Charmadi Ghats.

going downhill, the same is reversed with regen.

3. It takes an hour + 15 min to get 10-80 with DC charging. But I normally break the charging sessions into breakfast (30min) + lunch (45min). This helps me reduce the time wasted for charging and cover almost 450km in a day.

4. Charging stations have issues. Especially new chargers (or new setups) can have teething issues. Look at Plugshare check-ins and plan to charge at 1st charger on your route. This way chargers that come later can be backup options.

5. HV critical alert is not a common case. I got it twice at very low SOC( <5%) (which went off with the restart of the car).

Hope this data helps
sharathkamath04 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:28   #97
Senior - BHPian

Just did a 10km long TD and I have to say I'm very very impressed with the car! Just the right size for city usage through narrow roads, loaded with all the features you'd want and more, good ICE and the refined EV experience+ sitting higher-up and excellent absorbent suspension made city driving an absolute breeze.
I handed over the cheque but asked the SA to hold off until Friday as I need a longer TD to finalize but I don't see myself changing my mind unless something drastic happens on the highway/ring road run.

A few pointers/observations:
  • Battery usage- Used up 5% battery to do 9 kms with 4 adults and AC on all the time. The drive involved going up flyovers and not really using regen when going down and speeds of upto 60-70 km/hr. Extrapolated that translates to around 180kms within city but remember I was driving in a brisk manner. I switched between city and sport mode with regen at 1, city+regen 1 felt the best combo for moderate traffic within city. Sport mode is a bit too fast for the city,IMHO.
  • Suspension is very well tuned. I drove through my usual home-office route and the regular potholes which my Swift would crash into were handled with aplomb, ofcourse its an unfair comparison but the Swift was never this good. Punch dampening is a step above my Jetta wherein I don't have to slow down too much for potholes.*
  • Rear seat-

The floor did feel slightly raised but again since I'm only 5'7" and the tallest in the family the under thigh support was very good and felt adequate, two issues I noticed are:

-The floor is further raised where your feet tend to naturally rest when you sit and this may be an issue on longer drives. Will report after the longer TD.

-When going over expansion joints of flyovers (those familiar with the route when driving from Vijayanagar/Hosahalli Metro to ISKCON will recollect the second flyover after the underpass has a lot of these joints and you need to slow down) or when coming down the ramps to join the road, the suspension sent a sharp jolt into the cabin felt prominently at the rear even at similar speeds as I'd do in my Swift/Jetta. I'm wondering if this is due to the compact size+high GC combo or simply over inflated tyres. The SA said its pretty normal, perhaps it is so as this is my first 'compact' SUV experience.

• Is it only me or does the raised floor create an awkward angle between your foot and the pedals ? I felt I have less gap between pedal and the floor compared to our other cars.

Most of the other points have been covered in details so won't be going over them.

I would've bought the Adventure LR variant as its a relatively good VFM buy at 14L OTR but 2 misses- folding ORVM and the absence of rear wiper+defogger along with that all digital display and considering I may use this car for 8-10 years are pushing me towards the Empowered variant. I couldn't care any less for the other features I get but these features are already in my Swift and I don't want it missing in my new car. I've been given a 6-8 week waiting period but perhaps they may get the car ready much earlier or atleast that's the hope.
I do feel the car is slightly overpriced and perhaps a lakh or so lesser would've absolutely made this an ideal buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathkamath04 View Post
1. Range of Punch EV: with a 35KW battery expect it to be 250-270km on the highway. I own a Nexon Max with a 40kw battery and get 300km on h/w.
Is this with 2 adults+kids? Also what speeds do you maintain typically?

Quote:
2. Uphill takes around 10-20kwh additional charge. So on my Nexon, I get a 20km lower range when taking an uphill route like Charmadi Ghats.

going downhill, the same is reversed with regen.
So a Bangalore to Kukke/Dharmasthala is doable with 1 long stop near Hassan/Sakleshpura ? I took the Shiradi route recently and wished I had a higher GC car.

Quote:
Hope this data helps
Thanks for all the inputs. I checked the plugshare website while it displayed the chargers onroute I wasn't able to see the availability and if its in service like Ather app displays. Perhaps the app versions will have this functionality. Also the SA told me you can block a charger upto one hour in advance but I don't recollect reading anything like that on the forum, is this possible and if you've tried it could you please point me to the app.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 12th February 2024 at 22:31.
shashank.nk is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 22:51   #98
BHPian

Is this with 2 adults+kids? Also what speeds do you maintain typically?

Yes, I have driven with 2 adults and 4 adults and full boot. Range may change by ~10km based on load. Speeds I normally drive it like my old petrol car, mostly cruising at 80-100 speed. You can get much better range if u drive below 80.

So a Bangalore to Kukke/Dharmasthala is doable with 1 long stop near Hassan/Sakleshpura ?

Totally. I prefer to charge during breakfast at Yediyur and then if needed top up at Shantigram. After a few trips I can do it with a breakfast charge (30min adds a good 40%). Kukke also has a fast charger by Zeon nearby. So you can charge there and carry on.

Thanks for all the inputs. I checked the plugshare website while it displayed the chargers onroute I wasn't able to see the availability and if its in service like Ather app displays. Perhaps the app versions will have this functionality. Also the SA told me you can block a charger upto one hour in advance but I don't recollect reading anything like that on the forum, is this possible and if you've tried it could you please point me to the app.

Plugshare is only for locating chargers. You will need an individual app to know the status of the charger. (at least 7-10 new apps after EV ownership).

Only a few CPOs allow booking, but mostly it is not required. If you plan well, most routes have more than 1 charger.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 20th March 2024 at 10:08. Reason: Spacing and formatting
sharathkamath04 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 00:15   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I handed over the cheque but asked the SA to hold off until Friday as I need a longer TD to finalize but I don't see myself changing my mind unless something drastic happens on the highway/ring road run.
--------
I've been given a 6-8 week waiting period but perhaps they may get the car ready much earlier or atleast that's the hope..
I also had a test drive of top variant today, and decided to proceed with booking. This is going to be my first car purchase, so I am slightly confused about by cheque you have mentioned above. Is it like pre-booking/ booking and not the final payment?

Since you have mentioned that there is a waiting period, I hope you will be paying once PDI is completed.
King_Julien is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 09:32   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Julien View Post
I also had a test drive of top variant today, and decided to proceed with booking. This is going to be my first car purchase, so I am slightly confused about by cheque you have mentioned above. Is it like pre-booking/ booking and not the final payment?
Congratulations 👏
Perhaps i should have been clear in the original post. I handed over a cheque for the booking amount dated 17/2/2024 so the SA cannot present it to the bank any earlier. I plan to do a longer TD tomorrow or day after and will then finalize.The full amount will be paid only after the PDI as you rightly guessed.
shashank.nk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 17:27   #101

Good news for anyone planning to buy, if this trend continues, its not far when ICE replaces 2nd car.

TATA EV prices dropped by 1.2 Lakhs owning to cheaper battery price.

Source:
EnchantedPanda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 10:47   #102
BHPian

Considering the drop in EV prices, will it be prudent to wait for a few months before buying the Punch EV?
Old 14th February 2024, 11:11   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
Considering the drop in EV prices, will it be prudent to wait for a few months before buying the Punch EV?
If there is no urgency to buy the car, I would recommend waiting to see some initial feedback from Punch EV owners. There are too many price changes happening in EV vehicles currently. Also if you wait for a few months, majority of the issues in the initial batch of cars would be known and hopefully will be fixed by TATA. I also heard about the upcoming launch of TATA Curvv EV – of course this is from a different segment than Punch EV but I would prefer to wait for its prices.
Saanil is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 15:07   #104
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari1976 View Post
I don't think they will price-drop again so soon. That will be harakiri. People will stop walking into dealership and will keep waiting for further drops. They do price-drop in one go. Not in instalments. Maybe around Diwali under the festival garb.
pgsagar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2024, 13:32   #105
BHPian

The C-Type USB charging port on top end of Punch Ev is 15W. But the older , lower priced Tiago EV has a 45W C-Type charger.

Any idea why punch gets only a 15W C-Type ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks