Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 12:48   #76
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
What needs to be understood is that ZS EV is not a competitor to Punch EV in any way. It’s between Nexon and ZS. And the only real advantage of the ZS over the new Nexon is the bigger battery pack and 50kw fast charging. Rest, everything is either about par or a little better on Nexon.

Probably a long shot. But what I meant is that ZS Ev competes with Nexon which gets a price cut and then Nexon ev's over all price reduces which in turn leads to a price cut for punch? Also in sub 10 lac segment tiago ev also gets a price cut.

Where does that leave the punch?
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 13:09   #77
BHPian

I booked a punch LR yesterday after a pretty pleasant test drive. Since I have had a few minor accidents with my Tucson in the crazy city traffic recently, I opted for Punch EV owing to its compact dimensions and loads of features for stress free city usage to replace Tucson. But after reading through all the major niggles with Nexon, I am having serious thoughts to cancel my booking. Unfortunately I don’t see a viable hot hatch that I could opt for instead of Punch EV with a tight turning radius (less than 5m). Looks like my search is not going to end anytime soon as the other EVs (Kona, xuv400 and ZS) are having a larger footprint. My family rejected the Comet based on its looks. Mini SE is pretty expensive and I am sure it would induce stress if driven on bad roads amidst unruly traffic.

Last edited by ece2k2 : 3rd February 2024 at 13:10.
ece2k2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 14:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Probably a long shot. But what I meant is that ZS Ev competes with Nexon which gets a price cut and then Nexon ev's over all price reduces which in turn leads to a price cut for punch? Also in sub 10 lac segment tiago ev also gets a price cut.

Where does that leave the punch?
People are forgetting one big thing when using price as the only delta. Punch and even the Nexon are much more compact cars with tighter turning radius that makes it better suited for choke a block traffic. MG in that sense is a bigger car with a much bigger turning circle and that brings its own limitations if used in the city. If you live in a city with free flowing traffic where size is not a concern then MG might be better. In all other aspects the Nexon or the punch is better relatively as the range difference can only be 50 to 75 kms at MAX between MG and Nexon/ punch.

My brother sold the s cross for its size and moved to the new brezza for its relatively
compact size. After the Tiago ev has come, brezza is now cumbersome in traffic and it hardly ever moves from the garage. Only reason he is keeping it is because the car is in his wife's name and since she is a bank employee the perks of a company car.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 17:26   #79
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
Unfortunately I don’t see a viable hot hatch that I could opt for instead of Punch EV with a tight turning radius (less than 5m).
I suggest you look at Tiago EV, too. New kid Punch has stolen its thunder but it has its own charm. It has every needed feature like ACC, power-fold/adjust ORVMs, rear washer wiper, cruise control, projector headlights (with incandescent bulbs though), auto wiper, headlights etc. Don't go by lower power figures of Tiago EV. That thing, too, has crazy acceleration in sports mode. Upfront price will be less and it's been around for long so the current one must have had its bugs ironed out.
pgsagar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 08:42   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
People are forgetting one big thing when using price as the only delta. Punch and even the Nexon are much more compact cars with tighter turning radius that makes it better suited for choke a block traffic. MG in that sense is a bigger car with a much bigger turning circle and that brings its own limitations if used in the city. If you live in a city with free flowing traffic where size is not a concern then MG might be better. In all other aspects the Nexon or the punch is better relatively as the range difference can only be 50 to 75 kms at MAX between MG and Nexon/ punch.
Priorities are different for everyone. I am happy that there's competition finally. I hope that there is cascading effect on TM EV price and I get a punch or entry level nexon ev at a better price that saves money in the long run too.

The main question is how long will TM put the price cut off considering a CKD, Bigger Sized, Better Battery, Feature Loded Car can be bought for less. After all evs are mainly about range.

I am not bothered about MG's prospects in India as JSW has I guess bought a stake in it which also has big pockets.
psbali is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 17:18   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Priorities are different for everyone. I am happy that there's competition finally. I hope that there is cascading effect on TM EV price and I get a punch or entry level nexon ev at a better price that saves money in the long run too.

The main question is how long will TM put the price cut off considering a CKD, Bigger Sized, Better Battery, Feature Loded Car can be bought for less. After all evs are mainly about range.

I am not bothered about MG's prospects in India as JSW has I guess bought a stake in it which also has big pockets.
Yes. Agree . My point was , now that I think of it, it is a pre- emtive strike by MG as the tata curvv will be launched soon and will have the bigger 50keh battery pack and will be neck and neck in terms of range and performance. Brand new Curvv or 5 year old zs ev at the same price - the market will decide. I don't think punch will be having discounts soon. Maybe year end they will drop a lakh off the price tag as some green bonus or something ( just like they did with the Tiago)
Old 5th February 2024, 00:57   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict007 View Post
As of now we're booking the Adventure LR variant, but the SA still said that it will not come with a reverse camera and said the brochure information is wrong. But either way, it doesn't really make a big difference to us.
Here's another Adventure LR for you.
v01d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 16:06   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
I don't think punch will be having discounts soon.
I think the Nexon facelift saw discounts up to 35K after a month or two post launch. It might have been discounts from dealer or incentives like exchange/loyalty/corporate bonus. I think the discounts might just be a function of battery prices - if they continue to fall, I think Tata might pass some of it as discounts.
Old 6th February 2024, 10:31   #84

Hello,
Can someone clarify the benefits of the LR ACFC variants over the general LR variant?

Des ACFC support a higher KV or just quicker charging over the normal LR variant?
Old 6th February 2024, 11:47   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_dweller View Post
Hello,
Can someone clarify the benefits of the LR ACFC variants over the general LR variant?

Des ACFC support a higher KV or just quicker charging over the normal LR variant?
This is mentioned in the brochure:
Tata Punch.ev Review-punch_charging_time_brochure.jpg

You might have to upgrade your home's wiring to support AC fast charger since it draws more power. But for anyone who needs to top-up the car at any time a faster charger make sense. If you are sure you would only need overnight charging, the portable charger (3.3kW that plugs into a 15A socket) might be just fine. The DC charging speeds are the same for both. You can also get the fast charger later if you want (not sure about insurance/financing part of it if you get it bundled - I know the premium is more for it, but the sales advisor didn't know if the insurance company would cover the charger).

Last edited by thomahawk : 6th February 2024 at 11:51.
thomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 14:45   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post

They mentioned "for some models" so I guess the lower end models, it would be dealer option. Whereas top end models it will come standard.
Seems frunk is not included even on the top variant.

I heard from a friend that dealer has told it is an additional accessory, and would cost rs.5000.
King_Julien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 18:14   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Julien View Post
Seems frunk is not included even on the top variant.

I heard from a friend that dealer has told it is an additional accessory, and would cost rs.5000.
Woah! that is a lot of money for a piece of plastic. Tata should have made it standard for this platform; It replaces the stock cover, which is then probably going to be junked? Not cool, Tata.
thomahawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2024, 12:51   #88
BHPian

Motor Inc first drive review is out and Karthikeya is very impressed!

The details of the changes made to the ICE Punch to turn it into an EV are really interesting.

Motard_Blr is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 10th February 2024, 22:06   #89
BHPian

Esteemed members. Need some advise. I am owning a Hyundai i10 which is 14 years old and used for 66K Km. It's a very well maintained vehicle with regular periodic servicing. However it's not smooth because of its age. My use is strictly within city. My running cost is less than Rs1L per year. In my last service, i was told that there are few mechanical weakness 'Front left side lower arm bush has cracks'.

I need suggestion, if i have to do an FC and use it for another 5 years or should i buy a Punch EV on EMI. I have necessary charging infrastructure in place. I think the EMI will be around 20K per month and all inclusive cost per year will be double the cost of my current i10 running and maintenance cost. However i might get a better experience. Is it worth making the move to EV?
Old 11th February 2024, 09:23   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCool View Post
Esteemed members. Need some advise. I am owning a Hyundai i10 which is 14 years old and used for 66K Km. It's a very well maintained vehicle with regular periodic servicing. However it's not smooth because of its age. My use is strictly within city. My running cost is less than Rs1L per year. In my last service, i was told that there are few mechanical weakness 'Front left side lower arm bush has cracks'.

I need suggestion, if i have to do an FC and use it for another 5 years or should i buy a Punch EV on EMI. I have necessary charging infrastructure in place. I think the EMI will be around 20K per month and all inclusive cost per year will be double the cost of my current i10 running and maintenance cost. However i might get a better experience. Is it worth making the move to EV?
I own a Tiago EV, but AFAIK Punch EV has a better suspension than Tiago EV. 1L running cost in the past year would in all likelihood mean about 10,000 km of running in Bangalore Traffic (however your average seems to be only 4500 km), Bangalore roads would also explain the wear and tear on the suspension of your i10, go for the EV, your back and legs will thank you for it, also your mind will be way more relaxed.

Last edited by SRT_Dwarka : 11th February 2024 at 09:26. Reason: Modifyng reply a little
SRT_Dwarka is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks