Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2024, 00:26   #556
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

I want to invest in an EV and new discounts are tempting. Is there anyone who feels good to own this car? I can live with panel gaps but I prefer my car to not have reliability concerns for 10 years. I think TATA will surely disappoint me with the later. Looking for some inputs here.

I am a huge fan of German cars for ICE but I feel Chinese cars will rule the EV world hence my heart is leaning towards the Indo-Chinese Windsor.
Old 25th September 2024, 00:56   #557
BHPian

I have a Punch EV and it has been a fantastic experience so far. It is the perfect and most premium Small car experience we can have right now. The nimble footprint makes it a breeze to drive in the city.

Advantages of Windsor over the Punch:

- Much more spacious car
- VFM
- Options of BAAS
- More assurances from MG

Advantages of Punch over Windsor:

- Smaller Footprint - easier to zip around
- Ride comfort and Handling
- Slight performance and range advantage
- 5 Star BNCAP rating for safety

I have been getting around 250-270 kms on a single charge consistently and haven't had a single niggle.
Flash777 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 06:42   #558

Almost exactly my experience Flash777 and abhatt, with my Punch.ev, done 9000 km, doing an average of 2000km per month.

Punch.ev is the perfect city car.
I also do one Hyd city trip a month (320km round trip from my place), do fast charging at an eatery on the way and back also, while I eat some 'tiffin' and a coffee( the FC lasts 45 minutes from 45 to 95). The fast charger is ChargeZone and works perfectly. Btw, there is also a Tata fast charger which is out of order for at least 4 months now. Nearby another eatery has Jio-BP Pulse fast charger which works and I have used, but rarely, as I don't prefer eating there.

My passengers have only had praise and no complaints. And I have had no complaints.

There was this one instance a month ago (my car, a Jan 2024 model, bought in May 2024, and has been with me about 4 months now) when my car was parked and 'engine' was on, the AC cooling went down, while fan was running, I then did what I would do with any other smart electronic device, switched off the car and waited for 15 seconds and turned it oon, and viola AC was cooling back to normal. Not faced it again.

Some important features I enjoy daily:
  • Both front ventilated seats, my back and thighs tend to get sweaty and I use the feature a lot
  • Music is too good(love music, though not an expert) but mostly keep it off as I love silent driving. The silence of the car is so beautiful. I do appreciate the low whine of the electric motor when I can hear it, when there's no traffic.
  • Regeneration paddles are really tuned well and one of the the best feature of driving experience of the Punch.ev, makes braking a smooth controllable affair, I use my brake pedal very minimally, anticipating the distance and letting the pressure off of the accelerator pedal. One particular lady passenger had severe cervical spondylitis and was wearing a neck collar to prevent sudden movements of her neck. She was really happy with the braking because in most of her other drives, braking would cause her neck to be pushed forward and initiate pain in her neck, whereas in this the (Regen) Braking was smooth and graded, and there were no sharp movements of her neck. I actually realised it when I drove with the same lady passenger in my 2020 model KIA carnival, and she felt pain during braking while seated in front passenger seat in that car.
  • Cruise control, cc, I usually set at 75(for best mileage), on highways, and if I press the brake it deactivates cc. One feature I love is, say after slight braking my speed has slowed to 60km/hr I just press once the cc button on the steering wheel and it smoothly accelerates by itself to the set speed, 75km/hr . Deactivating cc can also be done by presssing this button twice in quick succession.
  • Autohold is a godsend feature for traffic lightstops. Long press the brake, say on arriving at a traffic light, it holds well while still staying in D mode, and once the ltraffic is a GO, a gentle press on the accelerator releases the auto hold ... super smooth.

Minor dislikes: esp the Audio alarms!
  • My most disliked feature used to be the loud audio alarm for vacant rear passenger seats, with all 3 seat belts unbuckled. Solved it by purchasing 3 dummies to put in the seat belt buckle slot!
  • Audio alarm for drive mode change is also unwelcome if passengers are there. It sometimes invites needless questions from the passengers!.
  • I also purchased a 4th dummy to put in my drivers seat belt buckle, for situations where I need to get out and in, in quick succession, for eg when you arrive home and need to open the gate and get in again to park the car. With the driver seat belt unbuckled, the car will refuse to move an inch.
  • (All four dummies cost me about Rs.500)

Last edited by KarthikK : 25th September 2024 at 06:59. Reason: Minor spacing and formatting edit
CarCar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 21:12   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCar;5848034[*
My most disliked feature used to be the loud audio alarm for vacant rear passenger seats, with all 3 seat belts unbuckled. Solved it by purchasing 3 dummies to put in the seat belt buckle slot!
Instead of adding dummies on the rear seat buckle, there are 2 couplers behind the rear seat. It can be decoupled to remove the warnings. That is a cheaper option. ( I had already bought dummies before I knew it.)
King_Julien is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th September 2024, 22:33   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joybhowmik View Post
Two days ago, the sales person calls and says a frunk can be made available for Rs 3500 all inclusive - but he won't be able to generate a bill. Imagine.
This is Tata Motors - saying they won't give a bill. Why so? Some bull about not having a part number for the frunk in their "system". And yet they are able to source it no problem.
May be the frunk is assigned to some emp+S user who has not claimed it yet. May be the sales person is selling it in black
King_Julien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2024, 19:25   #561
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Julien View Post
May be the frunk is assigned to some emp+S user who has not claimed it yet. May be the sales person is selling it in black
Spot on. And the chain goes all the way up, as few days later ,
when I spoke with the Dealer's CRM+GM both said - we will give you a cash receipt but not a bill.
In the meantime the emp+S user will wait haplessly for the spare.
joybhowmik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2024, 10:51   #562
BHPian

What is the spanner indication, anyone?
Tata Punch.ev Review-spanner.jpeg
Quaser is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2024, 16:25   #563
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
The spanner sign indicates a general fault or that the car needs servicing. The spanner symbol is usually a service light, indicating that it's time to book the car in for its annual service.
It's Magic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2024, 18:46   #564
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
It is the service light indicating that the car needs service.
ferrarirules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th October 2024, 20:17   #565
BHPian

Fifth month update

Car has done 17.2k kms till now, ran a bit less as went abroad and car was parked at the airport for 12 days. Got the 3rd service done at 15k kms , got it serviced at my home town only. This was great convenience as didn't have to waste a day for the service. The service was pretty good, they fixed the driver door rattle and also adjusted the drive mounts for the slight front wobble (this didn't change behavior by much). They did wheel balancing and alignment but didn't do tire rotation as they said tpms would show wrong readings if positions are changed. Was charged 1750 rupees for it. Was a pretty good experience.

-Had to go abroad on a family vacation, drove down to Bangalore airport in the punch about 240 kns away, charged it to 80% at Devanhalli Shell Bunk went and parked in airport. Was apprehensive about landing back to a dead car and hence disconnected the 12v battery even though service guys said it would start without an issue. Came back and it started right back after 12 days and charge was at 75%. Not bad at all. Fast charged it to 100% at Shell and drove back to home town. Punch can take in two full size strollers in boot no issues.
- Realized that connected car features were not working after this in a day or two. Tried everything from factory reset to battery disconnect but it didn't work. Finally a kind soul on telegram asked to disconnect and reconnect the cable to the telematics box below the driver seat on Telegram and voilą it started working in a few minutes. Drove almost a week without telematics and it was a pain.

- the EV love affair continues.....
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot_20241008_194801_tata-motors-zconnect.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot_20241008_195540_drive.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20241008_095931.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20241008_095923.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20241008_095918.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2024, 15:56   #566

Spare wheel for under 3k:

Asked around for a 16" Rim at scrap mechants' locality in Mysore. Luckily found an almost unused Rim for ₹1200. Went to another area where they sell reused tyres. Found 2 Bridgestone tyres with the exact 195/60 R16 profile. Both had similar tread wear. But one had puncture patches from the inside which the guy was willing to sell for low price. Didn't want to take more risk, so chose the other one which had no puncture patches. Paid ₹1750 including fitment to the rim. The price depends a lot on your bargaining with these dealers. The wheel sits perfectly in the boot after removing the plastic mould. The tools are neatly tucked inside the wheel in a bubble wrap.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_20241011_073048771_hdr.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-img_20241013_103113641_hdr.jpg  

KuZeal is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks