Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2024, 16:53   #391
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

^^Thanks, the PCD for fitting it must be matched. Not sure if PCD specs are available for car wheels & how to ensure they are correct when ordering a spare wheel rim.
Old 12th June 2024, 18:48   #392
BHPian

I know a person that has already got the spare wheel for punch ev.

The part number for the steel rim he bought is 543840100161 (Steel Rim 6.0J X 16).
It is Nexon R16 OEM steel rim. The MRP on the box is rs.2550.

He also bought a used tyre from tyre shop. His total cost for spare wheel + tyre is rs.2450.

The plastic mold has to be removed to fix the wheel. All the tools can be accomodated within the wheel except for the charger. The charger will occupy some space in the trunk.
King_Julien is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 22:26   #393
BHPian

Tata Punch EV Adventure LR variant review:

As the Odo of my Punch EV Adventure LR variant finally hits 1000 kms, and after covering that distance in perhaps half the time I used to drive when I had my old WagonR, one thing I can safely say is that this is a car that asks you to drive it more. This will be a bit of a long review that will also cover the other cars I considered and how I finally landed on the Punch EV, and specifically the Adventure LR variant.

It all started in November 2023, on the way back from my college, which is on Mysore Road, in my trusty 2019 WagonR MT. I got stuck in a traffic jam that really made my left leg groan. But that was fine, nothing I couldn't live with, given my love for the connected feeling of manuals. However, I saw that the source of a jam, was a WagonR that had been hit from behind by a Nexon. Now I don't know whose fault it entirely was, but the WagonR was completely mangled in the back while the Nexon looked like it had just been in a minor accident, and that incident shook me a little. Plus the WagonR's terrible safety record and its plummeting mileage( a paltry 10 kmpl) convinced us enough to hunt for new cars. And the TDs promptly started. Our main focus was on safety, and then mileage, since we have only cars at home and this would be our daily driver, so good mileage and being cheap to run was a must. Also given that this would be a city car, an automatic would be preferred, but we would do a test drive of the manuals, to check if the clutch was light enough to manage in the city. These are the cars we test drove, and in order.

Toyota Glanza:
Having recently bought an Innova HyCross, the Glanza seemed like a nice car, and our Toyota SA, the same nice man who'd sold us the HyCross was kind enough to bring it to our home for a TD. But unfortunately I disliked the car, and so did my mother. We felt it had pretty terrible visibility, and it just seemed so cumbersome to drive in traffic. Plus it was 11.5 lakhs on road for the MT top end, which honestly was the only option since everything else didn't even have some basic features, and the automatic was an AMT so it just seemed like a bad proposition. Plus, it is a rebadged Baleno, which again, isn't known for its safety. So it was dropped.

Maruti Suzuki Fronx:
I liked how the Fronx looked, and we did a TD of both the 1.2 NA + MT version, as well as the top end turbo petrol AT. The NA + MT felt just as cumbersome to drive as the Glanza and was dropped. The top end turbo petrol AT, was a nice car, I liked the pickup, it was a smooth and proper automatic, not a head nodding AMT. But it was north of 15 lakhs on road, which I felt was an absolutely absurd amount for the car. Plus, it was basically a raised Baleno and it did not strike me as particularly safe. On top of that, I knew I wouldn't get great mileage from the car, so had to drop it.

Tata Punch Petrol:
Now this was a good car. I loved the build and how strong the car felt, I loved how the car looked, it was nimble and it had a wonderful suspension that just blew whatever Maruti offered out of the water. It was a breeze to maneuver in traffic and seemed great. But unfortunately, this also was offered with only an AMT for an automatic option, plus I found the NVH levels way worse than those of the Baleno family. The engine was also dull and unenthusiastic, and I felt my WagonR had a way peppier and rev-friendly engine than this. A close friend of mine who owns the Punch Petrol AMT also shared that he gets an appallingly low 8 kmpl in the route we take for our college. So this also was dropped.

Tata Punch EV:
Overall, I was extremely disappointed in the car scene and briefly suspended our lookout for a new car. But around January, the Punch EV was launched, and my interest was piqued. So I went for a TD at the end of January, and man, it was love at first ride. The driving dynamics, the power on tap, the NVH, the visibility, it was all just fantastic. I had more or less made up my mind but my mom had to drive it once, and the SA brought it home, where we did another TD and then booked the vehicle.

I was all for going ahead with our Punch booking and for our needs, I'd decided that the Adventure LR variant would be perfect for us. Then the negativity started, all our relatives, a lot of friends spooked off my parents with fears that an electric car would be difficult to charge, what if we got stranded somewhere, what if the car caught on fire, what if it short circuited while in the rain, and the fact that it was a minimum of 2 lakhs more expensive than any Petrol option we were looking at. All of which made my parents take a pause and evaluate other cars.

Hyundai Exter:
We tested out the Exter AMT, as my parents insisted on an automatic to combat the horrendous Bangalore traffic, and the SA from Blue Hyundai was kind enough to arrange for a TD the same day. It was a decent car, I liked the interiors, it was supremely spacious, had a good list of features and the AMT was actually far smoother than I expected it would be and the paddles were a pleasant surprise. But the engine whined so much in uphill roads, and it just felt so extremely underpowered with terrible NVH. Maybe I felt like this because I'd already fallen in love with the Punch EV's instant torque and class leading NVH. But I also disliked the suspension setup of the Exter and it just didn't seem to have the same sturdiness that the Punch had. Plus the SA's veiled threat that taking insurance from outside could lead to delays convinced us to drop this car as well.

Realising that no car cheaper than the Punch EV was going to be as good, in terms of power, in terms of handling, in terms of NVH, in terms of ease of use, we briefly considered going half a segment above and checking out the ICE versions of Nexon, Venue and Brezza, but we all realised, what we wanted was a daily driver which had to be an automatic, had to be very safe, and also had to be very fuel efficient, while not being a diesel, since a lot of our runs are less than 10 mins. Unfortunately, that's not a combination that is available in any segment as all petrol automatics have bad FE and the ones that have decent FE are diesels.

Plus I realised, going for the Punch Petrol AMT variant with all the features that I was getting in the Adventure LR variant, plus a few more like automatic headlamps, I'd have to go for the top end version which would cost 11.5 on road in Bengaluru. Even assuming that I would get 10 kmpl from the Petrol AMT in heavy traffic, which is where the car would run the most, and assuming that I'd get 220 kms of range on the EV, for my running, I'd be spending around 6000 rupees just on fuel for the Punch, while I'd be spending 600 on the Punch EV, every month. The EMI for the Punch EV was going to be 7000 more, so at the end of the day, considering fuel, I'd only be paying 1500 rupees more per month for the EV. Plus half the servicing costs, and once the loan tenure was over, we'd save even more money.

This was far more than just acceptable as we were getting a superior package in all ways, and whatever extra I'd pay each month, I'd recover it all within 6 months of the loan tenure getting over. The resale was also not a great concern to me, as we typically keep our cars for 5-6 years, except for our Innovas, which we keep for at least 10 years. So the battery would still be in warranty by then, maybe the resale is a bit lesser, but I don't mind taking a small hit in depreciation for more than half a decade of unmatched comfort. Plus even if we kept the car for more than 8 years, these are LFP batteries, their minimum life
is 1000 cycles, and if maintained properly, goes all the way to 3000 cycles, so even in the worst case, the battery would be good for 2 lakh kms, and honestly, if you're somebody who is selling a vehicle with 2 lakh kms on the Odo, unless it's a Toyota, you can't really command a big price.

Would there be better EVs in 5-7 years? Absolutely. But given that inflation is a thing, they would also all be more expensive. EV adoption would only go up by then, and just as a lot of new drivers these days buy an older used petrol or diesel, there may be a lot of new young drivers who may want to drive an EV and prefer going the used car route. I know it's not exactly an apple-to-apple comparison, given that ICEs are already a mature technology while EVs are plenty to evolve, but the Indian used car market is also very much of a seller's market still, given that's there's so much demand. So all these data points pointed towards the best decision being the Punch EV. It was a victory for not just the heart, but also the mind.

After this, it was just coordinating with the SA for delivery and we took loan from SBI and also got a good exchange bonus of 20000 for our WagonR, along with a good valuation for the car. The loan was sanctioned in one day and it seemed everything would be perfect, so perfect in fact that we even agreed to give the WagonR up before taking delivery of the Punch, which was the stupidest decision I've taken, and then, it all started to unravel a little.

The invoice which was supposed to come the same day as the loan was disbursed, came after two days, after a dozen follow-ups. The PDI which was supposed to happen on Monday, that was the true test of patience. The SA reassured that he would arrange for me to do the PDI on Monday morning, then it changed to evening, then Tuesday morning, then evening, and it went on like that till Thursday. It was extremely frustrating and when I talked to his manager, he spoke to me as if he was doing me a favour by allowing us to do PDI, very very rude man. Finally, I put my foot down and told him I will come to the stockyard on Thursday, and by the time I got there, everything was setup. But the PDI was smooth, and the SA also let me drive the car a little, and I could check the regen as well as the drive modes. Then we took delivery a few days later on an auspicious date, and that went without any hiccups, and there was a small cake cutting and it was a good experience.

I then learnt that the SA himself had been frustrated by the stockyard guys who kept on missing deadlines he gave them, and he was just trying to be nice and arrange the PDI for us at the showroom so that we didn't need to take the trouble to come to the stockyard, also never lost his temper with us once even when we got very frustrated with them missing deadlines. Overall, it was not a bad experience, I could do a very thorough PDI, and also the delivery process was smooth. I also don't blame him entirely for the PDI thing, which could have been avoided if I had just assured him I'd do it at the stockyard.

What I feel is that while the SAs of Tata dealers may not have as much knowledge or be as dynamic as say those from Hyundai or Maruti, who know their car's features really well, after interacting with quite a bit of the sales staff at Key Motors, I found that most of them were honest, young people who are trying to do their best. But their management is arrogant and their stockyard staff are still stuck in the same lethargic days as when they used to sell 10k cars a month. While I wouldn't recommend anyone to go here with full confidence, I would say that it is manageable provided you keep your expectations a bit low and can deal with a few delays.

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240418_163038.jpg

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240418_163056.jpg

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240418_163111.jpg

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240418_163103.jpg

These were the pictures taken during PDI.
TorqueAddict007 is online now   (13) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 22:33   #394
BHPian

Driving Experience and Handling:

Getting to the part about how the car has been, I can say it's an ideal city car, fits in just about every road you can think of in the maze of roads that is Bengaluru, has a nifty auto hold that is a real boon when you get trapped in Bengaluru's horrendous stop and go traffic. Has enough juice to overtake just about anything you see on the road, but also has the best NVH of any car I've driven, at least at speeds up to 80. The smoothness and refinement of power delivery is out of this world, and the suspension and chassis deserve an award. There's a little bit of body roll, but it is well contained. However this is no sedan that can hug the inside line of twisty roads without losing any speed.

I am not exaggerating when I say it, but my word, this car's chassis and suspension takes just about anything you throw at it. Combine that with the amazing power on tap, in just good old city mode, and you won't even realise the speedo climb. The suspension is not the most plush at low speeds, and you'll feel horrendously bad roads a bit, but it's not bone jarringly stiff and it soaks up any undulations and provides incredible stability at even medium speeds. Steering is nice and light with a very good return to centre action.

Regen:

Regen modes are great, and are very different, no regen feels like coasting in neutral, regen 1 feels like feathering the brakes, regen 2 feels like you'd be stepping on the brakes with some strength, and regen 3 is feels like you stomping on them, especially if you are above 35 kmph, it feels far too aggressive. Even though the odo shows regen 3 with the most range, what I have found is that running in regen 1, with a few mixes of regen 2 in heavy traffic, gives me better. That's because while regen 3 recovers more energy, it also covers less distance, which means you need to accelerate again and use energy again, making it a bit of a stop go affair. Regen only recovers some of the energy you use through acceleration, it is always better if you use less energy for acceleration itself.

If you are somebody who is aggressive with throttle input, then maybe regen 3 works, but for steady driving, regen 1 does wonders. In my second cycle, I could only do 160 kms for 100-20, driving in regen 3, because it forced me to engage in aggresive inputs to close gaps, and keep the throttle engaged for longer. While in my next cycle, I could do 180 kms doing regen 1 with mixes of regen 2, this cycle seems to be working even better, as I am now almost purely using regen 1 to cruise at constant speeds, slow down gradually by lifting off quite some distance before when I see a speed breaker ahead or have to slow down at an intersection, and then not use too much throttle since I have not lost too much speed.

The paddles are wonderful additions and when I do let loose sometimes at open roads and drive in a rather spirited way, I toggle quite a bit between different regen levels and I absolutely enjoy it. I also love toggling between 0,1 and 2 in downhills using the paddles and it gives me exact same feeling as engine braking. There's zero lag between changing the regen level using the paddles and it being reflected in the drive. What I absolutely love though is that even in regen 0 or regen 1, if you do apply the brake, you're also using some amount of regenerative braking. This is one thing I must give to the Tatas, their regen implementation is every enthusiast's dream.

Drive Modes:

City mode is good enough for quite literally everything. You can feather the throttle and cruise at a relaxed and calm pace, and there's far more power than you will ever need for a car of this size, although I will never say no to more horses, when you have to make a quick overtake on the fly or just want to be a bit silly on the open road, you will always feel like you are driving a car with abundant power even in city mode. Economy mode made no difference to the range for the 20 kms I drove in it, but it certainly made me swear to never use it again. It feels like driving a weak underpowered NA petrol mated to a sluggish torque converter. It is smooth but it is way too boring.

Sports mode though, turns the car into a jumpy monster. It is blindingly fast and makes my heart race a bit, but I honestly don't like it that much. The power delivery just feels a little too skewed at the bottom end, the start is extremely aggressive and you hit 60 in no time, but then it just starts to feel sluggish, maybe that's just the drag making itself known, I'm not sure, I'm no aerodynamicist or electric propulsion expert, but I honestly like the acceleration in the City mode more, because I feel I have the same punch at all ranges, it feels like it takes the same effort to go from 0 to 40, as it does from 40 to 80. And it's not as if City mode isn't explosive enough in its acceleration, unless you're drag racing, I think City mode is the only mode you need. Also, sports consumes energy at 1.5 times the rate City mode does, but that may also just be because I drove so aggressively in it. But I do give Tata a thumbs up for at least giving such a noticable variability in drive modes. With most other cars, it just feels like a PR gimmick or a sticker job. How usable these modes are, depends on the person and their style of driving. But the variability of the modes along with the variability in regen levels means that every type of driver will find their groove in this car and can customise it to their liking.

Range:

Coming to the elephant in the room - range, I have not done enough cycles to comment on this with any certainty, nor have I driven it across different seasons or made any long highway trips with it, so this figure may change when I come up with an update a year later. But till now, the maximum I have gotten is 270 kms, extrapolated figures from 100-20.

How you drive makes a difference, at my most aggressive, with a lot of launches, lot of rapid acceleration and deceleration, I got around 200 kms range, and where I was quite sedate and defensive, I got 240 kms, in the same weather conditions. Maybe this will change more as it goes but what I have found makes the maximum difference in range is how hot it is outside and what temperature you use for the AC inside.

During the heat wave of late April, early May, even at my most sedate I got only around 240 kms. Now, with temperatures having dropped significantly, for the past two charging cycles I have gotten around 270 kms of range, and that is without any significant hypermiling. I partake in quite spirited driving in emptier roads, and I enjoy having a lot of fun with this car. If I did try to hypermile, I'm pretty sure 290 or even 300 kms, is not impossible to reach.

Maybe I will see even more of a range improvement in the winters. I again want to mention that all the figures quoted are extrapolated figures, so the real figures may be more, may be less. I have also noticed that the car consumes more battery if there's a lot of parking and reversing involved. But overall, while I do try sometimes to eek out a little bit more range, I don't hypermile. I enjoy the car a little too much for that. Plus it doesn't make a significant difference, given how much electricity costs for me, at my best I've spent a rupee per km, and at worst, I've spent 1.3 rupees per km, it's just 30 paise more, which honestly isn't even a big deal, plus that's a lot more down to weather than to driving range. Whatever extra range I can eek out through hypermiling, which at max may be an additional 20-30 kms over what I am already getting, will be lost if I eat an extra masala puri, so I just drive as safety as possible, but also try to have some fun in emptier roads and enjoy those 121 ponies.

Interior and AC:

Interior quality is good, of course there's no soft touch materials anywhere, but I find the quality of plastics and materials used to be far better than the Marutis, and even better than what was found on the Exter. Plus the colour scheme is quite nice. Seats are quite comfortable, my Adventure LR variant comes with fabric seats and I am still on the lookout for good seat covers plus 7D mats.

There's a lot of utility with plenty of space for mobile phones as well. What I really like is that there's a lot of space for water bottles, each door at front can hold a one litre plus another half litre water bottle. One touch down only for the driver seat, one glaring and stupid miss is power folding ORVMs. The fact that a car that has a reverse camera doesn't come with power folding ORVMs, especially one that costs nearly 14 lakhs on the road, feels like a foolish omission. Even my old WagonR, which was less than half this cost, had this feature.

There's more than enough space at front for both the driver and front passenger, and only if you're above 6 feet do I think it may be a little uncomfortable. 4 people can seat very comfortably, and the flat floor at the back, unlike the Nexon, doesn't make you feel claustrophobic. 5 people if they're of average height and build can be quite comfortable for even extended journeys. Also unlike my WagonR, where the ride quality much worse at the back than at the front, here it's very uniform.

The infotainment system is good, no freezes, no hang ups till date, it does take a minute for Bluetooth and Android Auto, which is only wired, to get connected after the car is started but once connected it is butter smooth. Only minor gripe is Android Auto is not automatically loaded and you need to click on the icon in the screen to open the Android Auto home screen. The 4 speaker plus 2 tweeter setup is fantastic, given that I'm always listening to music while driving, and the steering controls are very good. Overall, the infotainment more or less will give you everything you need in a car.

Exterior:

The car is a looker, that's definitely true. Especially in the Seaweed Green colour, it looks great from front and the side, only the back looks a little compressed but I love it's stance. The tires are fantastic Apollos, and they're very big for a car of this size, which adds to the aggressive look. They also grip up very nicely and do a very good job at transferring all that juicy torque onto the road. I also like the blacked steel wheels found in the Adventure variant more than the alloy wheels found in higher variants. I had roof rails installed on the car along with side chrome garnish, and they have massively added to the look of the car. Definitely gets a lot more respect on the road than my WagonR did.

Niggles:

As of now, honestly I've not really had any big niggles at all, touch wood. The only thing that's a little annoying is that the boot is hard to close and it takes a hard slam to shut it properly. The auto hold is a little jerky to use for parallel parking, which is when I usually switch it off. Apart from that though, everything in this car works the way it is supposed to. And that is how I hope it will continue to be.

Conclusion:

Overall, given that it's only a city car, I feel like this is hands down the best car decision we've taken. The Innova was a bit more of an emotional rather than rational buy but this has been a purely rational, yet fantastically fun buy. It's built in a very sturdy way, dons good looks, has a fantastic suspension, grippy tires, decent interiors and lag free infotainment system, good interior space, very very fun to drive, while having the unmatched convenience of a true gearless powertrain, and with NVH levels that are simply unmatched by any ICE that isn't 3 times as expensive as this. And on top of all this, it is dirt cheap to drive and is usually the most economic option available. Throw in the nifty auto hold that is perfect and very well calibrated for city traffic, and with it giving me a better range than I had expected, despite my spirited driving, and with it being perfectly compact for the city, I keep trying to find a reason to take it out for a spin. It makes driving effortless, fun, cheap and comfortable, all at the same time.

I have been a petrolhead my entire life, which is why it is ironic that the car that has satisfied me the most, of all the ones I've driven, is an EV. I love the sounds of high revving NAs, the sonorous V12s, the screeching V10s and the roaring V8s. And even now, owning a BMW sedan, hopefully one with an inline 6, is a dream. But given the fact that I am not going to be owning any of those petrol beasts anytime soon, no ICE car in my budget would have ever satisfied me this much, and that is a hard and indisputable fact. I don't want to start an EV vs ICE debate, but this car taught me, that until we give something a try, we must never make any assumptions about it. A little open-mindedness sometimes, leads to us finding a car we never expected to buy, but one that somehow satisfies everything you want. So the next time you see an EV that catches your eye, give it a test drive, you may never know, it may be the car you've always needed.

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240610_105313.jpg

The Odo touching the 1000 km mark.
TorqueAddict007 is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 13th June 2024, 11:37   #395
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch EV scores 5 Star Bharat NCAP Rating

First EV to be tested.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FACT-SHEET_Punch.EV_.pdf (1.56 MB, 65 views)

Last edited by CarguyNish : 13th June 2024 at 11:39.
CarguyNish is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 17th June 2024, 08:40   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Regen doesn’t work when the battery is fully charged. Starts working at L1 at 95%, and normalises after 93%. System is calibrated conservatively, such that battery has enough empty capacity to take in the regenerated electricity.

Default behaviour with Nexon EV also. Slow charging or fast charging does not have any role here.
Thank you!
I hade the same 'issue' and was going to rush to the service centre. Luckily I read your post!
Team--bhp is amazing!
Old 17th June 2024, 09:27   #397
BHPian

I'm told that Zconnect works properly only when the "vehicle's sim" is activated, which again requires e-KYC to be submitted!

Anyone has more knowhow on this?
Old 17th June 2024, 18:47   #398
BHPian

A few updates, first time in my life a car wished me happy birthday, there's both an audio / verbal message as well as visual display on both the screens. Was surprising and fun, it kept doing it every time I started the car after opening the door. An interesting detail, if the car is in drive mode and stationary or even moving if you open the driver side door it'll engage the parking brake immediately and the car stops. Tried it a couple of times, good safety feature Tata baked in too prevent a runaway car. Another hilarious thing is now my media screen displays the old gen Harrier instead on the Punch Ev, tried to reset it but it just won't change, so let it just be and am mentally happy that I'm driving a much costlier car.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch.ev Review-videocapture_20240617183658.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot_20240617_183530_video-player.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240615_184828.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 19th June 2024, 18:58   #399
BHPian

Purchased the extended warranty for 3 years for my car, and it was a really smooth experience. We purchased extended warranty for 3 years, it's a little bit pricey, especially given it's almost twice the price of the 2 years one, but I feel it's worth it. A lot of other expensive components of the car apart from battery and motor can also fail, not that I hope they ever do, and in my own experience with a friend who took 2 years extended warranty, he started to face a lot of issues in the sixth year, right after the warranty ended. Granted they were all ICEs but if anything like the AC compressor or the inverter unit goes kaput, it will be very heavy on the pocket. Taking the maximum available warranty guarantees peace of mind for the next 6 years at the very least, since I highly doubt I will be touching 1.6 lakh kms on the Odo in that timeframe, or for that matter, any timeframe in my ownership.

We were actually supposed to go the showroom and take it, but we couldn't find the time to do it, so our Sales Advisor, Mr Ashwin, from Key Motors, and his manager came home with everything ready and it was a very good experience, a special thanks to them for making our life a lot more convenient. They have also been very prompt in responding to all my questions in the initial ownership period. So far, in my first two months of ownership, after taking delivery, I've had nothing but a good experience with them, and I hope it stays like that.

Car was supposed to go for its first service but I unfortunately missed it due to being held up elsewhere. Will do so in another week. I hope the really positive experience I've had with the showroom since delivery also carries over to the one I have with the Service Center.
TorqueAddict007 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 09:39   #400
BHPian

Who is your dealer in Bengaluru? And how pricey is the extended 3-year warranty?

I have been toying with the idea of an extended warranty but so far, I am still to make up my mind
Old 20th June 2024, 10:44   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
Who is your dealer in Bengaluru? And how pricey is the extended 3-year warranty?

I have been toying with the idea of an extended warranty but so far, I am still to make up my mind
I think its fixed price across all dealers of TATA Motors, checked with two dealers. I paid 49,499/- for 3 years extended warranty. Tried to negotiate but dealer told it is directly governed by Co.
DHARM is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2024, 22:20   #402

The Tata Punch.EV sure checks all the boxes, well.. almost. I took delivery of my Punch.EV Empowered+ S LR exactly a month back in Bengaluru, and have been using it as a daily driver for office commute (short distance) and for weekend city drives for errands for the last month. Have not taken it out onto the highway yet.

The Punch.EV was the natural choice when I decided to get a secondary car for city drives and keep the 2020 Octavia for longer drives and for some enthusiastic driving. I have test driven the Punch ICE a couple of years back and the new EV is clearly a class apart compared to its ancestor.

In the last month, I have clocked close to 600km with just city driving, and here are my thoughts if you are planning to get one.

My expectations:
  1. Peaceful ride
  2. Has decent range that can work for my city usage with 2 charging cycles a month
  3. The fun of driving an EV

The good bits from last month's usage:
Pure EV joys: The car is dynamite when you slot it in sport mode and floor the pedal - it takes more than 2 wheel spins to get the torque surge under control - and the car feels like the Road Runner simply having its legs running in the same place when it picks up speed! Absolute fun and will definitely put a smile on your face when you try it.

Range & Regen: I certainly wanted to get the most out of the range the LR variant offered, and most of my driving (if not all) was on the ECO mode - the car announces it to the world each time I slot it into ECO. Being light on the throttle, and keeping the regen at L3 (max), Bengaluru's bad roads and traffic that requires you to slow down actually come in handy to improve the range. I was able to easily pull off a 30% regen rate based on my driving (according to the ZConnect app).
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_9425.png

Tata Punch.ev Review-img_9424.png
The max regen level takes some getting used to at first but a couple of drives you will start enjoying not having to brake so often, and when I went back to the Octavia for a drive, I had to consciously tell myself not to expect the car to slow down when I take the foot off the throttle!

Tech - all of it: One of the biggest highlights of the new Punch.EV is the tech it comes equipped with. It has hill descent control, auto hold, electronic parking brake, auto headlamps, rain sensing wipers, and a weird 'footwell disco light' setup going for it where the floorwell lights dance to the music you're playing in the car - felt cringe at first but I'm loving it now! Being stuck in traffic does not annoy me anymore - I simply turn on the Arcade.EV and watch my favorite Sitcoms while the traffic clears.
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_9008.jpg
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_9050.jpg

Things I appreciate now, that I didn't before: Two things -

1. The left/right turn camera view popping up when the turn signal is activated. I wanted to disable it on the day I took delivery itself but decided to keep it on for a while and, well, if you're in a city like Bengaluru, you should keep it on too! I primarily find it super useful when joining service roads on the same side (helps to see traffic from way far away when you're joining the service lanes), and when I am taking sharp turns and the BBMP folks have decided to not fully build the pavement in that corner 1 feet of the road, you want to be able to see that.

2. The 360 degree camera is just FUN! It shows a beautiful top-down view of the car so you can park it perfectly between the yellow lines (apologies about my OCD about lines and parking). The 360 also helps in getting the car out of tight parking - you know, when that one person decides to park their motorcycle right in front of your car without any regard.

The niggles:
My friend - who recently bought the new Harrier - warned me about how Tata is not known for their "fit and finish", especially since I have owned mostly cars from the VW group in the past and currently drive an Octavia as my primary car. It took me less than 2 days to realize he was right about that. The car was riddled with issues in terms of the fit and finish. The interior sidewall lining was not tucked in properly at some spots, the roof light seems like a cheap piece of material that was plunked on to the car, the trunk simply does not like to close without a fuss, the infotainment system hanged on me 2 times in the last month.

Also, did anyone notice how the indicator chime is simply irregular in the rhythm and the frequency often times?

Useful tip: If your infotainment system on the new Tata IRA cars become blank or unresponsive, one way to hard reset is this:
  1. Hold down the mute button on the steering wheel for 10 seconds
  2. Hold down the bluetooth (media) button on the steering for 10 seconds
  3. The car infotainment will restart (including your instrument cluster)
  4. Once it does, open the driver side door, keep it open for 15 seconds, and close it again
  5. Start the car and pray to the Tata Gods for the infotainment system to reboot and be fine again

Found the above on YouTube and it helped me fix the issue the last time around.

Anyway, truth be told, the car - despite some of the above niggles - has become one of my favorite set of wheels till date. It is nimble, fun to drive, peaceful when you want quiet, and certainly does not give you range anxiety. I was able to get 265-270Km on a full charge till date. I do not have a charging provision at my apartment but have a normal 15A wall plug at work, where I can charge it up for free - so I guess free mileage?

If you're looking for a small, capable, absolute looker of a car for your city commute, the Tata Punch.EV might be the best option in the market right now for the sub Rs.15 Lakhs budget.

Some pictures of the car:
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_8991.jpg
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_8992.jpg
Tata Punch.ev Review-img_8993.jpg
aashiqb is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 21st June 2024, 09:52   #403
BHPian

^^I have had the Punch.EV for over a month now & I have the same variant as you.

I too have been enjoying this beauty - a picture of my car:
Tata Punch.ev Review-punch4.jpeg
Quaser is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2024, 09:36   #404
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueAddict007 View Post
Niggles:
As of now, honestly I've not really had any big niggles at all, touch wood. The only thing that's a little annoying is that the boot is hard to close and it takes a hard slam to shut it properly. The auto hold is a little jerky to use for parallel parking, which is when I usually switch it off. Apart from that though, everything in this car works the way it is supposed to. And that is how I hope it will continue to be.
Great review!
For parking, I simply remove the seat belt. It disables auto hold and that way, I never have to deal with that auto-hold button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aashiqb View Post
The niggles:
Also, did anyone notice how the indicator chime is simply irregular in the rhythm and the frequency often times?
The irregular indicator chime is an indication by the ESP if I remember correctly. That is triggered on bumpy surfaces only even if the turn indicator is off.
v01d is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2024, 14:51   #405
BHPian

Got this as a forward. Tata dealer doing tata dealer things .

https://x.com/amitchauhan3011/status...699122409?s=46
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch.ev Review-tata_dealer_email.jpeg  

King_Julien is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks