Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2024, 22:45   #376
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

One month update.

So completed a month today of buying my punch LR. Fell slightly short of 5k kms , 4928kms to be exact. Spent about 6k rupees on fuel approximately some 3k on home and about 3k on fast charging. Extremely value for money to run. Home charging only will cost you less than a rupee a km to run (slow charge). I've got only the standard portable 3.3kw charger.

Fast charged at Shell in Bangalore the other day, smooth process but they don't allow sitting in the car during charging, good they have great Cafe adjoining. Both were 120KW chargers.

Got the mandatory air topup here and was surprised to see psi on all tires was 29, when TPMS was showing ok. Got it topped up to 35 when recommended was 34. Guys do check the tire pressure manually the TPMS is useless.

Faced a couple of niggles. On a highway jio charger,
near Dobaspet , which had lights on but charger off when I connected the charging gun it got stuck. The charger was off it seems, after struggling for 30 mins trying to manually over ride the gun lock finally it released. Was a harrowing experience in rain And darkness above all lost the indicated range from 157 kms to 70 kms though the battery was same a indicated 60% . Very strange, but it charged ok on the Tata charger at Tumkur but took time to regain the range even though battery was at 90% . Everything was OK after slow charging the next day. If you see a charge r without visible power don't connect it, it'll mess with your range. Driver door squek and boot hard close issue is back, guess the service guys had done nothing to fix it really. But it's more of an irritant than anything else. The central DRL is still not working. Haven't bothered to go and get these fixed as they don't effect the functioning in any way. Will mostly try again at 7.5k kns service.

It's a attention magnet, people will enquire about every possible detail about it like pricing, mileage, maintenance, warranties, etc. Wife loves driving it too.

Mostly getting 225 to 250 kms per full charge. Would have loved if it did 300-350 kms on a full charge, most range issues would have been solved. I was apprehensive when buying this, but now I'm sold on the concept of a EV , so much so that I wonder if buying the base/executive version of the MG Z Ev, would have been a great idea, proper 5 seater with good boot and above all very good range .

I drive 4k kms every month so an ev does make a lot of sense for my usage. Will keep that updating the thread. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot_20240606_220058_tata-motors-zconnect.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240601_121048.jpg  

Tata Punch.ev Review-20240601_120352.jpg  

mh09ad5578 is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 6th June 2024, 23:13   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
One month update.
Got the mandatory air topup here and was surprised to see psi on all tires was 29, when TPMS was showing ok. Got it topped up to 35 when recommended was 34. Guys do check the tire pressure manually the TPMS is useless.
I guess it is the same indirect TPMS, which can only warn you if one of the tire has a puncture as it is based on detecting speed differential. You can run with all tires flat and the TPMS will not bother you with any "unnecessary" warnings.

But to be fair the TPMS in my Nexon did warn me of a minor puncture in time. Got it fixed at the next tire shop.
electric_eel is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 09:29   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Fast charged at Shell in Bangalore
Didn't know shell has EV chargers too.
Where is the Shell EV charger located?
Old 7th June 2024, 09:41   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Fast charged at Shell in Bangalore the other day,.
Shell chargers are so costly. At Bangalore you should try charging at Statiq, they are almost half the price of shell.

Also the app let's you charge from shell using their wallet. I have loaded my statiq wallet with extra cash, as they were giving 20% amount for wallet loading. In emergency, I can charge from shell charger and bring cost 20% down.

If you have not tried statiq yet, try my referral code
rejin8687 and get rs.300 in wallet..[/quote]

Quote:
We do not have dTPMS in punch ev, the manual says to monitor and top up tyre pressure every 2 weeks and reset tpms.

I think after the reset, the vehicle might have to be driver for some distance to get the iTPMS calibrated.
King_Julien is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 7th June 2024, 11:37   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
Shell has a charging app SHELL RECHARGE, it has all the locations and details, mostly these are based in bangalore only not on highways. But these are 120KW chargers and really good charging experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Julien View Post
Shell chargers are so costly.
We do not have dTPMS in punch ev, [/quote]
Thanks didn't know about the TPMS , regarding Shell the cost for it was 406 Rs for 15 KW including taxes so didn't feel that much of a difference. But someone who only fast charges they have a subscription model where costs claimed are less than Rs16/KW. Maybe this is costly but charging service is markedly superior. And Shell will over charge for the brand name/experience.

Last edited by mh09ad5578 : 7th June 2024 at 11:38.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 10:25   #381
BHPian

1st service done after completion of 2 months from the delivery date and 1700 km on the ODO. The service was uneventful only topping up and checks were done. Bought extended warranty for 3 years at 49,499/- (According to SA replacement of most of the part covered in the warranty starts with Rs.20,000/-) and 3D floor mats from TATA. The issue of fixed seat belt buckle for left side back passenger seat is not sorted, and a complaint was registered by SA with TATA Motors for solution as they don't want to resolve without consultation with them due to sensor connected with it.

As per SA software is updated once a year and last update was in December so no new updates for now. Had conversation with SA regarding complaints by other Punch EV owners, he mentioned that except few software glitches like TPMS, last phone call, tail gate etc. nothing major reported, He credited Punch battery supplier for this however also mentioned that the old battery vendor (supplier of other TATA EV vehicles) is taking over so issues will crop with regards to battery future in Punch EV as well (can't verify his claims). Also queried while charging in open, as peer him gun and the car charging point must be protected by plastic sheets or cover during the rain to avoid short circuit (need to check what is recommended by TATA Motors in the manual)

Overall, very satisfied with the vehicle, no specific issues reported till now. I charge mostly at home with 3.3kw charger at approx Rs.10-12 per unit, my average energy efficiency is @ 120wh/km the highest was 152wh/km in peak Mumbai summer while lowest being 87wh/km post showers. I got range of 250-275km during summer so I am sure it can cross 300 in monsoon, will update as I Plan to Travel this month. planning to buy/build extension wire and spare Tyre as it is necessary for peace of mind.
DHARM is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 11:22   #382
BHPian

Quote:
Shell has chargers at couple of locations, Check on the Statiq app. Statiq has tie up with Shell and Gilda chargers
DHARM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 11:38   #383
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARM View Post
planning to buy/build extension wire and spare Tyre as it is necessary for peace of mind.
I'm planning to have a spare wheel too. Didn't follow what the extension wire was for - is it for the charger?
Old 10th June 2024, 12:45   #384
BHPian

Quote:
I'm planning to have a spare wheel too. Didn't follow what the extension wire was for - is it for the charger?
Yes if need be can be used to charge at hotels something similar to shown in this video of Noice Faktory link
DHARM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th June 2024, 13:38   #385
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARM View Post
Yes if need be can be used to charge at hotels something similar to shown in this video of Noice Faktory link
Thanks, this is useful safety information for arranging long charging extension cables.

If portable (like when you carry the extension in a car on a long journey), the earthing part can be slightly cumbersome, should the area be concreted or covered with interlocked paver blocks.
One might need to route the wiring past a point where there is some uncovered ground to dig up some earth to bury the rod!
Quaser is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2024, 18:47   #386
BHPian

Quote:
Price of the steel rim quoted was Rs500/-, was checking 195/60/R16 tyres and these are in the range of 5 to 6.5k rupees each.
Could you tell me where you got the availability & price quote for the steel rim? I think Rs.500 is too low & might be for just the rim cover, not the entire steel rim.

Also, I have not been able to get a source that can supply me a steel rim, though Amperion tyre is available at all Appolo tyre outlets in Bangalore.
Old 11th June 2024, 21:58   #387
BHPian

Quote:
Could you tell me where you got the availability & price quote for the steel rim? I think Rs.500 is too low & might be for just the rim cover, not the entire steel rim.

Also, I have not been able to get a source that can supply me a steel rim, though Amperion tyre is available at all Appolo tyre outlets in Bangalore.
So SA back tracked , it's available on Boodmoo for Rs 3450/ listed for Punch EV spare. I think the Altroz XM has the same size rim and tyre and is listed at 2850/- , I was thinking of checking at JC road alloy shop for someone who upgraded his wheels might get it cheaper.
What's the cost of the Apollo Amperion tyre, I was planning to put regular tire for the spare and not bother about EV specific type.
mh09ad5578 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2024, 09:42   #388
BHPian

Yes, you are right about buying an ordinary tyre to be kept as a spare for punctures.

Apollo webpage has these prices....
Name:  Apollo Tyres.png
Views: 113
Size:  182.8 KB
But even the cheaper Alnac 4G may be an overkill for what is going to be essentially a rare & sparingly little usage. Tyres in the range 4-5000 should be sufficient.

Could you provide specific links for steel rims on Boodmoo for Punch.EV & Altroz.XM?
Old 12th June 2024, 09:49   #389
BHPian

-Please delete as it is a duplicate-
Attached Images

Last edited by Quaser : 12th June 2024 at 09:56. Reason: Duplicate
Old 12th June 2024, 10:28   #390
BHPian

Quote:
I was planning to put regular tire for the spare
Quote:
Tyres in the range 4-5000 should be sufficient
You can downsize to 15-inch wheel rim and tyre to reduce the cost further. Total diameter does not change and should not have any impact on the car.

Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot-20240612-10.20.548239am.png

Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot-20240612-10.17.028239am.png

Tata Punch.ev Review-screenshot-20240612-10.33.538239am.png

Last edited by Comrade : 12th June 2024 at 10:34.
Comrade is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks