Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2024, 12:09   #361
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (10)
Re: Tata Punch.ev Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Thanks for the crisp and clearly articulated review Rush.

I wanted to understand a bit more about this specific reason, I agree with you that the Nexon EV facelift is a better, bigger and more proven car, but it still a Gen 1 ICE retrofit to EV compared to the Punch which is a generation ahead in terms of the underlying ALFA ARC platform.

For example two issues with the Nexon that bother me are that the HV wires have to go front to back in the Nexon, and there is no integrated skateboard for the battery and chassis. On the plus side it gets a wider cabin, and all the benefits and quirks of the X1 platform.

What would you recommend to someone looking for a 1 car EV garage for mainly city commutes. I'm just looking and not going to buy anytime soon. Thanks.
I would recommend Nexon EV LR as a primary car. There may be an instance where you may have to travel on highways. In future, V2V Charging will pay an important role for power backups. The Shifting lever is an added advantage over rotary knob of Punch.

As with the platform, I didn't feel much of a difference with Gen 1 and Gen 2 in terms of overall driving. From price point of view, the mid variant of Nexon EV looks VFM.

Last edited by Gurudatta Nayak : 27th May 2024 at 12:10.
Gurudatta Nayak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 12:12   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

• The kind of range that the Punch has for commuting is more than enough for an average EV user. But for a petrolhead like me, it’s not and I’ll tell you why. When I see an empty road, I like to revv and I like to drive fast. On the highway, I will cruise at 120 km/h, and not 80-90 km/h like some of the conservative EV users. I also like to corner hard on empty mountain roads, going up and coming down. The problem is that, with my kind of driving style, the actual driving range is approximately 50% of what a regular person would get. Hence for me to own an EV, I would need a minimum of 500 km range, so with my driving style, I get at least 250-300 km range.
Assuming 50% of ARAI range for aggressive driving style is fair. I personally assume this for long drives that so that there is enough buffer for me in case there is any issue at the EV charger.

The real issue with aggressive driving on Tata EVs is that peak charging rate is severely limited. Punch charges at max rate of 28 kW. This means that a one hour charging stop will only add 140 KMs of real world range for an aggressive driver. This is a deal breaker for most.

For context, the ZS EV only has a 10 kWh bigger battery but will add the same real world range in a 25 minute charging session. This coupled with a longer range to begin with making long distance driving much easier.

Tata really needs to focus on this area to make EV road tripping easier on their cars.

Last edited by shyampsunder : 27th May 2024 at 12:12. Reason: Typo
shyampsunder is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th May 2024, 13:33   #363
BHPian

Anyone facing issues with AQI readings? I have had multiple instances when the AQI reads over 300 & then drops to 25-30 & then goes up to 120-180 range before settling to normal levels. I understand from service staff that this is the case with many Tata cars.
Old 27th May 2024, 22:04   #364
BHPian

The Aircon is using much energy in summer.

I wonder how is the experience of MR users in summer? Expected to have range anxiety when driving in newly opened express ways and hilly/forest areas as charging stations are not yet setup.

Hope some MR user would share real world experience.
King_Julien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2024, 09:11   #365
BHPian

I'm also facing issues with ZConnect - doesn't update properly & misses out items with "No data" remark. The service guys are ignorant & say that "some other department" is in-charge, and it is not their responsibility!
Old 28th May 2024, 12:31   #366
BHPian

I took a test drive of Punch EV LR and was impressed by this pocket rocket, I had driven Creta N Line DCT, Honda Elevate CVT and Tata Punch EV in a matter of 3 days and I liked Punch the most! Following are my observations

- Solidly built car with a compact foot print for the city.
- Superior powertrain as compared to any of the smaller hatch backs or even some sub 4m crossovers, the experience is just unparalleled in the segment, I felt it was much better than the Creta N-Line DCT (which was Jerky when driven aggressively!), acceleration until 80 kmph is almost as good as our Octavia 2.0 TSI!
- Nice automatic, there is a dearth of good automatic options among smaller city cars as most are offered with jerky AMTs (unless one is considering 4m crossovers/hatchbacks).
- Packed with feel good features, nice sound from the stock music system, decent touch screen with an option of 360 degree camera, ventilated seats and sunroof.
- Extremely easy to drive and is quite punchy, city mode is adequate for urban areas, sport is enjoyable on an open highway.
- Sorted ergonomics compared to a Nexon EV (ALFA and EV specific platform helps its case).

Dislikes:
- Not a car for longer highway trips, in my opinion, it is way too much of a headache to deal with locating and charging a vehicle every 200 kms or there about (applies to all EVs with real world range less than 350 kms).
- Cramped back seat, I compared this with the ICE variant parked in the showroom and could notice EV had thicker seats that made it feel more cramped, wish they had extended the wheelbase by a couple of inches!
- Though I did not face any issue as part of the drive, there are way too many breakdowns reported on the forum for the Nexon EV, hope the same does not apply to Punch.
- Resale value of EVs is an unknown factor and I feel they will not be as valuable as a comparable ICE vehicle in the used car market, EVs will lose value like appliances as the battery tech is bound to get better every now and then.

All in all, I felt the Punch EV was more sorted than a Nexon EV and is a fantastic city car, if I was in the market for a secondary vehicle that would be exclusively used in the city or highway trips less than 200 kms, this is what I would buy, Hope Tata resolves all software issues on priority and is able to deliver a reliable ownership experience.

Last edited by abaliga : 28th May 2024 at 12:37.
abaliga is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 29th May 2024, 02:36   #367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaser View Post
I'm also facing issues with ZConnect - doesn't update properly & misses out items with "No data" remark. The service guys are ignorant & say that "some other department" is in-charge, and it is not their responsibility!
Assuming you are on android, just kill the app by clearing and reload afresh, it'll show establishing connection and should give you upto date stats on all parameters once connected. I loved the app don't know how people are managing without it when reading about it's renewal. Guess unless you are running like less than 200 kms a week, it is imperative to have the app to monitor charge time/range/ charging ongoing etc on the go apart from other connected features.
Old 30th May 2024, 12:20   #368

Does the brake light glow during regenerative braking when the brake pedal is untouched? Specially when the most aggressive regenerative braking evel is selected?
Dev_Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:19   #369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_Rai View Post
Does the brake light glow during regenerative braking when the brake pedal is untouched? Specially when the most aggressive regenerative braking evel is selected?
It does on Regen Level 3..
camaroon is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:26   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHARM View Post
Hi,

Has anyone taken extended Warranty? is it worth it? Should we take now or before 3 years of purchase? Some people on Nexon EV thread have been denied warranty claim by TATA Motors hence this Question.
Got the +3 year extended warranty during first service for Rs49,500. Good thing was paid by card for reward points and also got neucoins which I could redeem in bigbasket.. Extended warranty is absolutely required as the parts are costly. In the nexon ev thread there is a mention of AC compressor failing after regular warranty was over and it costing nearly 1L https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...xon-ev-80.html (Review: The Tata Nexon EV)
camaroon is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2024, 21:38   #371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
When we went to car and started it it was showing only 78 kms range with no charge percentage. Shockingly the car refused to switch into drive or reverse mode no matter what. It was only shifting into only park and neutral mode. Tried charging it again didn't work. Tried switching it on and off a couple of times, didn't work. Did a factory reset from menu ,didn't work. Tried calling the sos/call center call kept disconnecting. Finally called the SA at Davangere where I had serviced the car previous Saturday. He said to switch off and restart a couple of times and if this didn't work to disconnect the negative terminal of the aux battery and reconnect after 10 mins.

-Except the mediocre speed the car is absolutely comfortable to drive on long drives,with no gear/clutch to shift and cruise control and regen. I was not even using the accelerator that much, used to take it to 31 kmph and just switch to cruise resume and smoothly the car took it to 85 kmph and maintained the speed. Slowing down was just suspending the cruise control. It's way effortless. AC is also superchill kept it mostly at 23-24 on auto mode.
I got low battery indicator when taking delivery of the car. SA removed -ve terminal and it fixed the issue. I have got #10 spanner in my glovebox since.

Totally concur with your driving experience.. Effortless and fun to drive at the same time..
camaroon is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 10:23   #372

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroon View Post
It does on Regen Level 3..
Thanks. No wonder I am seeing such videos where accidents occur if the following vehicle is little too close for comfort and and the ev. ahead suddenly decelerates without a brake light glow.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 4th June 2024 at 09:07. Reason: Spacing and formatting
Dev_Rai is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2024, 15:36   #373
BHPian

The biggest con of the Tata punch EV is its age. A fresh gizmo loaded v1 product from Tata is for the real dare devils.

By the way, I loved the car when I test drove it recently. Many pluses other than the silly rotary ‘gear’ selector.
Old 4th June 2024, 07:42   #374
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abaliga View Post

Dislikes:

- Cramped back seat, I compared this with the ICE variant parked in the showroom and could notice EV had thicker seats that made it feel more cramped, wish they had extended the wheelbase by a couple of inches!
This is true. In fact, after I did a TD of the Comet, I went to a nearby Tata showroom and took a look at both the Tiago EV and the Punch EV. To my shock I observed that it was almost impossible to have any decent legroom in the Punch EV after adjusting the driver seat to my position. And the Tiago EV felt far more comfortable -exactly like my current Tiago. I am not sure why this issue has not been highlighted enough. I am only moderately tall (175 cm) by the way.
fhdowntheline is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th June 2024, 11:38   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
This is true. In fact, after I did a TD of the Comet, I went to a nearby Tata showroom and took a look at both the Tiago EV and the Punch EV. To my shock I observed that it was almost impossible to have any decent legroom in the Punch EV after adjusting the driver seat to my position. And the Tiago EV felt far more comfortable -exactly like my current Tiago. I am not sure why this issue has not been highlighted enough. I am only moderately tall (175 cm) by the way.
This was one of the reasons why we selected tigor ev back in the day. The amount of legroom and the seat full cushioning is what made us choose it. Even though I like the punch and had the urge to upgrade, I can't because if the cramped rear seat experience ( 90% if the time chauffeur driven). Nexon ev is also no for us because of the high back door sill which my aged mother cannot climb into in her saree.
Nanolover is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks