Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2024, 22:17   #1
BHPian

Share your real-world Electric Car range here

Hey Folks,

I noticed there's a fuel efficiency thread for ICE, but let's have a dedicated EV range thread! This space is for EV owners to share their real-world range experiences, helping potential EV buyers make informed decisions.

Format:

Car and Model:
Year of Manufacture:
Kilometers Driven:
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range:
Real-World Range:
City Usage (%):
Highway Usage (%):
Home Slow Charging (%):
Outside Fast Charging (%):
Battery Capacity:

Feel free to contribute, and let's build a valuable resource for the EV community!
linuxworld is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 11:29   #2
BHPian

Re: Share your real-world Electric Car range here

Car and Model: MG ZS EV
Year of Manufacture: 2022
Kilometers Driven: 32,000 km
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 400 km
Real-World Range: 330 km
City Usage (%):50
Highway Usage (%):50
Home Slow Charging (%):95%
Outside Fast Charging (%):5%
Battery Capacity:50 kWh

I do not drive to extract the max range from the car. On highways I drive on Sports mode with a max speed of 110 kmph, in the city it is normal mode.

I always keep the regen on max as I love the feeling of "engine breaking".

The only times I use a fast charger are on our infrequent road trips. The remaining time it is charged at home. We also have a solar plant at home which making charging the car extremely cheap.

For our usage this car has a perfect range combined with reasonably exciting performance.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 12:06   #3
BHPian

Car and Model: Nexon EV Max
Year of Manufacture: 2022 -- Delivered in December
Kilometers Driven: 23,000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 453
Real-World Range: 360 (full load, AC at 25) long trip
City Usage (%): Difficult to say (see notes)
Highway Usage (%): Difficult to say

Home Slow Charging (%): close 100%
Outside Fast Charging (%): only 4 times so far
Battery Capacity: 40.5 KWh

I have not given the City/Highway split because it is a bit more subtle. I live in Palakkad which is a very small town. Most of my 23K kms are for office commutes (about 40 Kms) round trips but it is not through the city. About 50% highway and the rest through country road. For most people in Kerala (except perhaps people in Kochi, driving will be through country roads mostly). So I am not an outlier in any way.

I do Palakkad-Thrissur-Palakkad trips often (about 200 Kms round trip + local travel). This is easily done with a single charge. Recently I did a Palakkad-Kozhikode-Palakkad about 280 kms round trip again on a single charge (SoC drop to 100-22%). The longest I have drove on a single charge is Palakkad-Piravom round triple of about 314 km (SoC 100-17%).

My most efficient drive was 99 KWh on an early morning Palakkad-Coimbatore airport early morning drive (140 km round trip) but I am confident in extracting 110 Wh/km with full load and AC any day for long trips (multiple short trips are less efficient).

I was always a defensive driver (ICE or EV) and that greatly helped in getting good range from the beginning. I am most comfortable in cruising around 80 Kmph on highways and mostly stick to that although once in a while I do touch 90-100 but never go beyond 100.
electric_eel is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 12:25   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Very useful thread given the changes the industry is undergoing. This will make a useful database over the years especially as EV ranges start to get better and new technology comes in - solid state batteries etc.

Quote:
Car and Model: Volvo C40
Year of Manufacture: 2023
Kilometers Driven: 1500
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 530 kms at 100%
Real-World Range: 475kms at 100%
City Usage (%): 67%
Highway Usage (%):33%
Home Slow Charging (%):50%
Outside Fast Charging (%):50%
Battery Capacity: don't know
V.Narayan is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 12:36   #5
Senior - BHPian

Nice thread and very timely too.
I would love to know if anyone has driven Bangalore-Ooty (Sigur Ghat Climb), Bangalore-Madras (with the lousy Roads and last 50kms of traffic), Bangalore-Coorg and Bangalore-Madurai in any of your EV’s on One Single Charge without having to stop and charge en route.
If yes, then which EV specifically? And how much range was left when the destination was reached?
I would be very much obliged for this information. Thanks in advance.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 14:21   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Car and Model: Tiago EV LR
Kilometers Driven: 15000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 315
Real-World Range: With AC 100-0% - 190km@130whkm - 230km@110whkm
City Usage (%): 90%
Highway Usage (%): 10%
Home Slow Charging (%): 90%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 10%
Battery Capacity: 24kw

Ps my most efficient drive was Bangalore to Chennai and back @ 89whkm @ 80-85kmph thereby extracting a range of 260+ on this humble car. I can easily replicate this again

Last edited by mally2 : 19th January 2024 at 14:26.
mally2 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 14:31   #7
BHPian

Year of Manufacture: 2022 -- Delivered in Sept
Kilometers Driven: 25,000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 453
Real-World Range: 300km per charge
City Usage (%): ~330
Highway Usage (%): 290km @ 100km/hr speed

Home Slow Charging (%): close to 80%
Outside Fast Charging (%): rest 20% on highways or Malls
Battery Capacity: 40.5 KWh

Charging Infrastructure is improving every month with new chargers set up. Even BPCL chargers are now turning on slowly.

300km range is perfectly to drive 500km in a day, if you plan breakfast and Lunch at hotels with chargers.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 14:31   #8
BHPian

Car and Model: Hyundai Ioniq 5
Kilometers Driven: 4800
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 631 Kms
Real-World Range: 533 (without AC) / 490 with AC
Highway Usage (%): 10%
Home Slow Charging (%): 90%
Battery Capacity: 72.6 KwH

My daily drive in Delhi/NCR. I use the i-pedal in stop-go traffic and regen Level 3 normally in eco Mode. Whenever hard accelerate the car swifts away like a breeze. Overall very satisfied with the purchase.
Alive2Drive is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 14:55   #9
BHPian

Year of Manufacture: Bought in March 2023
Kilometers Driven: 19600 kms
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 453km
Real-World Range: City -300 to 330 kms, Highway - 270-290 kms
Highway Usage (%): 10%Home Slow Charging (%): 90%
Battery Capacity: 40.6 KWH

I had driven diesel cars for 12 years before buying an EV. My last car was a Skoda Rapid DSG know for its slick gears changes. Moving to an EV from a diesel car is such a huge difference. There is no better car for city driving than an EV. Having said that I have driven it on ultra fast Delhi Mumbai Expressway twice and driven it on legacy National highways. If you time your breaks with your food breaks, charging doesn't seem an hassle at all.

Coming to drive setup

City - Max Regen and maximize the single pedal drive.
Highway - Regen 1. Use crusie control as much as possible

Once you are bitten by the EV bug, it is really difficult to go back. The only thing that wakes up the petrol head in me is the super cars (Porsche, Lambos, Ferrari etc.)

Last edited by ferrarirules : 19th January 2024 at 15:00.
ferrarirules is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:08   #10
BHPian

Mega Electric Vehicle Range Test

Ever since I bought an MG ZS EV, I’ve been a hardcore EV enthusiast and have driven most EVs in the country quite extensively.

I personally believe the range inside city doesn’t matter since you’ll always have an access to your home charger at the end of the day and pretty much all EVs on sale today can handle city commutes of most people perfectly well.

This lead me to perform a rage test of plenty of EVs at Highway speeds. While most people prefer driving their EVs at 80Kmph for efficiency, I preferred to do the test at 100Kmph instead as it would be a no compromise approach compared to traditional ICE cars.

Share your real-world Electric Car range here-img_5907.jpeg

I’ve compiled a list of the real world highway range @100Kmph of most EVs in India for the better part of 1-2 years from my own experience, asked friends to perform it on their EVs and a few gathered by extensive research of similar tests on YouTube and forums around the internet.

This test is performed by setting cruise control at 100Kmph, resetting the trip computer and proceeding at the set speed with little to no interruptions for around 50Kms or more. Then the Km/kWh reading is noted and multiplied by the usable battery capacity to obtain an accurate real world range figure at said speed.

Mercedes-Benz EQS580 4Matic - 600Km
BMW i7 XDrive60 - 550Km
Mercedes-Benz EQE500 4Matic - 500Km
BMW i4 eDrive40 - 500Km
Audi Q8 Etron 55 Sportback - 450Km
Audi Etron GT- 450Km
Porsche Taycan 4S- 450Km
BYD E6- 450Km
Hyundai IONIQ5 RWD- 420Km
Kia EV6 AWD- 420Km
Volvo C40 Recharge Twin - 400Km
BYD Atto 3 - 400Km
BMW iX XDrive40 - 380Km
Jaguar iPace - 380Km
Volvo XC40 Recharge Twin - 350Km
BMW iX1 XDrive30 - 350Km
Mercedes Benz EQB350 4Matic - 350Km
MG ZS EV - 300Km
Hyundai Kona EV - 250Km
Tata Nexon EV LR - 200Km
Mahindra XUV400 - 200Km
Mini Cooper SE - 180Km
Tata Tiago EV LR - 100Km

Note that if you try to maintain 100Kmph on a highway journey or if you include city driving, the real world range you obtain would almost always be higher than the aforementioned figures as we have to inevitably slow down for different reasons on our roads which results in regen and better efficiency. Take this as the minimum range you could get while maintaining 100Kmph consistently on an empty road.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:57   #11
BHPian

Car and Model: MG ZS EV Exclusive
Kilometers Driven: 8000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range:420
Real-World Range: 330 ( 100% AC) , 360 (without AC) speed between 90 to 100 kmph
City Usage (%): 60%
Highway Usage (%): 40%
Home Slow Charging (%):60%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 40%
Battery Capacity: 50.3 KW/h

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice thread and very timely too.
I would love to know if anyone has driven Bangalore-Ooty (Sigur Ghat Climb), Bangalore-Madras (with the lousy Roads and last 50kms of traffic), Bangalore-Coorg and Bangalore-Madurai in any of your EV’s on One Single Charge without having to stop and charge en route.
If yes, then which EV specifically? And how much range was left when the destination was reached?
I would be very much obliged for this information. Thanks in advance.
Did Bangalore (Sarjapur Road) to Chennai (Guindy via Krishnagiri, Vellore, Kundrathur, Pallavaram) at one charge. Started at 4 am , with 100% charge , AC used for last 40 kms, and average speed at 48 kmph. Had an emergency so did not stop for charging or breakfast. Reached with 6% SOC.

Last edited by pram_ind : 19th January 2024 at 15:58.
pram_ind is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 15:59   #12
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mega Electric Vehicle Range Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevinrevvz View Post

This lead me to perform a rage test of plenty of EVs at Highway speeds. While most people prefer driving their EVs at 80Kmph for efficiency, I preferred to do the test at 100Kmph instead as it would be a no compromise approach compared to traditional ICE cars.
This test is performed by setting cruise control at 100Kmph, resetting the trip computer and proceeding at the set speed with little to no interruptions for around 50Kms or more. Then the Km/kWh reading is noted and multiplied by the usable battery capacity to obtain an accurate real world range figure at said speed.
slow down for different reasons on our roads which results in regen and better efficiency. Take this as the minimum range you could get while maintaining 100Kmph consistently on an empty road.
This is excellent info and thanks a lot for the trouble taken to test and share these details. As I had mentioned in my post, I am keen on being able to drive Bangalore-Chennai or Bangalore-Ooty or Bangalore-Coimbatore or Bangalore-Coorg on one single charge. Looks at the moment that none of the more affordable mass market EVs have that kind of range. Especially because if one takes the case of the Bangalore-Ooty run with the steep Sigur Ghat climb and if one encounters traffic as one is inevitably going to do, then one has to really up the budget if one wants to have an EV that manages this journey on one single charge. It is also a fact that most of these secondary towns and smaller more rural areas have pretty ‘iffy’ and erratic power supply with frequent low voltage events and outages.
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 16:05   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Nexon EV LR

2023 model
Battery 40kwh
Odometer reading: 8000km
Manufacturer claimed range: 430km
Actual range: 280km (Delhi NCR conditions)
Highway range (90-110kmph): 250km
Range in winters with climate control(heater): 220km, city driving
Home charging: 95% of times
DC fast charging: only during outstation trips, whenever needed.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 19th January 2024 at 16:07.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 16:32   #14
BHPian

Re: Mega Electric Vehicle Range Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
This is excellent info and thanks a lot for the trouble taken to test and share these details. As I had mentioned in my post, I am keen on being able to drive Bangalore-Chennai or Bangalore-Ooty or Bangalore-Coimbatore or Bangalore-Coorg on one single charge. Looks at the moment that none of the more affordable mass market EVs have that kind of range.
Thank you, I quite enjoyed testing these cars. I've driven from my residence in Coimbatore to Ooty plenty of times in many EVs and that road is a genuine range killer.

You'd be shocked to know that with enthusiastic driving, my Gen 1 MG ZS EV ran out completely doing this trip of around 90Km where I reached the top with just 1% SoC! Steep uphill climbs such as Ooty manage to further cut down the highway range of these EVs by 20-40% that driving sedately on that climb gave 150Km range at the maximum.

Let's take your use case of Bangalore to Ooty:

330Km from Bengaluru to Mettupalayam is a mild downward gradient where something like the IONIQ 5 would give you around 7.14Km/kWh or 500Km range driving between 80-90Kmph. You'd reach Mettupalayam with approximately 34% SoC (23.8kWh out of 70kWh left).

Mettupalayam to Ooty is a steep 51Km climb where the IONIQ 5 does around 3Km/kWh when driving at a normal pace which means you'd reach Ooty with around 9.7% SoC (6.8kWh out of 70kWh left)

Hence an IONIQ 5 would be the least expensive EV in the market that could do this trip on a single charge.

However with the vast improvement in charging infra especially in the south, you could easily do the same trip with no anxiety or caution if you have a tea and charge break for half an hour in between at Coimbatore not only in the IONIQ 5 but even in a few cheaper EVs.
Kevinrevvz is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 19th January 2024, 16:51   #15
BHPian

Car and Model: Nexon Max
Year of Manufacture: 2022
Battery Capacity: 40.5 kWh
Kilometers Driven: ~13,000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 436
Real-World Range: City: 300 +/- 10% (depending on traffic/ac), Highway: 230 to 270 (depending on speed/route/ac)
City Usage (%): 80%
Highway Usage (%): 20%
Home Slow Charging (%): 80%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 20%
wocanak is offline   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks