Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2024, 20:55   #76
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)
Re: Share your real-world Electric Car range here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeler_Rebeiro View Post
Wow, 10 km/KWH. Or 100 wh/km. Record breaking range....I do not think any 4 wheeler vehicle acheived this yet.
Easily doable on the Tiago EV. sub100 whkm is very possible on highway run @ 80-85kmph
Attached Thumbnails
Share your real-world Electric Car range here-img_7140.png  

Share your real-world Electric Car range here-img_4093.jpeg  

mally2 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2024, 10:09   #77
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I met a chap in Brussels City Centre in a public car park a few months ago. He drove in and parked his Mini Cooper S E. i was also parking at the time so I seized the opportunity to speak a little about range.

He said at that moment that was his only car and he lived outside of Brussels (some 80kms) and that his job was such that he had to commute into Brussels town centre twice or thrice a week.

He said he was able to make the round trip because much of his driving was on the motorway and that sometimes he would charge the car in the city and otherwise when he reached home he had to charge his car.

Real world range in real world traffic, according to what he said he was experiencing, was ~150-180km.
Whether this holds true even in the depths of winter snow and all, is a moot point, judging by the kind of chaos there seems to be in Chicago and all, with the Teslas going dead in the extreme cold.

I guess it is all fine in countries where traffic moves pretty smoothly and fast on the motorways and all, but still, the range of the Mini Cooper S E in India at least, is better suited to someone who uses it primarily as a city car.
My point exactly. In my case the BEV Mini could not be relied on to make the daily round trip even once. My wife's Mini Cooper D and my Ford Focus 1.8 Tddi would last for at least a week easily. Both would cost less in diesel than the compulsory daily fast charge that would be needed for a BEV.
Still waiting for hydrogen ice or fuel cell, it is the only practical solution.

Regards Neil
Old 28th January 2024, 20:35   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mally2 View Post
Easily doable on the Tiago EV. sub100 whkm is very possible on highway run @ 80-85kmph
May be for a Tiago it is easier but for the heavier nexon EV it not a mean feat and something worth boasting about. I have managed sub 100 only once so far (140 Km round trip). By the way one should only look at round trip efficiency. For example my one and only sub 100 run was Palakkad- Coimbatore-Palakkad (upward efficiency 130 Wh/km return a jaw dropping 66 Wh/km). Granted I drove the Palakkad-Coimbatore sector a bit enthusiastically till we reached the single carriageway section. But the biggest factor is a near 500 mts change in elevation.

Last trip to Kozhikode and back gave me a round trip efficiency of 105 Wh/km. Again the onward section was done at 98 Wh/km. While there is not much in terms of elevation gain, lots of winding roads, some really bad sections on the return leg (we took a different route which turned out to be a very bad idea), heavy traffic and an exhausted driver meant that we could only manage 105 Wh/km for the round trip. (Four passengers AC at auto 25).

So for me 100 Wh/km is a milestone and I will shamelessly boast around and bore any one who has the misfortune to be with me in the car for the rest of their life.

Last edited by electric_eel : 28th January 2024 at 20:36. Reason: Typos
electric_eel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 21:42   #79
BHPian

Quote:
Wow, 10 km/KWH. Or 100 wh/km. Record breaking range....I do not think any 4 wheeler vehicle acheived this yet.
There are so many people who are getting more than 11KM/KWh or 90Wh/km easily. Just that they are not Team-BHP members.
In our Kona group there are people who are getting consistently a range of more than 420kms on a single charge.
I am getting close to 12-13KM/KWh (80 Wh/KM) on my kona at highway speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
KL Speed limits must have a lot to do with this kind of range.
Yes & no. It forces everyone to slow down so everyone, except a defensive driver, can have acceptable efficiencies.
A defensive driver will already be at higher efficiencies than these acceptable figures.
For me the Kerala roads, cause a dip in efficiency compared to open roads.
Open highways more than 12.5KM/KWh, kerala roads 11.5KM/KWh.

Quote:
I would definitely test myself on a Tiago sometime soon. It is lighter and smaller and hopefully more aerodynamic than the Kona.

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I have managed sub 100 only once so far (140 Km round trip). By the way one should only look at round trip efficiency. For example my one and only sub 100 run was Palakkad- Coimbatore-Palakkad (upward efficiency 130 Wh/km return a jaw dropping 66 Wh/km). Granted I drove the Palakkad-Coimbatore sector a bit enthusiastically till we reached the single carriageway section. But the biggest factor is a near 500 mts change in elevation.
Well put, the efficiency numbers at downhill sections can even give a false sense of range safety.
So round trip is the solution to better understand the expected range based on the driving style.

The other important thing is the driving speed and style.
My friend's dad gets 150% more range than him. His excuse - Dad's retired so he has nowhere to go in a hurry, while he is always short on time.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 22:39   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
There are so many people who are getting more than 11KM/KWh or 90Wh/km easily. Just that they are not Team-BHP members.
In our Kona group there are people who are getting consistently a range of more than 420kms on a single charge.
I am getting close to 12-13KM/KWh (80 Wh/KM) on my kona at highway speeds.
Kona battery size is approx 40 kwh. So, in real world you get a range of 12 * 40 which is 480 kms or 300 miles on a 40 Kwh battery ?
Hyundai brochure claims range of 452 kms..
My experience is real range is 70 percent of manufacturers claimed range. But good your experience is opposite.
Seeler_Rebeiro is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 18:12   #81
BHPian

Quote:
The claims are based on test runs.
If we drive less efficiently than the test runs then its lower range than the claimed range, but if we can drive a bit more efficiently then the range can be higher than the claimed figures as well.

I usually average around 460km on highways, but recently have been managing around 500kms as well.
Old 5th February 2024, 09:56   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Kona battery size is approx 40 kwh. So, in real world you get a range of 12 * 40 which is 480 kms or 300 miles on a 40 Kwh battery ?
My experience is real range is 70 percent of manufacturers claimed range. But good your experience is opposite.
Kona is an outlier here, most EVs do 65-75% of claimed range, Kona does 90%
Old 5th February 2024, 12:18   #83
BHPian

Quote:
While I do think Nexons range is overstated, I am curious to see what kind of range does it give to some one like EV_Fan (after he has had it for a month or two).
Old 5th February 2024, 12:36   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Right, Hyundai has extracted great range out of the battery in the Kona.

There are rumours now that the upcoming Creta EV will use this Kona motor. It will make the upcoming car very efficient and hopefully sells well.
Old 7th February 2024, 09:12   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
There are rumours now that the upcoming Creta EV will use this Kona motor. It will make the upcoming car very efficient and hopefully sells well.
Hope they solve the Battery Cooling flaw that the Kona has. If it is blindly carried forward from the Kona then better steer clear.

Quote:
While I do think Nexons range is overstated, I am curious to see what kind of range does it give to some one like EV_Fan (after he has had it for a month or two).
I think understated
If i could, i would have bought the Nexon and Tiago to prove it otherwise(or get proven wrong).
But alas, fate does not approve of it.
Old 7th February 2024, 11:17   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
I think understated
If i could, i would have bought the Nexon and Tiago to prove it otherwise(or get proven wrong).
But alas, fate does not approve of it.

You mean to say that you can get something like kona (500 km) from the nexon ?
Aerodynamically I think they are comparable but Kona's sports mode + paddle shifts is something that nexon cannot match.I have tried hard and for long trip the best I can get is 105 Wh/km (consistently that is with AC). There is an odd 99 Wh/km and 103Wh/km but I cannot guarantee with confidence.

I am curious how does ARAI figure out the range. If it is with actual driving one can hope to better it.

Last edited by electric_eel : 7th February 2024 at 11:23. Reason: typo
Old 7th February 2024, 12:15   #87
BHPian

Can some Kona owner please explain this sport mode + paddle combo of the Kona and how its different from the nexon or the punch
Old 7th February 2024, 14:18   #88
BHPian

Quote:
You mean to say that you can get something like kona (500 km) from the nexon ?
Target would be 460
Quote:
I am curious how does ARAI figure out the range. If it is with actual driving one can hope to better it.
ARAI figure is based on Standard Test Conditions with the road ideals of the Global North, defensive driving for Indian conditions, goes above & beyond it i guess.

Quote:
Can some Kona owner please explain this sport mode + paddle combo of the Kona and how its different from the nexon or the punch
Sport Mode - Gives very fine/mild regen levels. So minimum loss in recuperation. Other modes are a bit too aggressive so higher conversion losses.
Paddle Pull - Allows to use the entire motor capacity in reverse for regeneration and can even bring the vehicle to stop. I think this & higher C values of NMC might be allowing Kona to get more energy back to the batteries.
Also, at creep speeds, using brake pedals i think engages friction brakes.
Paddle pull bypasses that and uses recuperation to even recover that last bit of energy.

Video Courtesy Hyundai.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2024, 16:05   #89
BHPian

Car & Model : MG ZS EV Exclusive
Month / Year of purchase : July, 2023
Current ODO : 5,927 KM
Manufacturer claimed range : 461 KM
Real world range : 250-260 KM (Driven 100% with AC switched on. Battery is recharged back to 100%, once it reached 20-25%. Generally end up driving about 200-220 KM between charges.)
Usage (%) : 100% City
Home charging (%) : 100 % (7.5 kW)
Battery capacity : 50.3 kW
Re-gen level : 3 (Always)
Drive mode : Normal (Always)
fordfreak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:48   #90
BHPian

Car & Model : Tata Nexon Prime
Month / Year of purchase : July, 2023
Current ODO : 9675 KM
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 315 Kms
Real-World Range: 160 Kms - 180 Kms
City Usage (%): 100%
Highway Usage (%): 0%
Home Slow Charging (%): 99%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 1% (Fast charged once till date)
Battery Capacity: 30KWH

I picked up this car mainly for City Usage within Mumbai, and it clocks close to 75-80kms within the city everyday. I have never used the vehicle for highways. The vehicle is chauffeured and he manages nothing more than 150-170 Wh\Km. No matter how much one explains to accelerate gradually, it just don’t seem to get into his head. He will accelerate like crazy on seeing an empty space. I’ve accepted this and am living with it, cost of having a driver. When I drive I manage 130-140 Wh/km. Having said this, I would always have an EV for city use as it's extremely cost effective and we do not have to bother about reaching optimum engine temperatures for short commutes of 2-5 kms.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks