Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2024, 11:19   #46
BHPian

Re: Share your real-world Electric Car range here

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Nice thread and very timely too.
I would love to know if anyone has driven Bangalore-Ooty (Sigur Ghat Climb), Bangalore-Madras (with the lousy Roads and last 50kms of traffic), Bangalore-Coorg and Bangalore-Madurai in any of your EV’s on One Single Charge without having to stop and charge en route.
If yes, then which EV specifically? And how much range was left when the destination was reached?
I would be very much obliged for this information. Thanks in advance.
Hi Shankar,

I own a Nexon EV MAX and can confirm that I have done Bangalore - Coorg (specifically Somwarpet, which is another 27 kms from Kushalnagar and entirely uphill), in a single charge. I reached the destination with around 9-10% charge still left. I had reached Kushalnagar with around 27% charge still left.

I have also done Bangalore - Ooty (specifically Destiny Resort, 21 kms ahead of Ooty), with a top up of around 45% in Mysore, 4 adults, 2 kids, luggage etc. Reached Destiny with 17% range left.

Atto3 and Ioniq5 can do Bangalore-Chennai at 100-110kph speed easily with residual range of 10-15%. Have my friends who own this and have done these trips.
alok9345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 11:29   #47

Car and Model: MG ZS EV
Year of Manufacture: July 2023
Kilometers Driven: 9800
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 461 km
Real-World Range: With AC - 350 km (Without AC -360 km)
City Usage (%): 60
Highway Usage (%): 40%
Home Charging (%): 95% (7.5 kW)
Outside Fast Charging (%):0%
Battery Capacity: 50.3 kW
Regen Level: 2 (Always)
Drive Mode: Eco in winters, Else Normal Always
Torqueceptor is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 11:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alok9345 View Post
Hi Shankar,

I own a Nexon EV MAX and can confirm that I have done Bangalore - Coorg (specifically Somwarpet, which is another 27 kms from Kushalnagar and entirely uphill), in a single charge. . I have also done Bangalore - Ooty (specifically Destiny Resort, 21 kms ahead of Ooty), with a top up of around 45% in Mysore, 4 adults, 2 kids, luggage etc. Reached Destiny with 17% range left.

Atto3 and Ioniq5 can do Bangalore-Chennai at 100-110kph speed easily with residual range of 10-15%. Have my friends who own this and have done these trips.
Good to know this about the Tata Nexon EV Max. Really nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

1. Effectively your trip from Bangalore to Somwarpet shows you can do 250 odd kms on one charge. Normally when my Dad was planting there we used to use the Arkalgud route rather than the Kushalnagar route.
2. Ref Ooty, did you go up the Sigur Ghat to get to Destiny or did you take the gentler Gudalur road? I imagine you charged up in Mysore because of the upcoming hill climb ahead. Here also the distance is about 225-240kms.
3. I wonder if the Ioniq5 and the Atto3, can do the Ooty run without a recharge.
4. Good to know that these two can do Bangalore to Chennai without a recharge and I assume the same holds good for Bangalore to Coimbatore. I would think Bangalore Madurai might be a bit harder to achieve on one charge though.
Old 21st January 2024, 12:21   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Good to know this about the Tata Nexon EV Max. Really nice indeed! Thanks for sharing.

1. Effectively your trip from Bangalore to Somwarpet shows you can do 250 odd kms on one charge. Normally when my Dad was planting there we used to use the Arkalgud route rather than the Kushalnagar route.
2. Ref Ooty, did you go up the Sigur Ghat to get to Destiny or did you take the gentler Gudalur road? I imagine you charged up in Mysore because of the upcoming hill climb ahead. Here also the distance is about 225-240kms.
3. I wonder if the Ioniq5 and the Atto3, can do the Ooty run without a recharge.
4. Good to know that these two can do Bangalore to Chennai without a recharge and I assume the same holds good for Bangalore to Coimbatore. I would think Bangalore Madurai might be a bit harder to achieve on one charge though.
Yeah, so to your queries

1. I generally used to take the Hasan Road and divert at Channaraypatna, but after the mysore road opened, the Kushalnagar route makes more sense for me.

2. I took the steep 12km Kalhatty Ghat with those infamous 36 hairpin bends. I've done that road twice and single charging stop in Mysore was enough. I think the Gudalur route adds another 50kms, that would be an equal trade off. The real range killer in my opinion is the stop and go, speed bump ridden Bandipur route.

3. Ioniq5 and Atto3 both can do the Ooty Kalhatty route without a charging stop. The efficiencies are pretty solid.

4. Ioniq5 can definitely do Madurai, however, you'd need a gentler foot and top speeds of 85-90kmph. But its not impossible. Slightly more prudent driving for Atto3 though, and it will be neck and neck.
alok9345 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 12:25   #50
BHPian

Car and Model: Nexon EV Max
Year of Manufacture: July 2022
Kilometers Driven: ~10,500
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 437
Real-World Range: City-250-260 (Bangalore)
Highway- 300-330 @80-90kmph
Effeciency: City- 135-145wh/km
Highway- 120-130wh/km
City Usage (%): 90
Highway Usage (%): 10
Home Slow Charging (%):95%
Outside Fast Charging (%):5%
Battery Capacity:40.2kwh
alok9345 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:01   #51
BHPian

Car and Model: Tata Nexon.ev LR

Year of Manufacture: 2023
Kilometers Driven: 1966
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 465 kms
Real-World Range: 330 kms
City Usage (%): 90%
Highway Usage (%): 10%
Home Slow Charging (%): 100%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 0%
Battery Capacity: 40.5 kWh

Average consumption: 115 to 125 wh/km

Share your real-world Electric Car range here-20231228_125716.jpg
400notout is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 13:58   #52
anb
BHPian

Car and Model: MG ZS EV Exclusive
Year of Manufacture: 2023
Kilometers Driven: 20000
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 461 km
Real-World Range: 320-350 km
City Usage (%): Nil
Highway Usage (%): difficult to say, mostly ghat roads and busy 2-lane highways in Kerala
Home Slow Charging (%):80%
Outside Fast Charging (%):20%
Battery Capacity: 50 kWh

Last edited by anb : 21st January 2024 at 14:00.
anb is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 15:32   #53
BHPian

Car and Model: Tata Nexon EV prime

Year of Manufacture: 2021
Kilometers Driven: 19843km
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 312 kms
Real-World Range: 240-250 kms
City Usage (%): 95%
Highway Usage (%): 5%
Home Slow Charging (%): 95%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 5%
Battery Capacity: 30.2kWh

Average consumption: 115 to 125 wh/km

My highway usage is on fixed route between NH30 LKO-PRYJ (210km) 4-5 times a year, a single charge stint with 2-3 DCFC stations on the way even though I prefer charging at destination due to availability of good restaurants near the charger

Got consistent range of 240km with AC/heater @ 75kmph cruise where possible and trip avg being 50kmph due to traffic and other slowdowns (single lane highway for halfway)

My only fast charging happens here, because I don’t need public charging in city when I can charge for free using home solar

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 21st January 2024 at 15:38.
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 17:37   #54
RJK
Senior - BHPian

Car and Model: Nexon EV Prime, XZ+
Year of Manufacture: Aug 2022
Kilometers Driven: 32,000.00
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 315 Kms
Real-World Range: 170-180 kms but lately been getting 160 odd.
City Usage (%): 100
Highway Usage (%): 0
Home Slow Charging (%): 100
Outside Fast Charging (%): 0
Battery Capacity: 30KWH

This is our daily city drive which is driven by our driver. He manages nothing more than 135-140Kw/hr. No matter how much one explains to accelerate gradually, some things just don’t seem to get into their heads. I’ve accepted it and am living with it, cost of having a driver
I can see there’s definite degeneration in battery health as even though it’s cooler in Bombay currently, the Wh/km has remained more or less same. So it’s going to get worse come summer, in few months.

I would risk money only within 20L on a Tata car, having seen their standards, both manufacturing & service station.

Edit: Forgot to add, it’s always driven in regen 3
Cheers

Last edited by RJK : 21st January 2024 at 17:41. Reason: More info
RJK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st January 2024, 21:49   #55
BHPian

Frightening to see such huge differences between claimed and real world figures.
Sounds like a REAL GAMBLE investing in an electric car, especially when you cannot rely on the range.
My daily commute is 180kms, very few of the mid range everyday BEVs have enough real world range for 2 days travel. Some won't even last a day !!!
I cannot charge at home or work. I would have to use fast chargers. In the UK fast chargers cost more per mile than my 2004 1.8 Turbo Diesel Ford Focus, that can easily cover 900kms a week with over 100kms in reserve on just one 5 minute fill up.
Guess I will just have to wait for Hydrogen !!!!
I just don't see the all electric car as a practical solution for people in my situation. A Hybrid is completely out of the question, most have a real world mileage less than my son's 2005 1.2 petrol Vauxhall Agila. Therefore contributing "0" to Co2 reduction. They are just a tax dodge and are of no benefit to the environment
Redex is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 09:14   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
Frightening to see such huge differences between claimed and real world figures.
Sounds like a REAL GAMBLE investing in an electric car, especially when you cannot rely on the range.

A Hybrid is completely out of the question, most have a real world mileage less than my son's 2005 1.2 petrol Vauxhall Agila.
The "claimed range" is very unrealistic purely because of the government's extremely flawed ARAI testing procedure and not really the manufacturer's fault. It's always recommended to go by the EPA and WLTP estimates which are 90% realistic.

I respectfully beg to differ with regards to Hybrids where my Honda City Hybrid easily offers more than 25Kmpl in any driving situation and gets close to 30Kmpl in certain situations. Pretty much no pure ICE car in the market could get close to these mileage figures.
Kevinrevvz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:13   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxworld View Post
This space is for EV owners to share their real-world range experiences, helping potential EV buyers make informed decisions.
At the risk of being declared an outlier

Car and Model: Hyundai Kona
Kilometers Driven: Approx 10,000kms
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 452kms
City Usage (%): 40%
Highway Usage (%): 60%
Home Slow Charging (%): 90%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 10%
Battery Capacity: 39.2 Kwh
Real-World Range:
With passengers (City): 420/440 kms
With passengers (Highway): 460 kms
Without Passengers (City): 460 kms
Without Passengers (Highway): 500kms

Highest kms driven on a single charge: 508kms (514 kms trip with 101% charge) Did a 17% top up just to be safe and reached home at 16%, could have hypermiled the last distance but did not feel like taking a risk.
Coincidentally, this trip was on 18th Jan, the day OP started the thread.

Lowest Kms driven on a single charge: 238 kms with 23% range left, Extraoplated to 328kms. Multiple short runs with full passengers and AC running when parked under sun. Kona relegated to a Support vehicle task on ceremony/temple runs. (The car's seen lot worse though - courtesy Hyundai Pickups where efficiency was just 6KM/KWh)

Without AC (Hypermiling Experimental Runs): 650kms (Extrapolated based on efficiency figures of 16.5KM/KWh during the run)
It is too hot & humid in Kerala(even winters), so sustaining with even windows open is difficult.

Real World Efficiency: Inching towards 80Wh/KM or 12-13KM/KWh (Initially around 90Wh/KM or 11KM/KWh)
Drive Mode: Sports with Regen 0 (Initially ECO with Regen 1)
Driving Style: Highly Defensive (No Cruise Control - felt it was quite inefficient and was making me loose focus on driving)

Disclaimer: Most of these are extraplolated figures, based on round trips on flat terrain and the infamous single carriagway roads of Kerala/Chengannur.
Only 1 attempt at 100% to 0% (had achieved approx 500kms) but felt it was too risky. Now target is to usually keep the battery within 15%-20% at the end of the trip.
High Elevation experience is very limited but round trips to Thenmala gave an average of 10.5KM/KWh
EV Fan is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 10:42   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
At the risk of being declared an outlier

Car and Model: Hyundai Kona
Kilometers Driven: Approx 10,000kms
ARAI / Manufacturer Claimed Range: 452kms
City Usage (%): 40%
Highway Usage (%): 60%
Home Slow Charging (%): 90%
Outside Fast Charging (%): 10%
Battery Capacity: 39.2 Kwh
Real-World Range:
With passengers (City): 420/440 kms
With passengers (Highway): 460 kms
Without Passengers (City): 460 kms
Without Passengers (Highway): 500kms

Highest kms driven on a single charge: 508kms (514 kms trip with 101% charge) Did a 17% top up just to be safe and reached home at 16%, could have hypermiled the last distance but did not feel like taking a risk.
Coincidentally, this trip was on 18th Jan, the day OP started the thread.

Lowest Kms driven on a single charge: 238 kms with 23% range left, Extraoplated to 328kms. Multiple short runs with full passengers and AC running when parked under sun. Kona relegated to a Support vehicle task on ceremony/temple runs. (The car's seen lot worse though - courtesy Hyundai Pickups where efficiency was just 6KM/KWh)

Without AC (Hypermiling Experimental Runs): 650kms (Extrapolated based on efficiency figures of 16.5KM/KWh during the run)
It is too hot & humid in Kerala(even winters), so sustaining with even windows open is difficult.

Real World Efficiency: Inching towards 80Wh/KM or 12-13KM/KWh (Initially around 90Wh/KM or 11KM/KWh)
Driving Style: Highly Defensive (No Cruise Control - felt it was quite inefficient and was making me loose focus on driving)

Disclaimer: Most of these are extraplolated figures, based on round trips on flat terrain and the infamous single carriagway roads of Kerala/Chengannur.
Only 1 attempt at 100% to 0% (had achieved approx 500kms) but felt it was too risky. Now target is to usually keep the battery within 15%-20% at the end of the trip.
High Elevation experience is very limited but round trips to Thenmala gave an average of 10.5KM/KWh
Damn man, is the KONA really that efficient to do 80whkm. Kudos to your driving style and the KONAs efficiency

ps it took me a second read to identify you as the famed EV_Fan!!! no wonder

Last edited by mally2 : 22nd January 2024 at 10:44.
mally2 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 11:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EV Fan View Post
We should crown you King of efficient EV driving.

While the rest of us bitch and moan about range and charging limitations of affordable EVs and keep hoping for that elusive EV to fix it, you have taken what is available and made it work now for highway usage.
wocanak is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2024, 12:19   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redex View Post
My daily commute is 180kms, very few of the mid range everyday BEVs have enough real world range t
I met a chap in Brussels City Centre in a public car park a few months ago. He drove in and parked his Mini Cooper S E. i was also parking at the time so I seized the opportunity to speak a little about range.

He said at that moment that was his only car and he lived outside of Brussels (some 80kms) and that his job was such that he had to commute into Brussels town centre twice or thrice a week.

He said he was able to make the round trip because much of his driving was on the motorway and that sometimes he would charge the car in the city and otherwise when he reached home he had to charge his car.

Real world range in real world traffic, according to what he said he was experiencing, was ~150-180km.
Whether this holds true even in the depths of winter snow and all, is a moot point, judging by the kind of chaos there seems to be in Chicago and all, with the Teslas going dead in the extreme cold.

I guess it is all fine in countries where traffic moves pretty smoothly and fast on the motorways and all, but still, the range of the Mini Cooper S E in India at least, is better suited to someone who uses it primarily as a city car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks