Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2024, 06:09   #76
BHPian

Re: A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobogris View Post
Charging to 100% makes very little difference. In any case, the battery has a buffer and the 100% indicated is more like 95 to 97%.
I'm really curious to know how the almost daily charge cycle affects the battery health especially since the Kona comes with an NMC chemistry. During the recent service, I asked the service advisor to check the state of health and expectedly it was showing 100%. Would be nice to know how much of that buffer gets used up after a while.
GKR9900 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 10:21   #77
BHPian

Re: A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5

Off topic : Can anyone guide me on what were the discounts offered on the last of the Konas? Looking at a 2023 kona in MH where the dealer claims on road was 25L when the car was discontinued. I find this hard to believe.
TIA.
Mods, please delete if unsuitable.
clix22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2024, 13:26   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
Off topic : Can anyone guide me on what were the discounts offered on the last of the Konas? Looking at a 2023 kona in MH where the dealer claims on road was 25L when the car was discontinued. I find this hard to believe.
TIA.
Last heard values were almost close to 20L + Road tax applicable in that state.
Unless you are getting very good discount, you should reconsider putting such a substantial amount on a highly outdated model.(Unless of course you like the vehicle dynamics that is.)
EV Fan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 18:02   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKR9900 View Post
I'm really curious to know how the almost daily charge cycle affects the battery health especially since the Kona comes with an NMC chemistry. During the recent service, I asked the service advisor to check the state of health and expectedly it was showing 100%. Would be nice to know how much of that buffer gets used up after a while.
The below article gives a good insight on this. Depth of discharge is an important aspect, it is better to keep the battery between 20 - 80 %.

https://batteryuniversity.com/articl...ased-batteries

As per Hyundai manual, it is recommended to charge the battery to 100% using AC if the percentage drops below 20%, or once a month is recommended.
sidrn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 06:08   #80
Senior - BHPian

Apologies to my good friend GKR9900 for hijacking this thread temporarily.

As you all know, after much consultation, test driving, agonising, and hours of yakety-yak with him, EV Fan, and various other Distinguished Members of the League of EV Gentlemen, I bought my Hyundai Kona in March.

I've mostly used it in the city since. I did 2 drives to Krishnagiri and back and managed it on one single charge both times. But it is not a big distance. I also did two Bangalore Mysore Bangalore trips but I did charge the vehicle at Mysore at the Mall of Mysore.

It has taken me until last week to find the time to go to Ooty in the Kona. And Ooty and Coorg are my most visited destinations.

The car’s state of charge was at about 75-80% when we started because I had charged a week earlier and used the car here and there in the city.

As usual, it was only me and my wife and our relatively light luggage.

We stopped at Swad Mysore for a quick breakfast. Sadly the Jio BP charger there is still not functional.

We then stopped at Shell outside of Mysore for a fast charge up to 83%. It was at 17% and it took 40mins so we had some coffee and hung around chatting with the serving lady. And then we attacked the rest of the drive including the steep Sigur Ghat. The Kona performed perfectly. The instant torque and responsive behaviour are very very enjoyable.

Upon reaching our destination I saw that we still had 99kms of range left. Later that day I charged the car back to 85% for our local usage. And then after driving about 85-90 kms locally up and down the hills the next day, I found the charge had come down to 62% so I charged it back up to 83% to be prepared fot my return journey.

Then we did the return journey and it was very nice to see how the natural regen helped maintain the SOC and range down to Mudumalai.

We reached Mysore (Shell) with around 199kms range left. I guess I could have attempted the Mysore Bangalore run. But I chose to be prudent and charged the car for about 25 mins while we ate a small meal next door. Returning to the car we found it had reached 83% so I stopped charging and drove back to Bangalore, reaching home with 111kms range left.

I find the eco mode and level 1 regen is nice and I do use the regen paddles much like one would use the gear paddles in an ICE car. I frankly drove all the way on the highway at speeds around 85-95kmph. Im really not into Hypermiling and all those things to increase range.

I just want to enjoy my car without caring too much and falling victim to this insidious ‘range anxiety’.

In the hills, I always stay well within the sensible speed limit, irrespective of all my years of experience, driving around those hills.

The Kona feels solidly planted and handles very nicely indeed with its low centre of gravity - battery located under the car. It is absolutely fun to drive on the highway and in the hills too. I never thought I would like an EV so much. But I certainly love my Kona.

One has to change the driving thinking and driving style in an EV as compared to an ICE. It is not necessary to start with full charge and nor is it necessary to top up to full every time. Just keep using and charging when needed just like the mobile phone or watch. No need to get obsessed and tense with trying to ‘will’ the charger to take the car to 90-95%….it is much easier if one breaks all these taboos.

Also, I mostly charge using public and private charging infrastructure - fast chargers usually and once in a while plugging it into my office. But then considering I drive an average of 500kms a month in this car my charging also happens only around once or twice a month or so when in the city and obviously as described here, more frequently when on a road trip.

One allows for charging stops and food breaks. And generally goes at an easier pace. And the interesting thing is in an EV one tends to hear better and somehow enjoy the journey more calmly with some nice music and conversation and watching life go by, unlike in a fast ICE car where one feels instinctively like listening to the engine growl and play with the gears and generally ‘send it’. But then, one can accelerate fiercely when needed and accomplish overtaking maneuvres with consummate ease. EV acceleration is ‘teeth blisteringly addictive’ as I have opined in the past. (But it also drinks the juice nicely if one fiddles too much with the accelerator.)

In conclusion:

I'm happy overall with my first Blr-Nilgiris-Blr EV trip.
The total charging cost incurred was around 1600-1800 Rupees…and the performance of the car in the hills and thise lovely curvy twisty roads was excellent. The Ground clearance is more than adequate for my needs. The smooth acceleration is lovely. The vehicle is Stable and planted and highly confidence-inspiring.

If it had been AWD instead of FWD then that would have been the icing on the cake. But, as expressed before, I love the FWD Kona’s size and proportions much more than I do, those of the AWD Kia EV6 and the RWD Ioniq5.

Best of all, compared to my erstwhile petrol AT Thar, where a trip like this always costs me 10,000Rs and more, this Kona is a whole world apart.

From the perspective of my pocket and the fuel costs, I am very happy that I sold that Thar and bought the Kona.
Attached Thumbnails
A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5-img_3530.jpeg  

A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5-img_3483.jpeg  

A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5-img_3440.jpeg  

A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5-img_3428.jpeg  

A 1000 kms round-trip to buy a Hyundai Kona | EDIT: 10000 km review on page 5-img_3511.jpeg  

Last edited by Turbanator : 11th September 2024 at 08:15. Reason: As requested. Kindly take your time and post when you have crosschecked everything.
shankar.balan is online now   (18) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 08:55   #81
BHPian

Ok so you did the elusive Bangalore Ooty trip. I recall you always wanted an EV that can do it with zero charge stops. Did you find the one charging stop irritating. I suppose not. It’s just a quirk non ev owners have until they eventually move to EVs.

Congrats on your ride. The white Kona is lovely.
mally2 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 11th September 2024, 14:21   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
It has taken me until last week to find the time to go to Ooty in the Kona. And Ooty and Coorg are my most visited destinations.
Finally, that elusive trip has happened. I remember the talks we had on how the ability to do this one trip without breaking a sweat would be the decider in your purchasing an EV. I'm glad to see you come out of it with flying colors. Drive on mate!
GKR9900 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2024, 04:46   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clix22 View Post
TIA.
Not sure if you bought it, but it is a well rounded and accomplished car. You should be able to get it for 18-19 odd lacs considering that it is the last one left. Yes the On Road price at one time was 25 lacs.
But while it is a lovely car, it is outdated now and discontinued too, so you should be able to grab it at a solid discount.
It is a very solidly built car and a real pleasure to own. I love mine.
shankar.balan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2024, 11:33   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
As you all know, after much consultation, test driving, agonising, and hours of yakety-yak with him, EV Fan, and various other Distinguished Members of the League of EV Gentlemen, I bought my Hyundai Kona in March.
Congrats on the Kona!

It's a competent EV with great efficiency.

What I love about the car is the ability to regulate how much power the car draws on both AC and DC.

This is very useful when plugging it into old electrical circuits at hotels, homestays etc.

Charging infra in and Bangalore has developed significantly. Couple of trips and you won't be checking any apps or planning these things out.

Hope you have many happy miles on your car!
shyampsunder is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks