Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2023, 17:17   #1
Senior - BHPian

USA: Except Tesla no other EVs are taking off, says Mazda CEO

Masahiro Moro, CEO, Mazda, has stated that consumers are still not sold on electric vehicles, as they make up only a fraction of the total sales volume in the USA.

USA: Except Tesla no other EVs are taking off, says Mazda CEO-mazdaceo.jpg

He added that Tesla is the only company which is witnessing success in an otherwise fragile EV market, while other EVs are "not taking off." Speaking to a media outlet, Moro stated, "EV is an absolutely important technology, and we are developing it. But [in the US] EVs last year [were] about 6% of the market. This year it is 8%. And out of that 8%, 57% was Tesla. Other EVs are not taking off, inventory is piling up."

Tesla dominates the EV market in the USA, with reports suggesting that it will take an entire decade for its rivals to catch up.

Having said that, while carmakers like Ford and General Motors have introduced EVs, Mazda doesn't have a single electric car on sale in the USA. The MX-30 EV from the brand was discontinued after it registered just 66 units of sales this year, although it continues to be offered in other international markets.

Having said that, most carmakers have been cutting back on their targets, investment and spendings amidst a slowing demand for EVs. With inventories piling up, dealers are also turning away supplies due to lack of sales.

Moro mentioned that one of the major reasons for companies struggling to hit their target of manufacturing only zero-emission vehicles is the lack of charging stations. He stated, "How we get to zero is up to consumer choice and social infrastructure."

Source: Business Insider

Link to Team-BHP news

Last edited by RahulNagaraj : 29th November 2023 at 17:23.
RahulNagaraj is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 23:05   #2
Team-BHP Support

Re: USA: Except Tesla no other EVs are taking off, says Mazda CEO

8% marketshare for EVs in new car sales in USA is not bad. Western Europe new car EV share is at 16% and China is at 25%. Likely reasons for relatively lower EV desirability in USA:

- Low petrol prices in USA (approx 50% of what consumers pay in Western Europe)
- Americans tend to drive more than Western Europeans and perhaps not many find EVs suitable for road tripping across the vast expanse of USA.
- Most Republican candidates and their supporters are pro-fossil fuels.
SmartCat is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 23:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RahulNagaraj View Post
Masahiro Moro, CEO, Mazda, has stated that consumers are still not sold on electric vehicles, as they make up only a fraction of the total sales volume in the USA.
Consumers are not sold on EVs that are extremely bad. I had the Mazda MX30 EV for one week. It was provided by the Mazda dealer as my daughter's Mazda waited for a part. MX30 Max range is 100miles, but it showed 98 miles even before I started driving from the dealer parking lot. I drove for 18 miles, and the range had dropped to 60. The charge speed is ridiculously slow. I had to charge it all night for a practical range of 60.

No wonder they sold close to nothing, and had to pull the product off the market. I am sick and tired of these Japanese brands crying foul of EVs when they have no compelling product. If not for government regulations and red tape, the Chinese brands would have wiped the market clean.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 23:39   #4
BHPian

I agree that the charging infra here in US still woefully short of what it is needed. Many of my friends have Teslas and if you are staying in an apartment complex where you share the charging station with other, then half of the time is spent on finding a slot to charge it. Of course, if you own a house , things are relatively better.
mazda4life is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th November 2023, 23:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazda4life View Post
I agree that the charging infra here in US still woefully short of what it is needed. Many of my friends have Teslas and if you are staying in an apartment complex where you share the charging station with other, then half of the time is spent on finding a slot to charge it. Of course, if you own a house , things are relatively better.
It's more than perfect, when you have home solar. Near my house, even town homes are adding solar, and EV chargers in the garage. I have had my Model3 for 5.5 years now. I have not spent any time looking for a charger, not spent money on gas or electricity. The car can have max range the morning I need to start driving. For my ICE car, I end up waiting in line at the Costco nearby.

I do understand that it's a problem for older rental apartment homes, where this is an expense nobody wants to pickup. This would probably be the last group of people jumping on to EVs.
GutsyGibbon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 09:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Masahiro Moro, CEO, Mazda, has stated that consumers are still not sold on electric vehicles, as they make up only a fraction of the total sales volume in the USA
The way I see this, the pioneers of dependable automobiles have basically handed over the baton to China to build EV's. They are having a field run in every market they sell, except the USA. To say that the uptake is slow is wrong.

Tesla has or had the upper hand as they started early (So did Nissan). They did not produce a half baked product. They went all guns blazing and released an electric car that worked. People who buy a Tesla swear by it and I do not see them looking at another brand, ever. The car, the software integration works so flawlessly. No mainstream car manufacturer has been been able to replicate that experience. Nissan's brand new Ariya is a joke and this is for a brand thats also been around the EV space for ages and continues to be the only brand from the Rising Sun doing something serious with EV's. It just ain't Tesla good. Far from it.

If the USA opens its doors to Chinese manufacturers, I bet that % will be higher.

Mazda's CEO can winge all he wants. He also needs to understand that if he sells a trash EV, nobody is going to buy one. Boggles my mind how they can produce and sell a EV today with the range our very own Reva had, 20 years ago!

Non-Tesla EV's designed and built in the USA are not taking off as they are all junk. You need to fix that first.
sandeepmohan is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 14:04   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Moro mentioned that one of the major reasons for companies struggling to hit their target of manufacturing only zero-emission vehicles is the lack of charging stations. He stated, "How we get to zero is up to consumer choice and social infrastructure."
Another Japanese manufacturer, another sob story. They have missed the EV train and have been beaten by Chinese and Tesla hands down. Now they are trying every single way to downplay the EV boom so that they get time to catch up and keep their investors calm.
ferrarirules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 17:19   #8
BHPian

Mazda CEO:"We have produced a crap EV product, which is horrible in every way, and it is not selling".
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 14:17   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartCat View Post
8% marketshare for EVs in new car sales in USA is not bad. Western Europe new car EV share is at 16% and China is at 25%. Likely reasons for relatively lower EV desirability in USA:
If I may add, there aren't many affordable EVs available in the US market, the only well-made affordable EVs sold in North America are Teslas, Hyundais & Kias while Ford & VW have one affordable product each (Mach-E & ID.4 respectively). EVs are going through a rough patch of late in the US but it's too early to call it a trend - this might have more to do with consumers holding on to their wallets in a difficult economy instead of splurging on expensive EVs whose technology keeps evolving.

The Western Europe, a lot of this market is being absorbed by well-made Chinese cars, especially BYD. At the end of the day, geopolitics might be the primary reason for reduced EV adoption in the US and even India. If countries like Norway & even China can have such a high EV adoption rate, then it won't be long for rest of the world to replicate the success.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Tesla has or had the upper hand as they started early (So did Nissan). They did not produce a half baked product. They went all guns blazing and released an electric car that worked. People who buy a Tesla swear by it and I do not see them looking at another brand, ever. The car, the software integration works so flawlessly. No mainstream car manufacturer has been been able to replicate that experience.
Another reason is excellent vertical integration. Was watching Jason Camisa's review of the Cybertruck and the level of vertical integration is mind-blowing which means, Tesla's systems are much more efficient in terms of km/KwH than any other brand.

dragracer567 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 16:42   #10
BHPian

I was watching very curiously about the EVs development over few years. My points;
1) Some time back, everybody was sold that EVS are the future and will be replacing all combustion engines.But the high prices/no major breakthrough in battery tech and near monopoly of China in battery/rear earths the euphoria is reducing.
2) All japanese automobile companies were reluctant in joining the EV bandwagon
3) In India, the lack of fast charging and fire incidences are red flags in the adoption. Also prices are quite high for the limited range of vehicles.
4) ANother few years, the battery recycling and the cost of replacing will enable us do proper emission/carbon footprint as well economic viability.
5) Tesla being the pioneer and its outstanding engineering coupled with space age electronics/sensors/autopilot software is leagues ahead and leading the markets
6) In my opinion, in the four wheelers, IC engines are not going anywhere and there is lot of scope for hybrids and over times EVs will be garner around max 25 % share sharing the space with hybrids (10-20) and other IC engine (50-60%).
7) The two wheeler markets will be dominated by EVs.
bullock-Car is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks