Yes and issue fixed by without pack replacement 3 6.98%
Yes but issue disappeared on its own 8 18.60%
No 31 72.09%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2023, 12:19   #16
BHPian

Re: HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs

The 40kw battery costs around Rs. 7 lakhs as per some websites.

But this comes to about $200 per kwh. I guess the internation prices are currently at $140-150 per kwh. At cell level, it is $80 per kwh. And lithium prices are currently on downward path due to many more plants coming up.
Old 7th December 2023, 14:58   #17
BHPian

I've been using my NEV Max for 15 months, covering a distance of 23,000 kilometers. Once, while purposefully draining the battery to below 2%, I encountered a temporary HV alert. This alert appeared momentarily and disappeared after a restart. Subsequently, during a 10-minute ride home and thereafter, I never witnessed the alert again.

My usual charging pattern involves intentionally lowering the battery level below 10% approximately once per month (or after about every 4 charges), and charging to 100% whenever feasible.

Additionally, I only opportunity-charge during long highway trips, which accounts for about 50% of my drives.
sharathkamath04 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st December 2023, 13:07   #18

Hi Our Tigor EV, which is 2 years old and has clocked 19000 KM, developed HV Critical Alert 9 days back. The previous night we had charged to 100% at home (slow charge) and the alert happened when the battery SOC was 96%. The car is at the service centre since past 8 days. Initially they said its a problem with MCU and took 5 days to get it ordered. Now they are saying they have to check wiring again. No idea when we will get the car! We were given a loaner car, a Nexon diesel automatic, after 2 days. Having been used to driving sedans, i find the diesel cumbersome. Another thing was that it was just one week before that we had got our Tigor after its 2 year service. We had never experienced this HV alert earlier. As posted by some other members, we also had experienced AC cooling issue within months of buying the Tigor. The AC Compressor was changed under warranty. The part had cost around 75000. The HV Alert has really shaken my confidence in the car. Our Honda Amaze Petrol is now more than 10 years old and had never given us any cause for worry. The experience with the service managers, comparing Tata and Honda, was significantly poor with the Tata Service. I am from Kerala
sebinz is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 11:14   #19
BHPian

A youtuber who attended the NexonEV Facelift media drive said that Tata is shifting to "active-cell-balancing" from "passive-cell-balancing" with the facelift. What I understood was that cells will remain balanced throughout the charging process rather than only towards the end. Can anyone share more details about that?

Also, has that helped? Are there any Nexon EV Facelifts which have encountered HV Critical Alert?
Old 11th January 2024, 15:06   #20
BHPian

Have been running my Nexon EV Max for the past 10 Months and have completed 11K KMS, have not experienced this error once. Have been seeing this error information only on forums. There are intermittent issues such as head unit not connecting to Car Play, auxiliary battery losing power if car parked for more than 3 weeks. Nothing more than that. Hope this helps.
mug:mush is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 12:30   #21
BHPian

The looming HV critical error amounting to significant downtime is what bothers me the most. As several folks in the forum had AC issues prior to the HV error - I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before I get stranded in the middle of the road with one. My AC had malfunctioned around 1900KM mark and it was diagnosed as a sensor/fan assembly issue and both parts were replaced. Since then I have been noticing erratic charging whenever the car needs to cool down to initiate charging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomahawk View Post
I have not been able to figure out when the car needs to cool down. The fan kicks-in even at low ambient temperatures (27-26) and when the car has been idle for more than 6-7 hours. I have seen the fan turns on at 40% and 70% - but its random. The charging happens instantly when I retry charging after the fan goes off by itself. So I'm guessing something is amiss.
Old 12th February 2024, 12:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
The looming HV critical error amounting to significant downtime is what bothers me the most. As several folks in the forum had AC issues prior to the HV error - I'm guessing it is only a matter of time before I get stranded in the middle of the road with one. My AC had malfunctioned around 1900KM mark and it was diagnosed as a sensor/fan assembly issue and both parts were replaced. Since then I have been noticing erratic charging whenever the car needs to cool down to initiate charging.

I have not been able to figure out when the car needs to cool down. The fan kicks-in even at low ambient temperatures (27-26) and when the car has been idle for more than 6-7 hours. I have seen the fan turns on at 40% and 70% - but its random. The charging happens instantly when I retry charging after the fan goes off by itself. So I'm guessing something is amiss.
The fan comes on and off during charging at various points to maintain battery temperature at prescribed levels ( all batteries heat up when charging). This is not an issue. It's SOP for the car.

Also from the video it's very difficult to diagnose the issue. If the issue is the radiator fan running for 10 secs if any door is opened- then the pigtail update needs to be done ( highly unlikely as this was a problem in the initial batches of tigors like mine, new tata cars have it fixed).

Also I noted that there are electrical accesories added to your car like the seat cooler. Don't recommend they additions especially on an electric car.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 13:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
The fan comes on and off during charging at various points to maintain battery temperature at prescribed levels ( all batteries heat up when charging). This is not an issue. It's SOP for the car.
My problem is not with the radiator fan turning on when plugged-in. During scenarios when radiator fan has to kick-in to initiate charging (for the green light to turn on and MID to display charging times) - the fan keeps turning on and off along with HV lines engaging and disengaging. This will repeat for a minute or so before charging would begin. Charging would start immediately without any drama if the fan doesn't have to turn ON.

My car didn't charge for around an hour or so once after being plugged-in. I had to re-do the charging ritual to get it to charge. I believe I found the AC was malfunctioning on the same week. Perhaps this happened for an hour then. I noticed this issue only after the radiator fan assembly and PWM sensor was replaced for fixing the AC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanolover View Post
Also I noted that there are electrical accesories added to your car like the seat cooler. Don't recommend they additions especially on an electric car.
This is powered using 12v socket. Tata now has its own catalogue of electrical accessories. There isn't anything particular that they do at the dealership - they just do it the same way as they would do it on the ICE cars. Ignore what the sales guy told you - they still parrot the same thing to push people into buying higher variants (even now). Check with accessories team or service team. Browse for Tigor here: https://ev.tatamotors.com/accessorie...lName=Tigor.ev
Old 12th February 2024, 13:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:
My problem is not with the radiator fan turning on when plugged-in. During scenarios when radiator fan has to kick-in to initiate charging (for the green light to turn on and MID to display charging times) - the fan keeps turning on and off along with HV lines engaging and disengaging. This will repeat for a minute or so before charging would begin. Charging would start immediately without any drama if the fan doesn't have to turn ON.

My car didn't charge for around an hour or so once after being plugged-in. I had to re-do the charging ritual to get it to charge. I believe I found the AC was malfunctioning on the same week. Perhaps this happened for an hour then. I noticed this issue only after the radiator fan assembly and PWM sensor was replaced for fixing the AC.

This is powered using 12v socket. Tata now has its own catalogue of electrical accessories. There isn't anything particular that they do at the dealership - they just do it the same way as they would do it on the ICE cars. Ignore what the sales guy told you - they still parrot the same thing to push people into buying higher variants (even now). Check with accessories team or service team. Browse for Tigor here: https://ev.tatamotors.com/accessorie...lName=Tigor.ev
Could be any number of issue bro, maybe can start with the process of isolation. If possible, get a different slow charger adapter gun from a mate and put it on charge and check if it is charging without issues. Then we can tales eliminate the charging gun/ contact issue. Can then proceed from there on.
Nanolover is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th August 2024, 20:25   #25
Senior - BHPian

Seems like it may be a problem with the new Curvv EV as well, refer to this post.

As a potential Curvv EV buyer, this is quite discouraging to say the least.
Old 12th August 2024, 10:50   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post
Seems like it may be a problem with the new Curvv EV as well, refer to this post.

This is becoming a bigger problem for Tata than VW's DSG issues. Tata themselves probably haven't figured out how to fix it. I feel bad for them as they really have a chance to lose the "poor quality" tag which has haunted them for decades.
Old 12th August 2024, 11:12   #27
Senior - BHPian

So true. Now that they have introduced a dual clutch option even with diesel engine, may be they want to re-introduce VW DSG issue as well.
santosh.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 12:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
This is becoming a bigger problem for Tata than VW's DSG issues. Tata themselves probably haven't figured out how to fix it. I feel bad for them as they really have a chance to lose the "poor quality" tag which has haunted them for decades.
I would like to find out what exactly do they do while testing the vehicles before launch. My office is in Chinchwad and Curvv test vehicles used to race with the traffic on almost a daily basis here as if it is made of gold and diamonds.

How they are unable to diagnose HV issues even after having so many EVs on road is actually frustrating.

I am really tempted to get Curvv EV myself and I was going through Tata EV discussion on telegram groups and almost every 10th post was about people either complaining poor range, over heating chargers, HV issues, sudden drastic drop in battery charge, battery packs changed twice and much more.

Worst part about all this is that we cant even pick up a used TM EV as for all you know it is a horror story being sold.
Old 12th August 2024, 13:35   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hi All

There is a VECU, BMS and IPC update campaign for all Nexon Max users and Nexon Prime with AIO battery packs (manufactured post October 2021)

The update includes

1. Vehicle Electronic Control Unit (VECU) update
2. Battery Management System (BMS) update
3. Instrument Panel cluster (IPC) update

Some guidelines for the update.

1. The car should not be below 30% SOC for the upgrade
2. The car should ideally be 70 to 90% for the upgrade as the car needs to be slow charged to 100% immediately post upgrade.

The screenshot below is for the Max campaign. There is a similar one for Prime

HV Critical Alert in Tata EVs-whatsapp-image-20240812-09.36.55.jpeg

What this update resolves is not known as of yet? As this has been launched recently, not a lot of members from our EV group have gone for the update. I am planning to get it done this week or next week.
ferrarirules is online now   (12) Thanks
Old 12th August 2024, 14:10   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Hi All

There is a VECU, BMS and IPC update campaign for all Nexon Max users and Nexon Prime with AIO battery packs (manufactured post October 2021)
Is this only for the Max, or also for the facelift LR models?
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed