Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2023, 10:41   #1
BHPian

Would you want a tachometer in an EV?

On the Nexon EV that I drive, the tachometer does not exist. Instead there is a tachometer-like dial that in some sense gives an indication of the power delivered. This is an infinitely more useful information for driving and with a single transmission setup in most EVs, the motor RPMs are not a very interesting number. But for "academic" reasons is there a point in having an RPM display in an EV ? Let me know.

As an aside, my previous drive was a zen petrol which is now 20 years old and the only tachometer it has is the driver's ear, but boy what fun it is to listen to the engine note and shift gears particularly when rev matching and down shifting. Looks like Tachometer mere nasib me nahi hai.

Last edited by GTO : 29th November 2023 at 17:19. Reason: typo
electric_eel is offline   (3) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 24th November 2023, 10:46   #2
BANNED

re: Would you want a tachometer in an EV?

The EV motor drives the wheels directly, there is no transmission, so the RPM is just some constant times the speed. You can calculate the constant from the wheel diameter. So, no, it's not useful or interesting.
rsidd is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 11:22   #3
BHPian

I am more interested in power consumed in numbers rather than graph.
DarthVeda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 12:58   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I am more interested in power consumed in numbers rather than graph.
For (post driving) analysis yes, the numbers are more interesting but while driving I find graphs, pictures, bar diagrams (i do not know what to call them where the amount is shown as a filled rectangle) more easy to use. That is why I like the analog speedometer, tachometer etc. It is enough to just glance on it to get an idea of whether you are speeding too much or not.
Old 24th November 2023, 13:05   #5
Senior - BHPian

Since the motor is always in gear with the wheels, while coasting say at 100kmph, the motor is off, but the rpm is still high, which makes no sense.

Even for any calculations speed is the only important parameter.
Old 24th November 2023, 16:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post
Since the motor is always in gear with the wheels, while coasting say at 100kmph, the motor is off, but the rpm is still high, which makes no sense.

You are right. There is not much point in the RPM reading. It seems people have done the opposite during EV conversion of old cars. They have reused the RPM instrument cluster as a power meter.

electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2023, 17:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

No, it makes no sense to have a tacho in EVs.

On hybrids though, I wish they had a tacho since it has an engine. I would have liked to know what rpm my hycross is running.
Old 25th November 2023, 18:13   #8
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKC-auto View Post

The motor is not off. It is "coasting" in the sense that you need to provide minimal power to maintain it at that speed. Its RPM is the same as if you had just reached the speed from 0 by flooring the pedal.
Old 25th November 2023, 21:34   #9
BHPian

I would love to have a power dial with real markings like old tesla model S dials instead of the “apple performance graphs” we get right now where it only tells a relative fraction of the total power being used.

I think the MG has volts and amps count mentioned but I’d like to see real time dial (as option to be added on digital cockpit not permanent)

Would open a new world of hypermiling where the car tells you exactly how much continuous power the motor gets (say 15kW at 100kmph) so as to make range assumptions more accurate and easier.

For instance 15kW at 100kmph means 15kWh for 100km range or 150Wh/km
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th December 2023, 20:27   #10

Re: Would you want a tachometer in an EV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
On hybrids though, I wish they had a tacho since it has an engine. I would have liked to know what rpm my hycross is running.
I am under the assumption that tachometer makes sense for pure ICE and mild hybrids cars alone since that is a feedback to the driver to drive efficiently. With a strong hybrid where the EV motor is running most of the time, and the ICE primarily charging and supporting the same, speed and the driving mode (pure EV vs mixed vs pure ICE) makes more sense for fuel efficiency.

Would argue that a tachometer would be behaving weirdly on a strong hybrid, enough to confuse drivers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks