Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2023, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

Tesla could build Powerwall battery storage systems in India

According to media reports, Tesla has plans to manufacture and sell the Powerwall battery storage system in India.

Tesla could build Powerwall battery storage systems in India-screenshot-20230926-175601.jpg

Tesla executives recently held a meeting with government officials in New Delhi. Reports suggest that Tesla is seeking incentives to set up a factory to build its Powerwall energy storage system that can store power from solar panels or the grid for use at night or during power outages.

Powerwall is a rechargeable home battery system that can be installed with solar. It comes in two variants: Powerwall offering a backup of 5.8 kW and Powerwall+ with a backup of 7 kW for the 5.8 kVA version and 9.6 kW for the 7.6 kVA version. Both systems have a storage capacity of 13.5 kWh.

Tesla's Powerwall is primarily aimed at domestic and light commercial use. However, it has been reported that Tesla might consider developing higher-capacity systems for industrial purposes if India approves its proposal.

India has reportedly declined Tesla's request for incentives. Another alternative would be to offer subsidies to customers. However, this proposal too is under review.

Source: Autocar India

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 18:16   #2
BHPian

Re: Tesla could build Powerwall battery storage systems in India

Why do corporates want all incentives for everything? The state governments give them land and infrastructure at a subsidised rate. This entitlement has failed to develop the US local economies (eg. Amazon warehouses). Thank goodness our government doesn't allow the tax haven loopholes for these giants.
ohaak is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th September 2023, 20:32   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Why do corporates want all incentives for everything? The state governments give them land and infrastructure at a subsidised rate. This entitlement has failed to develop the US local economies (eg. Amazon warehouses). Thank goodness our government doesn't allow the tax haven loopholes for these giants.
This is fairly standard procedure, and all state governments do it. If any large industrial house wants to set up a plant, company officials take their proposal to different states and ask for benefits. States literally compete with each other to offer the best deal and incentives. Be it free land or subsidised power or tax holiday or cheap and/or collateral free loans or some other compliance exemptions. Of course, there are plenty of back door political considerations at play as well.

It is only the small businesses who have to bear the full cost of everything up front, face all sorts of compliances and harassment, raise money at high rates and are then expected to compete with the big boys.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 26th September 2023 at 20:34.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 00:31   #4
BHPian

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/elect...ml#post5549476

Thank you for listening to my advice, Tesla. Next time please tell Elon to PayTM my fees before you finalize your decisions.

Consider my advice free for this time.

What a world! … Even Team-BHP thinks I am still a Newbie.

Tesla could build Powerwall battery storage systems in India-fnfmzqauai6sn0.jpg

Last edited by graaja : 27th September 2023 at 05:37. Reason: Removing off-topic part
Briarean is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 27th September 2023, 11:36   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohaak View Post
Thank goodness our government doesn't allow the tax haven loopholes for these giants.
IBC proceedings laughing in the corner.

On a serious note though this would be godsent for India. Instead of Tesla cars which most of the middle class would not afford this system could offset so much of our energy needs. I would definitely go for one given the amount of sunshine we get. Grid connected solar is not for me yet considering the measly amount the govt pays.
Old 27th September 2023, 20:31   #6
Senior - BHPian

This would have been great to install even without a solar setup, if only we had peak/off-peak or day/night tariff differences where you could store energy when its cheaper and then use it when it costs more.

BTW do we have a thread or guide on what is needed to connect battery backups to our home electrical systems ? While it doesnt make sense to install solar in an apartment, I was thinking of getting a portable solar panel and battery or "solar generator" as it is called and keeping it on the terrace to charge and then connecting it to the house once full to offset some electricity costs.
Old 27th September 2023, 20:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
This would have been great to install even without a solar setup, if only we had peak/off-peak or day/night tariff differences where you could store energy when its cheaper and then use it when it costs more..
It's hard for Powerwall to make sense when you are making electricity for free/solar. It's much harder for it to make sense with peak, and off peak charges. It is called super off peak for a reason. You will not figure out a way to use this electricity at these times. The power wall holds 13kwh, and most long range EVs have 60Kwh or 4 times the capacity of power wall. I look at power wall every year, but it has not made economic sense.
Old 30th September 2023, 14:04   #8
BANNED

Tesla bringing in the Powerwall battery storage systems is pretty difficult thing tbh. So many electricity operators in different states and collaborating with them doesnt look easy on paper atleast. Its a great technology no doubt about that. If they are able to achieve this then Tesla Cars wont be that much of a hassle.
Old 30th September 2023, 14:59   #9
BHPian

Second life of an EV battery is definitely for such applications, and I am excited to see where India moves with the second life approach given the massive ramping of EV adoption in India.
I am not sure at what price points Tesla plans to have these systems for India. We should also remember that in most urban and rural houses where power cuts are a norm, we have inverters with lead acid batteries; currently the price of these power storage banks for residential applications don't come cheap either!
The icing in the cake would be if we see smart homes switching to DC power entirely, I know from my professor at IITM where they have such installations running on scale where the efficiencies of battery energy storage systems are at its best.
Old 30th September 2023, 15:06   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Nobody in their right mind is going to give up their electricity connection and run their premises purely on Powerwall + solar panels, ie, go entirely off grid. No point/incentive. As such, Powerwall is essentially a glorified inverter with a larger capacity Li ion battery, at least in the Indian context.
Old 30th September 2023, 15:37   #11
BHPian

Power wall will not make homes go off the grid. But powerwall type setups can be a good replacement for diesel generators which are widely used in residential spaces in India.
Old 30th September 2023, 16:40   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Power wall will not make homes go off the grid. But powerwall type setups can be a good replacement for diesel generators which are widely used in residential spaces in India.
The bigger Powerwall has a backup of upto 9kW, which is too less to be competing with DGs, even for smaller domestic applications. The generators used in private houses are rarely any smaller than 15kW, hardly any difference in price and fuel consumption against lower models. 25kW is also pretty common. Also, DGs under 19kW are fully exempt from the latest CPCB norms mandating dual fuel, even during the GRAP period.
Old 30th September 2023, 17:35   #13
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
The bigger Powerwall has a backup of upto 9kW, which is too less to be competing with DGs, even for smaller domestic applications. The generators used in private houses are rarely any smaller than 15kW, hardly any difference in price and fuel consumption against lower models. 25kW is also pretty common. Also, DGs under 19kW are fully exempt from the latest CPCB norms mandating dual fuel, even during the GRAP period.
kW is the power. kWh is the storage capacity. Both Powerwalls have 13.5 kWh storage capacity. Their maximum power output is different. Only a handful of appliances in your house may consume 1kW of power, and these days lights (LEDs) consume almost nothing; 5.8kW should be plenty for a regular house to keep fans (approx 75 watts each), lights (5-10 watts each), fridge (about 250 watts) running. These may amount to 500kW if you turn off unnecessary fans, etc. So 13.5 kWh means you can run everything for 27 hours.

You could even use your microwave or iron or geyser or grill without exceeding that 5.8kW. If you use those for a long time, you'll make a dent in the total backup time.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 21:27   #14

Why not use the "reverse charging" feature of modern electric cars to power the home. When the car is at home and there is no power, you reverse load the car with the higher power battery. When the car is not there, you are not at home anyway. Cheaper than a Tesla Powerwall with a far higher capacity.
Of course caveats like what if I take thezcar and someone else is at home still apply.
Old 1st October 2023, 10:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Please reread my statement, I said powerwall type setups. There is nothing stopping us from creating a bigger battery backup setups ourseleves. My colleague and I have been doing research on how to replace DG setups in their society after the NGT order to retrofit them with gas. It is possible. The cost is a bit high today that is due to demand supply problem and lack of local production.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks