Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th September 2023, 16:57   #16
BHPian

re: BMW iX1 electric SUV launched in India at Rs. 66.90 lakh

Is this a CBU? If yes, the pricing may be somewhat justified. Kia and Volvo cannot equal BMW's brand value. Benz or even Audi doesn't offer an EV at this price. So, for a brand conscious EV buyer, this is a decent offering. A rare BMW that actually looks good
DonHyd is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 21:44   #17

Re: BMW iX1 electric SUV launched in India at Rs. 66.90 lakh

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonHyd View Post
Is this a CBU? If yes, the pricing may be somewhat justified. Kia and Volvo cannot equal BMW's brand value. Benz or even Audi doesn't offer an EV at this price. So, for a brand conscious EV buyer, this is a decent offering. A rare BMW that actually looks good
It’s CBU and probably the prices may come down in the near future once it is CKD. Volvo C40 Recharge may be better looking for some, it’s a choice between boxiness and curves. But, IMO, back seat space and tech specs may give BMW an advantage. The only tech lacking may be the 360-degree camera.

Last edited by Aditya : 28th September 2023 at 22:34. Reason: Capital letters, spacing, punctuation
The wise guy_P is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th September 2023, 21:59   #18
BANNED

BMW India needs to discard the current CEO and find someone who is a go getter who can push for this EV to be assembled in India and cut the prices by 40 to 50 percent. The current guy looks like he just does the bare minimum not to get fired.
techbro is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 10:06   #19
Senior - BHPian

BMW iX1 sold out for 2023 in India on launch day

The BMW iX1 was launched in the Indian market earlier this week. The carmaker has now announced that the electric SUV has been sold out for 2023.

BMW iX1 electric SUV launched in India at Rs. 66.90 lakh-bmw-ix1-2.jpg

The iX1 is the first pure-electric version of the X1 and the fifth EV in BMW India's product line-up after the i7, iX, i4 and Mini SE. It is available in a single xDrive30 M Sport trim priced at Rs 66.90 lakh (ex-showroom).

The iX1 uses a dual-motor setup with a combined output of 313 BHP and 494 Nm. BMW claims a 0-100 km/h time of 5.6 seconds and a top speed of 180 km/h. It is equipped with Adaptive M Suspension and an all-wheel drive system featuring electronically controlled 'Automatic Differential Brakes/Locks' (ADB-X).

The iX1 is powered by a 66.4 kWh lithium-ion battery pack that is said to offer a range of 417-440 km (WLTP cycle) on a single charge. The battery can be charged from 10%-80% in 29 minutes using a 130 kW DC charger and in 6.3 hours using an 11 kW AC charger. The car comes with a complimentary 11 kW BMW Wallbox charger.

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 29th September 2023 at 10:08.
TusharK is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 12:10   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
BMW iX1 sold out for 2023 in India on launch day

The BMW iX1 was launched in the Indian market earlier this week. The carmaker has now announced that the electric SUV has been sold out for 2023.
Don't understand what all the fuss is about. The pricing is much higher than expected and the value quotient is just not there. The iX1 is a "three-quarters" EV as far as battery capacity is concerned with a ~ 65 KWH battery (Versus industry standard full size ~ 80 KWH batteries) nd a range of about 400 KM. The Kia EV6 boasts a nearly 80 KWH battery that makes it a global standard full size in terms of battery capacity. More aggressive regeneration seems to provide the Kia with a disproportionately higher WLTP range of 708 KM, compared to the iX1's measly 440 KM range. The Kia makes more power and torque too and is faster, doing 0-100 in 5.2 seconds as against the iX1's 5.7 seconds.

If one is after a luxury badge, then there is the C40 recharge also with a full size near-80 KWH battery, significantly faster than either the EV6 or the iX1, with 402 HP and 600 NM doing 0-100 in 4.7 seconds. What is more, it costs even less than either the EV6 or the iX1 with the 61.25 Lakhs introductory price.

The BMW i4 has a much better battery with 83.9 KWH and this should have been provided in the iX1 as well, considering the added weight, higher passenger and luggage loading and wind resistance of the SUV body type.

BMW should have priced the iX1 around 50 lakhs and then it would have been worth it, as it is a segment lower in the EV hierarchy, which tends to be driven a lot by battery capacity.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 29th September 2023 at 12:24.
84.monsoon is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 15:08   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livnletcarsliv View Post
In fact, Ioniq 5 is too good over this iX1.
An apples to oranges comparison, IMO. Having test-driven both the Ioniq 5 and EV6, they do not feel like luxury vehicles in any form or factor; granted their exteriors look good but their interiors are far from justifying the 60L plus price tag. An MG Hector or XUV5OO can be as big as an X3 but they're different cars built for different segments. If you're talking about value within the luxury EV space, then you got a point!

The iX1 looks like a good offering for under 70L on road, with the only SUV/crossover alternatives at the moment being the XC40 and C40 recharge. But I think it's only a matter of time before Volvo revises prices to match others in the segment when they come - EQA, Q3e, etc.
hortons15 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 15:44   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Don't understand what all the fuss is about. The pricing is much higher than expected and the value quotient is just not there. The iX1 is a "three-quarters" EV as far as battery capacity is concerned with a ~ 65 KWH battery (Versus industry standard full size ~ 80 KWH batteries) nd a range of about 400 KM. The Kia EV6 boasts a nearly 80 KWH battery that makes it a global standard full size in terms of battery capacity. More aggressive regeneration seems to provide the Kia with a disproportionately higher WLTP range of 708 KM, compared to the iX1's measly 440 KM range. The Kia makes more power and torque too and is faster, doing 0-100 in 5.2 seconds as against the iX1's 5.7 seconds.
EV6 has 528 km WLTP range. 708 km is ARAI and significantly overestimated.
XC40 Recharge (current spec on India, not the global updates one) has 423 km WLTP range.
C40 Recharge has 530 km WLTP range.

Larger battery capacity is good, but efficieny is a lot more important factor (see XC40 vs C40).

If iX1 were a CKD, they would have been able to price it at par with C40 Recharge, may be even under 60L like 59.5L or so. That would have been a solid value proposition as an alternative to the current gen petrol X1 in India. I would have gladly swapped my XC40 Recharge for this at that price.

It's interesting that they left out Portimao blue option on the iX1. And for all the marketing materials showing the car in Frozen gray, they did not offer that as an option either.

Last edited by rav1up : 29th September 2023 at 15:49.
rav1up is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 15:49   #23
Team-BHP Support

Here's the spec sheet in case someone is looking.

Being a CBU, allocations can be challenging. Its a good competitor to Volvo twins and paying an addition 10 lac over Volvo, should be a no brainer.
Turbanator is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 17:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

I actually really like it. Addresses all the complaints with the petrol/diesel X1 and comes with all the features that normally only the international variants get (adaptive suspension! But why no 360 degree cameras?). The 10L price premium over the 400hp Volvo Xc40 recharge is questionable but considering the Xc40 is a generation older and very cramped in the rear seats, I can still see the plus points.
Cresterk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 17:43   #25
BHPian

Looking from another angle, the iX1 is closer to X3 (or even better in few senses) .
It gets all wheel drive, Power on paper is comparable to X3M 40i (313 vis a vis 355), which retails at 86-87L. On the inside, new X1 was only slightly smaller to X3 and major differentiation was lower powered engine compared to X3.
With the abundance of power in iX1, I certainly see it as a good alternative to X3M.

Adaptive suspension, ADAS and a decent drive range makes it an almost perfect entry level electric luxury car. If BMW start CKD and bring the price around 59-60L, it can bring decent volume to BMW.
Acharya is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 18:21   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Don’t think BMW has planned this as a volume driver. And don’t see how anyone can compare this to a Hyundai or a Kia - except if they believe that a Sonata is better than a BMW 330i.

Pricing is good, and think this car is well worth it, at least on paper. It’s certainly not mass market or even mass affluent - but makes immense sense for those who want an EV for urban and medium distance trips - with BMW driving dynamics and badge value. And frankly as a true economic decision, no EV makes sense (bar perhaps the Tata range) - so these are things sold to those who want them rather than those who need them.
Hayek is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 29th September 2023, 19:46   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hortons15 View Post
An apples to oranges comparison, IMO. Having test-driven both the Ioniq 5 and EV6, they do not feel like luxury vehicles in any form or factor; granted their exteriors look good but their interiors are far from justifying the 60L plus price tag. An MG Hector or XUV5OO can be as big as an X3 but they're different cars built for different segments. If you're talking about value within the luxury EV space, then you got a point!

The iX1 looks like a good offering for under 70L on road, with the only SUV/crossover alternatives at the moment being the XC40 and C40 recharge. But I think it's only a matter of time before Volvo revises prices to match others in the segment when they come - EQA, Q3e, etc.
Thats exactly what I meant. Of course, the iX1 beats I5 and EV6 in the luxury department. But by the underlying principle of choosing an EV over an ICE in the first place is taken aback by this iX1. Given the Indian market is still immature to consider an EV for long drives, with these specs, except for the brand factor, nothing else stands out to consider this. As already mentioned, I will probably consider the Ioniq 5 or EV6 for their technology, practicality, stand alone LOOKS, etc, if I am spending 70L for an EV, while both (I5 & EV6) are not miles apart in the luxury department also.
On the other hand, if this iX1 was a born EV, it is definitely apples to oranges comparison. Unfortunately, in the EV space, at present, BMW (with this iX1) is still behind Hyundai/Kia and I am sure things will change.

Last edited by Livnletcarsliv : 29th September 2023 at 19:51.
Livnletcarsliv is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 01:20   #28
BHPian

iX1 misses on 800 volt architecture at this price range ,real world range vs the rivals especially the Korean duo of ioniq5 & Kia Ev6 only saving grace for iX1 is the drive mannerism of BMW.
XRoader_001 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2023, 08:25   #29

The economic sense of an EV never exists in this segment. The fuel cost savings are no more valid at this price difference. We can go for a petrol X1 which may be cheaper to fill and run compared to iX1. (almost 10 lakh price difference) Ultimately all brings one to the driving dynamics.

I have driven the XC40 Recharge, C40 Recharge, ICE X1 and waiting to drive the iX1. If as put on paper, iX1 with its M suspension, power train, high driver’s position, ADAS etc may be better on road and true to BMW driving pleasure. Then we may see a winner at least for now.

The battery capacity is always not the only factor with range. As is the case with the Volvos. Weight plays a major factor in EVs driving dynamics and more kWh packs weigh more. The C40 is almost 100 kg heavier than iX1. The winner luxury EV would be a combination of range, driving dynamics, creature comforts and price. The order of preference may change among ourselves.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 30th September 2023 at 08:37. Reason: Post formatting
Old 30th September 2023, 10:06   #30
BHPian

Not sure why all the negative comments. I actually quite like the package being offered and the price point is decent too. Yes a born EV would have been great but when you compare it to the other ICE converted to EV's - I think BMW has done a great job. I personally found the XC40 internally and especially the Head unit very bland and boring.

I went thru the specsheet but wasn't able to decipher if it has ventilated / heated seats along with the massage/anti-fatigue function? Does anyone know what it's called in BMW speak?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks