Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2023, 20:39   #106
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashvashist View Post
As you said, they are just to adjust regen levels. The car doesn't come to standstill at any regen level. Even at regen 3, it comes down to crawling speed and does not completely halt.
Missed opportunity by Tata! I was hoping for this functionality to come in the Nexon.EV. This was something I absolutely loved in the Kona EV, so much so that it introduces a new dimension of driving. Upon reaching a curve, just pull the right paddle, and the car slows down without even applying the brakes. Upon exiting, just release the paddle and bury the accelerator. It was so addictive. Even when approaching traffic stops, this was so intuitive. Wonder if Tata will be able to introduce this via software update.
GKR9900 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 1st October 2023, 20:47   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cresterk View Post
The reason to buy new electric cars is more for features and higher power rather than saving money.

If you want to go full accountant about it: Just put the same money in any kind of savings fund and it should generate enough returns that you never have to worry about fueling up your current car.
But the math changes for anyone buying on EMI

Little math that I did for buying Nexon .EV

Nexon DCA Delhi on road price - 15.85 L
Nexon EV LR Delhi on road price - 20.85 L
Diff - 5 L

My daily commute - 100km (bumper to bumper traffic with avg speed of 20km/hr)
Monthly commute - 2200km
Monthly fuel cost - Rs. 22000
Monthly Electricity cost - Rs. 2,500 (Max. Unit charge in Delhi is Rs. 8/unit. Units per charge =40. Price per charge = Rs. 320; 320/280 = Rs. 1.14/km)
If I have 4L for down payment, my EMI becomes for 5 years:
Petrol Nexon - Rs. 23,000
Ev Nexon - Rs. 35,000

Monthly expenditure:
Petrol Nexon - Rs. 45,000 pm
Ev Nexon - Rs. 37500 pm
I save 7500 pm with EV.
For 5 years, Savings become Rs. 4,50,000
Considering I will use it for 8 years only
For next 3 years, savings are 22,500 pm. => Rs. 8,10,000
Hence in 8 years of ownership, I would save Rs. 12,60,000

There are other variables such as Difference in insurance cost, service cost etc. I think they will cancel out each other and the savings amount is huge and 1L here and there won't make much of a difference.
Yashvashist is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2023, 07:04   #108

Hi, we had booked the Nexon ev facelift a few days back in Daytona grey. Since we wanted the delivery soon, the dealer was pushing for getting the allocation done, so we said to go ahead with it. But have paid only the booking amount of 21k. We went to see the car again yesterday and saw the oxide color for the first time. We were considering changing the color to this oxide one now. When we brought it up with the dealer, he was saying that the allocation is done and they have also invoiced the car so changing the color would mean forfeiting the TCS component of 19k. While we are still debating between the two Colors at home, I needed advice from the group on two things
1. Is it really true that the dealer could have allocated and invoiced the car with just the initial 21k advance or is he just trying to push us?
2. Since it’s only TCS that gets forfeited, shouldn’t one be able to adjust it against income tax later if the dealer gives the TCS certificate?

Thanks for the help.
Old 2nd October 2023, 08:44   #109
Senior - BHPian

Re: EV owners! What made you switch to electric?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocMaHi View Post
Budget only fits Nexon's long range fearless Daily commute is up to 50kms in total and sometimes with a fold-able wheelchair in the boot. Other cars into consideration are : Hyryder hybrid base variant, Altroz DCT , Baleno amt, i20 cvt, used City cvt if it can swallow the chair in the boot or something better that community suggests.
Please do not go in for hatchbacks and sedans if you're planning to take a wheelchair around. The hatchback boot is insufficient and you will have to split fold the rear seat to accommodate it. A sedan again might give you space for the chair but will not accommodate any luggage after. This, if you're a family of four with one wheelchair user.

I'm a part-time user and upgraded to a larger SUV for this exact reason. Also look at the convenience of hauling in the wheelchair over the rear bumper of the Nexon and Hyryder. The Hybrid might be lacking in boot space due to the battery pack.
discoverwild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:13   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khandujam View Post
1. Is it really true that the dealer could have allocated and invoiced the car with just the initial 21k advance or is he just trying to push us?
2. Since it’s only TCS that gets forfeited, shouldn’t one be able to adjust it against income tax later if the dealer gives the TCS certificate?

Thanks for the help.
The dealer is trying to pull a fast one. If the car has been allocated, ask him to show the proof. Once the car is billed, the TCS is collected and paid to the government and it would show up against your PAN while doing the IT returns. He is trying to again charge you a booking amount and would pocket the old booking money.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 10:38   #111
BHPian

A lovely car, checked it out at the nearby Tata showroom.

My only issue - it's technically a 2-seater for tall people like me!

As you'll see in the picture this is me in the back seat after I've adjusted the driver's seat for my driving position. My height is 6 2" and I am on the heavy side..and there is almost no place for me :(

2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-img_5253.jpeg

My knees are splayed out - I am not sitting with knees together just to be able to get into the back seat. But the biggest issue - look at my head. It hit the roof curve/bump while I was sitting due to the sunroof scoop it's so low.

Name:  Screenshot 20231003 at 10.31.04 AM.png
Views: 1390
Size:  67.3 KB

And the floor is high so I was almost squatting if I sat properly. I could only sit with my knees at this angle or I couldn't even get in. And I bumped my head on the slanting roof on the way out, even getting out from the driver's seat!

My father being almost my height and everyone in my family being tall and with back issues, it becomes a very unpractical car for me. My worry is on bad roads taller people in the back will be hitting their head on the roof if they are 6Ft plus.

And I was SO looking forward to an EV as my primary car..

Otherwise it's a great product. As people have mentioned very premium, the interiors in the display vehicle and the audio system very top notch. I took a TD of the Nexon EV Max since this one isn't available for TD just yet and the ride quality was very very good, almost Duster level. But it is kind of small for tall people like me I feel.
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-img_5248.jpeg  

2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-img_5249.jpeg  

2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-img_5251.jpeg  

Evyas is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:00   #112
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evyas View Post
A lovely car, checked it out at the nearby Tata showroom.

My only issue - it's technically a 2-seater for tall people like me!
Hey Evyas, I feel you are look at the wrong segment of cars (sub 4m) given your built and height. It actually gets a bit worse due to raised floor height of EV cars. I also have a family of tall members + well built and during one of our recent car hunts, we faced same issue even with cars like Q3, A4 etc. It is impossible for a tall person to sit behind 6 footer on most cars unless including rear head room. Only next segment of cars have the right dimensions to fit taller members.
supertinu is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 13:25   #113
anb
BHPian

Quote:
Range:
Now addressing elephant in the room
- I am getting a range of 280km while driving in traffic. And by traffic I mean an average speed of 15- 20km/hr, with AC on all the time. Average power consumption being 145wh/km.
- Didn't get a chance to drive in better conditions, but will update when I do. However, I saw significant drop in Power consumption while driving at 70km/h for 5 km. It went from 145 to 138 wh/km in just 5 km for a trip of 40km.
Actually you should get better range in traffic than driving at 70 kmph.
anb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:36   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
sorry that's just wrong info. You will get better range/efficiency when moving at constant speed rather than stopping, accelerating, stopping. And by constant speed, I mean at speed, where drag doesn't affect the vehicle performance, that's below 60kph.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 15:43   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by anb View Post
I am still very new to EV driving, but I have realised that in bumper to bumper traffic, mostly you move in crawl speed.
In crawl speed, regen doesn't apply and hence range takes a hit. This would still be better than ICE though.
Maybe in cars where regen can actually stop the vehicle it would be better, but in Nexon Ev 2023, it doesn't happen.
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:10   #116
BHPian

Quote:
But it is kind of small for tall people like me I feel.
As a fellow 6 footer, I agree that the LR model is unusable especially so for variants with a sunroof.

Do check out the MR models however once they hit showrooms. The MR's floor height is expected to be almost the same as the ICE version and hence is somewhat manageable. The mid range (fearless+) is without the sunroof and should give you better headroom.

Having said this. I do agree the most EVs don't seem to be designed for taller folks. I tried the EV6 and it was also uncomfortable due to a raised floor.
qaqa is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2023, 21:26   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertinu View Post
Hey Evyas, I feel you are look at the wrong segment of cars (sub 4m) given your built and height. It actually gets a bit worse due to raised floor height of EV cars. I also have a family of tall members + well built and during one of our recent car hunts, we faced same issue even with cars like Q3, A4 etc. It is impossible for a tall person to sit behind 6 footer on most cars unless including rear head room. Only next segment of cars have the right dimensions to fit taller members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by qaqa View Post
As a fellow 6 footer, I agree that the LR model is unusable especially so for variants with a sunroof.

Do check out the MR models however once they hit showrooms. The MR's floor height is expected to be almost the same as the ICE version and hence is somewhat manageable. The mid range (fearless+) is without the sunroof and should give you better headroom.

Having said this. I do agree the most EVs don't seem to be designed for taller folks. I tried the EV6 and it was also uncomfortable due to a raised floor.

You are right @supertinu, but the segment I was going for was the sub-20L!

Though I think even the new Nexon top variant has breached that now. The only car which has been OK in this category for me to sit and also for my dad in the back seat has been the XUV300, but the boot space and really old interiors made me wait for the facelift which I'm hoping is happening soon.

Hello @qaqa, fellow 6-footer! I love the idea of an EV and hence went to look at it hoping against hope it would work out but having tried the Nexon which seemed really compact I had low hopes. I have not taken a TD but sat in the Hyundai Kona and the MG ZS EV and they were quite strangely comfy for me. I think the Nexon design is a bit too angular/sloping for the back seat passengers.

And here I was thinking I am not THAT tall (I have a nephew who is 6.4"!!) But it's been an old problem of mine. When I first came to Mumbai, I couldn't fit in the front seat of the old Kaali Peeli Fiat Padminis and even in the back seat I had to sit slightly angled. And could sit comfortably only in the seat right behind the back entrance of the BEST buses - which I did for a few years and now have a permanent lower back problem since that seat used to be almost right next to the tyres so it was like riding a bucking horse on all bad roads!
Evyas is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 08:50   #118
BHPian

Quote:
My daily commute - 100km (bumper to bumper traffic with avg speed of 20km/hr)

Hence in 8 years of ownership, I would save Rs. 12,60,000
Agreed. Anyone with more than 30km of commute per day will spend less over 8 years with an EV than an ICE.

But this comparison doesn't make sense for me because I drive a bike to work. It'll take me 24 years to recover the extra cost of a city only vehicle :(

Last edited by kaushikduttajsr : 4th October 2023 at 08:56.
kaushikduttajsr is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 09:57   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Evyas, as someone has already suggested, you should test drive the medium range version, non sunroof model. I own a 2022 Nexon EV(30kWh) XZ+, and I am close to 5'11". My 6'1" friend is also comfortable in the car. However, do consider the car as per your usage pattern as the real world range is close to 200-210 kms in Mumbai's traffic.
AlphaKiloPapa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2023, 22:38   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Maybe skip electric and look at likes of mid range variants of safari, XUV700, Hector or Carens. They fit the bill surely from a size and comfort standpoint for tall families. I have a xuv500 and its unbeaten when it comes to space in front 2 rows.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks