Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2023, 15:25   #31
BHPian

Re: 2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_eel View Post
I agree this needs fixing particularly when the numbers increase.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wocanak View Post
The best it currently reaches is ~30 KW, this kind of huge gap between claimed max charging KW and actual charging KW is not there in other EVs.
I think the Citroen eC-3 is worst off since it does not have active cooling also. Temperature throttles the charging.
Saw this personally, at a charging station where it was charging at quite a low rate.
Solution - Pour water on the tarmac to cool it before you start charging...
But honestly, passive cooled cars better charge in shady areas or underground parking

EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 15:27   #32

Hi Aditya,

Big thanks for taking the Nexon EV for a spin. Your review rocks, We are planning to get this EV for my sister, your review helped us. We appreciate it. Happy Motoring

Regards,
Chassis Chatter
ChassisChatter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 15:47   #33
BANNED

The battery that Tata uses is the Gotion cylindrical cell and they have versions with 0.5C to 1C normal charge rate which translates to 15kw to 40kw respectively for Nexon Max. So they could try increasing to 40kw if they could further optimize cooling.

From the pictures of the battery pack posted in the older gen Nexon EV thread, the cooling is not evenly distributed to all cells nor is the cooling contact area covering large area of the cell. So by charging at a low speed they can get away with it.
aim120 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 16:08   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
The battery that Tata uses is the Gotion cylindrical cell and they have versions with 0.5C to 1C normal charge rate which translates to 15kw to 40kw respectively for Nexon Max. So they could try increasing to 40kw if they could further optimize cooling.
Actually, TATA charges them at 0.86C and the max speed that they could achieve is 31KW if the conditions permit. The reason for this is as you said cooling and the limitation of the LFP chemistry itself. Mahindra xuv400 can charge at full 50KW due to NMC Chemistry and MG zs manages 70KW for a short time and stays at around 50-55 throught which is commendable since MG also uses LFP from CATL iirc.
nithishsaba is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 18:53   #35
BHPian

New updated Nexon ev is really a desirable car now, especially for the city commuters. Its nice to see that they updated the laggy rotary dial and infotainment system. V2L and V2V are also very good feature to have.

However, I am very much heartbroken seeing the facelift features as I purchased I purchased a Nexon ev max in August. At the time of purchase, I also heard some rumours about Nexon ev facelift and I told that to the sales executive, but he said categorically that only ICE version is getting updates now and EV version will only be updated in next year !. If he doesn’t know he could have told so. Now I feel cheated by the dealership. It is not a good practice, as even if the vehicle is good, I don’t see myself buying from them again or recommending them to any of my friends or relatives in future.
rapid_fire is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 22:05   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapid_fire View Post
but he said categorically that only ICE version is getting updates now and EV version will only be updated in next year !. If he doesn’t know he could have told so. Now I feel cheated by the dealership. It is not a good practice, as even if the vehicle is good, I don’t see myself buying from them again or recommending them to any of my friends or relatives in future.
In general it is a bad idea to ask the dealer about the facelift/upcoming models as they will not tell anything that would reduce the chances of selling the current stock. I would even go to the extent of saying, don't believe anything they say at the face value (always better to validate with other sources).
Guna is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 22:40   #37
BHPian

Quote:

However, I am very much heartbroken seeing the facelift features as I purchased I purchased a Nexon ev max in August. At the time of purchase, I also heard some rumours about Nexon ev facelift and I told that to the sales executive, but he said categorically that only ICE version is getting updates now and EV version will only be updated in next year !. If he doesn’t know he could have told so. Now I feel cheated by the dealership. It is not a good practice, as even if the vehicle is good, I don’t see myself buying from them again or recommending them to any of my friends or relatives in future.

Don't worry mate! Even i am on the same boat, got my nexon max delivered last month but however i decided not to wait for the facelift. The reason being the max being an year old car still has many bugs in the infotainment and the instrument cluster. So imagine the number of bugs in the new cluster, even the infotainment froze in many youtube review videos. Also tata will increase the price for the facelift. The grass is greener on this side too.
nithishsaba is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th September 2023, 23:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
New updated Nexon ev is really a desirable car now, especially for the city commuters. Its nice to see that they updated the laggy rotary dial and infotainment system. V2L and V2V are also very good feature to have.

Am sorry for what you had to go through. Buying a new car only for a significant upgrade to arrive a couple of months later hurts a ton.

I am surprised you went by the SA's word as they are the last ppl who have any idea/remotely believable.

It was common knowledge since 3 months that the Nexon was getting a major upgrade across the board. A look at our Forum discussions would have confirmed that. I dissuaded atleast a couple of my friends to wait for the upgraded EV.

I would still suggest not to lose heart as it's still the same Battery and figures nearly and you would have got it for a really good price. The new Nexon is expected to be more costlier than it's predecessor.
Flash777 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 00:13   #39
AZT
BHPian

Maybe the design will grow on me but I'm not liking it yet. I liked the old rear better.
Old 14th September 2023, 00:53   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is the motor, BCM and battery pack manufactured locally now? Or are their Chinese vendors still the default suppliers who will rub their hands in glee anticipating more exports to us?

Seeing a lot of battery pack complaints from many EV owners on social media makes me wonder who would want to buy one in the used market?
I just saw a scrap dealer online trying to sell an e20 that has failed battery pack and Mahindra was allegedly asking 4.5 lakhs plus to replace it since its out of warranty.
Old 14th September 2023, 01:23   #41
BHPian

Good review guys!! Came across this range test:

MID displays avg. consumption for the trip in 'Wh/km' which is very useful.
Drive was 30% city, 70% highway cruising @70km/h with AC on all the time until it went into low battery mode.
Initial 20% drive in City mode, then Eco mode for the rest of journey.
Regen was level 3 in city and level 1 on highway.
Final range: 311km with 3% battery left and avg. consumption 126Wh/km which is great and much improved over EV Max
With AC off, ECO mode all the time, it might reach 350km in similar usage.
TATA did a great job with this update.
Screenshot of the end of trip:
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-capture.jpg  

Last edited by ramotra3 : 14th September 2023 at 01:25.
ramotra3 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 10:38   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramotra3 View Post
Drive was 30% city, 70% highway cruising @70km/h with AC on all the time
Yes this range test is pretty good and he was not cruising at 70 kmph all the time. For the initial part, he was driving well beyond 90 as well. Screen grab from the video below. So it was a very natural drive, not a range conscious drive

While driving at these speeds also, he was getting 3 km per % SOC range which is quite good.

2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-screenshot-20230914-101614.png
ferrarirules is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th September 2023, 10:58   #43
GST
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
New Nexon.ev launch tomorrow at 12:20pm.

Attachment 2502916
Those vertical and slanting lines in the front grill are eyesore to me: Probably one single reason to discount it for many.
Old 14th September 2023, 11:29   #44
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GST View Post
Those vertical and slanting lines in the front grill are eyesore to me: Probably one single reason to discount it for many.
Very much inspired by the Lexus brand where you'll find plenty such lines.
Old 14th September 2023, 11:43   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Yes this range test is pretty good and he was not cruising at 70 kmph all the time. For the initial part, he was driving well beyond 90 as well. Screen grab from the video below. So it was a very natural drive, not a range conscious drive
I beg to differ here, the speed is displayed in the right side of the screen and range is in the left side. He was hovering around 40 to 70 is what my understanding, so not sure what will be the range if one cruizes at 90 KMPH
Attached Thumbnails
2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-capture1.jpg  

2023 Tata Nexon.EV Review-capture2.jpg  

Last edited by vvivek85 : 14th September 2023 at 11:51. Reason: Typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks