Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd November 2023, 20:27   #91
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volvo C40 Recharge Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
On the other hand, Ioniq is a very capable full on family car, plush quality materials, space et al. But it never gave the 'electric punch' while driving. So thats the trade off with Ioniq. (The humble Nexon is much more 'electrifying' to drive than the Ioniq)
Power on the C40 is addictive, but would have preferred couple of drive modes to use the power according to one's preferences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohanphadnis View Post
I think you mean Kia Ev6, Ioniq 5 is almost 17l cheaper than C40 recharge. Kia Ev6 AWD is only 3l more than C40 recharge.
But it is also marginally slower than C40, 5.2s against 4.7s for 0-100 time. C40 does have the bragging right of being a sub 5s car.
I was comparing C40 to Ioniq5, for my driving requirements and preferences ,I would choose Ioniq5 over EV6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
The normal default mode does have some softer order regen. The power meter on the right side in the console shows the regeneration taking place as you brake but interestingly not when you coast to a stop. I agree the one pedal regeneration is too strong to be practical.
There is regen even in C40 in normal mode, but the regen starts only after a slight tap of the brake pedal. While other EVs start regenerating as soon as the foot is off the throttle pedal.

I was more keen on C40 over the Ioniq5 or EV6 as the other two do not fit in my parking space which has the charging point. C40 fits in a bit of a gap which is useful to move to plug the charging cable. But the lack of rear space is a deal breaker for me.

Last edited by speedmiester : 23rd November 2023 at 20:30.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 14:55   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
I have seen every major YouTube channel about this car and found the following common opinions. The owners may share their experience for contextualised assessment for India:
1. Interior space isn't bad whatsoever contrary to the small exterior footprint
2. The cabin is not as quiet as you would expect at this price point
3. The car feels overpriced for what it offers in comparison to competitors
4. Android automotive is not very good other than the route planning
It's been difficult to get a fair handle from scavenging YouTube because most reviews that are uploaded are of the older powertrain. Very few of the updated one that we get in the c40 in India. So range and charging speeds that are said to have improved are not covered by automotive media on YT. Even when they say 2023 it's not what we have. For others too, please search for 2024 model only. Even more difficult to spot the right one because the exterior and interior are exactly the same.
Regarding overpriced, this is among starting models in Volvo, hence it will not fully be comparable feature wise to say Ionic/EV6 which are among the more premium priced models in those brands. But the combination feels quite good, and yeah the price is bit high, but it ultimately is quite subjective based on what you are looking for.

I feel the Android Auto/Carplay/Automotive have 2 major purposes for most folks - Navigation and Music. Automotive services those 2 purposes beautifully, and better so for EVs because they show you the range estimation upon arrival. Which I have found in my experience to be quite useful and close to accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Took a test drive of Volvo C40 recharge today. I couldn’t drive it on the highways, it was a short 10kms drive within the city.
Few positives
- Fit and finish, quality of materials as expected for Volvo
- More power and battery range. AWD on demand

Negatives
- Space is at a big premium, while the front passengers space is adequate, the space at the back is lacking big time.
- Upright rear seats will not be comfortable for long drives. It cannot accommodate the 5th passenger because of prominent hump in the middle.
- Most of the controls are through touch screen and this is a big disadvantage for me.
- No regen modes, it’s either one pedal drive which is quite strong or no regen at all.
- No drive modes on offer as well.

All in all, C40 turned out to be a disappointment. I would rather save money and go in for Ioniq5 than C40 any day.
I'd rather say it's good that it doesn't actively regen because it's rather inefficient.
C40 regens when you hit the brake, even if slightly, it recovers the energy and charges the battery. Basically only when you actually want the car to slow down. This means once you lift your foot from the accelerator, you can simply coast, unlike active regen where the car starts slowing down so that the car can regen even if you don't necessarily need to slow down. But is this always needed? If you want to just coast then regen is unnecessarily slowing you down.
Old 24th November 2023, 15:04   #93

Since there were a few mentions of the Volvo app, adding screenshots of what the app on Android can do

Volvo C40 Recharge Review-904c90d8b4ce4528acef46a4e41b8f66.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-e48a45b141694fa197ee056ec52b5ef0.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-9316e0aee9684cd4b87065cb279b2b81.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-79728040011945a29a4230ca3469ee15.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-d21fbe345aa14f88b55fb32034e26a51.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-9baa274c037844f2b50a18fe549e9337.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-25cf6f0aaa89486fb56a772256a8ed3a.jpgVolvo C40 Recharge Review-66b3c425e22a4bac83e286295d3e86c0.jpg
Yashraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th November 2023, 14:58   #94
BHPian

Just wondering whether the glass roof is an issue in the afternoon. They say it's a special glass that cuts uv but even then it may make the car extra warm. Any curtain or accessory available for this?
Old 30th November 2023, 15:25   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Just wondering whether the glass roof is an issue in the afternoon. They say it's a special glass that cuts uv but even then it may make the car extra warm. Any curtain or accessory available for this?
Yes, it's available. But it costs 25K from Volvo.
speedmiester is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2023, 12:49   #96

Quote:
I had the EXACT concern going into the purchase. Figured I'd deal with it if it becomes an issue.

But having spent more than a month now with the car, including afternoon drives in Bombay, I haven't felt the need to cover it.

I don't know how it would be during summer months, but honestly, I think it's not required. I don't feel the heat on myself due to the roof, rather I do feel the direct heat from the sunrays coming from the windscreen
Yashraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:07   #97
BHPian

Quote:
I live in Chennai and we are in the monsoon season now. Yesterday we took our MG ZS EV out for lunch. Because it was raining, we had the sunroof cover open but the sunroof itself closed. The car was parked in the open and while we were having lunch the rain ended and the sun was out. When we got into the car after lunch the car was hot. When the sunroof cover is closed the car is considerably cooler.

The MG doesn't have a solid opaque cover for the sunroof, it is made of translucent fabric.

If you regularly park the car out in the afternoon, think twice about buying this car.
Chrome6Boy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2023, 11:25   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrome6Boy View Post
I live in Chennai and we are in the monsoon season now. Yesterday we took our MG ZS EV out for lunch. Because it was raining, we had the sunroof cover open but the sunroof itself closed. The car was parked in the open and while we were having lunch the rain ended and the sun was out. When we got into the car after lunch the car was hot. When the sunroof cover is closed the car is considerably cooler.

The MG doesn't have a solid opaque cover for the sunroof, it is made of translucent fabric.

If you regularly park the car out in the afternoon, think twice about buying this car.
Thank you for sharing your experience. I think the c40 glass is made differently to manage this better. It's not even the same as xc40 which comes with a cover.
Old 31st January 2024, 17:16   #99
Senior - BHPian

If it weren’t for the fire..

The data below from the latest issue of Autocar India speaks for itself. Faster than a Tuned Ford Mustang, 2023 M340i, Tuned GTI, BMW 745i and several others including Tuned RS230, the C40 is a veritable sheep in wolf’s clothing.

The only cars faster than it are the Nissan GT-R, AMG 63S, Tuned RS6, Tuned M3 and similar.

Hope Volvo clarifies early.

Source: Autocar India
Attached Thumbnails
Volvo C40 Recharge Review-18f6d0cac53245e98342efb5544c8d4d.jpeg  

AMG Power is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 17:31   #100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
If

The data below from the latest issue of Autocar India speaks for itself. Faster than a Tuned Ford Mustang, 2023 M340i, Tuned GTI, BMW 745i and several others including Tuned RS230, the C40 is a veritable sheep in wolf’s clothing.

Hope Volvo clarifies early.

Source: Autocar India
The Volvo Recharge is an AWD.
Im sure the Kia EV6 AWD will also show similar results. It is honestly teeth blisteringly fast as per my experience. The traction and grip and ‘stickiness’ afforded by the AWD has to be experienced to be believed. Like the difference between a sprinter’s performance while wearing running shoes and and while wearing spikes.
Indeed I hope Volvo clarify this fire business early.
Old 31st January 2024, 18:07   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The Volvo Recharge is an AWD.
Im sure the Kia EV6 AWD will also show similar results. It is honestly teeth blisteringly fast as per my experience. The traction and grip and ‘stickiness’ afforded by the AWD has to be experienced to be believed. Like the difference between a sprinter’s performance while wearing running shoes and and while wearing spikes.
Indeed I hope Volvo clarify this fire business early.
The EV6 figures are also shown in the data above.

Have driven the EV6, its smoother, acceleration is linear, progress is fast but manageable.

The Volvo on the other hand is on the edge of being brutal and needs skill to be driven fast.

The EV6 is more easily controlled and is far more forgiving than the C40. The Volvo is not meant for the faint hearted when driven fast.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 20:44   #102
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Do you mean a wolf in sheep's clothing? :-)
- proud, spoilt C40 owner
V.Narayan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 21:50   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Do you mean a wolf in sheep's clothing? :-)
- proud, spoilt C40 owner
Haha..problems with multitasking.. As I write this, am on a conference call and in the midst of a serious discussion.

Enjoy your C40!!
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2024, 21:40   #104

Have paid the advance for my white C40 recharge. Will get it in maybe 2 weeks time. Excited …

How is the real world range with C40 recharge?

Last edited by Turbanator : 7th May 2024 at 08:57. Reason: Back to Back posts merged.
thecarman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2024, 07:26   #105

Got My C40 recharge. The power on tap is out of the world. One pedal drive is really intuitive. There is a low speed front suspension noise in rough roads. Seems it is present in all C40s. The dealer has promised an updated part by 1 week. Hope it will sort out the issue. Otherwise extremely happy with the drive.
thecarman is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks