Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2023, 08:54   #61
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volvo C40 Recharge Review

I don't think Volvo was stupid to set 180 kmph limit. They know their customers and they believe, correctly IMO, that setting such a limit makes the spec sheet more appealing to their customers. Strange as it may seem but it's a point to brag about for the brand and its customers. Of course, they will surely lose few customers but I think it's a huge net positive for Volvo considering their core brand identity is around safety.
androdev is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 16th October 2023, 10:48   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Actually no.

My reference was to having a high performance car with this limit.
Well, ,my post was also in reference to your earlier post of pro's and con's as well and what I meant was the same.
Thanks for the titbit on the speed limits of all Volvo's cars. That was news.

Last edited by tharian : 16th October 2023 at 10:55.
Old 17th October 2023, 04:41   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMG Power View Post
Actually no. All Volvo cars including their ICE cars are limited to 180 kmph. Volvo took a decison to limit the top speed of all their cars to 180kmph a few years ago in the interests of promoting the safety quotient associated with the brand. Polestars are an exception and has been spun off as a separate company.
The decision came in mid 2020 and Volvo claim all 2021 models and there-after have been limited to 180 km/h (or 112 mph).

I'm pretty sure I've taken my 2020 XC90 past 200 km/h. The 2020s had a limit of 243 km/h.

PS: I do not endorse speeding nor violation of any local laws, please drive responsibly.
Old 17th October 2023, 08:18   #64
Senior - BHPian

Volvo’s dissociation with Polestar:

The sensuous 2015 Polestar S60

Volvo C40 Recharge Review-f80ef6f1cc6b4191adcbea7f8affb8cc.jpeg

The 2023 Polestar 2 with the Polestar logo alone

Volvo C40 Recharge Review-478af414f3ff4ee2a8f44aaa36bccf19.jpeg

Volvo C40 Recharge Review-2421bd7b8984467094ed568f611cde19.jpeg

Last edited by AMG Power : 17th October 2023 at 08:25.
AMG Power is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2023, 17:11   #65
Senior - BHPian

Off Topic, but in case you are interested to know about this 180 mph Volvo implementation, here is the press release and Tbhp thread about the same.

Key excerpt from Volvo press release:
Quote:
The problem with speeding is that above certain speeds, in-car safety technology and smart infrastructure design are no longer enough to avoid severe injuries and fatalities in the event of an accident.

Research shows that on average, people have poor understanding of the dangers around speeding. As a result, many people often drive too fast and have poor speed adaption in relation to the traffic situation.
https://www.media.volvocars.com/glob...t-and-care-key

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/road-...d-limiter.html (All Volvo cars now come with a 180 km/h speed limiter)
Old 6th November 2023, 13:08   #66

Got the C40 roughly 2 weeks back, since then I've driven it from Mumbai to Pune and back, and within Mumbai city.

It's an absolutely delightful car to drive. Since others have already discussed pros/cons, I will simply add a bit on the range of the car since that has not been covered extensively yet -

1. This is my first EV, so perhaps this was new for me, might not be for others, that frequent shorter trips = less total range. This is mainly due to energy spent on cooling the car repeatedly.
2. My intra-city trips are typically less than 5km, and with that the estimate of range for me as 350 km.
3. If I was even slightly careful about my driving style, it was not difficult to extract a range of 450 km or higher from the car even when driving on highways. This is considering a speed of +100 km/h.
4. One pedal drive results in less efficiency, as opposed to what the dealership will tell you. It really eliminates a lot of the pain that comes with the bumper to bumper traffic on Mumbai roads.

Other notes:
1. The glass roof without any internal cover is pretty good. Barely any heat gets through, and there's no glare through it.
2. There's no "HOLD" option which even basic cars nowadays have. Instead the dealership will say it has something better - "One pedal drive". Yes, it kind of works that way, but it's definitely not a clear substitute. So you are left with shifting the gear to "P".
3. Mobile app is quite decent. Initially had some issue where the app wouldn't update the car's status, but re-pairing resolved it. I like the option to set a timer to cool the car on pre-determined days of the week at my chosen time. This option is missing in the XC60.

Let me know if anyone has any other questions pertaining to the C40.
Yashraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 10:29   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yashraj View Post
Got the C40 roughly 2 weeks back, since then I've driven it from Mumbai to Pune and back, and within Mumbai city.
Let me know if anyone has any other questions pertaining to the C40.
Thank you Yashraj for updating the thread. I believe there is growing interest in the c40, myself included. These owner reports help a lot. Just a few points for clarification:

1. I recall having experienced the auto-hold function during the TD. I think you have to depress the break twice.
2. The xc40 drivetrain has reports of some vibration at speeds 100-120 through the steering. Another owner said it is not significant. International forums have raised the issue in large numbers with no resolution from Volvo. I do remember reading that the new drivetrain (one in c40 in India) does not have this issue. Could you confirm this please.
3. The range seems promising and definitely brings it closer to the EV6 compared to the XC40.
4. Does Android automotive in the infotainment make Android auto redundant? Also, it would help to know if Carplay and Android Auto are wired or wireless in your car?

Enjoy your new ride. Feels like this is the performance bargain at the moment!

Last edited by graaja : 8th November 2023 at 10:34. Reason: Trimming quoted text, capitalisation.
nmn.070 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 15:23   #68
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
4. One pedal drive results in less efficiency, as opposed to what the dealership will tell you. It really eliminates a lot of the pain that comes with the bumper to bumper traffic on Mumbai roads.
Thank you for your inputs. Please could you clarify this statement. I thought that one pedal through its extra regenerative capabilities increases the efficiency of the car ie gives you greater range on the same battery. Thanks.

What has been your experience with one pedal driving. I found it a risky business because my leg's auto reflex muscle memory is tuned for two pedal driving and I found myself taking the foot off the accelerator too often in reflex mode leading to a sudden super rapid dangerous de-acceleration. As the car I might drive can change twice in a day I decided to opt out of the one pedal drive.
Old 8th November 2023, 15:44   #69
BHPian

Quote:
2. There's no "HOLD" option which even basic cars nowadays have. Instead the dealership will say it has something better - "One pedal drive". Yes, it kind of works that way, but it's definitely not a clear substitute. So you are left with shifting the gear to "P".
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
1. I recall having experienced the auto-hold function during the TD. I think you have to depress the break twice.
I have the C40 and can confirm what nmn has mentioned here that by pressing the brake pedal twice the Hold function gets activated and an H appears on the Instrument Panel. Hope it helps
curiosity is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 16:55   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post
Thank you for your inputs. Please could you clarify this statement. I thought that one pedal through its extra regenerative capabilities increases the efficiency of the car ie gives you greater range on the same battery. Thanks.

What has been your experience with one pedal driving. I found it a risky business because my leg's auto reflex muscle memory is tuned for two pedal driving and I found myself taking the foot off the accelerator too often in reflex mode leading to a sudden super rapid dangerous de-acceleration. As the car I might drive can change twice in a day I decided to opt out of the one pedal drive.
Coasting is ALWAYS better than regen braking and reaccelerating. So, when you use one pedal driving there is too much of regen braking and reacceleration. When you apply the brakes anyway it uses full capacity of regen before applying the friction brakes. So, less regen and braking when needed is more efficient than complete 1 pedal driving.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 16:55   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmn.070 View Post
Thank you Yashraj for updating the thread. I believe there is growing interest in the c40, myself included. These owner reports help a lot. Just a few points for clarification:

2. The xc40 drivetrain has reports of some vibration at speeds 100-120 through the steering. Another owner said it is not significant. International forums have raised the issue in large numbers with no resolution from Volvo. I do remember reading that the new drivetrain (one in c40 in India) does not have this issue. Could you confirm this please.
3. The range seems promising and definitely brings it closer to the EV6 compared to the XC40.
4. Does Android automotive in the infotainment make Android auto redundant? Also, it would help to know if Carplay and Android Auto are wired or wireless in your car?

Enjoy your new ride. Feels like this is the performance bargain at the moment!
1. I've got to check this out then because I didn't see any "HOLD" or "(A)" button, like the one in my XC60. Even the sales guy said HOLD is not there, and instead suggested One-pedal drive
I will update this thread once I have tried it.

2. Just yesterday I'd my C40 sent to the workshop due to some issues with a faint noise in suspension, especially when the car goes through potholes. Workshop insists there's no issue, and it is normal operations noise.

3. Yes, it's definitely a promising range. But the car is still new for me, so I am sure I will get a better idea in the long term.

4. I think so. Unless you use some very specific Android Auto apps.. which are still not supported in Automotive then only it's an issue. I have found the following benefits of Android Automotive:
a. Depending on the car, with Android Auto you may need wire (my Superb needed wire, while Jeep Compass is wireless) but with Automotive you don't.
b. Google Maps, Spotify, YT Music, Waze are available on Automotive, along with Plugshare. I doubt I'll need any app beyond Maps and Spotify personally.
c. Phone battery does not drain (when wireless) nor does the phone heat up, both of which have been an issue for me with Android Auto.
d. G Maps can given you an indication of what battery level I'll have when I reach my destination AND back. That is pretty helpful.

Sorry but I don't have any iPhone hence haven't tried CarPlay. About Android Auto, I haven't checked. I am not even sure if it's there tbh because I have never even been prompted to connect to it, even when my phone has been connected via the wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by V.Narayan View Post

You are right about regen. But one pedal drive often regens even when there's ample of space ahead of you. In "ON" mode, it's quite aggressive, hence you are losing all the inertia the car has built up, which you otherwise wouldn't. But with/without one-pedal 400-450km range is still possible.

Frankly I am with you here on muscle memory, which is why I only use it for heavy traffic situations as I don't want to build a habit, for the same reasons you mentioned. It can be quite risky when driving other cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiosity View Post
I have the C40 and can confirm what nmn has mentioned here that by pressing the brake pedal twice the Hold function gets activated and an H appears on the Instrument Panel. Hope it helps
I will certainly check this out. Thanks for pointing it out.
Yashraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 17:08   #72
BHPian

Quote:
1. I've got to check this out then because I didn't see any "HOLD" or "(A)" button, like the one in my XC60. Even the sales guy said HOLD is not there, and instead suggested One-pedal drive
I will update this thread once I have tried it.

The petrol Volvos have an 'Auto Hold' button but the c40 does not. You have to double tap the brake. It's a pretty silly mode of implementing the function.
nidhikapoor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 17:34   #73
Senior - BHPian

There is no clear substitute when it comes for One Pedal drive (Or for that matter - regenerative braking). Best would be to use these dynamically according to the situation for the best results. This could be one of the reason car manufacturers are giving the regenerative intensity selection in the form of paddle shifters.

For eg;
If the section of the drive demands lots of coasting opportunities (Like less traffic, relatively easy to navigate stretches), one can opt for the least regenerative option and take advantage of the vehicle momentum.

Now, if the situation demands frequent start and stops, we can increase the regenerative level to one pedal and make use of DC motor braking (aka using the motor as a generator) thereby converting the braking energy back to electric.
sarathlal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2023, 18:02   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You are right about regen. But one pedal drive often regens even when there's ample of space ahead of you. In "ON" mode, it's quite aggressive, hence you are losing all the inertia the car has built up, which you otherwise wouldn't. But with/without one-pedal 400-450km range is still possible.

Frankly I am with you here on muscle memory, which is why I only use it for heavy traffic situations as I don't want to build a habit, for the same reasons you mentioned. It can be quite risky when driving other cars.
My limited 500 kms experience on my C40 indicates that with my driving style range on a theoretical full charge to full discharge is around 450 to 475 kms at best. I am charging only to 90% and not to 100% and plugging in at 30% - between 90% and 30% I get about 280 to 300 kms which for me is good enough. In normal times that would mean plugging in about every 7 days. I have taken a firm call to stay off one-pedal and preserve my auto reflexes and muscle memory. My other car is a Lexus ES300h - hybrid-automatic so need to have identical driving habits for both.

Last edited by V.Narayan : 8th November 2023 at 18:04.
Old 9th November 2023, 10:38   #75
BHPian

Quote:
4. I think so. Unless you use some very specific Android Auto apps.. which are still not supported in Automotive then only it's an issue. I have found the following benefits of Android Automotive:
a. Depending on the car, with Android Auto you may need wire (my Superb needed wire, while Jeep Compass is wireless) but with Automotive you don't.
b. Google Maps, Spotify, YT Music, Waze are available on Automotive, along with Plugshare. I doubt I'll need any app beyond Maps and Spotify personally.
c. Phone battery does not drain (when wireless) nor does the phone heat up, both of which have been an issue for me with Android Auto.
d. G Maps can given you an indication of what battery level I'll have when I reach my destination AND back. That is pretty helpful.
That's a fair assessment of it. And quite surprised to know the variety of apps available for touring needs. I guess that we just connect the phone via bluetooth for calls and use the inbuilt system for all else. Am I missing anything in this?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks