Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2023, 10:33   #1
Senior - BHPian

Honda wants its EVs to weigh 50% less, but offer the same range in the future

Speaking to the media at the Monterey Car Week, Honda executives have stated that the carmaker aims to cut battery weight on EVs by half without sacrificing real-world range.

Honda wants its EVs to weigh 50% less, but offer the same range in the future-hondaev.jpg

Jay Joseph, VP of Sustainability & Business Development, Honda America, mentioned that the answer to improving EVs isn't increasing the battery size but rather reducing the weight and speeding up charging times. He said, "The conventional thinking has been, if people are concerned about the range of the vehicle, then the answer is to put more battery in it. And of course that gets you into this spiral of cost, weight and dimensional return." He added, "At some point, more battery doesn’t help."

Joseph stated that one way of achieving their target is via solid-state batteries - capable of charging quicker than the conventional lithium-ion packs. Honda is already said to be in the proof-of-concept stage with solid-state batteries. Joseph also mentioned that the answer to range anxiety isn't larger & heavier batteries but better access to charging. He stated that once charging infrastructure improves, there is no need for a 600-mile BEV.

Shinji Aoyama, VP & Global Electrification Chief, Honda, explained that with solid-state batteries, the weight of the EVs would be halved. Aoyama says that while the weight is reduced by half, the energy density and volume base remain the same.

Also, current battery packs take up the entire floor of EVs. However, once solid-state batteries are implemented there could be a lot more floor space in future Honda EVs.

Source: TheDrive

Link to Team-BHP news
RahulNagaraj is online now   (14) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 12:23   #2
BHPian

Re: Honda wants its EVs to weigh 50% less, but offer the same range in the future

"I will believe it when I see it" is the phrase at the tip of my tongue. Toyota has also been working on solid State batteries for about half a decade at this point and now Honda has joined in the octagon of battery tech. It's about time the Japanese companies show us something tangible instead of all this smoke and mirrors talk that is curated for the investors.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 24th August 2023 at 12:26. Reason: minor typos
Nikhildrao is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:07   #3
BHPian

Re: Honda wants its EVs to weigh 50% less, but offer the same range in the future

The Japanese OEMs and their proof of concepts always amuse me. It is hydrogen here, solid state battery there, but never a proper EV (250-300km real world range) in production yet.

Buillding automobiles since

Toyota - 1936
Honda - 1963
Nissan - 1914
Mitsubishi - 1917
Mazda - 1931

No. of EV models in production at the moment by all of them combined : Countable with 2 hands

Last edited by carthick1000 : 24th August 2023 at 14:09.
carthick1000 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 14:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carthick1000 View Post
The Japanese OEMs and their proof of concepts always amuse me. It is hydrogen here, solid state battery there, but never a proper EV (250-300km real world range) in production yet.
I think the Nissan Ariya is a pretty decent car (haven't driven it, though). But I agree that the others are not up to the mark.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 15:11   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
I think the Nissan Ariya is a pretty decent car (haven't driven it, though).
While writing my previous post, I was almost putting it in brackets as an exception, but remembered the article of Electrive few months ago about how (in)convenient and (im)practical is to live with an Ariya as an EV. They seem to have learnt some things from the Leaf, but did a half ass job with fixing those issues from Leaf.

Though Nissan is Off-topic, here is the link.
carthick1000 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks