Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2023, 14:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing

A Tesla Model Y has been spotted inside Mahindra's test facility in Pune, which indicates that the carmaker is benchmarking its upcoming electric SUVs against the Model Y.

Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing-download.jpg

The Model Y is a crossover based on the Model 3 and comes in a 5 or 7-seat configuration. It looks almost similar to the Model 3 and shares 75% of its components with the sedan. However, it has a raised ride height and some minor design changes.

Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing-download-1.jpg

The Model Y comes with a single or dual-motor setup. Depending on the variant, the car can accelerate from 0-100 km/h in 3.5 - 6.0 seconds.

Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing-download-2.jpg

The Tesla Model Y was the world's best-selling EV in 2022. Tesla sold 7,45,500 units, registering a massive 91% increase compared to the previous year.

Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing-download-3.jpg

Source: Carversal

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is online now   (27) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 18:11   #2
BHPian

Re: Pics: Tesla Model Y inside Mahindra R&D premises for benchmarking & testing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
A Tesla Model Y has been spotted inside Mahindra's test facility in Pune, which indicates that the carmaker is benchmarking its upcoming electric SUVs against the Model Y.

Attachment 2492992
Did the package get damaged in shipment?

On a more serious note, absolutely can’t wait to see future Mahindra EVs hit the roads!
ADI7YAK is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 22:22   #3
BHPian

This is great, if true. Mahindra benchmarked the XUV700 against the Kodiaq and it turned out to be a great product. Can't wait to see what Mahindra achieves this time!
3WiseMen is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 22:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADI7YAK View Post
Did the package get damaged in shipment?
Cars used for R&D are generally taken apart and put together multiple times to completely understand how it works. Some lucky test driver probably already pushed it to the limit on their track to help their engineers understand it's strengths and limitations better
Cresterk is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 22:39   #5
BHPian

Is that A RIGHT HAND DRIVE Tesla? Didn't Tesla announce that they are never going to make any Right Hand Drive cars? Here is a story I found on Autocar UK - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...social%20media.

If that is the case then from where and how did this Right Hand Drive make its way to the Mahindra plant?

Is Tesla going to partner with Mahindra and manufacture right hand drive cars at their plant? That would be the most awesome partnership. And then I woke up...

Last edited by Maverick1977 : 20th August 2023 at 22:44.
Maverick1977 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 23:37   #6
BHPian

Benchmarking is all fine, but I sincerely hope they don't put EVERYTHING into the screen - like Tesla.
Physical buttons are needed for safe driving - since you have to take your eyes off the road to navigate the screen to, let's say, get to the menu where you can just reduce the AC temperature - which could be done mich safely via physical buttons and muscle memory.
Dcsastudent is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 23:38   #7
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
Is that A RIGHT HAND DRIVE Tesla? Didn't Tesla announce that they are never going to make any Right Hand Drive cars? Here is a story I found on Autocar UK - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...social%20media.
That was only for the Model S and X if I am correct.

Most manufacturers import test and tear down their competitors cars to understand more in terms f cost, design and supply chain.

An anecdote was that Ford in the 1960's dismantled a Mini and found that it cost more to make than to sell
ajmat is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 05:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

If that is the case then from where and how did this Right Hand Drive make its way to the Mahindra plant?
Right hand drive Teslas are sold aplenty in Australia, so no surprise there. Infact, the Model 3 and Model Y are among the most popular sellers in their segment in Australia.
benbsb29 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 07:25   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Kudos to Mahindra for doing what the rest of the industry is also doing but Tesla is an incredibly hard act to follow. Unless they are spend big on R&D and vertical integration, they barely have a chance and they certainly need to look beyond India if they want to be internationally competitive. Look at VW or even volume Chinese manufacturers, even they cant really compete.

Quote:
Is that A RIGHT HAND DRIVE Tesla? Didn't Tesla announce that they are never going to make any Right Hand Drive cars? Here is a story I found on Autocar UK - https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/tesla-customers-cancel-orders-after-rhd-model-s-model-x-sales-stop#:~:text=Tesla's%20announcement%20on%2012,thei r%20shock%20on%20social%20media.

That was just Model S and X not 3 and Y. It says that in the article that you referred. Not sure where the confusion coming from?

Quote:
Is Tesla going to partner with Mahindra and manufacture right hand drive cars at their plant? That would be the most awesome partnership. And then I woke up...
I dont think Tesla has, or ever, will partner with a local manufacturer simply because there are no synergies at all. The only thing common between a Tesla and an ICE vehicle are wheels and to some extent suspension. Everything else is completely different including and most importantly manufacturing. Tesla is already a master at building profitably at scale and vertical integration and they keep improving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcsastudent View Post
Benchmarking is all fine, but I sincerely hope they don't put EVERYTHING into the screen - like Tesla.
Physical buttons are needed for safe driving - since you have to take your eyes off the road to navigate the screen to, let's say, get to the menu where you can just reduce the AC temperature - which could be done mich safely via physical buttons and muscle memory.
It is a dual edged sword. Clearly marked physical buttons mean the functionality is locked forever. Tesla on the other hand is introducing new features in their cars all the time including wholesale change to the software interface. It is similar to blackberry vs iPhone - yes it had a qwerty keyboard which people thought they liked but we all know what happened.

Also, I drive a Model Y Performance and after the initial learning curve majorly to know where which setting was, everything is a breeze now. Infact most of the functionality of the car can simply be controlled via voice commands and they work really well in a Tesla. I have rarely ever touched A/C controls while driving - I just command the car to turn on or off or set the temperature.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st August 2023 at 07:30.
extreme_torque is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 09:56   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Is that A RIGHT HAND DRIVE Tesla? Didn't Tesla announce that they are never going to make any Right Hand Drive cars?
That's only for the Models S & X. RHD model 3s and Ys are very popular in their respective markets. My cousin actually owns a RHD model 3 in the UK!
dragracer567 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 12:04   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post

It is a dual edged sword. Clearly marked physical buttons mean the functionality is locked forever. Tesla on the other hand is introducing new features in their cars all the time including wholesale change to the software interface. It is similar to blackberry vs iPhone - yes it had a qwerty keyboard which people thought they liked but we all know what happened.
There is a solution I think. Have a bunch of rotating & bunch of press buttons. These can be made 'configurable' as per user's needs.

In all likelihood, there will be external vendors (like the aftermarket HU, cruise control, extra lights, IRVMs, etc.) who can provide this by connecting to the system.
OEMs may allow non-critical systems like media, etc. to be controlled by these buttons and not allow critical systems, unless one is willing to take the risk of 'hacking' like was done on a Tesla recently.
Old 21st August 2023, 12:33   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Excited to see that they are benchmarking the Tesla Y, but at the same time the excitement is tempered down quickly when we realise that the strengths of Teslas; the software and UI would be hard to replicate, while the below average stuff; exterior design and interior designs that look novel but are unergonomic and reek of poor fit and finish are the stuff they are going to replicate easily. Add to that Mahindra is going to outsource batteries and motors from other parties, let alone the platform. So wonder if the learnings would be as effective as the Kodiaq-XUV700 one.

Quote:
It is a dual edged sword. Clearly marked physical buttons mean the functionality is locked forever. Tesla on the other hand is introducing new features in their cars all the time including wholesale change to the software interface. It is similar to blackberry vs iPhone - yes it had a qwerty keyboard which people thought they liked but we all know what happened.....Also, I drive a Model Y Performance and after the initial learning curve majorly to know where which setting was, everything is a breeze now. Infact most of the functionality of the car can simply be controlled via voice commands and they work really well in a Tesla. I have rarely ever touched A/C controls while driving - I just command the car to turn on or off or set the temperature.
Have to disagree. A daily user can get used to stuff within weeks. But it is a problem if someone new to the car cannot figure out basic stuff within one minute. Yes, the functionality is locked forever when a button is marked, but why not? Atleast for the basic functions. Can understand for todays functions, a touchscreen is imperative unless one wants a cockpit filled with buttons but why put stuff like transmission selection or glovebox in the touchscreens? Voice commands have been in cars for decades now, but there are obvious reasons why it hasn't really clicked off even in todays Alexa/Siri era.
Old 21st August 2023, 13:39   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
interior designs that look novel but are unergonomic and reek of poor fit and finish are the stuff they are going to replicate easily.
Subtle sarcasm aside what is your experience of owning a Tesla? The fit and finish is far from poor. Infact I find it better put together (in terms of everything feeling solid with no play whatsoever) than my other car which is a Lexus RX. Tesla also has felt lined everything, from glovebox to central console, to the mid console, front and back door pockets et all which Lexus does not. Tesla seats are also considered one of the best in the industry because they design and build them in house.

Build quality and fit and finish is longer an issue with Tesla, atleast not the Shanghai built one's which we get here in Australia.

Quote:
Have to disagree. A daily user can get used to stuff within weeks. But it is a problem if someone new to the car cannot figure out basic stuff within one minute. Yes, the functionality is locked forever when a button is marked, but why not?
Again, have you lived or used a Tesla to determine that figuring out basic stuff is hard? Basic controls such as temperature are always available on the screen (you do not have to go through menu's).

Quote:
Atleast for the basic functions. Can understand for todays functions, a touchscreen is imperative unless one wants a cockpit filled with buttons but why put stuff like transmission selection or glovebox in the touchscreens?
Model Y has stalks to control transmission, wiper, indicator etc. Its the Model S you are talking about but even you dont really have to put transmission in drive, the car in most case figures it out for you automatically.

Opening glovebox via touchscreen might seem silly at first but then you realise that you can actually set a pin to open the glovebox essentially locking it without a key and there is ugly no latch to open it either - the glovebox is one continuous surface helping Tesla achieve that minimalist interior look.

Quote:
Voice commands have been in cars for decades now, but there are obvious reasons why it hasn't really clicked off even in todays Alexa/Siri era.
A siri/google cannot control the native functions of a car like climate and most cars simply have poor recognition, not Tesla.
extreme_torque is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 14:34   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Subtle sarcasm aside what is your experience of owning a Tesla?
=======
A siri/google cannot control the native functions of a car like climate and most cars simply have poor recognition, not Tesla.
I don't own a Tesla, but I have significant experience of using one and I would disagree on fit, finish, and general perceived quality versus established OEMs. I'm surprised that you believe Tesla to be better than Lexus here, but your experience may vary with mine where I find Lexus build quality to be bullet proof. From where I'm sitting I can actually see the bonnet badge peeling off on my neighbour's Tesla Model Y, and he has 3 of the things- and has done for years. When was the last time you could say this on a VW (much less a Japanese-built vehicle)?

Where Tesla have an edge is that they're constantly in the news, for good or bad, and the fact that they're in the energy transition and software business, not the car business. Today's customers want stability AND incremental features at the same time, which is incredibly hard to do. Just look at your TV or fridge, most are IoT enabled and download updates regularly. You wouldn't put up with these devices throwing a wobbly every so often, but still want the features that these updates unlock.
Automotive software has viewed stability as a design cornerstone for decades. OEMs have (still) not caught up with Tesla-levels of relative software stability punctuated by incremental innovation. Heck, even OTA was unheard of at major OEMs until a few years ago and Tesla launched with this feature nearly a decade ago. Finally, let's not pretend that any Tesla is a design icon of any note. They really are bland EV boxes. I don't think this is a reflection of their capability, but of priority. Why spend on eye-catching design when attention-grabbing software will do?
Things will change when OEMs really get their act together on software. We are already seeing this inside some OEMs that are moving to (among other things) Agile development processes.
E30_325iSport is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 18:28   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by E30_325iSport View Post
I don't own a Tesla, but I have significant experience of using one and I would disagree on fit, finish, and general perceived quality versus established OEMs. I'm surprised that you believe Tesla to be better than Lexus here, but your experience may vary with mine where I find Lexus build quality to be bullet proof.
I am saying its better put together than my Lexus because there is no wobble at all from any fitting anywhere especially the central console. Granted mine is a couple of months old but it feels as solid as a rock. On a cursory look even the panels gaps seem tighter. Perceived quality is pretty good too - no uneven panels gaps, no rattles or creaks, felt lined everything, soft plastics all around the dashboard. Lexus also has "more things" in the interiors, perhaps thats why.

The only issue I had was a buzzing sound from around subwoofer assembly when playing certain songs which was taken care by Tesla swiftly. The way they manage service is seamless as well but that is a detail for another day.

Quote:
From where I'm sitting I can actually see the bonnet badge peeling off on my neighbour's Tesla Model Y, and he has 3 of the things- and has done for years. When was the last time you could say this on a VW (much less a Japanese-built vehicle)?
I am part of Tesla group in Australia which is 30,000+ strong and I havent heard of a single instance of badge peeling. Seems more like an exception than the norm I'd say

Quote:
Where Tesla have an edge is that they're constantly in the news, for good or bad, and the fact that they're in the energy transition and software business, not the car business.
They are on track to do close to 2mn cars this year (largely the same yearly volume as BMW/Mercedes) and their goal is close to 20mn cars by 2030. They definitely are in the car business and are beating the legacy at their own game in manufacturing - read gigacasting, structural battery packs and they keep on evoloving - fast. That said their energy business would be huge as well and so would be their software business - they literally give away FSD hardware for free with every car they make. This is unlike legacy car models where you pay more to get more and there are hardware differences iin different models of the same car.

Quote:
Today's customers want stability AND incremental features at the same time, which is incredibly hard to do. Just look at your TV or fridge, most are IoT enabled and download updates regularly. You wouldn't put up with these devices throwing a wobbly every so often, but still want the features that these updates unlock.
For sure. I got my Tesla less than 2 months ago and I have already had 4-5 software updates which have added new features and improved functionality.

Quote:
Automotive software has viewed stability as a design cornerstone for decades. OEMs have (still) not caught up with Tesla-levels of relative software stability punctuated by incremental innovation. Heck, even OTA was unheard of at major OEMs until a few years ago and Tesla launched with this feature nearly a decade ago.
The issue is they still havent figured out what Tesla did 10 years ago. VW's ID range for example barely had any off the air update since launch. You still need to visit the dealer to get it. Taycan is the same.
https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/v...tware-upgrade/

Quote:
Finally, let's not pretend that any Tesla is a design icon of any note. They really are bland EV boxes. I don't think this is a reflection of their capability, but of priority. Why spend on eye-catching design when attention-grabbing software will do?
Is there anything like Cybertruck? Or the Tesla Semi? I guess bland is something that you could say about most EV's if you like your ICE engines but atleast Tesla's are FAST and efficient and they do serious stuff as well as the silly stuff (in car farts, mars mode etc etc) and some very useful features such as in-built dashcam, sentry mode, in car games, netflix, disney+, youtube, apple music, spotify, tidal etc all built in and all of it works seamlessly.

While design is subjective, I appreciate how the whole car is dvoid of any superflous details and this is a theme inside out. For e.g. there is no obvious charging port flap like almost all other EV's, how it manipulates air direction inside the cabin without any airfin vents (it uses air at different velocities to manipulate direction) or how there is not even a single button inside which has text on it. .

I for one love the way Model Y Performance looks - but mine has big wheels with fat low profile tyres, its lower to the ground and has a subtle carbon fiber spoiler at the back. The base model with 19inch wheels do not look as good and they look especially bad with wheel flaps.

Quote:
Things will change when OEMs really get their act together on software. We are already seeing this inside some OEMs that are moving to (among other things) Agile development processes.
EV industry will see a consolidation eventually - but just like smart phone market there will one iPhone and a gazillion other Android phones. For now, legacy car makers arent even close when it comes to EV's so its even more of a one horse race compared to the nascent smart phone days.

One of these days I will start a thread detailing my experience with the car and how and why Tesla has designed it that way.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 21st August 2023 at 18:29.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks