Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2023, 06:42   #1
BHPian

Electricity supply: Want to get load increase for charging my EV

I need a little help from fellow members here. I had applied for a load increase for EV charging in last year December. Even in last 8 months the executive engineer did not send his team to our apartment (every time my driver calls or visits, he says Govt work takes time). One application was also rejected citing "lack of documentation". Now he has asked for a bribe of Rs. 50,000.

I would request help from fellow members on this. How much is the actual fees. Also, what documents are required and any guideline in preparation of the documents. What is the idea timeline I could expect and is there any escalation mechanism.

Thanks a lot.
sumannandy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 07:52   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Electricity supply: Want to get load increase for charging my EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy View Post
I need a little help from fellow members here. I had applied for a load increase for EV charging in last year December. Even in last 8 months the executive engineer did not send his team to our apartment (every time my driver calls or visits, he says Govt work takes time). One application was also rejected citing "lack of documentation". Now he has asked for a bribe of Rs. 50,000.

I would request help from fellow members on this. How much is the actual fees. Also, what documents are required and any guideline in preparation of the documents. What is the idea timeline I could expect and is there any escalation mechanism.

Thanks a lot.
Sad state of affairs. Is yours a 3 Phase or a single-Phase connection? IIRC, for single phase, the max load can be 5KW.

I suggest you hire an approved electrical contractor in your area and get this done through him. He will charge you some fees and some bribe as well. But since they have the right contacts, you can get it done at lower cost.
sagarpadaki is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 08:57   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Like SagarPadaki says - get hold of an electrical contractor to do it - but remember to hold back at least 5% till all work is done - including getting your copy of the documents.
condor is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 09:06   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Even in last 8 months the executive engineer did not send his team to our apartment (every time my driver calls or visits, he says Govt work takes time).
You should demand what all documentation is missing and get it completed. Tell him that you are going to move an RTI application and also put on social media about the harassment (only if you are 100% correct). Things are changing, someone here tried similarly with us. They told us to fill in the documents and refer to the documentation, we marked our reply at multiple levels with all documents including their HQ. It was all cleared in about two weeks.

Extra happens when we are wrong and cannot correct, and that starts this whole thing. Departments start demanding even when everything is in order. Since you have waited 8 months already, stick with the right way and get everything done per law.
Turbanator is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 09:53   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
Tell him that you are going to move an RTI application and also put on social media about the harassment (only if you are 100% correct).
+1 on the recommendation on filing an RTI. It is hearteningly impressive what an RTI does to Govt. offices; it is borderline funny how they suddenly scamper to get work done.

Tread carefully on the second bit though (social media). These guys still command a lot of power (pun not intended) and can be petty and vengeful. Years back while staying in BTM Layout (three flats, one each of a ground + 2 bungalow-building), one tenant family refused to give the BBMP water guys diwali baksheesh. Next thing we know, landlady gets a bill 100x of the regular amount. Our water line gets cut, she lodges a complaint, the meter gets taken away for "investigation", and we had to rely on good neighbours for water.

We've had the same experience in Pune when getting our local discom to get us energy credit for solar panel installation - no engineer visit for several years, and then a bribe later, everything moved at lightning speed.

Tread pragmatically.
libranof1987 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 10:03   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Electricity supply: Want to get load increase for charging my EV

Or you could just get a simpler 15A plug which I believe suits the needs of 90% EV owners - link to my thread (Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car).
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 10:35   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Or you could just get a simpler 15A plug which I believe suits the needs of 90% EV owners - link to my thread (Why a cheap & simple 15A plug is just fine for home-charging your Electric Car).

+1 for this.

As someone who has jumped through the hoops to get the official charging "box" installed for the Tata Nexon EV for their the 3kw slow charger in 2021 when I first switched to EVs - which included some very "non negotiable" requests by the installers including the dreaded load increase and having to ugprade my main meter fuse through the electricity dept etc, which turned out to just be a 15amp plug in a waterproof box (I didn't know this back then and was keen to get the charger installed at home).

Then followed by more headaches that I had to go through for the MG ZS EV's 7kw charger including digging separate earthing pit only for the charger, when it came time to to install the 11kw 3 phase Ioniq5 charger - I simply decided not to go through with it. Instead I have installed 2 x 15amp plugs in both my parking spots and use these 90% of the time.

Unless you are going for a vehicle with a large battery pack over say 70kWh and expect to regularly drive depleting the battery to 15-30% you do not need the fast(ish) chargers and can save yourself the headache.

Last edited by Axe77 : 20th August 2023 at 17:31. Reason: Edited “thru” —> “through” across the post. Please don’t use SMS lingo. Thank you.
zandot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 11:26   #8
BHPian

Its India shining

What we once did for changing our Khata was we asked an agent what documents are needed. Then we took documents directly to the office and submitted. The clerk thought we will pay bribe but raised a hell of noise in the office when twice he did not deliver the documents.

Its always tricky and sometimes you will get marked out. Tread appropriately.
PreludeSH is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2023, 22:01   #9
BHPian

I never understand why folks want to go for 7KW AC charging at home, goto your nearest BESCOM FC, charge at 25kw DC. Come home, top up using 15A socket at night.

Instead of increasing sanctioned load, go apply for a LT6C connection, it costs 5 rupees per unit for EV.
DarthVeda is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 05:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Yes I am currently using a 15A plug. However I drive a lot, 27000+ kms in 8 months in EV max. 7 KW would help me charge faster for back to back drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I never understand why folks want to go for 7KW AC charging at home, goto your nearest BESCOM FC, charge at 25kw DC. Come home, top up using 15A socket at night.

Instead of increasing sanctioned load, go apply for a LT6C connection, it costs 5 rupees per unit for EV.
Thanks. I will explore LT6C connection. Is it 7 KW?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
You should demand what all documentation is missing and get it completed. Tell him that you are going to move an RTI application and also put on social media about the harassment (only if you are 100% correct). Things are changing, someone here tried similarly with us. They told us to fill in the documents and refer to the documentation, we marked our reply at multiple levels with all documents including their HQ. It was all cleared in about two weeks.

Extra happens when we are wrong and cannot correct, and that starts this whole thing. Departments start demanding even when everything is in order. Since you have waited 8 months already, stick with the right way and get everything done per law.
Let me check the RTI option. It's unfortunate that they are asking for 50000 bribe. He promised work will be done in one week on payment.
sumannandy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 05:43   #11
BHPian

Quote:

Is this really available in Bangalore?
Old 20th August 2023, 06:49   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

The system is deliberately convoluted and gamed against the consumers. What you need to do is hire an electrical contractor for your load increase. That’s what we did, and it was easy and quick. Any work that involves the electricity department and making changes is best handled through a contractor.
Old 20th August 2023, 08:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks. I will explore LT6C connection. Is it 7 KW?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nidhikapoor View Post
Is this really available in Bangalore?
Yes, there are many who have been using it for years, see the page for more info:
LT6 Blog
DarthVeda is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2023, 13:12   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, there are many who have been using it for years, see the page for more info:
LT6 Blog
I just read that. Interesting. However, I am in a different situation. I have 15KVA sanctioned load already and am putting up a 12KW solar system. 12KW will 'offset' my total consumption completely, and have a bit left over to pay for fixed charges.

If I get a dedicated meter for EV charging, I pay for that [maybe 30-40K], and then I consume from that at 6/unit. While my extra solar generated units will get me only 2.67/unit from Bescom. So I will lose 3.33 or so per unit that I use for my EV. This is in spite of the fact that my rate is 8.2/unit on my top slab of my present meter.

I think it's better for me to charge at 8.20 and offset it with solar rather then charge at 6 and get only 2.67 for the surplus that my solar system generates.

Am I right?

Last edited by nidhikapoor : 20th August 2023 at 13:18.
nidhikapoor is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 11:41   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Hi GTO - Please help us to understand one thing, if someone has electricity load of 7KW at home (on 3 phase meter) and user consume almost 7KW load on existing appliances etc. on daily basis, how he/she manage to charge EV while running existing appliances without increasing load. EV while charging may require about 3.0KW to 3.6KW additional load (eg. Nexon EV Max or similar EV) on 15A plug also even if user don't have 3.3KW or 7.2KW fast chargers. Without increasing the load, how will one charge EV.
GoBabyGo is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks