Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th August 2023, 17:25   #31
BANNED

Re: Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DicKy View Post
Guess it is South African time or something.

We will be seeing it tomorrow 6.p.m. or so. That's what the Mahindra automotive channel says.

https://www.Youtube.com/live/uuIn_WF2rfI?feature=share
The live streaming began now, it is related to the tractors demonstration.
wheelguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2023, 17:50   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
The live streaming began now, it is related to the tractors demonstration.
They are streaming the pickup details too as of now.
DicKy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenhorn View Post
When Pratap Bose jumped ship to Tata motors, I was worried that the string of design hits Tata had was going to grind to a halt. But after seeing the designs coming out of Mahindra, looks like Mr. Bose is not quite the rainmaker he was marketed to be.
Absolutely my thoughts. I was inside when he left TML &, at our level, we all felt, what next? But gradually I came to understand why TML didn't retain him.
Speaking about the concepts, designs apart, I am not able to understand why Mahindra is not serious about e-vehicles. As an Indian OEM, I want them to be future ready. Hopefully, they have some plans in place.

Last edited by speedguy : 17th August 2023 at 09:39. Reason: Typo
speedguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 09:59   #34
BHPian

Most of you have mentioned Hummer H3, Ford Bronco, Land Rover Defender and couple of Jeep models, but all I see is glimpses of the GMC Hummer EV SUV.

That said, I am not against designs being "inspired" from other brands.

Thar.E looks good to me and will be great if Mahindra can launch this thing without doing too much injustice to the original concept.
Attached Thumbnails
Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-hevf34.jpg  

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-hevi.jpg  

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-hevr.jpg  

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-hevr34.jpg  

inwester is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:28   #35
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Defender , Hummer and Toyota FX Cruiser mixed masala Khichidi output is here. Is Pratap Bose on Notice Period in M&M?☺️

Jokes apart, apart from concepts when would they really bring live products. Mahindra EV concepts are being shown and doesn't live to become a reality.
Facing any pressure from brother nearby who is coming with 4 more EV vehicles 🤣
Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:29   #36
BHPian

With so many iconic designs like Bronco, Defender, Hummer, Jeep, it is very difficult for the Mahindra designers to look past these when designing. But again, that's the inherent challenge of any designer. How far can he or she come up with an original design without the risk of it being called a knock off. I always felt that is what traditionally Indian car designer have been missing in their DNA, that brand new design that is on par to Euro aesthetics.

Thar's success should be majorly attributed to the OG Jeep design that it outright uses and it does trick consumer's mind. XUV's design is so-so and I have never been a fan of its design language and its supposedly cheeta inspired elements. Its interior takes bits and pieces from Mercedes' designs ( the long screen, seat adjustments in the door, etc), the back of the new Scorpio has taken Volvo's iconic light shape and somehow retrofits in that flat tail gate, Bolero was a (cheaper) rip off of the G-Wagon. And you when you look at their other run of the mill designs like TUV, KUV, they are outright abysmal.

I still believe, the designers at Tata are doing a slighty better job with their recent designs and it can be argued that some amount of JLR pedigree is associated with their latest cars ( which is Ok I suppose).

I know its easy said than done. It is very hard to come by an all new original or unique design without elements of other car design fused in it. Having said this, some of the partial elements in these designs show some promise from what we see.
vjbox is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 13:40   #37
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by inwester View Post
Most of you have mentioned Hummer H3, Ford Bronco, Land Rover Defender and couple of Jeep models, but all I see is glimpses of the GMC Hummer EV SUV.

That said, I am not against designs being "inspired" from other brands.

Thar.E looks good to me and will be great if Mahindra can launch this thing without doing too much injustice to the original concept.
And I vividly remember Pratap Bose ranting and expressing his displeasure over Bajaj Chetak's design. The tweet and few screen-grabs from Rushlane.

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-screenshot_20230817134935375_com.twitter.android.jpg

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-bajajchetakelectricvespacopy1.jpg
Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-bajajchetakelectricvespacopy2.jpg

Last edited by wheelguy : 17th August 2023 at 13:53. Reason: Found the tweet, added it to the post
wheelguy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 15:52   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelguy View Post
They unveiled Thar EV. Looks like, this in no way is related to Thar, they must have used name to capitalize on the popularity of Thar.
Gives me a strong LEGO vibe. Kids love it, but as Arnold said so eloquently in “Predator”, I think it is one ugly….
Mustang Sammy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 16:54   #39
BHPian

Thar.e just works. It sounds like a Rajasthani word thari. Everything else just falls flat.

How is this a Thar EV and just just another EV designed by a second grade intern? What really screams an evolved THAR about this concept other than the name?
Old 17th August 2023, 17:10   #40
Kln
BHPian

Stellantis really scared the beejesus out of M&M. So much so that they redesigned the Thar to be this ugly and insipid. What a travesty, this Thar should never hit the roads in its current concept avatar.
Kln is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2023, 21:39   #41
BHPian

ICE Thar has such a macho design, very likeable. Why did have to mess it up for the EV version? Other than the required changes for battery and motors, and some unique EV cues, they should have stuck to the popular model framework. Missed opportunity. Or may be they wanted to cash on the brand name. Too wierd in my humble opinion. Sci-fi youngsters might like it. Hope production version makes some design sense.
Old 18th August 2023, 08:23   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeniorC View Post
ICE Thar has such a macho design, very likeable. Why did have to mess it up for the EV version?
They aren't allowed to release classic thar design anywhere else apart from India due to Jeep. Mahindra playing it safe with all these modifications as they are picking some good traction in Australia market and doing well in South africa.
Old 19th August 2023, 20:21   #43
BHPian

Mahindra to debut Thar EV concept on August 15-beijing_bj40_plus_img002.jpg

To some extent I am getting reminded of this Chinese thing as well. There are atleast 3 cars' design elements in this Thar EV. Bronco, Landrover Defender and Hummer EV. I can see the impact of Fiat's resistance on this design overhaul but M has gone too much. We will not see even 40% of what we are seeing now in the Production but still, there is no original design or idea or concept in this, which is disappointing. For that matter, Scorpio N and XUV are all having some character IMHO. Also, is it just me that I feel M is rushing and keep releasing too many ev prototypes (because of the Tata and BEV pressure?) and nothing materializing appropriately yet.

Thar is a proper off roader like the Wrangler and Mahindra should not go full blown EV rather just attach a small range battery like hybrid for those moments where one needs some extra power/torque (like in Wrangler EV version). Why would I want to have that anxiety if I drive deep inside off road areas and worried about charge?
sgmuser is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2023, 10:00   #44
BHPian

As a concept this looks cool and has caught eye balls as expected. But, I would be surprised if we end up seeing 25% of what we have seen so far.

Globally the EV adventure 4x4 space is heating up and we are already seeing players like Rivian, Ford and GM talking about similar technology and vehicles. Hopefully by 2025 range anxieties and charging infrastructure space would see significant improvements and innovations

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks