Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th July 2023, 16:28   #16
BHPian

Re: Goa: All new rental cars & bikes to be electric from January 2024

Goa's major income comes from tourism. Yet they don't have good infrastructure for power or garbage disposal. Nor is the vehicle rental industry well regulated.

This is a well-intentioned but ill fated decision which will be postponed to somewhere around 2030 very soon, once the locals who benefit from everything non-official start their protests.
Indraneel Bhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 18:16   #17
Senior - BHPian

Looking at all this, I somehow get the feeling these days that tourism as an industry has reached a saturation point in many parts of India. The concept of going electric is ok in principle, but it has to be phased in rather than shoved in. This will only increase the burden on the end consumer and will result in a vicious circle. It may come to a point that tourists from other states may not be allowed to bring their personal vehicles in certain parts of Goa (aka Ladakh). Somewhere I think the powers that be need to take a deep breath and go easy on this industry. The basic infrastructure itself is not weather-proof as evidenced from the recent events in the Himalayan tourist spots.
fhdowntheline is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 21:07   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
Most of the low cost stays in Goa don't even have proper backup power in case of power cuts. What if I am traveling to Goa for a couple of days and decide to rent a scooter for local sight seeing. I will easily be covering in excess of 100-150 kms a day.

Completely agree. As a frequent visitor to beach shacks, I echo the lack of proper electric fitments there. Seems like the cab mafia has influenced this decision. Tourists will be forced to hire chauffered cabs in such a situation.

That being said, this decision could help reduce the tourist load on Goa as hassles like these do push away tourists gradually to other places.

Last edited by Shobhitsaxena : 24th July 2023 at 21:10.
Old 24th July 2023, 21:43   #19
BHPian

My guess is that like all other hair brained policies which cannot be implemented, it will become another money spinner for the babus and netas. Operators would find it easier to grease them than replacing/retrofitting a third of the fleet.
Old 24th July 2023, 22:06   #20
Team-BHP Support

Unless there is a crisis situation, the government should really consult with the stakeholders rather than issue directives
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2023, 22:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

Stupidity at its peak, especially in a state like Goa that faces frequent power cuts. I can't even imagine how it'll be during the monsoons, when it's routine to have major outages. Usually, Goans don't bend so easily to idiotic diktats. A revolt may be brewing.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 12:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, don't waste time debating the merits of this "announcement". Even the person making the announcement knows it's not going to happen. Google for news about the "mandatory" fitting of meters in taxis in Goa and you'll see the history of such decisions and their (ongoing) fate.
Old 25th July 2023, 16:41   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionell View Post
PS: Uber has started airport drop and pickup services in Goa for the first time ever :-)
Let's see how long Uber can last in Goa. A police complaint was filed against them by the Government for operating illegally in the state.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le67119029.ece
Iconoclast is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2023, 19:57   #24
BHPian

One more reason to not go to Goa for me. The exorbitant rates everywhere, hotels and restaurants, the dearth of touristy places, the incessant traffic, and the rowdy crowds. Goa has outpriced itself from tourism.

Konkan provides the beaches and silence, and not to mention cheaper rates on everything apart from alcohol. Even coastal Karnataka provides more value for money.
isotope729 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th July 2023, 16:05   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconoclast View Post
Let's see how long Uber can last in Goa. A police complaint was filed against them by the Government for operating illegally in the state.

https://www.thehindu.com/news/nation...le67119029.ece
Sure that. The government filed a complaint under the Cyber Crime and IT Cell. What I am learning today is the cyber cell has refused to entertain that complaint and has directed the government to send the complaint to the Transport Ministry.

Let the drama begin.
lionell is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks