Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2023, 17:58   #1
Senior - BHPian

BYD plans to invest US$ 1 billion to build EVs in India

China-based BYD is looking to invest US$ 1 billion to build electric vehicles and batteries in India.

India may block BYD's US$ 1 billion EV plan-bydatto31200x900.jpg

According to a media report, BYD has submitted a proposal to manufacture EVs in India in partnership with Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructures. The two companies are said to form a joint venture and plan to build electric vehicles ranging from hatchbacks to luxury models in the long run.

BYD is the world's largest manufacturer of EVs and plug-in hybrid vehicles. Currently, the company offers two models in India. These include the Atto 3 electric SUV, launched in November 2022 at a price of Rs 33.99 lakh. The second model is the e6 MPV, which is priced at Rs 29.15 lakh (ex-showroom).

BYD also produces electric commercial vehicles. The Q1 electric truck was spotted at the Mumbai port earlier this year. It has a gross combination weight rating of 40 tonnes and is said to have a range of 200 km.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News
TusharK is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:09   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: BYD plans to invest US$ 1 billion to build EVs in India

How will that work? The governemnt is not going to allow investment from a Chinese major into a fully owned local subsidiary. They will have to find a local partner and be content with a minority stake in the joint venture. Just look at SAIC/MG.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 18:35   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
How will that work? The governemnt is not going to allow investment from a Chinese major into a fully owned local subsidiary. They will have to find a local partner and be content with a minority stake in the joint venture. Just look at SAIC/MG.
Megha Engineering and Infrastructures is the local partner.
SKC-auto is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 19:58   #4
Senior - BHPian

Whether all of it comes to be a reality or not...

The ATTO-3 is a smart looking car with a spacious rear bench. The leather from factory and the pano roof are to watch out for. The Audio is actually good and the gizmos are on par with Tesla. Range claimed by Dubai showroom was 450Kms, I take it with a pinch of salt and would pray 300-325 is decent.

Battery warranty is 8 years, other parts of the car is warranted for 7 years. Best and attractive part is the car costs 150,000 AED which is much lesser than 185,000 AED for the Tesla Model 3.

My only grouse was the frunk is missing and it looks silly for that class of competition. It looks a 3 cyl petrol engine bay.

India may block BYD's US$ 1 billion EV plan-byd.jpg

Pic credit to this website, and it is a great review on the Atto3.

https://thedriven.io/2022/08/31/byd-...pect-it-to-be/
svsantosh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 20:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post

The ATTO-3 is a smart looking car with a spacious rear bench. The leather from factory and the pano roof are to watch out for. The Audio is actually good and the gizmos are on par with Tesla. Range claimed by Dubai showroom was 450Kms, I take it with a pinch of salt and would pray 300-325 is decent.
I saw this car in flesh today in their green color. I must say that it is really well put together and the fit and finish is awesome. Really nice tight panels, it also had a great interiors and the rear was proper 3 seat.

With BYDs superior battery tech and 7yr warranty, it would have been a great option to MG ZS EV but for it's price. The MPV is a whole 4 lacs cheaper!
Nilesh5417 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 21:21   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post

BYD also produces electric commercial vehicles. The Q1 electric truck was spotted at the Mumbai port earlier this year.
Some 6-7 years or so ago, had seen BEST run a few BYD electric mini buses on its South Mumbai routes complete in its own Red and Silver livery. That was the first time I noticed the brand.

Wonder what happened to them.
Old 14th July 2023, 21:24   #7
BHPian

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum.

Also, one-liner posts are best avoided.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Thanks for the support & understanding

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2023 at 08:52.
Auto_guy_101 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th July 2023, 21:30   #8
BHPian

Quote:

The ATTO-3 is a smart looking car with a spacious rear bench.
https://thedriven.io/2022/08/31/byd-...pect-it-to-be/
I once saw this in Kochi; my son showed it to me and both of us gloated at it for some time. Its external design looked really slick but then the interior is too busy for my taste. Looked like they first designed the exterior then smoked something really strange before getting back to the interior design.

I envy the owner

Last edited by electric_eel : 14th July 2023 at 21:30. Reason: typo
electric_eel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2023, 23:08   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Range claimed by Dubai showroom was 450Kms, I take it with a pinch of salt and would pray 300-325 is decent.

420 is its actual WLTP range, which is most of the a times good indicator of its real world range.
Real world range reports are also in the range of 400-450 for city driving and 350 for highway driving.
Old 15th July 2023, 01:31   #10
BHPian

Still not gonna buy a Chinese EV!
I already know that Tata/ Mahindra will be making great products by then, and who knows we might also see Tesla on the roads by then!
Old 15th July 2023, 08:09   #11
Team-BHP Support

Amazing, Tesla makes big noise and keeps dithering, posturing etc. whereas BYD has quietly come in, soft launched the BYD 6, now the Atto and will scale up. By the time Tesla arrives, it will be overpriced comparatively speaking
ajmat is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 09:03   #12

Taken rides on Shoffr's (Bangalore-based airport drop/pick cab service) BYDs a few times and they look and handle very nice. I think those are the e6's.
feodore is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:30   #13

I had a chance to test drive the BYD e6 last week. The dealership in Cochin is handled by EVM, a business group with strong presence in automotive world. They hold dealerships of Porsche, BMW, VW, Skoda, Citroen etc. The test drive experience was very good and professional.

The vehicle itself seems well put together with good build quality and is definitely a mile muncher workhorse sans brand value, gimmicks, 3rd row seats and extensive dealer network.

With BYD planning to collaborate with an Indian company and expand, we definitely can expect exciting times ahead.

May this collaboration bring good fortune to BYD just like how Toyota benefited from Kirloskar partnership.
Old 15th July 2023, 12:48   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Range claimed by Dubai showroom was 450Kms, I take it with a pinch of salt and would pray 300-325 is decent.
I met a BYD owner while charging at BESCOM, Bengaluru, he had driven from Udupi at 100% and reached Bengaluru with 20% remaining. That's nearly 400kms on 80% charge and includes climbing from sea level to 850m above sea level. That's pretty impressive, and he didn't do conservative drive, he has doing 100kph on 4 lane highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fx14 View Post
Some 6-7 years or so ago, had seen BEST run a few BYD electric mini buses on its South Mumbai routes complete in its own Red and Silver livery. That was the first time I noticed the brand.

Wonder what happened to them.
BYD supplies batteries to all buses, including switch, olectra etc. Underlying stuff is from them only.
DarthVeda is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th July 2023, 12:57   #15
BHPian

Chinese suppliers seem firmly entrenched in the electric vehicles/batteries business. It’s going to be hard for india to decouple from them. I hope we won’t try to go that way. Geopolitical issues should be resolved amicably without resorting to a business war or financial war.
nikhilck is offline   (5) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks