Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2023, 12:23   #1
BHPian

6-month service intervals on the Tata EVs

Hi all,
This is my first post on Team BHP.
I am considering the prospect of owning an EV sometime in the near future. My options are limited to the Tata EV lineup for now, as they offer the most value for what you pay (relatively).

I went and test drove the Tiago and Tigor EVs and found the driving experience quite pleasant. But when I did some additional digging around, I found out that the Tata EVs have a 6 month service interval! For an EV, I think that is unnecessary and I found it a bit difficult to digest. One of the biggest advantages of the electric automobile is that, with fewer moving parts, the maintenance would be proportional too. While other manufacturers offer 1 year service intervals on most IC cars, I don't see why Tata decided that one should bring their low-maintenance EV twice as frequently as other cars into the shop and spend all that money and time for nothing. I checked the service interval table that was printed on the Tiago EV owner's manual and the jobs listed on there are all something I could do on my own with a flashlight at home, unless something major goes wrong (in which case, I would take it to the ASS anyways).

Can someone explain to me why this is so, because skipping a service could mean voiding the warranty, and that is a harrowing thought on a relatively new and unproven piece of technology. As someone who would rather avoid the shop altogether if I could and spend the time and effort DIYing repairs big or small, how do I convince myself to go ahead and purchase a "high maintenance" EV? Also, is there any way Tata will increase the service interval period in the near future, as then, I could defer my purchase to match that.

Thanks in advance!
Sensible_Speed is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 12:43   #2
Team-BHP Support

re: 6-month service intervals on the Tata EVs

Most likely they are keeping a tight watch and control of the system performance and applying needed updates (software) to the vehicle. One should slowly see an increased service interval levels as the platforms stabilises.

On the other hand a manufacturer has to think from a common user perspective, you might be an exception to this with DIY knowledge and skill level and till right to repair takes off big time, things may not change with any of these manufactures.
Jaggu is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 13:16   #3
BANNED

This is a trend all manufacturers will start following, since the main revenue for dealers and even car manufacturers is in service and spares, where the profit margins can exceed 1000%.

The main reason we service IC powered every 6 months to 1 year is to change engine oil, oil filter. The oil is in direct contact with the combustion carbon, outside air and fuel.

In EV motor like some of your household pump can be oil cooled, coolant cooled and dual cooled but is sealed from outside elements. Even in a Honda IC powered like Jazz the coolant filled has to be replaced every 2 lakh km or 10 years.

In all inductive devices like motors, tranformers erc which are oil cooled, you don't change the oil until there is a leak.
aim120 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:00   #4
BHPian

Tata motors have a service interval of 6 months even for ICE cars . My car they insist on getting it serviced every 6 months, from an ICE car perspective the intermediate 6 month service they don't change oil etc they only do the bare minimal checks and deliver the vehicle
puntra800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:26   #5
BHPian

Sometimes the service is actually free like our Nexon went for an update (related to some charging issue fix apparently though we didn’t have this issue so idk what it’s about) just last week for free

The regular service calls will definitely bug you if you don’t go in. For us, we usually visit only when the service due comes on the MID

I suspect that not just the revenue factor is there, but also, perhaps Tata being extra careful to identify and possibly fix any problems that come their way in EV models (cue the Pune Nexon EV fire incident)
Shresth_EV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th June 2023, 16:31   #6
BHPian

transaxle oil will be changed in the first 6 month service. Avoid this at your own peril ! 6 month is quite a reasonable interval and they will do any pending software updates in this service also. Just because a car is electric doesn't mean it doesn't need service, especially in Indian context. The suspension and other components need to be checked, greased and lubricated.
Nanolover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 03:42   #7
BHPian

It's worth noting that the difference in cost of product is sometimes directly proportional to its reliability. Products beta testing are done when in the hands of the user. Any faulty charging, battery checks, hardware servicing and software updates, errors are fixed twice a year. A new Toyota purchase becomes costlier as its coolant is practically never topped up or changed in its product lifecycle run.
SafariMan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 06:07   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Every Tata car has to be brought in to the service at intervals of 6 months. Even Harrier/Safari, where oil change interval is 1 year/15000km but service interval is 6months/7500km. You need to comply to maintain warranty coverage. These systems are designed to prioritise revenue generation. The dealer community relies primarily on this for their profits.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:18   #9

Re: 6-month service intervals on the Tata EVs

I had a chance to test drive a few electric cars recently. And was pleasantly surprised with the service interval of Volvo XC40 recharge, which is 30000 Kilometers. And more importantly, they offer first three services (ie up to 90000 KM's) service as free.
cijoalex is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 11:27   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sensible_Speed View Post
Hi all,
I found out that the Tata EVs have a 6 month service interval! For an EV, I think that is unnecessary and I found it a bit difficult to digest. One of the biggest advantages of the electric automobile is that, with fewer moving parts, the maintenance would be proportional too. While other manufacturers offer 1 year service intervals on most IC cars,
We own a Nexon EV and have driven it more than 40000kms in less than 2 years! It is giving a range of around 220-240kms. I live near Sariska National Park and so do trips to Delhi and Jaipur regularly (I keep speeds around 75kmph on highways)

Full service interval is every 15000kms and check-up is every 7500kms. Your car shall start giving you service warnings when you approach 7500kms since last service. During check-up, I am generally charged around Rs.1000-1200 for washing, checking some nuts and bolts and running diagnostics and, I believe, getting a data dump in the process.
15000 kms service will cost you around Rs. 1500-2000 max.
I get servicing done at either Classic Motors, Alwar or Roshan Motors, Jaipur. Never had a problem with service or unnecessary billing with either.

The cost of maintaining and running an EV are incredibly low!
Reminds me of the original Hero-Honda ad; Fill it, shut it, forget it!
Alfresco is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 13:00   #11
BHPian

6 month service interval + substandard service experience = Angry Customers.

No wonder Tata customers are an annoyed bunch. From my own experience of having a Nexon at home and a very close friend's Tiago, calling their service experience bad would be an understatement.

Not sure about other cities but Select cars here doesn't even have sufficient place to park the cars, along with a severe manpower shortage. I feel their quality will improve if they move to a 1-year service interval like all other brands. Perhaps they can make up for lost revenues by increasing the prices a bit. Paying 10K once after 1 year is better than paying 5K every 6 months, fuel and pain for the additional visit notwithstanding.
Vibhav-Van is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 14:44   #12
BHPian

We own a Nexon EV Max, and the 6 month service interval is irritating to be honest. There is absolutely nothing done by the SC other than washing and some filter change. The SC near my house does not do home pickup / drop, and its a hassle to take it to the SC, drop it and then go pick it up in the evening. Plus the drop off experience is abysmal, takes almost an hour or more for the SA to attend to my vehicle before I can leave.

So far during the 1st 3 services, the monetary aspect is minimal, but the just a bit peeved about the SC experience.
varkey is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 21:07   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,
This is my first post on Team BHP.
I am considering the prospect of owning an EV sometime in the near future. My options are limited to the Tata EV lineup for now, as they offer the most value for what you pay (relatively).

I went and test drove the Tiago and Tigor EVs As someone who would rather avoid the shop altogether if I could and spend the time and effort DIYing repairs big or small, how do I convince myself to go ahead and purchase a "high maintenance" EV?
Lots of opinions, but I think we need to look at the facts. I think in order to make a decision you need to understand what this 6 month service entails.
I doubt it would be a lot, probably just a bunch of stuff that needs checking.

The service interval is no measure for “high maintenance” as such. What is relevant is what activities at which cost are required.

Other than cost service interval are something to consider in terms of (in)convenience.

For my company tin service interval was very relevant. At say every 30K km it meant 2 times a year. A similar car with say a 10K km interval would mean. I would need to take it for a service 6-7 times a year! Which is a Royal PITA.

So just go and get the facts. What is being done every 6 month. How much labour, how much for parts.

Look forward to seeing the facts.

Jeroen
Jeroen is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th June 2023, 08:44   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Lots of opinions, but I think we need to look at the facts. I think in order to make a decision you need to understand what this 6 month service entails.
I doubt it would be a lot, probably just a bunch of stuff that needs checking.

The service interval is no measure for “high maintenance” as such. What is relevant is what activities at which cost are required.

Other than cost service interval are something to consider in terms of (in)convenience.

For my company tin service interval was very relevant. At say every 30K km it meant 2 times a year. A similar car with say a 10K km interval would mean. I would need to take it for a service 6-7 times a year! Which is a Royal PITA.

So just go and get the facts. What is being done every 6 month. How much labour, how much for parts.

Look forward to seeing the facts.

Jeroen
High maintenance, to me is when I have to roll my car in to the garage every 6 months to just get a check up. Like I said, EVs have low maintenance requirements as they have fewer moving parts.
It is a major inconvenience.
When I decide to make a purchase, the first thing I generally do is check the service manual and see what maintenance work needs to be done and when.
The Tiago EV has no maintenance to be done on it. The biggest job, from what I saw was changing the cabin air filter every year. The 6 month service, is honestly pointless as they do nothing on the car. On top of that, the service rep quoted ‘1500-2000’ for the half-year service. I’ve seen them work on EVs and that’s why I am a bit skeptical.
Having to go in twice a year to just maintain my warranty seems like a rip off to me. So my question was, is it worth the rip off or not?
Old 29th June 2023, 11:00   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So my question was, is it worth the rip off or not?
Again, if it is that important to you I would check what the service manual says. Not assume.

Good luck with your decision.

Jeroen

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks