Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2023, 09:59   #1
BHPian

Quirky benefits of owning EVs

We all know that EV have benefits like less (zero) pollution, lower cost, incredible acceleration etc. But with years of ownership of EVs, I have noticed some quirky benefits which is not mainstream or the primary ones. I am going to list them down here. Please add yours.
  1. Never getting scammed at petrol station, the usual fill up 100 and then ask how much
  2. Don't have to worry about someone stealing petrol or diesel at night from your vehicle
  3. Never worry about getting adulterated fuel
  4. Worried about mixup of fuel during fill up, diesel into petrol vehicle
  5. billed down to Paise at charging station unlike fuel station.
  6. Don't have to shake the well to brim up fuel
  7. Having to run engine to use AC while at basement parking
  8. Worried about vehicle theft, EVs can get jacked but where is the thief going to charge my ather or car? with connected feature, it's easy to track the vehicle
  9. Service personnel siphoning off fuel. in EV, we have the opposite
DarthVeda is offline   (96) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 10:38   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Quirky benefits of owning EVs

- Outaccelerating more expensive cars . When I was driving the new MG ZS EV, I smoked a Mercedes E-Class in an acceleration run and he didn't know what hit him!

- No PUC nonsense every year.

- Never, ever worrying about fuel efficiency, something us Indians are so obsessed with.

- No issues of the engine overheating, the starter not cranking, low engine oil levels (LOL @ TSI owners)...

- Better music quality! Because of no engine sound & overall superior NVH.

- Having your own private fuel station at home . Even Ambani doesn't have a petrol pump at Antilia.

- Get solar panels and you have the equivalent of your own oil well & petroleum refinery at home!

- Official "remaps" from the manufacturer that improve your performance or efficiency.

- Having the latest tech! IMHO, the 45-lakh Ioniq 5 is more technologically advanced than the 2-crore S-Class or 7-Series.

- The green number-plate which has bragging rights and stands out on our roads.
GTO is offline   (100) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 10:40   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- Never, ever worrying about fuel efficiency, something us Indians are so obsessed with.
This is what everyone ask first, how much range!! and all EV drivers in their first year are always worried about range and the number that shows on DTE.
DarthVeda is offline   (18) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 10:42   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

- Can be sneaky and ninja like quiet, except for inevitable tyre crushing pebbles sounds.

- No need for idling or waiting for engine to warm up. Can use without guilt for sub 1 km hopping.

- Can idle and use A/C without guilt.

- Generate own energy if you have the space and investment.
DicKy is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 11:24   #5
Team-BHP Support

40% Depreciation For business owners, Individuals who own and work independently or have rental income or other qualifiers.

Sample this plan a BMW guy gave me for an iX.

IX
Loan Amount. 11000000
Emi 184360
48th instalment/Buyback 5952000
Mileage 15000 km per year
Down payment - 15 Lac

Cost of Car- On-Road - 1,25 - Zero Road tax, insurance included.

Now someone with an income of Rs 50 Lac from rental or business will have an approx—liability of over 15 Lac in taxes. Buying an iX under a buyback offer will give you 50 Lac depreciation in the first year, implying zero Tax. And, someone with a higher income or in subsequent years can save additionally from all the interest payments.

Edit - I erred in mentioning depreciation on rental income. Crosschecked, we can only claim a standard deduction of 30% on rentals, and no further depreciation is allowed. So, we should read the 40% depreciation as wherever applicable, mostly business or professional income.

Last edited by Turbanator : 19th June 2023 at 11:43. Reason: Edited to correct about Rental income.
Turbanator is offline   (43) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 19:10   #6
BHPian

1. Lack of Tailgating :
    While it is a driver choice to not be menace to others on road, I’ve noticed that fellow EV drivers (including myself) keep much more distance between cars to take advantage of regen braking when need be.
    A considerate driver would do this irrespective of powertrain, but with EVs, it becomes doubly rewarding — safety and economy (more range due to regen). People will be automatically motivated, not to tailgate, just to increase their range.
    Tell that to “kitna deti hai” uncles and they’ll probably leave more space between cars than the avg apartment in bombay
  2. Sedate driving :
    A skilled EV driver who wants to extract max range will also drive sedately, at least within city. Even on highway, people openly violate the 120kmph or 80kmph limits.
    As an EV driver, I feel 80-90kmph is not only plenty fast, but also, still, the safe speed to cruise on the Wild West that is Indian roads. With an EV, this is pronounced even more so, for range considerations.
  3. Performance democratisation :
    Just coming from that thread, and I wholly agree. While it may seem counterintuitive to the above point, it’s more about the capability — the choice is upto you.

As rightly said on that thread, EVs are the sleepers of this generation. I can be confident on the highway overtakes when need be.

However the most important part here, is not just the cost of acquiring — but also using that performance. Turbo petrols are already showing single digit mileage. That’s double digit running cost right there.

Even worst come worst, hoon the Nexon EV 24x7 and you’ll still get 150km range. Even if you fast charge at ₹25/kWh (std rate across many DCFC networks) at worst, you get ₹5/km. Which is what sedately driving a normal ICE would get you.

Last edited by Shresth_EV : 17th June 2023 at 19:12.
Shresth_EV is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 07:39   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
40% Depreciation for business owners, Individuals who own and work independently or have rental income or any other such qualifiers.
Are you sure about the 40% depreciation part for the non-commercial vehicles, i.e, personal use vehicles of professionals/business owners? Kindly update. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th June 2023 at 07:54. Reason: Quote post trimmed. Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
Geta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 07:54   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geta View Post
Are you sure about the 40% depreciation part for the non-commercial vehicles, i.e, personal use vehicles of professionals/business owners?
Yes, here's the link

https://incometaxindia.gov.in/charts...on%20rates.htm

(xiii) Renewal energy devices being—
Attached Thumbnails
Quirky benefits of owning EVs-screenshot-20230618-7.52.55-am.png  

Last edited by Turbanator : 18th June 2023 at 07:55.
Turbanator is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 08:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A neighbor has a Nexon EV and the first question he gets is "What is the range?" or more non-technically "How many kilometers can you drive before you recharge?".

In Malayalam, of course.

So even though the owner is not really worried about the "FE" as correctly said by our super admin, the public is concerned very much.

That said, let me add two more somewhat quirky benefits:
- the moment you book an EV, the rooftop solar guys will start calling you with 4KVA "proposals"
- if your house has a single-phase wiring plan, you may/might start hunting for good electricians to convert it into three-phase

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 18th June 2023 at 08:48.
sandeepmdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2023, 10:19   #10
BHPian

I own a TVS iQube and the immediate thing that comes to my mind is

#1. Zero parking fee in metro stations here in Chennai. Not sure if this is applicable in other cities as well.

Apart from the above, I have another 2 points

#2. Been approached by random folks on the road asking questions about the scooter. Not sure, if this can be termed as a positive always. Also, thanks to this forum - my short review about iQube in this forum came up in many of my friend's Google news-feed along with my photo - making me a 'celebrity'

#3. Off-late, I have been using my e-scooter in place of my car - like, going to office (which is 10kms away from home). In other words, my iQube is not just a replacement for my 15+ year old Scooty; instead, it is becoming a replacement for my car - and hence, the cost savings is enormous.

Last edited by callvvijay : 18th June 2023 at 10:26.
callvvijay is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 08:25   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Well. to my eyes, the most practical benefits of EV's over ICE are
  • Engine braking at its best. Which can be even calibrated. Like you want it, have it. If not, the bloody car will coast till the end of the world!
  • Using the AC when the car is in a stand still.
  • If you have the four motor EV's then all the traction advantages you get.. You can make it a corner craver!
dhanushs is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 10:22   #12

I Own an OLA S1 Pro

One of the benefits of the EV which i have just came by reading the thread is.

Never to Stand in a 'Queue' in fuel stations. (Lately minimum 4-5, 2-wheelers are present)

i usually keep a tab on where are fuel stations around me just in case but that habit has faded.
Old 19th June 2023, 10:26   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shresth_EV View Post
  1. Lack of Tailgating :
    While it is a driver choice to not be menace to others on road, I’ve noticed that fellow EV drivers (including myself) keep much more distance between cars to take advantage of regen braking when need be A considerate driver would do this irrespective of powertrain, but with EVs, it becomes doubly rewarding — safety and economy (more range due to regen). People will be automatically motivated, not to tailgate, just to increase their range.
I agree with your point; most of the EVs (except the tigors which probably are run as taxis) that I see on highways are pretty well driven. However it might be the case that the early adopters are mostly defensive drivers. One of the "cons" that people talk about when it comes to range is that EVs cannot be driven "enthusiastically". I was naturally inclined to defensive driving. So I did not bother about this issue when booking my Nexon EV.

Having said that I recall one instance when a MG ZS EV (white) some where in Kochi made a nasty ninja like manoeuvre from behind my Nexon EV to fill the gap that I was maintaining from a rather crazily driven ICE car that was in front of me. The instant torque of an EV makes such manoeuvre a breeze but what if I too had decided to overtake the particular ICE vehicle in front. When there is mass adoption of EV, and people realise that range anxiety is not such a problem as it is made out to be by petrol heads, you will see people driving EVs insanely. The sports mode will make it worse.

electric_eel is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 11:10   #14
BHPian

I've done about 18k kilometres on my Nexon EV since 2021 December. I drive enthusiastically for sure! I've reached Airoli office from Santacruz in under 40 minutes including signals, toll, some traffic at Chedda Nagar. Covered 28.6km in about 39 minutes and had an efficiency of 138w/km with AC on full time. That corresponds to a range of about 220km. That brings my running cost per km to about 1.2 rs per km, even if I drive at peak enthusiasm my running cost will be max 1.5 rs per km with home charging.
Compare that with 1.5L turbo petrols that sedans are coming with these days. They'll give you about 5-6kmpl if you drive with a heavy right foot.

Also adding one perk which the very informative posts above missed:
Regen on downhill!
People complain about EVs consuming more electricity on uphill climbs, that exists with petrol/diesel cars too, just that people don't notice it. But what ICE cars can't do is condense the evaporated fuel you spent on the way up while coming down����
EVs add to your range on downhill journeys! The lonavala ghat gives me back 30-40km of range on the way down.
StrykerEV05 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th June 2023, 11:13   #15
BHPian

Quote:
- Outaccelerating more expensive cars . When I was driving the new MG ZS EV, I smoked a Mercedes E-Class in an acceleration run and he didn't know what hit him!
You have rightly pointed out the benefit of high torque but for boring drivers like me who are scared even to even glance at the sports mode switch, the instant torque is the most useful feature. It gives even finer control over acceleration making the ride butter smooth. Particularly useful during ghat sections ferrying passengers with a tendency to develop motion sickness.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks