Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2023, 10:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025

Venkatram Mamillapalle, Country CEO & Managing Director, Renault India Operations, has confirmed that the carmaker will launch its first electric car in the Indian market in 2025.

Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025-renaultkwidelectric.jpg

The EV will be one of three new cars that Renault plans to introduce in India in 2025. The carmaker is getting into the C segment with models that will be longer than 4 meters in length.

"We are getting into the EV segment with aggressive positioning and also into the bigger cars in the C segment of above 4-metre length from 2025 onwards," Mamillapalle said.

Renault-Nissan is investing Rs 5,300 crore to support the development of 6 new products. Mamillapalle added that the new product offensive is part of Renault's long-term plan to turn profitable and have a 2 million strong customer pool in India by 2030.

Source: ET Auto

Link to Team-BHP News

Last edited by TusharK : 15th June 2023 at 10:52.
TusharK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 11:41   #2
BHPian

Re: Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025

They should have launched the kwid EV by now. Think about it , an entry level EV hatchback with around 150Kms real world range priced at around 6-8 lakhs. This would also slot it below the tiago.ev and absolutely smash the Comet.
Nikhildrao is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 15th June 2023, 12:10   #3
BHPian

I really don't get this new trend of giving us info on launches 2, 3 or 5 years down the line. Even the government has stopped with their 5 year plans for god's sake. No one is waiting with bated breath and putting their purchases on hold for a mass market car from one trick ponies. It's been almost a year since Nissan announced the Juke, Qashqai and X-Trail. Meanwhile the competition came up with the RWD Thar, the Jimny, the Fronx, the hybrid city, awd Vitara and what not covering every single requirement a potential customer might need. If this hype is for the investor's benefit then it's not like they don't pick up a newspaper and see a competitor's ad every other day on the front page.
Iyencar is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 10:59   #4
BHPian

Dacia Spring aka Renault Kwid is quickly becoming one of the top selling EV in Europe ever since it first launched in 2021. The Kwid EV could rewrite Renault's fortunes in India unless they delay further.

Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025-spring-electric-renault-kwid.jpg

Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025-spring-electric-renault-kwid-specs.jpg

Renault to launch its first EV in India in 2025-best-selling-ev-2022-europe.jpg

source

Last edited by Torino : 16th June 2023 at 11:01.
Torino is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 11:55   #5
Senior - BHPian

0-100 in 19 seconds, max range of 160 kms. This is going to be dead on arrival unless they significantly undercut the Tata tiago EV, which is never going to happen due to the advantages Tata has of being a domestic brand.
Cresterk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2023, 12:04   #6
BHPian

Kwid looks very spartan for a EV. Hope Kwid doesn't get a EV. You need some compact SUV to really attract the market.
I dont see anyone succeeding other than Hyundai since they give lot features, Exter should be the one. Being viewed as futuristic EVs cannot be seen same as base ICE counterparts.
Old 17th June 2023, 12:32   #7
BHPian

The car looks fine as a Rocket League / Fornite skin but ridiculously kiddish as an actual car. Have they learnt nothing from Nexon having to tone down its styling?
Old 17th June 2023, 15:40   #8
BHPian

The CEO did not say that they would launch the Dacia Spring here. It is just that Torino referenced one of their current offerings in Europe. Let us not get caught up with Kwid.

Kiger EV would be a good bet for Renault.
Sumedik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2023, 17:00   #9
BHPian

Kiger ev is more likely to be launched in India. Don't they already have test vehicles running?
Old 17th June 2023, 18:31   #10
BHPian

Why wait for a EV, Renault can rewrite it's fortunes in India just by adding 1 litre Turbo engine and CVT to Triber. Don't know what's the logic these companies apply while denying their models sure winner engine and transmission combination. If they are worried about cannibalization its better they do it rather than their competition.
Old 18th June 2023, 04:16   #11
Senior - BHPian

I'm definitely in the minority here but I don't see what's wrong with a fairly rudimentary EV. I really don't need all the bells and whistles if I can have a cheap EV in the form of the Kwid (Dacia Spring). If you look at it's sales in Europe, it's clearly testament to the fact there are people who want the benefits of an EV but just need something akin to a beater.

I think there's a market for that in India too. At the end of the day, if it was priced cheaper than the Tiago EV and had say some basic niceties like climate control and maybe the touchscreen head unit with your usual Carplay/Android Auto connectivity, I'd be satisfied. (Besides the whole MO of the Dacia brand has been in offering reasonably cheap cars that do all the basics well. The success of Dacia is proof that there's an appetite for that blend, you needn't always resort to the kitchen sink approach with features that the Korean twins adopt for one.)

Renault for one has mainly had its success in India every time they did something slightly different from the rest of the pack. I don't see why they can't gamble and launch the Kwid EV here too? I'm sure there's still a sizeable chunk of people who haven't jumped on the crossover/SUV bandwagon. You can still have success if you're clever about how you exploit the niche you operate in.

I will agree though that it's tiring to see all these announcements for launches 2-3 years down the line. The market will long since forget whatever it was you intended to do. I wish any announcements were for launches at most <1 year away. If auto enthusiasts (the Team BHP audience) can't bear to wait that long, what chance do you stand of making a dent in the wider car buying publics mindshare with such a long winded strategy?
ads11 is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks