Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th March 2024, 20:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report

I had the opportunity to take the GTX out on a highway drive a few days back.

The trip was about 190km (one-way) and a large part of that, maybe around 150km, was done on cruise control at the speed limit (100 km/h).

I had pre-heated the GTX before starting, and it still hadn't finished charging to 100% when I started. I started the trip with 98% battery. I reached the destination with 39% of the battery remaining.

Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_038.jpg

A 200kW charger was available at the destination, so I plugged in. Based on the first part of the trip, I knew it would take around 60% battery to make the trip back. I added some buffer for colder conditions and some for any unexpected detours and decided to charge back up to 80%.

The charging, however, was slower than I had hoped for. The session started with the charging speed around 50kW and it never ramped up. The max it got to was 53kW. So charging back up to 80% took me 37 mins and just under €11.
Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_039.jpg

The charging speed in cold weather has been a complaint with the ID.4. The ID.4 lacks any pre-heating support for the battery for fast charging. This meant that even after driving more than an hour at a constant 100km/h, the battery was not at the optimum temperature for fast charging. Newer ID.4s with ID Software 4.0 now have pre-heating support. It is rumoured that it may be added to older IDs like mine via OTA, but that remains to be seen.

For the return trip, the temperature had dropped by a few degrees, and there was no opportunity to pre-heat the car from a plug. Consequently, the consumption was slightly higher.
Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_040.jpg

The trip also showed the difference the temperature makes on the consumption. Earlier on this thread, I had written about a highway driving test on a much colder day (around -23C). The consumption on that day was around 30.8kWh/100km.
StarrySky is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 21:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report

A new OTA update showed up a few days back. It came with a warning:

Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_041.jpg

A few errors showed up on the driver's information display the first time I started the car after the update. Based on information available online, I knew that this is normal, and the lights would go away once I started driving.

Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_042.jpg

As always, the code/id of the update was displayed after successful update. However, no release notes or detailed information on the update was available.

Volkswagen ID.4 GTX Business | Ownership Report-gtx_upd_043.jpg

Although there was a warning that there could be a jerk the first time the car was driven after the update, I faced no such issue.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks