Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 08:32   #1
Senior - BHPian

Should I buy a Tata Tiago EV?

Hello!

I booked a Tiago EV when it was launched with the thought of replacing our Etios. I made the booking thinking will make the final decision whenever the booking comes to fruit. The Etios in question is a VX petrol, 12 years old and has been driven for 77k kms. Its our second car and used only in the city. The demands from the second car is just to be a reliable means of transport for daily errands.

The Tata dealership is now ready to honour the booking and I need to make a decision fast.

The dilemma is that while Tiago EV suits our requirement to a T, the Etios is working so well, it begs the question: why fix something that's not broken? Another equally important consideration is if I should wait 2-3 more years for a more 'futuristic' grounds up small EV like BYD Seagull? Just like the Etios, we will hold on to this car for a longer time so obsolescence is a factor that plays in my mind. But given the purpose, I am loathe to spend more than INR 10-12 lacs on the second car.

To help make the decision, I made the following list of points for both the choices:

Tiago EV:
- Seems perfect for the usage pattern - multiple trips a day for a total distance covered of no more than 25 - 30 kms
- No hassles with home charging whatsoever; infact I fell for this very idea - your own petrol pump!
- Potentially zero running costs (as a result of state govt. offering some free units per connection and us having an unused connection. Even so, we have rooftop solar that mostly powers the house)
- I believe it would be cheapest to purchase the car now - launch price benefit + PB govt recently waived off registration charges for EVs + the exchange price from Etios will only reduce in the future + expect new cars (especially EVs) to only get costlier
- New car benefits - more features, nicer interiors, compacter dimensions, better drive for the city (comparatively less space not an issue)
- But, with the Etios running so well, at the moment feels like an unjustified cash outflow of atleast 8lacs
- Tata Motors' quality and service remains a hit or a miss

Etios
- It provides an exceptionally trouble free ownership experience (which is most important)
- Just love the Etios - very practical, juicy engine, nice handling, ample space and robust build (no rattles!)
- Toyota's consistent and fuss free service experience
- Being a petrol, and the city mileage of around 9kmpl - has a monthly running cost of ~INR 4-5k (for EV it would be almost nothing)
- All said and done, it is old, so can expect potentially expensive maintenance bills (but just got its annual service done, currently its fit as a fiddle)

What do you advise?

Last edited by rrsteer : 14th May 2023 at 08:49.
rrsteer is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 10:22   #2
BHPian

re: Should I buy a Tata Tiago EV?

Suggest not to buy Tiago.EV. I can imagine that you must be getting excited with it, but like you said that don't fix something which isn't broken. The reason I am saying that in next around 3 years, you will have lot more options (and hopefully from lot more manufacturers as well) and technology will keep on evolving along with the design philosophy. Better decide then.
youknowitbetter is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 20:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
Hello!
The dilemma is that while Tiago EV suits our requirement to a T, the Etios is working so well
While i would have just said go for EV outright, i do adore the Etios(Brilliantly reliable, no nonsense, Peace of Mind car).
So if i had the Etios and no necessity for another car then i for sure would have waited it out. I mean atleast till Punch EV is out and the demand of Tiago eases out a bit.
The Tiago EV waiting list has already improved, the dealer's who were hardnosed earlier are now even willing to provide discounts.

But in case if you decide to go ahead, then do a thorough PDI. Quite a few niggles pointed out on our forum and Facebook/ Whatsapp owners groups.
EV Fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 22:05   #4
BHPian

Quote:

What do you advise?
My two cents, you can evaluate it this way. Say you keep the current car for another 3 years

1. Based on your running, you will spend 50,000k in running cost an year additional over an EV which imputes a value of 1.5 lakhs.
2. The free registration is not going to be there forever. That is another 1 lakh Rs of benefit.
3. Calculate the resale value your etios will lose over next three years.

So 2.5 lakhs + loss of resale value is what you are looking at gain in the next three years.

Now coming to the cars, there is no doubt that Toyota cars are mechanically brilliant but the car won't have the creature comforts of a new car. Plus the peppy, smooth and effortless drive of an EV will be an pleasent upgrade
ferrarirules is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 15th May 2023, 09:22   #5
BHPian

Why replace whats not broken? Both are just econo boxes (daresay almost appliances) meant for frugal commuting. Its not like Tiago.ev is your dream car that you have to take a hard decision. Also, given the minimal usage, the savings in fuel + maintenace probably wont negate the high upfront cost + increased insurance costs (due to higher IDV). Keep etios unless annual maintenance costs are very high.
Comrade is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 09:54   #6
BHPian

Re: Should I buy a Tata Tiago EV?

Why to trade a larger, reliable, proven & maintenance free car; with a smaller car from the manufacturer who is giving newer technology but are not known for reliability with expected niggling issues (To be honest, I don't hate Tata)? Tata is improving and I am willing to change my opinion few years down the line.

Keeping above things aside, you are owning a sedan which are on the verge of extinction. Keep it. It will be difficult to find another car with space, safety and ride quality like the Etios.

Wait for another 2 years or so, when Etios resale would almost be negligible. Keep it as your long distance tourer then and can think of buying a newer EV with better technologies. Already many manufacturers are looking to launch EV variants of their successful ICE car models.
DrCar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 10:47   #7
BHPian

Dear rrsteer, forgive me for being a little blunt, but I believe retaining the Etios is more sentimental than anything else. I think its a good time to buy the Tiago EV with the current set of benefits. Had these benefits not existed, I would have agreed with other Bhpians in retaining the Etios longer.

Etios is reliable yes, but its 12 years old. I believe Punjab has a 15 year cap on petrol cars. It might be easier to sell the car now than 3 years from now. the scrap value and the discount on registration for the next car might not be attractive enough 3 years down the line when EVs are main stream and attract higher registration fee
aayusht is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 11:52   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Hello!

I booked a Tiago EV when it was launched with the thought of replacing our Etios. I made the booking thinking will make the final decision whenever the booking comes to fruit. The Etios in question is a VX petrol, 12 years old and has been driven for 77k kms. Its our second car and used only in the city. The demands from the second car is just to be a reliable means of transport for daily errands.

The Tata dealership is now ready to honour the booking and I need to make a decision fast.

What do you advise?
Hi rrsteer, I am looking for a second car for my home and for sure I will be buying an EV. I was waiting for Comet EV but it disappointed me big time. Tiago EV is a fantastic car, but just like you, I am also spoiled by space in my existing car (Honda City in my case). Etios is as spacious as Honda City and as such I find Tiago EV (though value for money), but not spacious and its interior is very dated (better than Etios - Sorry to say this).

I am waiting for Punch EV, which is expected to launch any time (I am hoping for July 2023 launch). I am attaching a sheet which may help you to decide whether to go for Tiago EV or wait for Punch EV. My suggestion is to wait for Punch EV launch. Keep in touch with Tata dealers for faster delivery of Punch EV.
Attached Thumbnails
Should I buy a Tata Tiago EV?-tiago-vs-punch-vs-etios.jpg  

GoBabyGo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 12:55   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBabyGo View Post
I am attaching a sheet which may help you to decide whether to go for Tiago EV or wait for Punch EV.
This seems like an interesting comparison. Maybe you could add some section on the maintenance costs also. EV maintenance costs is likely to be lower than Petrol (fewer moving parts).
by factoring the maintenance costs, the cost saving with an EV will be higher.
aayusht is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 14:12   #10
BHPian

Here is my perspective.

My brother is a Doctor who recently bought a Tiago EV. His workplace is 50kms away making it 100kms round-trip. He also has a Vento Petrol. Before Tiago EV he used to commute via Vento and the monthly fuel cost came out to be ~ Rs 18000.

Tiago has been with him for 4 months and he commutes via Tiago EV everyday. His monthly electricity bill now is Rs 3500/- an increase of Rs 1000 approx after he started charging (Fast Charger) the EV at home.

So atleast my brother has been saving around Rs 17000 per month which makes it 17000 x 4 = 68000/-

Believe me if your usage is high then you will recover the cost of the car even before you realize. So go ahead and buy it if you want. You will be literally driving free of cost since you have a solar plant.
dsuman is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 14:56   #11
BHPian

As an owner, I can say that Tiago EV is a fun car to drive. It is very very addictive. It takes 90% stress out of your rush-hour drives. Now, I don't hesitate to make those less-desired commutes that were earlier avoided because of distance or fatigue, or any other reason. I don't want to drive my newer KIA Carens Petrol 1.5 DCT. Reasons - Running cost, Ease, and Size.

But, IMO, don't change the car until it is giving you problems or your daily usage is 50km or more. In my case it was both, my older car was giving me problems and my commutes average 85km/day for 6 days a week.

CONS- Plastic quality is BAD.
autoholic is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 19:43   #12
BHPian

I say stick to the Toyota unless you're really bored with it. The fuss free, ever reliable dependability can't be matched by any. I think having second thoughts about spending your hard earned money on an EV that does only a certain kms per charge is justified. BTW, our family has a lovely Etios Liva diesel MY2013 and would stick to it as long as possible. No other car in the affordable segment (15 lac) till today could give us the sense of dependability like our Etios Liva Diesel could. People have always critiqued them for being under styled (inside-out) and under equipped inspite of sporting rock solid mechanicals which is a shame. At the end of the day it's a car with the famous Toyota badge.
Phantom 510 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 20:27   #13

[I would keep the Etios as it's hardly run much and can run well for a long time.
Only reasons for upgrade would be to escape from the manual gearshift and large dimensions assuming yours isn't a liva, which can be a pain in the city.
For your low running EV wouldn't make any financial sense. Say you keep your Etios for 8 years which could be easily possible it wouldn't cost much other than annual service which would be 6-7k on an average. Wheras Tiago battery replacement at the end of 8 years may need replacement and would cost a bomb.
dieselroxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2023, 20:46   #14

Quote:

Etios
- It provides an exceptionally trouble free ownership experience (which is most important)
- Just love the Etios - very practical, juicy engine, nice handling, ample space and robust build (no rattles!)
- Toyota's consistent and fuss free service experience
Clearly you are in so much love with this car (Etios). Despite other rational arguments like the resale value of the Etios & new car price after few years, ask yourself whether you are ready to sell Etios without a heavy heart? Looks like you are not

Keep enjoying the Etios and enjoy what you love. we never know what future holds for us. we might get a better EVs in the same price point or the EVs might get costlier due to less government subsidies. At 12 years old, Etios lost most of its value and at 15 years the resale value might not be much different today.

Though my signature was added based my experience in selling my Mazda6 and regretting, if the below holds true, you are driving a "dream car"

"A dream car is not the one you can't buy. A dream car is a car you can't sell."
Navinprakash is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th May 2023, 13:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Thank you everyone for your sincere advice. I'll heed to the majority opinion and retain the Etios. The heart always lusts for the new or a change, so it was a bit difficult to cancel the Tiago booking. But, ultimately selling the Etios proved to be even more difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navinprakash View Post

"A dream car is not the one you can't buy. A dream car is a car you can't sell."
That is really true and applicable to so many other things too.
rrsteer is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks