Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-img_7878.jpeg  

Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-img_7879.jpeg  

Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-img_7880.jpeg  

Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-img_7881.jpeg  

XRoader_001 is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 11:44   #47
BHPian

re: Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open

This will be the first Tata EV to have charging port in the front (assuming no change in production version)? Guess this will get rid of the orange cable running below and will make it convenient to just pull up and charge instead of backing in.
wocanak is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 13:04   #48
BHPian

Hi - I have very high hopes from Punch EV and keenly waiting for the launch. I was expecting it in July 2023, but 'hopefully' Tata will launch it in October 2023. I am delighted to know that Tata has managed to keep charging port at the front.

I wish Tata launch Punch EV at following prices:

Adventure EV MR (24 kWh) at Rs. 12.50 lacs onroad Delhi (without road tax)
Accomplish EV MR (24 kWh) at Rs. 13.25 lacs onroad Delhi (without road tax)
Accomplish EV LR (30.2 kWh) at Rs. 14.25 lacs onroad Delhi (without road tax)
Creative EV LR (30.2 kWh) at Rs. 14.99 lacs onroad Delhi (without road tax)
GoBabyGo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2023, 17:31   #49
BHPian

Its great to see TATA keeping the charging port at the front. Hope the same will be carried over to their upcoming EVs as well (Curve, Harrier etc.). Other OEMs should also follow the same. Since EVs are charged primarily at home, keeping the port in a neutral position helps, given the tight parking spaces/garages for most of the homes.
Sabyasworld is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 08:40   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabyasworld View Post
Its great to see TATA keeping the charging port at the front. Hope the same will be carried over to their upcoming EVs as well (Curve, Harrier etc.). Other OEMs should also follow the same. Since EVs are charged primarily at home, keeping the port in a neutral position helps, given the tight parking spaces/garages for most of the homes.
There is a higher probability of the port getting damaged in front due to fender benders rather than on the sides.
ritesh_44 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 09:19   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritesh_44 View Post
There is a higher probability of the port getting damaged in front due to fender benders rather than on the sides.
+1. They should have kept it on the sides. Any minor frontal accident will ensure that the vehicle is towed away and being rested in SC for a while.
AbhishekNigam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 11:35   #52
Senior - BHPian

Tata Punch EV could be launched in October 2023

Tata Motors is gearing up to take on the Citroen eC3 with an all-electric version of the Punch. According to a media report, the Punch EV could be launched by late October.

Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-20230822023345_webai_10_-1.jpg

The Punch EV will be positioned between the Tiago EV and Nexon EV. The electric crossover will reportedly be offered as an alternative to the Tigor EV. It will use Tata's Ziptron powertrain. It could get multiple battery options offering a range of around 200-300 km on a single charge.

Spy images suggest that the styling of the Punch EV will be similar to the ICE version. It will carry forward the rugged styling with squared-off wheel arches and C-pillar-mounted rear door handles. It is expected to get a blanked-off grille and newly designed alloy wheels.

The Punch EV is expected to get several interior updates, including a 2-spoke steering wheel, a digital instrument cluster and a 7-inch touchscreen infotainment system.

Source: Autocar India
TusharK is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 12:20   #53
BHPian

I am really looking forward to seeing the Punch EV launched. Need a small EV for city use and somehow do not like Tiago from a design perspective. Lets hope they stick to the timeline.
swarnava.ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 13:01   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TusharK View Post
Tata Punch EV could be launched in October 2023
Seems like TATA is getting really aggressive with the launches! Earlier, the scheduled timeline for the launch was in Q1 of 2024; but now the speculated launch of Q4 2023 comes as a surprise. Only prayer here is that, they better test their vehicles in totality and not go for hurried 'beta' launch like the Harrier 1st-gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.ch View Post
I am really looking forward to seeing the Punch EV launched. Need a small EV for city use and somehow do not like Tiago from a design perspective. Lets hope they stick to the timeline.
I read somewhere that to keep costs in check TATA Punch will be sharing lot of bits from the cheaper Tiago EV. Not sure if this would be a good option as the Punch is supposedly premium than the Tiago. Hope they refrain from this as much as possible.

Keenly looking forward to the launch of Punch EV.
ashvek3141 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th September 2023, 19:03   #55
BHPian

Excited for Punch EV, this being based on the newer architecture should be better in the rear seat leg space depth management compared to Nexon EV Max
Old 15th September 2023, 11:33   #56
Senior - BHPian

These two are clearly two different faces.

The one on the left is similar to the Curvv / latest Nexon. The one on the right is the current gen.

Though all the latest spy pics are of the current gen, I will be highly surprised if after launching the new look Nexon EV, they will launch the Punch EV with the current gen looks.

That would be like taking half a step backward.

Let's see what comes out
Attached Thumbnails
Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-punch-facelift.jpg  

ashutoshb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 11:40   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashutoshb View Post
These two are clearly two different faces.

Though all the latest spy pics are of the current gen, I will be highly surprised if after launching the new look Nexon EV, they will launch the Punch EV with the current gen looks.
The right hand side pic is of the almost production ready car. Punch already has the Harrier/ Safari styling with split DRL and headlamps. It is Nexon which followed the same style with some upgrades. I don't think we will see any major updates to exterior styling of punch in its EV avatar.
Old 15th September 2023, 12:00   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

An electric punch would knock out a punch for many cars in vicinity. An already established and successful car when it comes in an electric avatar, it should definitely set the charts on fire.
Only 2 concerns apart from the price they quote, one is the current issues Tiago EV owners are facing. This was shocking as they had gained expertise via Nexon and Tigor but couldnt solve in Tiago.
Second is the fixed headrests at the rear. On such a wonderful, fixed headrests dont justify.
Altrozed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th September 2023, 12:24   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrozed View Post
Second is the fixed headrests at the rear. On such a wonderful, fixed headrests dont justify.
In current Punch ICE, the topmost variant (Creative) has adjustable rear headrests. Only the lower/mid variants have fixed rear headrests. Adjustable rear headrests were the only reason for me to buy Punch Creative variant. I think the same will continue in Punch EV as well.
Old 17th September 2023, 04:41   #60
BHPian

Speculation on Punch.EV Pricing

I do not know what thread this post should have belonged to, but since I started crunching some numbers to guesstimate the pricing of Tata's next EV in the pipeline, I thought it apt to start a new thread, considering some of the exciting deductions that were arrived at.

Tiago.EV
Starting off with the Tiago.EV, priced (at launch) at ₹8,49,000 to ₹11,79,000, ex-showroom.
Difference in price between XT MR and XT LR (at launch)= ₹90000
Difference in battery capacity= 4.8 kWh

Leaving out the additional 14 hp & 4 NM of the LR (there are no feature variations in the variants), the cost of 10 kWh battery size came out to be ₹1,87,000 at launch.
And, if you needed a faster charger with it (7.2 kW instead of 3.3 kW), you needed to pay an additional ₹50,000. (This amount still has not changed)

Now, the prices of the Tiago.EV have increased (+₹20000 for the XE and XT MR variants, and +₹24000 for the rest, which are LR variants) (as on Sept. 17, 2023). It currently is priced at ₹8,69,000 to ₹12,03,999, ex-showroom.
The cost of 10 kWh battery size comes out to be ~ ₹1,98,000.
You may say that the initial pricing was just introductory, Tata must have been making a loss selling it at that time (conjecture). Fine, I'll agree with you. All hunky-dory till now? Good.

I smelled something funny, when now it seemed that the battery prices have increased, going by the increase in pricing, because nothing else explained the rise (was it not supposed to go down? You'll find out soon). I am not one to take increase in input costs as a reason, considering the 1998 platform it sits on, albeit modified, and no, the car was not peppered with more features to command such an increment.

Nexon.EV facelift launch
Needless to say, blown away by this car. Like how when Jeep gave its Compass a facelift with a complete interior overhaul, I can see, and appreciate, such an extensive revamp sure bought this aging car more time and firepower.
Now, Difference in price between MR and LR variants= ₹2 lakh
Difference in battery capacity= 10.5 kWh

What LR gets over the MR:
  1. Additional 16 hp
  2. 7.2 kW charger v/s 3.3 kW
  3. Rear Disks
  4. V2V and V2L capabilities
  5. Electronic Parking Brake
  6. Auto Hold

Remember, the fast charger costed ₹50,000 more? Deducting this amount from the difference, it now costs ₹1.5 lakh for 10.5 kWh capacity, or ~₹1,43,000 for 10kWh. I would go ahead and say it costs <₹1,40,000 for 10 kWh, because the disk brakes alone cost more than ₹3000 on Boodmo.

Wait, did battery prices just drop ₹50,000 rupees for 10 kWh?

The absurdity has not ended, yet, pal.

Variant-to-variant comparison

Tiago

Tiago.EV's XZ+ (without the fast charger) comes the closest to Tiago XZA+ Petrol automatic, in terms of features.

Tiago.EV XZ+ price= ₹11,54,000
Tiago XZA+ Petrol price= ₹7,69,000

You get 315 km range of the EV, and 665 km range of the petrol (ARAI numbers). You get 74 hp of the EV and 85 hp of the petrol. I get that numbers do not tell the whole story, and indeed the EV is better to drive in the city, but so far, the numbers are not working in favour of the EV.

Price difference= +50%

Nexon facelift

Now, as best I could make of the variant spread of the EV and the Petrol powertrains, the differences and similarities of their names and their respective features. Seriously, someone at Tata needs an earful for such creativity (no pun intended). Not even the brochures are alike! Similar variants: Empowered MR of the EV and Fearless+S DT of the Petrol.

Nexon.EV Empowered MR price= ₹17,84,000
Nexon Fearless+S DT Petrol price= ₹14,69,990

143 hp of the EV, and 118 hp of the petrol. Better numbers for the EV? Surprised?

Price difference= +22%

After this legwork comes the estimation part, which, frankly, at this point, is not the most interesting thing, is it? Eh.

Punch.EV estimate

I'm going to put it like this (crude numbers, mind you!):

Petrol automatic

Base variants
Nexon=Punch +56%
Punch= Tiago +8%

Top variants
Nexon=Punch +53%
Punch= Tiago +30%

Nexon: ₹11,69,000 to ₹15,49,990
Punch: ₹7,49,000 to ₹10,09,900
Tiago: ₹6,94,900 to ₹7,79,900

Electric

Tata has little overlap between there petrol automatic models in terms of pricing, a narrow band between of ₹12,03,999 and ₹14,74,000 (i.e., ₹2,70,000) to price the EV, it is safe to assume some overlapping- at the bottom end, if Tata lazes out, and plonks Tiago.EV LR's drivetrain into it, and at the top end, if, again, if Tata lazes out, and plonks Nexon.EV MR's drivetrain into it.

Nexon Petrol automatic spread= ~₹3.8 lakhs
Tiago Petrol automatic spread= ~₹0.85 lakhs
Punch Petrol automatic spread= ~₹2.61 lakhs

Nexon.EV spread= ~₹5.2 lakhs
Tiago.EV spread= ~₹3.35 lakhs
Punch.EV spread ideally should be around ₹ 4.2 to ₹4.5 lakhs

Taking the overlapping and Tata's ambitious pricing (would hurt a little less if that new screen came in) in consideration, in my best guess, the Punch.EV would be priced at (no drumroll, please) ₹9.99/₹10.49 lakhs lakhs at the bottom end, and ₹14.29/₹14.99 lakhs at the other. Tata currently retails Punch in 4 variants- Pure, Adventure, Accomplished, and Creative. Going by the recent launch, most likely 'Pure' name would be dropped, and a new name for the top variant would be added (suggestion at the end).

Points worthy of note
  • EVs are meant to be an ideal replacement for diesels, which were more economical and had more torque than their petrol counterparts. Diesel automatics, more so. Since most Diesel-manuals nowadays cost the same as petrol-automatics, and automatic transmissions cost ~₹1 lakh more than manuals in the ₹10-20 lakh segment, it makes more sense to go for a Nexon.EV than its diesel automatic right now. Seeing it this way, Tata EVs in this price bracket start to make more economical sense.
  • The new Nexon.EV is pricier by ₹25,000 at the lower end. Considering this car took half-a-generational leap, this is a justifiable reason for the subsequent price increase.
  • I see this as a move to obliterate any competition in this category (looking at you, Mahindra), whereas in the lower than 10 mil INR segment, Tata does not see any worthy competitor to necessitate a price decrease (MG and Citroen are niche players, anyway).
  • Seeing the price disparity between battery capacities of Tiago.EV and Nexon.EV, it is safe to say that Tata is milking its customers in the lower segment. Tata should name the Punch.EV's top model Shameless, if it goes down this path.
  • I would like to be wrong.

Last edited by Aditya : 18th September 2023 at 16:53. Reason: As requested
Harjot37 is offline   (33) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks