Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 15:44   #211
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Attached Hyderabad prices. It’s over 5L (top variant) expensive vs the Petrol variant.
Is it 5L more than top petrol variant? If that is the case then wouldn't it be better to just buy petrol one and spend the rest of the amount for fuel which still would be less than 5L.
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 15:53   #212
BHPian

I don't think for lot of prospective customers the pricing of this product matters. This is a compact, feature loaded, fun to drive urban runabout. The Nexon was a size too big and Tiago/Tigor felt old. This would be the second car for lot of people who own other premium cars, and I don't think the car lacks any creature comforts that would make them complain. The car would find takers no matter how much premium Tata charges for it.

I don't think anyone would consider the top models of Tiago now as the features are similar compared to Smart+ (although there is discounts running close to a lakh now for Tiago EV). Tigor EV was selling in limited numbers anyway and that probably would taper off to nil now.
thomahawk is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:11   #213
BHPian

Hi, while there are reasons for others to be upset about the price of Punch EV compared to Punch ICE, however, my observation is as below:

1. Punch EV can not be compared with Punch ICE (AMT to be specific). Punch EV is far more superior in driving comfort, dynamics & reliability as an AT compared to Punch AMT.

2. An EV is not for everyone compared to ICE which is suitable for each & every person. The biggest advantage or dis-advantage for an EV is charging. If you do not have charging at home, don't buy EV. Whereas ICE vehicle is for everyone.

3. Whatever math you do, EV will be much cheaper to own, in long run, if your driving is high within city and you always (95% or more) charge at home.

4. Current generation EV, which offers real world in city range of 250km to 300km are good enough for next 7 to 10 years even if we consider battery degradation of 5% every year after 1 lac km driven (or 5 years).

5. I am anticipating that if someone want to sell her/his current generation EV available in India after 5 years from now, may not get the buyer at a respectable price. I am not sure, but I am very optimistic that in future EV scrapping value will be very high if someone scape her/his EV to buy another EV.

6. Only apprehension I have is may be by the end of this year (2024 end), Govt. of India may come up with a separate electricity meter & separate electricity tariff for EV charging at home / office, which could be significantly higher than the residential tariff (I am expecting it to be close to Rs.12/- per unit to Rs.15/- per unit for home / office EV charging).

If I get a charging slot at my parking in my high rise apartment building, I will buy EV (either XUV400 39.4kW or Punch LR) immediately because my 99% driving is within NCR (70km per day) and EV offers tremendous saving to me (minimum Rs.9000/- per month).

Last edited by GoBabyGo : 17th January 2024 at 16:26.
GoBabyGo is online now   (11) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 16:22   #214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Pricing is too high for such a small car with tiny batteries. Once again, Tata is concentrating on fancy features instead of important EV must-haves like reasonable-sized batteries, range, and decent DC fast charging. Looks like they are ready to be overtaken by Mahindra in the EV market just like SUVs. If the rumored XUV300 EV with 35kWh is priced at around Rs 14 lakhs, then that's what will happen in EVs as well.
Why bother when the outdated mileage testing norms here mean you can just advertise a 400 kms range even though the car will barely do half that?

Personally I still think it's an okay car for city runabout with decent features. Might pick it up if they fix their infamous quality control issues and if there are any tax benefits from govt side.
Old 17th January 2024, 16:55   #215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guptad42 View Post
On the battery side, Tata Motors is selling almost the same ~2018 LFP cell technology that they launched with in the first Nevon EV model. There are minor gains from packaging the cells better in a battery pack, but none of the last 5 years of battery chemistry improvements and price drops seem to reflect in the latest Tata Motors EVs. This strategy works for the short term, because there is no real competition and Tata Motors have figured out that good looking designs and lot of gadgets can provide a modern feel without updating the old EV tech!

If any other players get aggressive, they could offer 30% more capacity from same physical size and weight battery. Or even more. Which will make these so-called gen1/1.5/2 EVs totally uncompetitive.
Curious, what technology are we talking about?

LFP is a stable battery tech that is less costly and more India-friendly (summers can get very hot) compared to NMC. NMC will escalate the cost further and make EVs less commercially viable.

XUV400 is a bigger car (vs Nexon) and comes with NMC. What has stopped MnM from packing a bigger battery into it? I assume the cost.

IMHO Tata is doing decently when it comes to EV. The price vs range compromise has been spot on with all 3 EVs. With Tata's new battery plant coming up in the UK and India, we will see new tech in the future.

The PunchMR gets lesser power to ensure a decent range with the lower pack and keeps costs less by having disc breaks only on front wheels..etc
sharathkamath04 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 17:04   #216
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Is it 5L more than top petrol variant? If that is the case then wouldn't it be better to just buy petrol one and spend the rest of the amount for fuel which still would be less than 5L.
The price difference between "Punch ICE Adventure AMT Rhythm Pack" and "Punch EV Adventure LR" is actually 4.6 Lakh. 4.6 Lakh will buy you petrol for about 50-55k km. It's a good plan.

But Punch EV is
Faster (by a country mile)
Safer (4 more airbags)
Quieter (Quietness of the EV powertrain)
Smoother (No AMT head nod, No 3cylinder vibes)
than Punch ICE.

Some of the money in those 4.6 lakhs also buys those extras. This is besides the fact that the Punch Adventure AMT Rhythm Pack has less bells and whistles compared to Punch EV Adventure LR.

And anyways, cars last a lot more than 55k km. Beyond that number, the Punch ICE AMT will still have all of those above characteristics it had since day one while still costing ~10x more to run per km (petrol prices increase too).

The Achilles heel of the Punch ICE was always its engine. The engine that 13k+ people did not mind buying last month. That weakness has now just been fixed. This launch has also made the Tata Tigor EV absolutely irrelevant (maybe the Tiago EV as well to a certain extent).

Last edited by antz.bin : 17th January 2024 at 17:07.
antz.bin is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 17:18   #217
BHPian

I really expected a faster charge speed, its a waste of everyones time from point of EV owners and the DV fast charging providers. Its high time they start putting batteries with over 1C charge rate now that they have easier way to run the cooling lines to the battery.
DIY410 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 17:49   #218
BHPian

Design-wise, why does Tata think that all higher variants of this car should have a black roof?

Mandatory dual tone in all variants Empowered and above.
That too without a white roof option? Really?
v01d is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 18:04   #219
BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Electric unveiled; bookings open

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It’s the same with Tiago MR/LR as well as Nexon MR/LR. The long range option has more power and torque. You are paying extra for not just a bigger battery, but also a more powerful motor. Considering that, LR always makes more sense.

And in Nexon at least, the performance difference between MR and LR is like VW’s 1.0 TSi vs 1.5 TSi.
The performance difference in MR and LR variants is partly because the battery sizes are too small. The 25KWH MR battery is tiny by EV standards. It just cannot provide enough peak current required to generate the power and torque available in the LR model that lets it do 0-100 in 9.5s. So, the MR's controllers provide a more sedate 13.5s 0-100kmph. The 35KWH LR battery is also not big. But it has 40% more cells than the 25KWH MR battery, which means the LR battery can provide a higher peak current and power comfortably.

There is another implication of these small battery sizes. For the same amount of total distance run, the 25KWH battery will degrade twice as fast as same type of battery with 50KWH capacity! Because it will undergo twice as many charge cycles.

If you are the type of buyer who keeps a car for long, like 10 years, it is better to wait 2-3 years to get a proper born/native electric car with a larger battery and high WHr/km efficiency. Apart from the reason that battery prices are expected to fall another 40% in the next couple of years.

Indian EVs are like the early computers. We know every couple of years the new models will have better range and performance, they will be better packaged and cheaper, and far more reliable as the manufacturing systems and designs for EVs mature.
guptad42 is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 18:44   #220
BHPian

Excellent pricing from Tata. Compared to other variants, adventure is most VFM i think.
Looks like Tata is going to take 2nd position in 2024 for overall vehicle sale.
Old 17th January 2024, 19:26   #221
Senior - BHPian

Here's how the Punch EV compares to the Tiago EV, Tigor EV, MG Comet and Citroen eC3.

Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open-20240117_192545.jpg
Venkatesh is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 19:32   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
This launch has also made the Tata Tigor EV absolutely irrelevant (maybe the Tiago EV as well to a certain extent).
I think Tiago EV will suffer the most. I see lot of Tigor EV's doing cab duties. They kind of replaced dzire diesel's I guess.
Revvatron is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 20:08   #223
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by punto_ View Post
Attached Hyderabad prices. It’s over 5L (top variant) expensive vs the Petrol variant.
Is this the top variant EV's price inclusive of things like sun roof, massive screen, 360 cameras, 6 air bags, ventilated seats etc versus the top petrol variant that does not carry these features?
shortbread is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 20:24   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
Is this the top variant EV's price inclusive of things like sun roof, massive screen, 360 cameras, 6 air bags, ventilated seats etc versus the top petrol variant that does not carry these features?
The top variant of EV price is inclusive of all the mentioned items except sun roof.

According to videos and documents, sun roof is an additional item for rs.50k.

In Tata website variant picker, it is mentioned as Empowered+S LR variant at rs.14.99L with sunroof and mood lighting.
King_Julien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 20:27   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
I think Tiago EV will suffer the most. I see lot of Tigor EV's doing cab duties. They kind of replaced dzire diesel's I guess.
This is absolutely correct. I brought the tigor ev almost 2 years ago at an ex showroom price of 13.5 lakhs! Now the vastly superior punch and that too LR and 6 airbags is only 15 something ex showroom.

In that sense, the pricing is an absolute steal IMHO.
Nanolover is offline   (8) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks