Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 12:37   #196
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Punch Electric unveiled, bookings open

These prices are indeed very good, especially for Long Range variants! A good number of Nexon EV buyers will shift their bookings to this one. Not a problem as long as the customer stays with the brand.

By the way, 50k premium just for the sunroof seems to be on the higher side. Is it the norm with such optional extras?
self_driven is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:40   #197
BHPian

I am just bummed out by the charging times, Gen 2 this Gen 2 that but at the end, it is still following Gen 1 and that too after 4 years of launching. MG ZS EV started with 44kwh battery and ended up with 50.3kwh in a short span of time but Tata is struggling to go beyond 40kwh.
DarthVeda is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:51   #198

The price difference has to be compared with tiago petrol AMT of the same version to EV. In bangalore it is hardly 1.5-2lakhs as there is no Road tax on EV.
edges is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 12:52   #199
Senior - BHPian

All you need to know about the Punch.ev

Venkatesh is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 13:23   #200
BHPian

Disappointed with the launch.

Especially the way MR vs LR model has been treated. I think only the range and battery differentiation was required. But giving different engine configuration (BHP and Torque) wasnt really expected.

May be, the base Smart model should be price at 9.99 and the Smart+ at 10.49.

Cancelling my booking. The switch from ICE to EV era gets postponed for now.

Last edited by Grr7 : 17th January 2024 at 13:24. Reason: Spelling error
Grr7 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 13:32   #201
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

So the breakeven point between Punch 1.2 AMT and the Punch EV is about 50k km. For those 50k km, you have a more silent and quicker car with more features that does not need to make the fortnightly (in my case) visit to the petrol pump.

I think most people could work with that. Diesels were quite famous in the BS4 era and the break-even for most was between 40-80k in the mass market segments. Most of those diesels were neither more powerful nor more silent than their petrol counterpart. Also those Diesels usually didn't come with AT. This EV has now price parity with the BS4 era Diesels. And the more you run, the better the situation gets.

Last edited by antz.bin : 17th January 2024 at 13:34.
antz.bin is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 13:51   #202
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthVeda View Post
I am just bummed out by the charging times, Gen 2 this Gen 2 that but at the end, it is still following Gen 1 and that too after 4 years of launching. MG ZS EV started with 44kwh battery and ended up with 50.3kwh in a short span of time but Tata is struggling to go beyond 40kwh.
On the battery side, Tata Motors is selling almost the same ~2018 LFP cell technology that they launched with in the first Nevon EV model. There are minor gains from packaging the cells better in a battery pack, but none of the last 5 years of battery chemistry improvements and price drops seem to reflect in the latest Tata Motors EVs. This strategy works for the short term, because there is no real competition and Tata Motors have figured out that good looking designs and lot of gadgets can provide a modern feel without updating the old EV tech!

If any other players get aggressive, they could offer 30% more capacity from same physical size and weight battery. Or even more. Which will make these so-called gen1/1.5/2 EVs totally uncompetitive. Secondly, this old cell tech strategy also holds back the growth rate of EV sales in India, because it keeps battery KWH capacity and driving range smaller than desired by most buyers.

We need strong competition in the Indian EV scene. The rumoured new EV manufacturing policy can help.
  1. Although triggered by the desire to get Tesla to India, it will be offered to all new EV plant investments meeting a minimum scale, to establish a level playing field
  2. Expected to be linked directly to production targets (e.g. lower import duty on battery cells only if you annually produce 2x the imported cells in India within 2 years). Set up progressive targets for value addition and materials from India, inspired by the US Inflation Reduction Act.
  3. For countries bordering India (read China), govt can add a clause for majority Indian shareholding and Indian management in all key positions for the Indian business. Not very different from what MG and Sajjan Jindal are doing. Perhaps BYD can also scale up using this route, with someone deep-pocketed like Ambanis as the controlling shareholder for the India business. BYD had no issues accepting Warren Buffet as a shareholder. Will be great if some of the battery PLI plants can rope in CATL as well. The idea is to learn from the EV battery industry that's far ahead of us without handing over the market to Chinese imported EVs. Make them here in India.

We should take inspiration from Europe for the biggest push for Indian carmakers to launch many more EV models and price them to sell. Standards for average fleet emissions, also called CAFE rules were enforced from 2020 and made more stringent in 2023.
  • European carmakers have to hefty penalties per car sold if average emissions per km per car exceed 95grams of CO2 equivalent. So, brands selling cars in Europe have a big incentive to introduce zero emission EVs and price them well to sell!
  • India also has CAFE rules, but the govt has been dragging feet on implementing the fines on offending carmakers. Indian norms also need to be tightened up to match EU norms and remove loopholes for hybrids.
guptad42 is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 13:56   #203
BANNED

Disappointed with pricing.. Empowered+ LR with Sunroof and 7.2Kw charger exshowroom at 15.5L whereas XUV400 EL Pro with same battery 34.5kwh and same charger and Sunroof costing 16.5L exshowroom. With 1L additional you get bigger car and loose some fancy features
sumosari is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:00   #204
BHPian

What an excellent launch of an excellent car!

Indians always love a car that looks good, offers space, has a few feel good features and excellent mileage. Tata Punch offers all of these.

The volumes will come from the smart+ and adventure variants of the 315km range car. I think most customers will be willing to pay 12-13 lakhs on road for a car that is such an awesome looker and provides all the benefits of an EV.

Although, Indians do not buy different cars for city and highway. Therefore, most sales will come from people who want a second car. We will not see Punch ICE buyers (who bought one car for home to be used for next ten-fifteen years across all kinds of usage) to Punch EV. To get wallet share of Punch ICE buyers, Tata will have to launch Punch ICE with all the same features, proper AT (standard 6-speed that Maruti has should do) at a good price.
sjain2054 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:11   #205
Senior - BHPian

Tata has overpriced the Punch EV by atleast a lakh.

For any EV owner, the fancy features lose prominence within a few months. A larger battery in lieu of these features will add value for any EV owner. Tata could have provided a larger battery pack for additional cost instead of offering sunroof and AC charger for a lakh more.
speedmiester is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:20   #206

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

Especially the way MR vs LR model has been treated. I think only the range and battery differentiation was required. But giving different engine configuration (BHP and Torque) wasnt really expected.

May be, the base Smart model should be price at 9.99 and the Smart+ at 10.49.

Cancelling my booking. The switch from ICE to EV era gets postponed for now.
Even i am dissapointed as i was expecting the same considering the similar price difference between tiago and punch petrol amt models.
edges is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 14:40   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmiester View Post
Tata has overpriced the Punch EV by atleast a lakh.

For any EV owner, the fancy features lose prominence within a few months. A larger battery in lieu of these features will add value for any EV owner. Tata could have provided a larger battery pack for additional cost instead of offering sunroof and AC charger for a lakh more.
Not just for an EV owner, but for any owner, the fancy features lose prominence soon. But in the ICE segment, people are still not stopping from doing that. TATA seems to be following the ICE rule book and hoping that EV folks would also do the same. I hope they have done enough research on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri_tesla View Post
Pricing is too high for such a small car with tiny batteries. Once again, Tata is concentrating on fancy features instead of important EV must-haves like reasonable-sized batteries, range, and decent DC fast charging. Looks like they are ready to be overtaken by Mahindra in the EV market just like SUVs. If the rumored XUV300 EV with 35kWh is priced at around Rs 14 lakhs, then that's what will happen in EVs as well.
Despite having the first mover advantage, despite having a 100% monopoly, Mahindra was not ready 10 years back. Mahindra is not ready even today. These words look good on paper only I guess. let us hope Mahindra can give a good fight as that will help us customers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjain2054 View Post
What an excellent launch of an excellent car!

The volumes will come from the smart+ and adventure variants of the 315km range car. I think most customers will be willing to pay 12-13 lakhs on road for a car that is such an awesome looker and provides all the benefits of an EV.
This effectively means there is no longer any logic to buy Tiago/Tigor EV for personal use I guess.
RaghuVis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 15:19   #208
BHPian

No comments on pricing, but I expected faster DCFC speeds with the new platform from Tata. Wondering if they're being conservative due to concerns about battery degradation.
Old 17th January 2024, 15:27   #209
BHPian

Attached Hyderabad prices. It’s over 5L (top variant) expensive vs the Petrol variant.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Punch EV pricelist.pdf (571.9 KB, 161 views)
punto_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2024, 15:30   #210
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grr7 View Post

It’s the same with Tiago MR/LR as well as Nexon MR/LR. The long range option has more power and torque. You are paying extra for not just a bigger battery, but also a more powerful motor. Considering that, LR always makes more sense.

And in Nexon at least, the performance difference between MR and LR is like VW’s 1.0 TSi vs 1.5 TSi.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (12) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks