Team-BHP > Electric Cars
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2023, 12:00   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata delivers 10,000 Tiago EVs in under 4 months

Quote:
Originally Posted by cka View Post
In Gurgaon I have used Blusmart cabs multiple times and they have an ever increasing fleet of Tata Electric cars. Until the data isn't segregated, we can't be sure on how much of these is bought by end users.
If you can recall, can you share which model were these cars? Nexon, Tiago, Tigor, or the the variant made specifically for fleet Taxis?

TIA
SedateGuy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:19   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjayant View Post

Things however change as soon I speak with folks and friends back home, they still don't think EVs to be a suitable alternate to ICE; not even for daily city commutes. Some of them are tech enthusiasts and early adopters; I have reasons to respect their opinion.

It's the usual hesitation which comes with new technology. So I don't blame them. But here is what I would suggest:

1. Come back to India, TD the cars, and experience things firsthand. The driving experience especially at the budget end of the market is incredible on EVs and it's not something that you can internalize without actually experiencing it.
2. While the tech is new to India, EVs have been around for close to two decades so the tech that we are getting like LFP is actually 2nd or 3rd generation depending on how you define it.
3. Teambhp has a wealth of information on EVs and the community is very helpful in general.

As someone who uses EVs as my primary car with significant highway driving, this is the advice I give friends and family:

If you have covered car parking with access to setting up a 15A socket and your usage is mainly city driving, close your eyes and buy an EV. You won't go wrong.

If your drives involve significant highway driving, do some research on your most common routes on Plugshare for reliable fast charging options. But don't expect a fuss-free experience on every single trip. Be prepared for a little bit of hassle in terms of planning and spending an extra 30-60 mins at times. For those of us who are passionate about EVs, this is trivial but I don't think it is something that can be generalized.
shyampsunder is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 12:50   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cka View Post
In Gurgaon I have used Blusmart cabs multiple times and they have an ever increasing fleet of Tata Electric cars. Until the data isn't segregated, we can't be sure on how much of these is bought by end users.
Blu smart uses Xpress-T Tigors. They are not buying Nexon and Tiago so those are only going to end buyers. So the Tiago numbers are purely end buyers.
ferrarirules is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 14:21   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have been out of the country for more than 3 years now and from what I keep reading on India and EVs; I am buoyant about getting myself an EV on return.
If you have your own parking space with a power outlet and don't do long distance driving on a regular basis, you're fine using an EV. Also try getting an opinion from both sides of the fence, ie. feedback from people who are using EVs in you locality. First user experience will give you a more realistic picture, eg. if you ever pass by a charging point in your town, speak to the owner charging their car there etc..
shortbread is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 18:48   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrarirules View Post
Blu smart uses Xpress-T Tigors. They are not buying Nexon and Tiago so those are only going to end buyers. So the Tiago numbers are purely end buyers.
Yes, Tiago has a lot of private buyers. We also bought one recently. Good value as a urban beater car.
chinkara is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 7th May 2023, 21:22   #21
BHPian

Tigor.ev uses ziptron platform (300v, 100+ ps) vs xpres-T uses electra platform (72v, 40 ps). Even charging ports/protocols are different. So they are not exactly same cars. Tata has clearly differentiated between fleet buyers vs private buyers. Not sure how much Tigor.ev (not xpres-T) is selling but anything sold will be private.
Comrade is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 00:35   #22
BANNED

I am eagerly waiting to see the Nano ev being resurrected and launched as a aspirational car may be something like a Smart.

I’ve owned 2 nano’s and am a Big Fan of the space available in the Nano. There is no better city car than the Nano - it needs to be repositioned as a style statement and not as the cheapest car(which actually killed it).

They should have only one top end model with a range of 150-170 kms and price of 7 lakh OTR - it’ll surely be another super hit ev story.
Old 8th May 2023, 02:48   #23

I always felt, electric cars will be a hit in a place like India if they come in small forms. TaMo has hit a sweet spot by bringing in Tiago eV in that place. Tata is doing wonders since last 8-10 years. They got in Electric avatar for their top selling Nexon which was an instant hit amongst buyers looking for electric options. Then they got Tigor eV and now Tiago eV. Auto Expo they showcased Harrier eV. Tata motors has shown the right intent, capability and a commitment for eV space and that will go a long way in inducing confidence in buyers to go electric. TaMo is leading eV segment and has a great advantage of early mover plus is building required engineering, after sales and spare parts network which will surely help TaMo in long run. Proud of you TaMo.
reach_gm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 10:48   #24
cka
BHPian

They are using maximum Tata Tigor/ Xpress-T Tigors (No Tiago as it doesnt make sense as they need boot space as maximum business is airport rides). They also have MG and BYD in their fleet for premium rides and outstation trips. Have not seen a Nexon Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post
If you can recall, can you share which model were these cars? Nexon, Tiago, Tigor, or the the variant made specifically for fleet Taxis?

TIA

Last edited by cka : 8th May 2023 at 10:49.
Old 8th May 2023, 12:16   #25
BANNED

Quote:
One of the friends did also suggest that most of the units shipped are from mass govt procurement or cab fleet orders.

How true is that?
I doubt it is true at all. Tata Nexon is the most common EV and I have not seen a single yellow-plate Nexon on the roads, or one with a government organization sticker/logo. They are all privately owned. I have seen one commercial-fleet Tigor EV (green and yellow plate) which had a hotel name and logo on it.

I am guessing, however, that most buyers have a facility to charge at home or in the office.
Old 8th May 2023, 15:10   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I doubt it is true at all. Tata Nexon is the most common EV and I have not seen a single yellow-plate Nexon on the roads, or one with a government organization sticker/logo. They are all privately owned. I have seen one commercial-fleet Tigor EV (green and yellow plate) which had a hotel name and logo on it.

I am guessing, however, that most buyers have a facility to charge at home or in the office.
Tigor EV actually is used by many fleet guys in Bangalore and the new age electric cab companies. However NExon and Tiago are all private only.

Good timing for this thread. Last weekend I noticed 3 tiago EVs in a 30min span on road and was wondering how the deliveries are coming along.
supertinu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2023, 16:02   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SedateGuy View Post

TIA
They have mainly Tata Tigors (XPres-T Variant) , some Mahindra e-Verito and even MG ZS EV, BYD E6 & Hyundai KONA!! Hope they have done their economies of scale calculation right.

I truly believe the lower segment of cars may become all electric if the govt. supports with the subsidy in a stable concrete manner.

Last edited by Moto$apien : 8th May 2023 at 16:06.
Old 9th May 2023, 09:00   #28
BHPian

Quote:
I have not seen a single yellow-plate Nexon on the roads, or one with a government organization sticker/logo.
I have seen a lot of Nexon EVs owned by the TTD (Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanam) Officials. I think this is due to the electric push given by TTD. TTD also has numerous electric busses for transporting the pilgrims to the hill top temple.
abc_xyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 11:59   #29
BHPian

Quote:

I have not seen a single yellow-plate Nexon on the roads, or one with a government organization sticker/logo.
Govt purchase varies from state to state. In TN most govt EV purchase seems to be E rickshaws by municipalities for collecting garbage.

Kerala Govt motor vehicles department uses Nexon EV for RTO.

Quote:

The Kerala MVD will lease 65 Nexon EVs for a period of 8-years from the Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) through the Agency for New and Renewable Energy Research and Technology (ANERT)

Source

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 9th May 2023 at 12:03. Reason: Please close ending sentences with full stops.
Old 9th May 2023, 21:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations TATA. Thats an awesome feat. I hope they become the maruti of EVs

Quote:
Things however change as soon I speak with folks and friends back home, they still don't think EVs to be a suitable alternate to ICE; not even for daily city commutes. Some of them are tech enthusiasts and early adopters; I have reasons to respect their opinion.
Here in Bangalore EVs are already becoming a common sight. Heck my apartment has a charging station(5-6 docks) which always have 2-3 vehicles plugged in now-a-days. A gradual change from 2021 when it used to be a rare sight.

EV two wheelers(Ola/Ather/okinawa) are almost as common as say a R15 now here. 4 wheelers a little less but still getting common by the day. Yes a ZS-EV/BYD is rare but TATA EVs are a very common sight now.

For 1-car garages its obviously not ideal yet but as a 2nd car in Tier-1 cities it is becoming pretty popular. And this is where Tiago.EV makes a solid case. Compact, smooth, feature loaded, powerful enough for 4 people to sprint around the city comfortably & ofcourse supports fast-charging

Last edited by SoumenD : 9th May 2023 at 21:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks